Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 59 reply threads

• Author

• Machiavelli

Participant

We’re all Monday morning QB’s, right? So let’s try something different. If you were Lovie, how long would you play Jameis Winston during Saturday night’s preseason game? I read PR's write up on Winston improving in practice and really hitting his stride, which is encouraging. But Winston is a rookie and he needs practice reps. Also scares the hell out of me that Mark Cook is saying it looks like Winston is a slow starter and then catches fire as the game goes on. This sounds like Josh Freeman (to a degree -- I'm not trying to compare them QB for QB).We also don't want Winston to be subjected to injury.So, how long do you play Winston vs. the Vikes? I say let him play the entire first half .... unless he and the offense prove to be very sharp. But I will rip the hair out of my head if we watch the offense suck and then pull Winston and our starters early each preseason game. We know all too well how that stuff carries over into the regular season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One series. Just like any stud QB gets.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 series max, if the first two suck. One if it’s a good drive.I would just want him to get his feet wet and thats it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I say you let him play 1 to 2 series, and get him out. It acclimates him to some live fire game speed. There is no reason to risk your 1st round draft pick, supposed franchise guy, by letting him play into the 2nd quarter where other guys will be trying to impress their coaches with hard hits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would completely depend on results.  If we are jail breaking our pass blocking early, he would not get long no matter how the rest of the offense is performing.If Jameis is struggling, but the line play is decent, I would go until the other coached shamed me into pulling the starters by putting in his 3rd defense. If everybody looks sharp, 2 series.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you were Lovie, how long would you play Jameis Winston during Saturday night's preseason game?

If I were Lovie, I wouldn't be the one to decide. I wouldn't touch A DAMN THING on the offensive side of the ball. I'd leave it up to the guy I hired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you were Lovie, how long would you play Jameis Winston during Saturday night's preseason game?

If I were Lovie, I wouldn't be the one to decide. I wouldn't touch A DAMN THING on the offensive side of the ball. I'd leave it up to the guy I hired.

touche'

Please wait…

• Magnaccia

Participant

I’d give the starting offense about 3 series give or take.If they ball out on the first pull em.If they haven't done much in 3 series, you've got some tape to work on, pull em.Nothing less, nothing more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody is going to like this reply but I’d play him a lot. What’s the upside of him of him in for one series and watching Seth (Frontal) Labato against the third stringers. Play him the first half minimum with the first team Oline and let’s get the show on the road. I’d rest Evans & VJAX, play ALL of the young speedy WR’s for the juice. Let’s take the shiny new car out on the road and florr it a bit. Winston can get hurt in the shower, he’s a man and a football player. Let Koetter run the offense Lovie, you coach the defense. The offense needs some CONFIDENCE!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody is going to like this reply but I'd play him a lot. What's the upside of him of him in for one series and watching Seth (Frontal) Labato against the third stringers. Play him the first half minimum with the first team Oline and let's get the show on the road. I'd rest Evans & VJAX, play ALL of the young speedy WR's for the juice. Let's take the shiny new car out on the road and florr it a bit. Winston can get hurt in the shower, he's a man and a football player. Let Koetter run the offense Lovie, you coach the defense. The offense needs some CONFIDENCE!!!!!

Not in the first meaningless game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Midway through the 2nd quarter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

for the first game, just he just needs to get his feet wet. No more than 2 series. Winston is the future, im not too concerned about rushing into a bunch of reps right now in order to make a playoff run this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He most likely get 2 or 3 series this game…more next game…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Midway through the 2nd quarter.

Nope

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's Lovie's call regardless...

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

It's Lovie's call regardless...

So if he left it up to the guy he hired and that guy he hired left him in till well into the 2nd quarter and he got injured--who would be held responsible.Stop with the craziness--it's Lovie's call.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The entire first qtr.The reason i say this, is because the effort is MUCH less in the first PS game as it would be the third. Players will be gunning for a job, no doubt, but the overall feel leaguewide is to get by w/o injury with the first game. It gets a little rougher as time goes by.Another good reason for this, would be to have the avalibility of time, in case an injury should occur. Having three weeks opposed to one is a huge differance in time medically.I also like the matchup against their defensive line. Let winston get the feel of nfl qbing against an evolving defense, see if winston can read them well, and to see if his oline can hold.There are a lot of reasons i would let him out this game. However, if at ANY time the oline looks squishy, he's comming out of the game.THAT would be the oline's barometer as well. Winston comes out early, youve got some extra laps to run.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The entire first qtr.The reason i say this, is because the effort is MUCH less in the first PS game as it would be the third. Players will be gunning for a job, no doubt, but the overall feel leaguewide is to get by w/o injury with the first game. It gets a little rougher as time goes by.Another good reason for this, would be to have the avalibility of time, in case an injury should occur. Having three weeks opposed to one is a huge differance in time medically.I also like the matchup against their defensive line. Let winston get the feel of nfl qbing against an evolving defense, see if winston can read them well, and to see if his oline can hold.There are a lot of reasons i would let him out this game. However, if at ANY time the oline looks squishy, he's comming out of the game.THAT would be the oline's barometer as well. Winston comes out early, youve got some extra laps to run.

