Currently, there are 0 users and 3 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

The contract renegotiations for HC and GM were about more than that. They were about the Bucs setting in motion the path for the future. Licht extended for “multiple” years. Arians got a raise, but it was not reported that he got an extension or even that his 2023 “club” option year was firmed up. That has to be by Arians choice. That means that even though Arians publicly says he has no plans to retire, privately there is a transition plan for him to retire after 2022.

I’m not saying that plan is “set in stone,” but there has to be some kind of path to move forward. A successful organization doesn’t just use the “We’ll just see how it goes” plan, even if that’s how Bruce Arians portrays it. If Arians did firm up that 2023 year that would be different, but that wasn’t reported.

Two years is a long way away, but the work starts now. At the end of 2021 regular season both Leftwich and Bowles will likely be on the short list of candidates for HC jobs around the league. Jason Licht has to decide who will be the heir apparent and inform them both before they take a job elsewhere. He doesn’t want to be left with 2nd choice or neither. He has to be honest with both of them privately about what his thinking is.

Of course Licht already has his opinions. But with the situation more firmed up, he now knows what he has to do. He can start a more serious and deliberate process. He has this season to decide, and that season has already started.

Byron Leftwich or Todd Bowles? Jason Licht, who will you choose? Coaches, your audition starts…..now!

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Personally, I’d prefer bowles.

Leftwich likely ends up getting it.

• Roy

Participant

If the job started today, I’d prefer Bowles. But this scenario if you agree with it would call for the job to start in 2023. Its just that Licht has to make a projection. Can he project Leftwich will grow into head coaching material?

• obuc

Participant

You sound like someone I used to know. Agent 86; Maxwell Smart. He also thought he knew everything about everything and well… we know what happened. :)

• TBChucky

Participant

I’d prefer Bowles too.. I’d love to keep his aggressive system long term. With our offensive talent he’d be in a great position for success once BA hangs it up.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Bowles has already tried and failed once as a head coach. I say keep him as DC and bring in Josh McDaniels

• Boid Fink

Participant

Someone please explain to me why Leftwich is the ideal replacement? That idea makes me cringe…thank god for Brady. He made that offense work with his apparent nuances for 100% certain.

• buc_boi

Participant

Offense was top 5 with the rapist, that’s how good our offense is.

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

Still have to wonder, and maybe never get a straight answer, to everyone wondering how much of last season’s surge of offense after the bye was Brady and how much was Leftwich. Also how much did Arians get involved. Not to mention the question of who really was calling plays and if Brady had the option to switch to another play he liked better.

• Boid Fink

Participant

And 7-9 record wise. So it was a result if playing from behind. We know how that works.

Offense was top 5 with the rapist, that’s how good our offense is.

• Pennywise

Participant

I have been saying Lefty for a cpl years , won’t change my opinion now .

• Iowabucfan

Participant

I think Harold Goodwin will be in the mix.

Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Corinthians 3:17

• Roy

Participant

Still have to wonder, and maybe never get a straight answer, to everyone wondering how much of last season’s surge of offense after the bye was Brady and how much was Leftwich. Also how much did Arians get involved. Not to mention the question of who really was calling plays and if Brady had the option to switch to another play he liked better.

One thing’s for sure. The Brady Show will be a tough act to follow. What will the expectations be for a new coach with no Tom Brady?

• Boid Fink

Participant

Why would you? Better to be stubborn and irrational, than to try to be a forward thinker. Amirite?

I have been saying Lefty for a cpl years , won’t change my opinion now .

• Roy

Participant

The answer is Leftwich. Here’s why.

You have to look beyond that to think about what Licht thinks the team needs to do. With Brady at the helm, all starters returning, and a weak NFC South its hard to envision a total bust of a season. So lets assume for the purpose of this topic that the Bucs don’t have a total meltdown of a season.
      Licht will want to keep continuity. CONTINUITY is the key word here.

