Viewing 48 reply threads

• Author

• MGOBucs

Participant

Looking to get fans perspectives on the offensive line situation. A lot of fans are ready to draft a new QB but should we solidify our offensive line a bit more? What are your thoughts and reasons for them?I feel like we have good core components but we are in dire need of an OG and depth. The thought of drafting a QB or and WR when we could get a solid guy on the line doesn't make much sense to me. Nicks was awesome but we have yet to see him really play. Given the interview today he hopes to make training camp. We need some attitude up front who can keep the ball moving down the field. Lewan has a mean streak I like in a lineman. G. Robinson has a huge upside and Matthews is coming out of a OT Factory. Any of them could play OG or OT on either side and give us some help in a much needed area. Also… We have ONE CENTER ON ROSTER. Drafting and OG who could pull double duty at center would be equally as helpful. Thoughts?Shoot straight.Go Bucs!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we need to address it within the first 3 picks and try to come out of the draft with two of our picks used on OL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No question in my mind at least 1 G gets picked by the 3rd round. If Nicks struggles, we’re in big trouble unless we get another starting caliber G in the draft or trade.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On paper its the worst line since 2005/2006

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We have and elite RT, better than average Center and a LT who played well in spot duty but has not been a full time starter yet. We have two giant holes at Guard with Nicks playing or not and Meredith playing well in ’11 and very badly in ’12

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thin and unproven. That’s it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Need more proven guards.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree that we need to draft a stud OG in the 2nd round.  I would grab Joel Bittonio from Nevada.  Plug and play

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thoughts: We need to find two guards and an emergency fill in OT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tackles are fine. Center is fine. Guards are a bit more of a mystery but that is a bag of rocks spot who in the end who the hell cares. 80% of Nicks and Meredith and we should be fine. Draft a guy on day 3 to be depth at guard/compete. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we likely take an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round…..but there are also quite a few OG prospects that might be options later on in the draft. Trai Turner, Jon Halapio, Russell Bodine, Brandon Thomas, and Kadeem Edwards are all strong possibilities for us in the latter rounds. I think we probably end up signing some old vets off the street as stop gaps to get us through 2014. I just don't see us spending half our draft picks on OL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

on paper you all have been saying how talented  the line was for years.  At least during the offseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

” A lot of fans are ready to draft a new QB but should we solidify our offensive line a bit more?…I feel like we have good core components but we are in dire need of an OG and depth.”So I assume you are referring to our 1st round pick.  So you think it makes more sense to take a OG in the top 10 than a QB?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Awful starting roster and terrible depth. I fully expect us to trade down at some point to recover the missing 4th rounder ... at least. Trade way down draft Sua Filo. If you do that and pick up extra picks you would be sitting pretty.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we likely take an OG in the 2nd or 3rd round.....but there are also quite a few OG prospects that might be options later on in the draft. Trai Turner, Jon Halapio, Russell Bodine, Brandon Thomas, and Kadeem Edwards are all strong possibilities for us in the latter rounds. I think we probably end up signing some old vets off the street as stop gaps to get us through 2014. I just don't see us spending half our draft picks on OL.

Unfortunately we don't have the depth to take Thomas since he isn't going to play this year due to the injury. We're probably going to need to take 2 interior OL that can play sooner rather than later.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

on paper you all have been saying how talented  the line was for years.  At least during the offseason.

And we had some pretty decent offenses.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tackles are fine. Center is fine. Guards are a bit more of a mystery but that is a bag of rocks spot who in the end who the hell cares. 80% of Nicks and Meredith and we should be fine. Draft a guy on day 3 to be depth at guard/compete.

