Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

There are few things that I’m seeing that have me excited for not only this year but long into the future.Shiano was an idiot we all know that, one thing I hated was how much of the work load he put into a handful of guys. Instead of having complimentary pieces and giving your main cogs a break from time to time... which is basically due to zero creativity by the coaching staff, and horrible depth/bad drafting by the GM.Let's take a look at Doug Martin. In his rookie year Shiano was doing the same thing Gruden did with Cadillac... running a very good runner right into the ground. Cadillac's most carries in a season 290, Martin... 319 in year one. 2nd year of Doug's career, same trajectory, at least his shoulder injury saved him from 300 more carries with no oline and the most predictable play calling in the history of football. Schiano was a stubborn old fool and wouldn't have had a clue that he was shortening the career of a very good runner.I like what Chris Simms said in a video I posted in another thread, RB's are getting screwed in today's NFL, add someone to compliment your main guy, give him a breather/keep him fresh. Running back by committee has made the most sense for the longest but stubborn coaches like Gruden and Schiano thought other wise. So with Martin, let him have a good/longer than average career. Plus it only makes sense since the team invested a first round draft pick in him.To me the tape is telling, check out Martin here at 0:41 (2012 week 2 vs Giants)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtmCYaQlNLYLast year Martin does not make such an athletic move or anything close to that.His second year he looked like he aged in ability, how much who knows...but enough for it to be noticeable. To me Doug Martin is not the type of guy who gets in worse shape. His conditioning should never be questioned. It's the ridiculous amount of carries from year one that made him a less dynamic player in year 2.I can go on but basically I just love our picks. Sims what he'll do for Martin and the offense. Evans could easily extend the career of Vincent Jackson...due to less coverage, and his effectiveness in the slot. And ASJ gives Tim Wright much more room if we run 2 TE sets. I just love the thinking by L&L, they have a very high football IQ and think out side the box in a good and logical way. To me the path is being set for our players to succeed and to have longer careers with the Bucs.Hearing Shaun King this morning he made a great point, we made some awesome picks but it really puts the pressure on Jeff Tedford. Only a few people in the league know how to utilize so many weapons and take advantage of all the mismatches (Peyton in New Orleans) I believe he can do it, it just may need time to gel. Long gone are the days of Sullivan handling the offense.So happy for the players and the entire Buc nation that the Glazers cleaned house, the product on the field will finally be something to be proud of.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with King…  that doesn’t happen often.The pressure IS on Tedford and his staff.    Really hope he's refreshed and can utilize all these guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have to give some credit to the last regime.  Leaving a defense let the new guys go all offense in this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought for sure this thread was going to be about Gruden.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree somewhat with OP, but I still think the Simms pick was a complete waste. RBbyCommittee does not need a committee of 4. We have Doug, who is getting greatly disrespected of late – can’t believe how many forget how good this guy is, Mike James, and Bobby Rainey…all well rounded backs. I’m not even including Demps either. Simms shouldn’t get more than 3-5 touches a game with the weapons on this offense. I think OL would have been a MUCH better selection.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have to give some credit to the last regime.  Leaving a defense let the new guys go all offense in this draft.

