Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Lovie Smith on the Hot Seat?By Jake Hamar on Aug 11, 2015  lovie-smith_zpshn1rsmwf.jpg  Andrew Weber-USA TODAY SportsCoach could be in trouble if the team has another lackluster record. Nothing hurts a franchise more than to have high hopes turn into a major disappointment.2-14.That was the Buccaneers' record in 2014. New GM. New coach. With stars like Lavonte David, Gerald McCoy, Mike Evans, and Mike Glennon, some insiders thought the Buccaneers could have had a fighting chance at attaining a .500 record last year. But it didn't happen.Glennon was supplanted as starter most of the year by Josh McCown, who played for Lovie Smith in Chicago. He finished with 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in 2014, with a 70.5 QB rating. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely was not great. In truth, Tampa should have given Glennon the starting quarterback job after he had a solid 2013, but Smith obviously wanted his own guy in there.It didn't work.The offense was terrible last year, ranking fourth worst in the NFL in points scored. Not only was their passing game tepid, but their running game was just not there. Injuries to Doug Martin and inexperience factored into a lot of the Buccaneers running game.It also didn't help that offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford suffered heart problems and was basically non-existent. Marcus Arroyo stepped in, but he couldn't help the team from sliding into a mud of mediocrity. The defense also didn't help matters, giving up 410 points, not exactly harking back to the days of Sapp, Brooks and Rice.However, 2015 is a season filled with expectation. No one is saying that Tampa will win the NFC South or make the playoffs, but there is some hope that this team can win 8-9 games.Lovie Smith is probably hoping for a turnaround as well.There hasn't been calls for his head just yet, but if the Buccaneers finish 3-13 or 4-12, there will be armchair quarterbacks out there asking what went wrong and who's to blame. I personally think that the Bucs will be better this year, as they have made changes to their defense, and the addition of Winston has some fans romanticizing about their team this year.If the Bucs are to win down the road, they need to keep a coach for more than two years, Building this team through the draft and picking up quality role players is the way to go. It seems like the Buccaneers are in the right direction.Smith is a really good coach who can do wonders when he has a terrific defense. In 2006, he took the Chicago Bears all the way to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman.Rex Grossman.If Winston plays well, and the defense can hold up their end, there's no reason why the Buccaneers can make an improvement. There is a lot of positive hype and vibe surrounding these young Bucs.Now, they just have to go out there and play up to the hype.hot1_zps7ptzllvc.pnglink

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s pretty evident that the Raheem and Schiano, 3 and out, strategy didn’t work. I say L&L have at LEAST two more years. Continuity will be king allowing the Bucs to install, draft and coach until they get it right. JMHO!

Please wait…

• water130u128

I think he will be around for a few years.  Bucs should win more than 6 games this year, and have a shot to make the playoffs.  My guess is it comes down to the last division game with a “win and we are in” scenario against Carolina.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When can he start?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope he gets at least two more seasons.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When can he start?

LOLI say if he wins at least 6 games this season, he is safe for another year. Then he better start showing signs of sniffing the playoffs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When can he start?

LOLI say if he wins at least 6 games this season, he is safe for another year. Then he better start showing signs of sniffing the playoffs.

Any of us could have coached the team to two wins.Instant results this season, or he's gone in lue of someone who can run an offense. Maybe even koetter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2017 will be his last.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2017 will be his last.

He's got to have a winning record by 2016 or that will be his last.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Longer than Tomlin will coach the Steelers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2017 will be his last.

He's got to have a winning record by 2016 or that will be his last.

