Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

How the Buccaneers are treating Jameis Winston like Doug WilliamsBy Sander Philipse Aug 1, 2015 doug_williams_1982_12_12_zpsmuplmywx.jpgThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers haven't been very successful with their drafted quarterbacks over the past, well, ever. Josh Freeman had one good season before somehow losing all of his ability to not turn over a football. Trent Dilfer was never any good. Chris Simms was always Chris Simms. Vinny Testaverde had talent, and also an obscene amount of interceptions.There's one exception to that list, and that's Doug Williams, who didn't turn into a franchise quarterback only because the Bucs in their infinite penny-pinchiness refused to give him a fair contract when the USFL would. And the Bucs are now doing something with Jameis Winston they haven't done since they drafted Williams in the first round: they're starting him from day one, as Ira Kaufman points out. doug_zpsxtmxmbah.pngThat's not going to be why Winston succeeds or fails, but it's a neat coincidence nonetheless. It's also the right decision: no quarterback gets better at playing quarterback by sitting on the bench. As anyone who's played sports, a musical instrument or anything else that requires repetition to approach perfection: there's nothing like actually going out there and doing it, and as long as you don't, there are things you won't learn.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

learning on the bench seemed to work for aaron rodgers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only problem is, we don't have Favre.

Please wait…

• bucfan75

Participant

Teams that made the playoffs:PatriotsBroncos*Steelers*Colts*Bengals*Ravens*Seahawks*PackersCowboysPanthers*CardinalsLions (can't remember about Stafford)More than 1/2 of their QBs immediately started...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Roethlisberger didn’t start Week1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Teams that made the playoffs:PatriotsBroncos*Steelers*Colts*Bengals*Ravens*Seahawks*PackersCowboysPanthers*CardinalsLions (can't remember about Stafford)More than 1/2 of their QBs immediately started...

Tommy Maddox not Gentle Ben started the 2004 season for the Steelers.However the point still stands, there is no "best way" to develop a QB.Manning/Luck as a #1 overalls started straight away & were asked to just get on with it.Brady as a 6th rounder wasn't meant to be a starter, he sat until he was thrown in there and protected.Brees was shuffled in & out of the Charges lineup while he was young, sharing time with Flutie.Rodgers as a mid 1st rounder sat for years learning from a HoF guy.Who knows if Brady & Rodgers would have been Brady & Rodgers if they'd had the Manning treatment.

Please wait…

• jgrable1

Participant

Mike Glennon does not equal Brett FavreWhy second guess?Support your team

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not sure why I’m responding to the faulty previous comment… you can support your team and still have different ideas… anyway…my comment related to "no quarterback gets better at playing quarterback by sitting on the bench."  That simply isn't true... the back-up qb gets many repetitions outside of games, film study, mentoring, etc.  You can develop qbs in different ways and each can be effective.I have no problems with starting Jameis on game 1... I'd prefer he "earns it" and expected that he'd do that in the preseason due to his talent, strong work ethic, and film study.  Jameis had too many things handed to him in college (besides the crab legs) and I think it's good to treat him with accountability... btw, I'm a Jameis fan and FSU alum.  I remember calling my brother in Jameis' freshman year and telling him that Jameis is the best looking pro-style qb I've seen in college for a long, long time.  I have very high expectations for him over the long term as long as he accepts coaching.Go Bucs!

Please wait…

• bucfan75

Participant

not sure why I'm responding to the faulty previous comment... you can support your team and still have different ideas... anyway...my comment related to "no quarterback gets better at playing quarterback by sitting on the bench."  That simply isn't true... the back-up qb gets many repetitions outside of games, film study, mentoring, etc.  You can develop qbs in different ways and each can be effective.I have no problems with starting Jameis on game 1... I'd prefer he "earns it" and expected that he'd do that in the preseason due to his talent, strong work ethic, and film study.  Jameis had too many things handed to him in college (besides the crab legs) and I think it's good to treat him with accountability... btw, I'm a Jameis fan and FSU alum.  I remember calling my brother in Jameis' freshman year and telling him that Jameis is the best looking pro-style qb I've seen in college for a long, long time.  I have very high expectations for him over the long term as long as he accepts coaching.Go Bucs!