So which is easier?
      A) Keeping the same offensive system and getting a new defensive coordinator (or promoting from within for DC), or

B) keeping the DC and getting a new OC? This would mean a new offensive system. Even if you promote from within you’d have a new playcaller.

The answer is obvious. If you want continuity, keeping the continuity of the offensive system will be the priority. You have some good defensive players who will be able to adapt to some changes. Nobody wants to lose Bowles, but we could still continue on with a pretty good defense. The same can’t be said if we lost Arians, Leftwich and Brady. You’d have to get an experienced OC in here to try to patch together what’s left into a new system.

The answer is obvious. Byron Leftwich is the frontrunner, and he’ll be the next HC unless, frankly, he screws it up. And its not that he’s a better coach than Bowles. Bowles may in fact be the better coordinator. Its to keep the continuity on offense.

• Boid Fink

Participant

The answer is Byron stays as OC. And someone else becomes a HC. I’m not sure why everyone thinks Leftwich is the answer? I’m just curious as to where this anointing is coming from…

The answer is Leftwich. Here’s why.

You have to look beyond that to think about what Licht thinks the team needs to do. With Brady at the helm, all starters returning, and a weak NFC South its hard to envision a total bust of a season. So lets assume for the purpose of this topic that the Bucs don’t have a total meltdown of a season.
      Licht will want to keep continuity. CONTINUITY is the key word here.

So which is easier?
      A) Keeping the same offensive system and getting a new defensive coordinator (or promoting from within for DC), or

B) keeping the DC and getting a new OC? This would mean a new offensive system. Even if you promote from within you’d have a new playcaller.

The answer is obvious. If you want continuity, keeping the continuity of the offensive system will be the priority. You have some good defensive players who will be able to adapt to some changes. Nobody wants to lose Bowles, but we could still continue on with a pretty good defense. The same can’t be said if we lost Arians, Leftwich and Brady. You’d have to get an experienced OC in here to try to patch together what’s left into a new system.

The answer is obvious. Byron Leftwich is the frontrunner, and he’ll be the next HC unless, frankly, he screws it up. And its not that he’s a better coach than Bowles. Bowles may in fact be the better coordinator. Its to keep the continuity on offense.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Of the two, Leftwich will be given a shot first. Bowles past record in New York as a HC is scary.

We’ve seen what great QB’s can do for mediocre OC’s careers. See Adam Gase and Peyton Manning.

• TCB2W!

Participant

And exactly how many winning season with the Jets in the last 50 years? Oh 14? Yeah that’s not an indictment on Bowles.

• kenntak

Participant

How about Brady in a year, lol.

• Roy

Participant

Boid. You sure bailed out on that one. There are 32 HC jobs in the world, and when you get that opportunity you take it. With another successful season this year, both Leftwich and Bowles are getting interviews. Licht has to make a decision, or let the other teams decide for him. Which one are you going to do if you are Licht?

A) Don’t decide. Let the other teams decide for you and possibly lose them both.

B) Make a decision. Handshake promise to Leftwich to be heir apparent.

C) Make a decision. Handshake promise to Bowles to be heir apparent.

Those are your three choices. Don’t chicken out this time.

As for my statement favoring Leftwich, I thought it was obvious that the Bucs would favor the offense. However, SR in his Fab 5 seems to think the defense is a priority. “Licht has put a strong emphasis on building Tampa Bay’s defense in the draft over the last four years, selecting 18 defensive players as opposed to 11. Fourteen of those 18 defensive draft picks are still on the Bucs’ current roster. An elite defense can beat an elite offense.” I’ll stick with my opinion, but certainly there’s an argument that defense wins championships and keeping that defense intact is the highest priority, and can you do that with a different coach?

• Biggs3535

Participant

And exactly how many winning season with the Jets in the last 50 years? Oh 14? Yeah that’s not an indictment on Bowles.

I’m not talking about his record. There are multiple articles on how dysfunctional that locker room was under his leadership. It was pretty bad.

• Roy

Participant

How about Brady in a year, lol.