McCoy was an easy pick to make. Goldson/Barron = 2 strong safeties. One was a high priced FA, and the other 7th overall.Revis trade cost the team 16 million, and cost them the chance of drafting Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotulelei.No 4th this year.Passed on Cameron Jordan for Clayborn.David makes up for a lot of that... but still...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The stats are clear and the stats say when a RB touches the ball over (X) amount of times, they have a very very high chance of injury the next year and not finishing the season. Doug was above that point in his rookie year and surprise surprise he got hurt. Above and beyond that the benefit of having two or more guys carrie the ball are as follows:1. Fewer hits, fewer chances for injury.2. More rest meaning they are fresher, stronger, faster when they do touch the ball.3. Constant competition amongst the backs for more playing time.4. Development of multiple players.It's the Marion Barber syndrome. Barber was a bruiser and a beast to bring down. He was also a compliment back. He got 10-12 carries a game and did very very well with those carries. Giving him more carries, making him the primary back, doesn't work because his style does not lend itself to 20 carries a game. He expends ALOT of energy on every play him running the ball more often left him with less energy to exert that maximal effort that made him so effective. Anyway you slice it, doug was not the guy this year he was last year, even before the injury. Doug was one of the best YAC RB in the NFL in '12 and one of the worst in '13. You can't pound these guys into the ground, I just cant believe that coachs are still going with that ancient philosphy. Unless you have AP, you'd better have a comparible spell or kiss your starters butt goodbye.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The stats are clear and the stats say when a RB touches the ball over (X) amount of times, they have a very very high chance of injury the next year and not finishing the season. Doug was above that point in his rookie year and surprise surprise he got hurt. Above and beyond that the benefit of having two or more guys carrie the ball are as follows:1. Fewer hits, fewer chances for injury.2. More rest meaning they are fresher, stronger, faster when they do touch the ball.3. Constant competition amongst the backs for more playing time.4. Development of multiple players.It's the Marion Barber syndrome. Barber was a bruiser and a beast to bring down. He was also a compliment back. He got 10-12 carries a game and did very very well with those carries. Giving him more carries, making him the primary back, doesn't work because his style does not lend itself to 20 carries a game. He expends ALOT of energy on every play him running the ball more often left him with less energy to exert that maximal effort that made him so effective. Anyway you slice it, doug was not the guy this year he was last year, even before the injury. Doug was one of the best YAC RB in the NFL in '12 and one of the worst in '13. You can't pound these guys into the ground, I just cant believe that coachs are still going with that ancient philosphy. Unless you have AP, you'd better have a comparible spell or kiss your starters butt goodbye.

Why are you ignoring Mike James and Bobby Rainey? They are still on the roster and proved more than capable of splitting the lead with Martin or even taking over for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree somewhat with OP, but I still think the Simms pick was a complete waste. RBbyCommittee does not need a committee of 4. We have Doug, who is getting greatly disrespected of late - can't believe how many forget how good this guy is, Mike James, and Bobby Rainey...all well rounded backs. I'm not even including Demps either. Simms shouldn't get more than 3-5 touches a game with the weapons on this offense. I think OL would have been a MUCH better selection.

Sims is instantly the most versatile player on the offense. He could be the #1 RB if need be, he could be used in the slot...can pass protect... it's his unique skill set for being a 3 down player that sets him apart... on the 3rd downs we are going to love him. Yes we have good RB's but none can run routes, catch or get YAC the way Sims can. The Sims pick is brilliant, he's an all around player, not just a gadget. Our offense can now do things like the Eagles, Saints, and Bears.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s like bizzaro world looking at the possibilities.    The Buccaneers? with an unpredictable offense?  Still trying to make that compute.Tedford better come through for us.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doug posted 50 receptions and nearly 500 receiving yards in this league his rookie season. He IS a complete back. Sims has posted highlights in college, Doug has done it in the pros.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's like bizzaro world looking at the possibilities.    The Buccaneers? with an unpredictable offense?  Still trying to make that compute.Tedford better come through for us. 

Bold Prediction:  1st series of the year we go Run, Run, Play Action Pass...Red Board melts down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doug posted 50 receptions and nearly 500 receiving yards in this league his rookie season. He IS a complete back. Sims has posted highlights in college, Doug has done it in the pros.