Precisely.  RG could use an upgrade, but doesn't need to be an early draft pick.  Lord knows the team has played with a horrible RG for years, so even if Meredith blows balls it's not that big of a deal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

bananaburn.gif bananaburn.gif bananaburn.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Honest thoughts? Have posters been hesitant to speak their mind on the O Line situation? The O Line will be fine. It's almost there right now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They just need to mesh together.They haven't worked as a UNIT, which is incredibly important.  The talent is there, the depth isn't.And the Bucs have been bad for a loooooong time.So people being negative is going to happen Joe.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our OL and WR corp may be the two worst depth wise that the NFL has seen in a very long time.  After Vjax we dont have any receiver that can handle the #2  slot, let alone the #1 slot should he get injured.  It’s as bad as I can remember.  OL isn’t a ton better and I’m still not sure why we let Zuttah go but I feel a little bit better with the Nicks news.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The team needs another OG, but I think folks are underestimating the additions that the team made in free agency.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our OL and WR corp may be the two worst depth wise that the NFL has seen in a very long time.  After Vjax we dont have any receiver that can handle the #2  slot, let alone the #1 slot should he get injured.  It's as bad as I can remember.  OL isn't a ton better and I'm still not sure why we let Zuttah go but I feel a little bit better with the Nicks news.

Said that already, and it is a major knock on Lovie for ditching MW19.  But there could have been extenuating circumstances involved...like MW didn't WANT to be there anymore.  Or Lovie flat out didn't want MW there because of his personality.  Who knows.But he threw away a viable piece of the offense, and set the team back.  Go Bucs!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our OL and WR corp may be the two worst depth wise that the NFL has seen in a very long time.  After Vjax we dont have any receiver that can handle the #2  slot, let alone the #1 slot should he get injured.  It's as bad as I can remember.  OL isn't a ton better and I'm still not sure why we let Zuttah go but I feel a little bit better with the Nicks news.

Said that already, and it is a major knock on Lovie for ditching MW19.  But there could have been extenuating circumstances involved...like MW didn't WANT to be there anymore.  Or Lovie flat out didn't want MW there because of his personality.  Who knows.But he threw away a viable piece of the offense, and set the team back.  Go Bucs!

I am a huge Lovie fan but the Williams deal really caused me to pause for a second.  I can understand a player not wanting to play for Schiano, he sounded like a real dick cheese but Lovie??  Maybe it was already written before he got here.  I know Louis Murphy and feel like he could be an upgrade from Underwood but he is not a true #2.  It really leads me to believe we will draft 3 WR potentially next month. I hope our fans are realistic about the short term success of this team.  We aren't deep at all and minimally talented at most positions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Every team has poor offensive line depth. Can anyone name the three backup linemen for the Cardinals? No. If you ever watch random pre-season games, the backup defensive linemen generally kill the backup offensive linemen. There just aren't that many good offensive linemen out there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot if teams don’t even have competent starters much less backups.  This is an overreaction thread by the “don’t draft a QB crowd”.  And it’s not like we only have one pick in the draft and it’s an either or situation. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot if teams don't even have competent starters much less backups.  This is an overreaction thread by the "don't draft a QB crowd".  And it's not like we only have one pick in the draft and it's an either or situation.

We only have one pick for a player that can make a difference this year.  I am more concerned with WR than anything else though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We only have one pick for a player that can make a difference this year.

Now that's just silly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now that's just silly.

So you're counting on all of the draft picks to not be misses?  I hope you are right because we can use all of them right away.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Precisely.  RG could use an upgrade, but doesn't need to be an early draft pick.  Lord knows the team has played with a horrible RG for years, so even if Meredith blows balls it's not that big of a deal.

I'll agree. Grab a OG if a good one is available in the 3rd and is close to being the BPA. Otherwise, we can grab one in the 5th or so and should be fine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our OL and WR corp may be the two worst depth wise that the NFL has seen in a very long time. 

Do the Carolina Panthers count? Because I'm pretty sure they are worse, and you don't have to go back "a very long time."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now that's just silly.

So you're counting on all of the draft picks to not be misses?  I hope you are right because we can use all of them right away.