Hed possibly be coming out very early in that case. Not feeling good about the Oline again

Please wait…

• snidley

Participant

Entire 1st Quarter and start of the 2nd half (first drive).. Winston needs the reps he has zero experience in the NFL and the more live situations he gets the quicker we win a super bowl ;) Can’t develop this kid fearing injury either. If this was year 2 or 3 then sure a couple drives.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depends on the results

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Entire first half. New QB, new linemen, new coordinator. This team needs more live reps than most.Thing is this is a copy cat league and every team from the 2-14 Bucs to the Superbowl Champ Patriots follow the same scripted way of treating the preseason.Guys are just as likely to get injured in practice as they are in a preseason game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 series tops, so basically the whole 1st quarter unless he slashes down the field quickly in his first 3 tries. if he rolls through 3 series his night is done

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

This board will be apoplectic if Lovie played Winston into the 3rd quarter only to have Winston’s knee blown out trying by some 3rd string player trying to make a play. Lovie would be fired by Week 3.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Entire first half. New QB, new linemen, new coordinator. This team needs more live reps than most.Thing is this is a copy cat league and every team from the 2-14 Bucs to the Superbowl Champ Patriots follow the same scripted way of treating the preseason.Guys are just as likely to get injured in practice as they are in a preseason game.

Not true. A 2nd or 3rd string defender will get an atta boy and a job for knocking the stuffing out of the opposing team's QB with the exception of Geno Smith. That doesn't happen in your own training camp. You want to risk that in the first of 4 meaningless games? For what reason? Entertainment?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This board will be apoplectic if Lovie played Winston into the 3rd quarter only to have Winston's knee blown out trying by some 3rd string player trying to make a play. Lovie would be fired by Week 3.

Exactly... they're short sighted as hell.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

This board will be apoplectic if Lovie played Winston into the 3rd quarter only to have Winston's knee blown out trying by some 3rd string player trying to make a play. Lovie would be fired by Week 3.

Not shortsighted. Ignorant. Most don't understand the reasoning behind pulling starters in the preseason. The don't understand that other team's "fringe" players are more dangerous to the health of your starters than your own "fringe" players in practice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, you could also argue that not developing him would get lovie fired too.Coddling him will not speed up anything,and when a player is the way winston is, i think you only hurt him if you dont let him play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, you could also argue that not developing him would get lovie fired too.Coddling him will not speed up anything,and when a player is the way winston is, i think you only hurt him if you dont let him play.

One half in a sloppy week one preseason game isn't going to determine his season. Let him play two or three series max and yank him. Why risk him getting hitting low by some guy thats scratching and clawing just to be on the bubble.The games where he'll play alot will come, this just shouldn't be that one.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

See? Ignorance. *Your idea is sound in a vacuum. However, Saturday isn't in a vacuum. There are other factors to consider.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I get why people are concerned about Winston getting hurt. But what is the difference if he gets hurt in preseason game 1 vs preseason game 2 or 3? Especially if you consider preseason meaningless. I can't stomach watching our starters struggle in preseason and get pulled early in those games, just to see it carry over into the real games again. I would rather see them trying to get better and gain confidence than going ultra conservative. The patriots can be conservative in preseason. We are not good enough to take that approach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol. Chances of Winston getting hurt are slim to nil, even if he play the entire game. The NFL protects its QBs like a father protects his young daughter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d play him the entire first half with the first team OL.  All 6 of them need the reps.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

PR said he’d play just over a quarter, which I think is right on.  The fact is that he needs some playing time, and week one is as good as any.  Winston may get hurt, which is why we have Glennon, but that is something you can’t control.  The odds of him getting hurt are not that great and he needs playing time against other players more than anything.BTW, are we going to practice against another team or have scrimmages at all?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Typically HCs have a set of goals they want to achieve for each unit. Once those goals are reached, yankem’. With the caveat he shouldn’t play more than the first half…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

15-20 offensive snaps – regardless of outcome.

Please wait…

• farzillo

Participant

I would play the Winston and the entire starting offensive line, the first half of the first 3 preseason games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Usually they do it by snaps, not series. So I’d say maybe 12-15 snaps. Hopefully that’s not 5 three-and-outs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 INTs… tops.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

to those naysayers that only want him to play the first series because he might get injured….are you cool with him playing the entire first half of the 3rd preseason game, because that’s kind of how the NFL preseason is scripted. If so, is he any less likely to get injured in preseason game 3 than he is in preseason game 1 (if his starting offense remains on the field with him)?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

to those naysayers that only want him to play the first series because he might get injured....are you cool with him playing the entire first half of the 3rd preseason game, because that's kind of how the NFL preseason is scripted. If so, is he any less likely to get injured in preseason game 3 than he is in preseason game 1 (if his starting offense remains on the field with him)?