I see a Raheem Morris-type tenure. 1 mildly successful season cramed between a few stinkers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nate Burleson was talking today, about the Bucs reminding him of when the Lions drafted Stafford. They went 2-14 the season before. Then 10-6 two years later.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LiLo is creating a dynasty.  only question is how old do they still want to be in the game?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the only way Lovie gets canned is if team loses 12 or more games. No coach can survive 26 or more losses in consecutive seasons. Other than a disaster Schiano schibacle type season, I think Lovie's got another two years to put it all together.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

4 to 5 years….The Glazers aren't going through another situation like Gruden...They're going to ride it out...it makes no sense in paying the salaries of two head coaches...one on the field and one on the sofa...Lovie isn't leaving anytime soon...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barring a complete collapse he’s safe for awhile. Lovie isn’t going to lose the locker room like Raheem and Schiano did. Even if the team shows modest improvement, he’s safe.Who else are you going to get that is out there? You'll end up blowing everything up again for an unproven coach. The Browns and Raiders have proven changing coaches every 2-3 years doesn't work.Lovie has been to the Super Bowl. He's had success before. This isn't like an unproven college guy that doesn't know what to do in the NFL. Therefore he's going to have a longer leash.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barring a complete collapse he's safe for awhile. Lovie isn't going to lose the locker room like Raheem and Schiano did. Even if the team shows modest improvement, he's safe.Who else are you going to get that is out there? You'll end up blowing everything up again for an unproven coach. The Browns and Raiders have proven changing coaches every 2-3 years doesn't work.Lovie has been to the Super Bowl. He's had success before. This isn't like an unproven college guy that doesn't know what to do in the NFL. Therefore he's going to have a longer leash.

His leash will be as long as his ability to show improvement this year. Another 2-14 season, you have to fire this guy. The Bucs get 4-6 wins, and showing improvement, he gets another year, but I think depending on why they lost, I could see someone like Leslie being the sacrificial lamb and getting fired or an Oline coach if Winston gets throttled. 7+ wins, he's safe for at least 2 to 3 more years.But lets not make him more then he is, he's an avg NFL coach, proven by his last 8 years (7 coaching, 1 sitting on the couch, and those 8 years provided 1 playoff appearance and 5 times his teams had 3rd/4th place finishes.). I hate to say it, but I think the fact that the Glazer boys thought they were getting Dungy v2.0 might be the only reason he's here now. He's not a coaching legacy like a Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Landry. This is a guy who came off the couch to lead a team, who owners thought would be the reincarnation of DungyBall, to one of the worst years in the NFL. He came in, spoke loudly, got free agents, annointed a garbage can to be his starting qb, lost his OC, and produced a joke of a season where everyone knows he threw the season to get Winston. This year will be huge for Lovie's future and his couch having a vacancy or not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barring a complete collapse he's safe for awhile. Lovie isn't going to lose the locker room like Raheem and Schiano did. Even if the team shows modest improvement, he's safe.Who else are you going to get that is out there? You'll end up blowing everything up again for an unproven coach. The Browns and Raiders have proven changing coaches every 2-3 years doesn't work.Lovie has been to the Super Bowl. He's had success before. This isn't like an unproven college guy that doesn't know what to do in the NFL. Therefore he's going to have a longer leash.

His leash will be as long as his ability to show improvement this year. Another 2-14 season, you have to fire this guy. The Bucs get 4-6 wins, and showing improvement, he gets another year, but I think depending on why they lost, I could see someone like Leslie being the sacrificial lamb and getting fired or an Oline coach if Winston gets throttled. 7+ wins, he's safe for at least 2 to 3 more years.

Not happening....The Glazers aren't to blow him out with 3 years left on his contract...that's financial insanity....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His leash will be as long as his ability to show improvement this year. Another 2-14 season, you have to fire this guy. The Bucs get 4-6 wins, and showing improvement, he gets another year, but I think depending on why they lost, I could see someone like Leslie being the sacrificial lamb and getting fired or an Oline coach if Winston gets throttled. 7+ wins, he's safe for at least 2 to 3 more years.

Not happening....The Glazers aren't to blow him out with 3 years left on his contract...that's financial insanity....

Financial insanity might also be defined by keeping him, if that nightmare scenario plays out. People will start thinking about not renewing if the Glazers show that they are committed to a guy that losses 28 games in two seasons, that's worse then anything Raheem or Schiano did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the G-men ride out this plan for the long haul. They drafted the franchise QB, they know he will need time to develop. Love is a proven NFL HC. He will get most , if not all, his present contract to sink or swim. After that it will interesting. By then Lovie will be in his 60's. He might want to retire. And maybe Koetter could step in as HC. If he wasn't stolen away before then.

Please wait…

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.