Not at all!  It's the *can* make a difference that I'm objecting to.  There are obviously no guarantees that anyone the team drafts will make a difference this year, but it's perfectly reasonable to think that it's *possible* that a high second round pick will be able to step in and make real, meaningful contributions immediately.  Particular for positions like OG, a second rounder ought to be able to step in and start right off the bat.  Heck, depending on the position in question, hoping for immediate contributions out of the team's third round pick isn't crazy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll agree. Grab a OG if a good one is available in the 3rd and is close to being the BPA. Otherwise, we can grab one in the 5th or so and should be fine.

I'm joining this choir. I think things will go something like this.....- Unless something happens at 7 - Robinson falls to them, best player on the board is a tackle - Bucs draft a guy between rounds 2-4 they think can at a minimum compete for the starting job inside (btw, I think the Bucs swing a trade on draft day to get another 3rd or 4th). - Maybe the take another OL late- They load up the boat with undrafted free-agents on the OL- They weed out the "no chance" undrafteds by training camp. - They take those guys in with the vets see how things shake out. Remember, by camp they'll have a much better read on Nicks. If he's good to go, then they are in pretty good shape. If he's not, they can PUP/IR him and watch for vets to get cut during the preseason or add a guy like Travelle Wharton. We've done this before with mixed results - Keydrick Vincent anyone? James Lee?With regard to depth, the reality is that none of us have any strong grasp on how deep we are. We know of course that we don't have a lot of experienced depth, and that's an issue of course, but in terms of talent/ability/coachability does anybody really know much about Jace Daniels, Emmett Cleary, or Patrick Omameh? I rather liked Daniels coming out of college - don't know if he can make the transition to the pros, but he dominated low-level competition. Omameh was personally worked out by Jim Harbough and made it to the SF practice squad after getting cut on the final day. In general, it's just really early to ring the alarm for a position so easily managed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we were going to go OL in the 2nd I like Zach Martin if he’s still around.  The value is there and he can play anywhere in the line.  But I wouldn’t waste the pick on some stiff like Yankey.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In general, it's just really early to ring the alarm for a position so easily managed.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

they were ranked the 24th best OL last year….making it to 16 or below would move the team to championship levels, if the defensive is sound the offense is good schematically …..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our OL and WR corp may be the two worst depth wise that the NFL has seen in a very long time. 

Do the Carolina Panthers count? Because I'm pretty sure they are worse, and you don't have to go back "a very long time."

Cardinals, Jags, Dixie Chicks, Raiders, Giants, SeaChickens, Jets, and Colts OLs outsucked ours last year...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm joining this choir. I think things will go something like this.....- Unless something happens at 7 - Robinson falls to them, best player on the board is a tackle - Bucs draft a guy between rounds 2-4 they think can at a minimum compete for the starting job inside (btw, I think the Bucs swing a trade on draft day to get another 3rd or 4th). - Maybe the take another OL late- They load up the boat with undrafted free-agents on the OL- They weed out the "no chance" undrafteds by training camp. - They take those guys in with the vets see how things shake out. Remember, by camp they'll have a much better read on Nicks. If he's good to go, then they are in pretty good shape. If he's not, they can PUP/IR him and watch for vets to get cut during the preseason or add a guy like Travelle Wharton. We've done this before with mixed results - Keydrick Vincent anyone? James Lee?With regard to depth, the reality is that none of us have any strong grasp on how deep we are. We know of course that we don't have a lot of experienced depth, and that's an issue of course, but in terms of talent/ability/coachability does anybody really know much about Jace Daniels, Emmett Cleary, or Patrick Omameh? I rather liked Daniels coming out of college - don't know if he can make the transition to the pros, but he dominated low-level competition. Omameh was personally worked out by Jim Harbough and made it to the SF practice squad after getting cut on the final day. In general, it's just really early to ring the alarm for a position so easily managed.

