How Do We Win 10?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Nobody
    Participant

How do we get to that magic number in 2019?

I’ve been thinking on this. It’s difficult for my Bucs mental model to project this. Here is what I’ve come up with.

1) DB confidence EARLY. This group needs to come up with the nuts in some key situations in the first quarter of the season and have that snowball.

I’m talking big PBUs on 3rd/4th downs in key situations, a Screen snuffed our and stuffed in the same situation, a Pick 6 down around our goal-line to create a 10-14 point swing.

And competing at the catch point over_and_over_and_over.

2) Exact same thing with our Placekicker. Confidence early and often so no ghosts of x, y, and z come creeping into the fold. Not just confidence for the kicker, but to moralize (more importantly, not demoralize) the O and D.

3) LVD, White, Barrett need to stay healthy and play huge. Pressures (particularly against Brees), Stops, Forced Fumbles and Recoveries, and White and LVD need to defend Kamara, McCaffrey et al as well as they can be defended.

Every game needs to feel like these guys have put their stamp on it.

4) Our RG situation cannot be a train wreck. We need something resembling NFL average. The number of times this position (and the position to its left…) lost plays all by itself is utterly unacceptable. You cannot win in the Redzone Tight with one of your OL being as bad as our RG position was last year.

Just don’t lose so many plays. We don’t need play wins. Just not a deluge of play losses (that kill plays outright). NFL average.

5) Jameis has to take that next step. Make the plays with his feet on 2nd and 3rd down and RZT when they’re there. There are going to be Giveaways, but just stay away from the backbreaking, momentum-turning or game-deciding ones. We need the guy from 2016 on 2nd and 3rd down and the guy from 2017 on 1st down.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

tampaspicer
    Participant

My biggest concern is the o line. This is the same group of players from last year for the most part. You can coach certain things but getting D Smith and Benny Boy to stop being lazy isn’t something you coach.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

Yeah.

I didn’t include injuries on there, because that goes without saying.

But man, a significant injury to Vea or Marpet? Yikes.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    nitey
    Participant

If we only had one ‘biggest’ concern, I’d be pretty happy, but the fact is that we have several ‘biggest’ concerns – not the least is a overall confidence issue as Nobody points out. He has it #1 for a reason (I think).

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GottaJaboo
    Blocked

There aren’t “biggest concerns”. We addressed what needed to be addressed by hiring Arians and Bowles, and selling out on the defensive side for the draft. If we can sniff the top 18 defenses in the league (must I remind you that we were not just the worst defense most of the season last year, but were on a historically bad tick), and get Jameis involved in a slightly more favorable offense for his strengths, that should get us to 10-6.

The NFL is a coaching and owners league. Coaching matters more than any other one thing. Let’s hope Bowles can really figure out this defense.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M - "coaching can’t fix this".

Detrimental
    Participant
    • Is Earl Watford AVERAGE?
    No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant
    • Is Earl Watford AVERAGE?

No. He’s been a below average NFL player every year since this regime drafted him.

I’m hoping that Cappa suddenly progresses and plays RG. If not, EDS, despite his propensity for bad penalties, is the best option of the rest.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pennywise
    Participant

I would guess they will add to ol ,via cuts or tryout guys

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    The Anomaly
    Participant

Wins?  More like ten losses.  Too much hype for an old retired coach with one playoff win.  Way overhyped.  I get it though…people need something to cling to and BA is this year’s “savior”.  Ouch.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

If we only had one ‘biggest’ concern, I’d be pretty happy, but the fact is that we have several ‘biggest’ concerns – not the least is a overall confidence issue as Nobody points out. He has it #1 for a reason (I think).

Yup. When people talk about “culture change”, they’re just talking about a proxy for confidence.

That is what this team (and particular parts of it) needs more than anything.

Moralization and confidence.

A guy coming in who PROJECTS CONFIDENCE (Arians, White) doesn’t mean anything until their deeds/results INSPIRE CONFIDENCE.

Tiger and the Chicago Bulls/MJ Forced their opponents to wilt because they were an implacable force that was the aggregate of on-court/course results. Projection of confidence is empty without the results.

So these guys, particularly the DBs and Placekicker, need to actually get the results on field, early and consistently, to help themselves and help the whole.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    LIBucsFan93
    Participant

Unfortunately for  Winston and Bucs they don’t have a soft schedule like they did in 2016. With the strength of schedule against some of the strongest defense the NFL has to offer I can’t envision more than 6 wins AT BEST. If the Bucs don’t 2 or 3 of the first four games it’s going to be a very very long season yet again.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Taint the dinners of the opponent QBs with E Coli the night before their games?  Know any of the chefs at the Tampa Marriott (or wherever the opponents stay before games here in Tampa)?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pepsi
    Participant

my thinking is Barret is going to have to be a stud and then we cant afford any injury to Barret, JPP, or Vea. and pretty much no injuries along the Oline. and then somehow running game is going to have to improve to the point where we can reduce the amount of times Jameis has to pass… otherwise Jameis has to be the most consistent hes ever been.

Kinda banking on multiple long shots

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    FinkleisEinhorn
    Participant

I’m wondering if the o-line coaches reviewed the tape and liked what they saw out of Liedtke. Maybe they think he can step up into a full time role at RG.

Don’t know his PFF stats, but from the eyeball test he seemed to hold his own on the limited snaps he was given…but then again I also thought Wester looked worlds better than the likes of Cappa/Benenoch.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    The Anomaly
    Participant

Taint the dinners of the opponent QBs with E Coli the night before their games? Know any of the chefs at the Tampa Marriott (or wherever the opponents stay before games here in Tampa)?

Pretty sure it is the Airport Hyatt

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.