Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• WC-Bucs fan

Participant

Tedford has a history of using a RBBC in college, how do you think he will split up the carries? We have 5 RB’s on our roster that I am aware of, Martin, James, Rainey, Smith and Demps. Last season we had 420 carries for 1,612 yards (Including QB rushes, WR reverses). I’m just curious how you guys expect the workload to be split up between our RBs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie said Martin is the bell cow, so I expect to see him get 250-300 carries. Mike James and Rainey will likely compete for the #2 spot and combine for around 100-150 carries. Rainey could steal some passing opportunities from Martin because he really excelled as a receiver in college and unlike Glennon, McCown can actually throw open his RBs rather than getting them crushed. Demps will probably be more of a returner than anything if he makes the team. If used in the offense it will probably be for reverses, screens, and other short passes. I wouldn't expect him to get more than 20 carries.I don't see Mike Smith making the roster. Didn't mention Lonnie Pryor, but I think if me makes the team as our starting FB he could end up stealing some touches and TDs as our short yardage guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup, if forte is any indicator of what lovie will do, martin is fixing to have his plate full.I'm thinking 75 percent martin, 25 percent everyone else.But, with that huge workload, we're lucky to have quality backups. Doesn't make me feel worried about any one of them being the cowbell, and that's a safe feeling when you can say that about the third stringer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of all the running backs, after watching last season’s games over and over…..I gotta say….I was most impressed with James. In my opinion, he, by far, had the best ability to gain yards after initial contact……powerful and slippery.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch 2012 and see Dougie go crazy. Martin is the most talented IMO but James can be special too. Rainey is good too. Good problem to have!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This could prove out to be one of the real interesting camp battles. As others have noted, Martin has been explosive at times, and ineffective at other times. He didn’t exactly light it up last year before his injury. Getting better blocking should help that. Agree with Cyber; James was the most consistant runner last year in the short time he played. A downhill, smart, disciplined, and patient back who used his blocks way better than Martin, who really looked impatient to me. Rainey seemed to have better stop-and-go moves in tight spaces, keeping tacklers off balance to get by them. If Martin struggles, we got real options, and hopefully Lovie uses them…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carlos Hyde – 50%Doug Martin - 20%Rainey - 15%James - 15%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I honestly think Doug Martin starts out in the beginning with the majority of the carries. By the end of the season it wouldnt surprise me at all if he’s splitting carries 50/50 with James. I really think James can be a great back in this league. I think he might have better anticipation and lean then dougie. Dougie is the homerun hitter but that’s just my two cents. I think Rainey is a good sub if either gets injured let's face it most likely one will. Demps is going to be playing rb/ wr/pr/Mr and get the ball on reverses screens and slot wr. He might get 30 carries.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie said Martin is the bell cow, so I expect to see him get 250-300 carries. Mike James and Rainey will likely compete for the #2 spot and combine for around 100-150 carries. Rainey could steal some passing opportunities from Martin because he really excelled as a receiver in college and unlike Glennon, McCown can actually throw open his RBs rather than getting them crushed. Demps will probably be more of a returner than anything if he makes the team. If used in the offense it will probably be for reverses, screens, and other short passes. I wouldn't expect him to get more than 20 carries.I don't see Mike Smith making the roster. Didn't mention Lonnie Pryor, but I think if me makes the team as our starting FB he could end up stealing some touches and TDs as our short yardage guy.

I don't see the Bucs carrying no more than 3 RBs....Rainey or James will be placed on the Practice Squad, cut during camp so they can resign quickly with another team, or held out as trade bait....I think Demps will be more of a Percy Harvin type, a RB/WR hybrid....

Please wait…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.