Starting Center is Fine, but we have NOBODY ELSE ON ROSTER WHO CAN HIKE THE BALL! Starting RT is Fine. New LT hasn't been a 16g Starter yet but lets say he is. I mean, we all want that from him. BACKUPS ARE SUSPECT. That leaves Nicks at LG who hasn't played a full season since when? and Meredith at RG. Behind them? A BOTTOMLESS PIT. I would love to see Patrick Omameh work at guard (GO BLUE) but my eyes have to see what my college football heart wishes for and that has yet to happen. UNTIL THEN WE ARE AS THIN AS WATER BALLON HOLDING A GALLON OF GAS OVER A CAMPFIRE! I would love to just snag two guys and solidify the damn thing. Receivers are as deep in this draft as I have seen in recent memory. Guys like Marshall, Welker, Cruz, Colston, Mike Williams, Etc. Playmakers… Later rounds. Either way… We have to do something or we will be watch pressure city once the ball is snapped.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Without knowing the offense, I can’t offer much of an assessment because no one outside of the coaching staff knows the scheme. However, we need depth, no doubt about that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jace Daniels was a HS center and while he played OT in college, nearly all the teams he worked out for had him snap the ball. Omameh worked out at C for Jim Harbough – in fact, Harbough took the snaps. Obviously difference between practice and actual games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Starting Center is Fine, but we have NOBODY ELSE ON ROSTER WHO CAN HIKE THE BALL! Starting RT is Fine. New LT hasn't been a 16g Starter yet but lets say he is. I mean, we all want that from him. BACKUPS ARE SUSPECT. That leaves Nicks at LG who hasn't played a full season since when? and Meredith at RG. Behind them? A BOTTOMLESS PIT. I would love to see Patrick Omameh work at guard (GO BLUE) but my eyes have to see what my college football heart wishes for and that has yet to happen. UNTIL THEN WE ARE AS THIN AS WATER BALLON HOLDING A GALLON OF GAS OVER A CAMPFIRE!

You say this like it's somehow unique to the Bucs or even somehow unusual.  Yes, we need at least one more interior lineman.  It's not something to freak out about though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

gifhp.giftime to panic!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dont see it. Assuming Nicks is not playing we have no starting caluber guards on the roster. A good OL coach goes a long way but we definitely need to upgrade both OG positions or else our offense will likely suck ... again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would prefer that we choose an OG within the 1st 3 picks. You could fairly assume to select a starting caliber OG in the first 3 rounds but it all depends. For instance we arent going OG at 7, so if we get to our second round pick and our top OG is off the board but Kyle Fuller or Van Noy, or Jordan Mathews is available. You have to take BPA and push the guard search back.The worst thing they can do is reach for an OG early and ignore BPA.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IMO you can find good value in the 3rd round or later…forget the 1st/2nd rounder Iupati, Mankins, Snee, DeCastro, Kyle Long, Levitre, Warmack, Cooper, Joseph or Sears... when you can have same value later... Carl Nicks was a 5th round, Jahri Evans/Rob Sims/Sitton/Herremans = 4th round, Yanda/Mathis/Vasquez/Warford/Asamoah/Urbik/Wharton/Brandon Brooks = 3rd round, Fusco/Slauson = 6th round...hope we draft BPA & a receiver at #7 & #38, then take the guard later! (maybe two?)Greg Robinson at #7 & Zach Martin at #38 are the only guard worth a top pick...would like Su'a-Filo, Jackson, Yankey, Dozier, Bitonio or Mewhort at #69 or two 3rd day pick on Steen, Long, Linder, Schofield, Turner, Groy or Thomas...(+ some good udfa: UCF Justin & Jordan McCray, Duvernay-Tardif, Kistler, Gates)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’re starting a backup at LT, have no idea what we’re going to get out of Nicks, have an atrociously bad right guard, and a right tackle that gets better and better every year he’s in the league. We’re set at C and RT, have high-reward, higher-risk players at LT and LG, and have a gigantic hole at RG. So the OLINE le sucks basically and there's no depth

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glad not everybody is panicking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m a firm believer that games are won in the trenches.  I would like to see atleast 2 linemen from this draft with one of them being from the first 3 rounds.  If we took Matthews or Robinson at 7 I would be perfectly fine with it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think a 3rd rounder and a 5th round Olinemen will work for me.Hell, I'll be happy iw we get a QB, WR, OG and OLB with our picks.  AND a Bunch of UDFA's.

Please wait…

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.