By the 3rd preseason games you won't have despite bubble guys diving around everywhere in hopes of trying to make a name for themselves to keep a job. The 3rd preseason game is never as sloppy as the first. Leaving your starting QB in puts 8 or so other starters at risk. Why risk that?

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

The reality is if it's going to happen it will happen at some point anyways.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I get why people are concerned about Winston getting hurt. But what is the difference if he gets hurt in preseason game 1 vs preseason game 2 or 3? Especially if you consider preseason meaningless. I can't stomach watching our starters struggle in preseason and get pulled early in those games, just to see it carry over into the real games again. I would rather see them trying to get better and gain confidence than going ultra conservative. The patriots can be conservative in preseason. We are not good enough to take that approach.

why do you think playing are starters longer will give us a better season?  do you think there is a certain rep count they need to hit?  is it solely confidence?  some type of experience?these players arent in game shape, and its been said from the start of time you cant simulate game shape.  keeping guys out there when they are worn out is a recipe for injury.  having our guys stay out there to play against MIN scrubs who will be bagging groceries in a couple weeks?  that doesnt help our starters with NFL competition.  if anything, i think it wouuld give a false sense.we are gonna be awful, decent, or somewhat good this season.  and a few extra plays and drives in the preseason wont have an affect on it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

why do you think playing are starters longer will give us a better season?  do you think there is a certain rep count they need to hit?  is it solely confidence?  some type of experience?these players arent in game shape, and its been said from the start of time you cant simulate game shape.  keeping guys out there when they are worn out is a recipe for injury.  having our guys stay out there to play against MIN scrubs who will be bagging groceries in a couple weeks?  that doesnt help our starters with NFL competition.  if anything, i think it wouuld give a false sense.we are gonna be awful, decent, or somewhat good this season.  and a few extra plays and drives in the preseason wont have an affect on it.

PREACH!!!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

to those naysayers that only want him to play the first series because he might get injured....are you cool with him playing the entire first half of the 3rd preseason game, because that's kind of how the NFL preseason is scripted. If so, is he any less likely to get injured in preseason game 3 than he is in preseason game 1 (if his starting offense remains on the field with him)?

easing into game shape has a lot to do with the script. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why play the starters at all?  If an extra 10-15 preseason game snaps isn't beneficial, how are the first 10-15.Playing into the second quarter of the first preseason game might bleed over into the opponent's second team.  Not a bunch of camp body defenders.I'm not counting reps, I am looking for success.  If that is achieved quickly, great sign imo.  Don't need to prove anything else.  Don't like the thought of pulling him after 2 poor series because that's what the book says to do.  If we have 2 bad series and it's a jail break at the snap, yeah, shut down the first team and we will try again next week.  If we have 2 bad series because Jameis is wild, let him learn to play through that before the loss counts imo (talking a couple more series).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 INTs... tops.

You'll be reaching for the hand cream by then....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 INTs... tops.

And if he throws 3TDs will you STFU?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

GT, I thought I was the only one who thought like this - I really don't think much of preseason games at all. We are talking about a tiny number of reps either way, against vanilla defenses typically featuring backups.There's this idea of carry-over that I think confuses people - bad teams getting few snaps in preseason are going to look bad when the regular season starts. Bad teams getting a lot of snaps in preseason are going to look bad when the regular season starts. The problem is the bad team part, not the number of snaps in fake games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 INTs... tops.

And if he throws 3TDs will you STFU?

Why would I do that?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it depends on the manner in which he would get hurt.  If he gets hurt playing against the other teams 1s...then yes it sucks but you move on.  If the other team has backups in and your starting QB gets hurt...this board will melt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree for a different reason, I Want to see h how well the line holds up.  That way i will know if I need to sign a free agent guard

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depends on the results

This.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

By the 3rd preseason games you won't have despite bubble guys diving around everywhere in hopes of trying to make a name for themselves to keep a job. The 3rd preseason game is never as sloppy as the first. Leaving your starting QB in puts 8 or so other starters at risk. Why risk that?

i get the feeling you're more scared of the bubble guys then backups trying to take starters jobs and starters trying to keep their jobs… don't get your obsession with these so calle "bubble guys" like there's a reason why they're a bad sneeze away from getting cut. Winston should play at least an entire quarter maybe more if he's not having a good game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would keep the first team in for 3 series. The worst thing Lovie could do is beat the time up before the regular season starts. Fresh legs not stuck in mud players.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

If it’s anything like the NE game he’ll be in 3 quarter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He should play as long as the first team OL plays.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

~15 plays

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I expect to see him for maybe 3 series and he’ll go like 3-7 for 30 yards. He’s a rookie in his first live NFL action, I don’t think it’ll be pretty.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

See

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

See

But if it was destined to happen then it's going to happen!

Please wait…

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.