Can’t argue with that choice.

The only person who went straight from playing to head coach without being an assistant or college coach first was Norm Van Brocklin. He retired in 1960 and was coaching the expansion Vikings in 1961. Correct me if I’m wrong about that. If anybody could do it though, it would be Brady because of his age and understanding of the intricacies of football. I just don’t see him wanting to be an NFL head coach. I’d be happy to be wrong about that.

• Roy

Participant

I’m not talking about his record. There are multiple articles on how dysfunctional that locker room was under his leadership. It was pretty bad.

But his locker room right now is not dysfunctional. Is that all because of Arians? Bowles also had the misfortune of having lousy starting quarterbacks. If you are losing, that can breed dysfunction. Not to make excuses for him, but you have to have a good organization to succeed.

• TBChucky

Participant

When Arians was hired he said he was trying to groom Lefty to be the heir apparent coach. I just hate the thought of losing Bowles.. I think it’ll obviously be one or the other. Unless something unseen happens like they BOTH get head jobs next offseason before BA hangs it up, which honestly could sway him to retire by itself.. Licht has already went the OC promotion route with Koetter. His opinion on Leftwich would have to be based on whether or not he feels he could succeed where Dirk couldn’t.

• Boid Fink

Participant

When did he say he was grooming Byron?

I don’t think Byrons “brilliance” as an OC is going to garner much love in the open market. See Eric Bieniemy in Kansas.

When Arians was hired he said he was trying to groom Lefty to be the heir apparent coach. I just hate the thought of losing Bowles.. I think it’ll obviously be one or the other. Unless something unseen happens like they BOTH get head jobs next offseason before BA hangs it up, which honestly could sway him to retire by itself.. Licht has already went the OC promotion route with Koetter. His opinion on Leftwich would have to be based on whether or not he feels he could succeed where Dirk couldn’t.

• Biggs3535

Participant

But his locker room right now is not dysfunctional. Is that all because of Arians? Bowles also had the misfortune of having lousy starting quarterbacks. If you are losing, that can breed dysfunction. Not to make excuses for him, but you have to have a good organization to succeed.

These are excuses. If he’s not able to lead men, then he’s not able to lead men. He’s an excellent DC, but he’s not a HC.

Whatever gripe anybody has with Arians, he’s proven to be a good leader wherever he’s been.

• Charles

Participant

Licht would be gone if not for Brady.

What’s licht’s record without Brady?

Sorry but I have zero faith in this org after Brady is gone.

Back to a bunch of losers.

• Boid Fink

Participant

I agree somewhat. I put a lot of the Lombardi in Brady’s hands….he really turned the culture around.

Licht would be gone if not for Brady.

What’s licht’s record without Brady?

Sorry but I have zero faith in this org after Brady is gone.

Back to a bunch of losers.

• TBChucky

Participant

Hopefully after a few seasons with Brady the team manages to keep that winning culture. There will probably be some drop off once TB12 retires. But if they keep building the defense I think they can maintain a winning team into the future.

• Roy

Participant

It is what it is. Licht was given the extension and Arians wasn’t given one. Why did Arians take a pay raise rather than an extension? He just came off winning the Superbowl. He had all the leverage you could want, and coaches like extensions just to give themselves more power with the players. Even if Arians got an extension of a year or two, that wouldn’t prevent him from retiring if he wanted to. But he apparently didn’t even want an extra year for appearances sake. This indicates to me that even though he publicly says he has no plans to retire, he has no plans to keep coaching beyond the next two years.

So would Arians pull a Belichick and keep a coordinator hanging around as the heir apparent and then never retire? I don’t see Arians hanging on until they pry his cold dead hands off the job. Arians already retired once and reversed it, deciding he had some more coaching in him after all. But it just seems to me he’ll be more than happy to hang it up after a couple more years once the Brady window has closed.

• Darktanian

Participant

Don’t rule out Tom Brady being the next head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

There’s more than one way he can get a championship ring.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.