What did Winston have handed to him while at FSU?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not sure why I'm responding to the faulty previous comment... you can support your team and still have different ideas... anyway...my comment related to "no quarterback gets better at playing quarterback by sitting on the bench."  That simply isn't true... the back-up qb gets many repetitions outside of games, film study, mentoring, etc.  You can develop qbs in different ways and each can be effective.I have no problems with starting Jameis on game 1... I'd prefer he "earns it" and expected that he'd do that in the preseason due to his talent, strong work ethic, and film study.  Jameis had too many things handed to him in college (besides the crab legs) and I think it's good to treat him with accountability... btw, I'm a Jameis fan and FSU alum.  I remember calling my brother in Jameis' freshman year and telling him that Jameis is the best looking pro-style qb I've seen in college for a long, long time.  I have very high expectations for him over the long term as long as he accepts coaching.Go Bucs!

Just a uni, he earned the rest.

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

The best way to develop a QB is to draft Jameis Winston.  We have done just that.  His ability takes over from here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The best way to develop a QB is to draft Jameis Winston.  We have done just that.  His ability takes over from here.

Have you made any bets this season about who starts and who doesn't?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good question. I haven't seen any bets he's made to welsh on this season but he can't help himself so I'm sure he's made one with someone.

Please wait…

• bucfan75

Participant

I am very interested to learn what was handed to Winston while at FSU or anywhere else for that matter...Juxtaposed Winston's biography to someone like Andrew Luck or Eli Manning or Peyton Manning.For christ sakes Luck's father was the damn Athletic Director of WVU (was in the running to be the Athletic Director of UT), and currently serves as a senior executive officer of the NCAA, not to mention he was a former QB in the NFL.Peyton and Eli Manning's father just served on the college football playoff board, and, as we all know, was a very successful NFL QB...To this day, Archie is extremely well connected.I would love know in what universe was Winston handed anything in college or in the pros? Especially, given that we are living at a time when Andrew, Peyton, and Eli are each QBing NFL franchises.

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

I think it’s Glennon’s gig to lose……..

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

Good question. I haven't seen any bets he's made to welsh on this season but he can't help himself so I'm sure he's made one with someone.

Welsh??  Does that have something to do with grape soda?? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Welsh??  Does that have something to do with grape soda??

Yes it does."verb (used without object), Informal: Sometimes Offensive.1.to cheat by failing to pay a gambling debt:You aren't going to welsh on me, are you?2.to go back on one's word:He welshed on his promise to help in the campaign."http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/welsh

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

I am very interested to learn what was handed to Winston while at FSU or anywhere else for that matter...Juxtaposed Winston's biography to someone like Andrew Luck or Eli Manning or Peyton Manning.For christ sakes Luck's father was the damn Athletic Director of WVU (was in the running to be the Athletic Director of UT), and currently serves as a senior executive officer of the NCAA, not to mention he was a former QB in the NFL.Peyton and Eli Manning's father just served on the college football playoff board, and, as we all know, was a very successful NFL QB...To this day, Archie is extremely well connected.I would love know in what universe was Winston handed anything in college or in the pros? Especially, given that we are living at a time when Andrew, Peyton, and Eli are each QBing NFL franchises.

I keep seeing or hearing that too much was "handed" to Winston at FSU. What was handed to him? Great point on both Manning's and Luck BTW.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

I hope Winston makes us all forget about Doug Williams. And Freeman, and Brad Johnson. All of them.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

I hope Winston makes us all forget about Doug Williams. And Freeman, and Brad Johnson. All of them.

No one will every forget Brad Johnson if for nothing more then a SB win. The fact you want to forget him is an entirely different story.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it's Glennon's gig to lose........

Winston has been named the starter...Only gig Glennon could lose is the #2 QB position...

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.