How Do We Win 10?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Detrimental
    Participant

I’m wondering if the o-line coaches reviewed the tape and liked what they saw out of Liedtke. Maybe they think he can step up into a full time role at RG.

Don’t know his PFF stats, but from the eyeball test he seemed to hold his own on the limited snaps he was given…but then again I also thought Wester looked worlds better than the likes of Cappa/Benenoch.

liedtke pre season snaps?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

FinkleisEinhorn
    Participant

I want to say he got a little playing time 2 yrs ago…but I know, kinda grasping at straws at this point. Not sure what the hell else we’re going to do at RG.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Jr.3
    Participant

There are 5 thing that need to happen for us to win 10 games this year.

1. JW can’t be a dumb ass with stupid int’s. I like JW but you simply can’t be stupid with the ball, most of all in the RED ZONE.

2. Game Management, Dirk sucked at this, hopefully BA is better.

3. Need a solid FG kicker, hopefully with Gay and the new kicking coach this will be fixed.

4.LUCK!!! Staying healthy, having the ball bounce your way every now and then.

5. Defense has too improve , last year was pathetic.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GoldsonAges
    Participant

We only added rookies to the worst secondary in football. Not sure how that’s going to improve.

Added nothing to a bad OL.

Added nothing to help the running game.

Really, if you want improvement you got to bank on the coaching change making a huge difference and some of these DBs finally developing

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GottaJaboo wrote:
    (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
    Update - UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

Roy
    Participant

How to get to 10 was the question.

1) Gotta find a running game. They need to develop that threat to go around the outside.  It can’t be Ronald Jones because he’s not in there all the time. I’m thinking of the Panthers with DJ Moore going around the end.  He had 13 rushing attempts all year.  It seems like there was a lot more, but those 13 attempts he averaged 13.2 yards per carry.  So what does that tell you?  Why didn’t DJ Moore get the ball 100 times if he’s getting 13 yards a pop?  Because teams could shut it down.  The threat of DJ Moore is more important than the actual real production.  If its 3rd and 2 and you send the back up the middle you won’t have eight guys sitting there having a cup of tea waiting for him if you have some other legitimate running options. It doesn’t matter if its Peyton Barber, Ronald Jones or Jim Brown.  8 guys can tackle anyone.  That’s part play designing and part having the personnel.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

So more Jet Sweep looks, yes?

Couldn’t after more.

This is something I mentioned a few times last year. I wanted to see the next regime mix in much, much more of the modern running game tech:

1) Jet Sweep Looks in both Inside Zone and Man. Creating a singular false step by the play-side LB and I/MLB or even a minor hesitation is enough to give an iOL the advantage on a 2nd level climb. That is no small thing.

2) More of the hybrid Inside Zone/Gap plays with ZBS rules everywhere except the playside Edge where we have a Pin and Pull by TE/OT or OT/OG.

3) More designed Trap Cutbacks (with OJ coming under the formation and kicking out the backside 3 or 5 tech and cutback off that). More Wham plays (with OJ).

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Harding96
    Participant

There are 5 thing that need to happen for us to win 10 games this year.

1. JW can’t be a dumb ass with stupid int’s. I like JW but you simply can’t be stupid with the ball, most of all in the RED ZONE.

2. Game Management, Dirk sucked at this, hopefully BA is better.

3. Need a solid FG kicker, hopefully with Gay and the new kicking coach this will be fixed.

4.LUCK!!! Staying healthy, having the ball bounce your way every now and then.

5. Defense has too improve , last year was pathetic.

This is pretty much dead on.  2, 3, and 5 should be easy enough. 4 is a fickle thing to depend on, but handle 2, 3, and 5 and you make your own luck.

It’s point 1 that worries me…  There are times when JW’s football IQ and instinct are top notch, MVP-level attributes.  Then his switch gets flipped and he’s the worst QB in the history of the game.  If Arians can get him leveled out, I can accept the lack of highs if the lows go away, too.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    XFactor
    Participant

I think it all comes down to defense. Not going to win many games giving up 30 points a game. If Bowles can get us to average on defense we get to 10 wins easily. Offense is still going to be explosive so I’m not worried about that side that much.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

For the life of me, I still don’t get why posters refer to our offense as “high scoring”, “explosive” or “top ranked”.

It was a unit that didn’t even crack the Top-10 in points per game.

That said, it’s an offense (hopefully with a little more balance this season) that’s good enough to win games as long as we have a middle of the pack defense.

Balance is the key.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

And we don’t turn the ball over at the historic rate that we did through the first 11 games…which feeds directly back into that historically bad defense. If we have the ball away at half the rate that we did (what actual good offenses do), our defense wouldn’t have been historically bad…just bad.

I did a big post on this somewhere outlining the game situation of every Giveaway.

Both of those things have to change.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

And we don’t turn the ball over at the historic rate that we did through the first 11 games…which feeds directly back into that historically bad defense. If we have the ball away at half the rate that we did (what actual good offenses do), our defense wouldn’t have been historically bad…just bad.

I did a big post on this somewhere outlining the game situation of every Giveaway.

Agreed

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

I didn’t read that, so perhaps you answered this question.  Which came first?  The chicken or the egg?  Turnovers resulting in bad defense because of field position, or bad defense resulting in more turnovers because we were trying to keep up with the other team who was scoring at will?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Crazyhorse54
    Participant

Win 10 games?

Maybe never again

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    tampaspicer
    Participant
    Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Turnovers resulting in bad defense because of field position, or bad defense resulting in more turnovers because we were trying to keep up with the other team who was scoring at will?

For the Bucs last season it was both. They got the chicken and egg all at once.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

@Roy

A combination, but the significant majority were (a) +/- 9 points and (b) inside of the first 2.75 quarters.

A majority were in neutral or + field position.

A few were way backed up and immediately turned into scores.

Then you have ST failures negatively impacting things (Punt Block and return, Kick Returns, missed FG and good field position after).

This was a very poor defense, no doubt. But there was a not-insignificant amplification effect due to our Giveaways and Special Teams.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.