Well obviously you are not as good as an evalutor as L&L... because it's easy to see on tape that Doug is pedestrian at best after catching a pass. Has inconsistent hands... can't run long pro routes. I don't care about those 500 yards, by watching the offense the past 2 years it was obvious that we were limited by not having a true pass catcher out of the back field.Has Doug run routes, caught long passes for TD's like Forte/McCoy/Sproles? Absolutely not, no such game tape exists, that's why we picked Sims and why Martin will be on the bench resting on 3rd down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I still don’t like the Simms pick but the only explanation I can think of is they just don’t like the receiving skills of any of the backs and although Martin had some good numbers catching in 2012, maybe they think he was really propped up by a few big plays and on a down-in down-out basis he wasn’t good enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I still don't like the Simms pick but the only explanation I can think of is they just don't like the receiving skills of any of the backs and although Martin had some good numbers catching in 2012, maybe they think he was really propped up by a few big plays and on a down-in down-out basis he wasn't good enough.

Thinking the same FRG.  Still shaking my head at that pick but hopefully it works out.  I think I read he is also a good bit taller than James/Martin/Rainey...so maybe that is part of it too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I was surprised by the Sims pick, it may turn out to be brilliant. Sounds like Tedford wants RBs who can really catch. Sims is a converted WR who can line up anywhere. Guy has some real explosiveness too!I like Dougie but can't catch anything besides a screen pass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Obviously you are not as good as an evalutor as L&L... because it's easy to see on tape that Doug is pedestrian at best after catching a pass. Has inconsistent hands... can't run long pro routes. I don't care about those 500 yards, by watching the offense the past 2 years it was obvious that we were limited by not having a true pass catcher out of the back field.Has Doug run routes, caught long passes for TD's like Forte/McCoy/Sproles? Absolutely not, no such game tape exists, that's why we picked Sims and why Martin will be on the bench resting on 3rd down.

I'm actually starting to warm up to the pick. I think that's a good idea to run a committee in the backfield. And Sims looks to be an attractive option as a 3rd down back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let’s see how Doug’s shoulder is doing before saying the Sims pick wasn’t needed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let's see how Doug's shoulder is doing before saying the Sims pick wasn't needed.

Even if his shoulder has healed, wouldn't you prefer a mix of Sims and Martin?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well obviously you are not as good as an evalutor as L&L... because it's easy to see on tape that Doug is pedestrian at best after catching a pass. Has inconsistent hands... can't run long pro routes. I don't care about those 500 yards, by watching the offense the past 2 years it was obvious that we were limited by not having a true pass catcher out of the back field.Has Doug run routes, caught long passes for TD's like Forte/McCoy/Sproles? Absolutely not, no such game tape exists, that's why we picked Sims and why Martin will be on the bench resting on 3rd down.

Strong take. If there's one thing Tedford was good at in college, it was using his running backs in the passing game. If he thinks the Bucs running backs aren't good enough, I'm inclined to listen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let's see how Doug's shoulder is doing before saying the Sims pick wasn't needed.

I like the idea of having a different way to attack a defense if they have your bread and butter plays figured out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the idea of having a different way to attack a defense if they have your bread and butter plays figured out.

I'd still like to see Martin get more of the carries. Maybe a 60/40 split? Just to keep some thread on the tires.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd still like to see Martin get more of the carries. Maybe a 60/40 split? Just to keep some thread on the tires.

I'm still trying to figure out the O-line blocking schemes.  I always considered Tedford to be a better RB guru than QB guru.  Blocking may be the key to who gets cut and who gets kept.  Martin's shoulder could figure into that...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I understand it’s primarily zone to power….  can’t remember where I read that…It's not one or the other

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This Sims kid kinda reminds me of Jamaal Charles when he first came out. He’s fast but his acceleration is whats going to set him apart he can go from 0-60 start and stop without losing speed.and if you look at his highlights his feet never stop moving. I think the kids going to be a beast can't wait to see him on the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

some scout described his acceleration as ‘beautiful’…  I thought that strange, but damn sure encouraging.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I was surprised by the Sims pick, it may turn out to be brilliant. Sounds like Tedford wants RBs who can really catch. Sims is a converted WR who can line up anywhere. Guy has some real explosiveness too!I like Dougie but can't catch anything besides a screen pass.

yup

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.