Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

Love Cook and the Noles as much as anyone, but I would have drafted OJ Howard with both on the board at #19. Howard was just too good of an option to pass up, and had a higher grade.

My question that I still can’t shake is why didn’t we trade up in the second round and get Cook around where the Vikings did? There was a high probability the Eagles were about to draft him in the second, so the Vikings made the trade. The Bucs could have easily made that trade and gave up their 2nd and 4th or 5th round pick.

As it stands, the bucs drafted a backup saftey in the 2nd round, that was a reach by many.

This offense could have had Jameis, Mike Evans, Jackson, Humphries, Godwin,Brate, OJ Howard and Dalvin Cook…. Unstoppable!!

Why not trade up in the 2nd to get Davlin Cook?

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Why is this still a mystery?  I (as have a few others), have stated a number of times (despite a few telling us that we don’t know what we’re talking about), that it was pretty obvious by all the steps taken by the front office between January 2nd and April 28th, that the Bucs were content with their current backfield situation… and the draft proved it.  This team feels that with Martin and Rodgers, they didn’t need to spend an early round pick on a RB.  It’s clear that Licht and Company do not share many locals’ view on Dalvin Cook and his potential upgrade for this backfield.

• lordnlkon

Participant

Why is this still a mystery? I (as have a few others), have stated a number of times (despite a few telling us that we don’t know what we’re talking about), that it was pretty obvious by all the steps taken by the front office between January 2nd and April 28th, that the Bucs were content with their current backfield situation… and the draft proved it. This team feels that with Martin and Rodgers, they didn’t need to spend an early round pick on a RB. It’s clear that Licht and Company do not share many locals’ view on Dalvin Cook and his potential upgrade for this backfield.

Because they can’t get over their obsessive love of cook. They seem to think he’s a generational talent.

• BucsBay

Participant

Because in football, like anything, you’re only as strong as your weakest link. People hate the Evans pick, but I love it. We now have a guy in the secondary that can run and hit.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Plenty of reasons why.

Besides, weren’t there numerous reports that they tried to move up in the 2nd round? Even if that were the case, perhaps it wasn’t enough for the trade partner.

• BucsBay

Participant

Plenty of reasons why.

Besides, weren’t there numerous reports that they tried to move up in the 2nd round? Even if that were the case, perhaps it wasn’t enough for the trade partner.

If they were trying to move up, I think it was for Baker and not Cook.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Why is this still a mystery? I (as have a few others), have stated a number of times (despite a few telling us that we don’t know what we’re talking about), that it was pretty obvious by all the steps taken by the front office between January 2nd and April 28th, that the Bucs were content with their current backfield situation… and the draft proved it. This team feels that with Martin and Rodgers, they didn’t need to spend an early round pick on a RB. It’s clear that Licht and Company do not share many locals’ view on Dalvin Cook and his potential upgrade for this backfield.

Because they can’t get over their obsessive love of cook. They seem to think he’s a generational talent.

Oh, he’s certainly that. It’s just not what the Buc’s need right now. Cook will be legendary.

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Judging by what Arizona gave up to get Baker, it would have cost a lot. Arizona gave Chicago their 2nd, 4th, 6th, and next year’s 4th to move up 9 spots to get Budda Baker and this year’s 7th. I was really surprised Arizona gave up that much for Baker it almost seemed like a desperation move. Arizona’s defense did struggle big time last year and they needed a player like Baker, but that’s giving up a lot.

Ironically, we would have needed to move up exactly 9 spots also to get Cook FWIW. Assuming we would have had to give up that much to get Cook, would you do it?

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• CoachEricTaylor

Participant

I think the answer is really quite simple.  With all the info and scoop they were able to get on Cook, from scouts, friends, players, coaches, etc. – the front office folks obviously didn’t feel they needed him. He may have many strengths as a RB, but if you look at a simple pro vs cons list, the cons probably outweighed the pros. One of which was their feeling of the need of DB help/depth. I think a previous poster is correct in the assumption that they were trying to trade up for Budda and the price was too steep and they felt they could get another guy on the board (Evans) without breaking the bank.

• Live4BUCS

Participant

If we traded up in the 2nd I would hope it was for a better safety.

Doug – Budda > Cook-Wilcox….IMO..

• GoldsonAges

Participant

On paper it looks like a lot to give up, trading a 2nd, 4th, 6th, and next year’s 4th for Cook.

But after the fact, we are talking about trading Justin Evans, Kendall Beckwith and next year’s 4th for Dalvin Cook and a 7th round pick.

Is that worth it now that we know the outcome?

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

“If they were trying to move up, I think it was for Baker and not Cook.”

Bingo! I simply do not think the Buccaneers were overly impressed with Dalvin Cook’s skill set. McNichols was ranked anywhere from the seventh to the ninth best running back in this class. If you pop the hood and look deeper he was probably top five as far as a well-rounded RB…being able to run, catch and pass block.

Plus, trading up from 50 to mid 30s would’ve cost us at least a 3rd and 5th. I would much rather have Evans, Godwin and Beckwith over Dalvin and a 4th round leftover pick.

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

Thanks for the responses guys.. I haven’t been on the board in a while to gauge the reasons why.  Just think that backfield would be sick, and like I said, I love the Howard pick and would have picked him over Cook.    Just wish we could have got them both somehow.

I get that the Bucs brass is still high on Martin, my concern is he won’t be here the first 3 games.    They must have thought they needed “some” help at RB being that they drafted a running back in the 5th round.

Very excited for this coming year and can’t wait to see this new explosive offense.   Winston finally has some great talent around him instead of just Evans and the Undrafted FA’s.    He will make a huge jump from year 2 to year 3.

• Twelfth White

Participant

Plenty of reasons why. Besides, weren’t there numerous reports that they tried to move up in the 2nd round? Even if that were the case, perhaps it wasn’t enough for the trade partner.

This right here. We tried to trade up to the late 30’s and no one was a match. It happens.

Formerly GMC 93

• nybuccguy

Participant

We didnt draft Cook because he is a fumbling machine. How do you think Koetter feels about turnovers?

• Havok904

Participant

On paper it looks like a lot to give up, trading a 2nd, 4th, 6th, and next year’s 4th for Cook. But after the fact, we are talking about trading Justin Evans, Kendall Beckwith and next year’s 4th for Dalvin Cook and a 7th round pick. Is that worth it now that we know the outcome?

Apparently the Bucs didn’t think that much of Cook or Baker.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

On paper it looks like a lot to give up, trading a 2nd, 4th, 6th, and next year’s 4th for Cook. But after the fact, we are talking about trading Justin Evans, Kendall Beckwith and next year’s 4th for Dalvin Cook and a 7th round pick. Is that worth it now that we know the outcome?

This is an interesting theory.

Knowing what we know now, I’m not sure how I’d feel. Fairly neutral, I guess.

But, not knowing who we ended up picking, the answer would easily be no. Way too much to give up.

Again, great question.

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

We didnt draft Cook because he is a fumbling machine. How do you think Koetter feels about turnovers?

<p style=”text-align: right;”>

</p>
      <p style=”text-align: right;”>Cook lost only 1 fumble last year.. .🙄</p>

• nybuccguy

Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”> </p> <p style=”text-align: right;”>Cook lost only 1 fumble last year.. .</p>

LOST one fumble. You are okay with fumbles because his own team recovered the majority last year? Cook puts the ball on the ground once out of every 63 touches. That will never be acceptable.

• Anonymous

Inactive

“If they were trying to move up, I think it was for Baker and not Cook.” Bingo! I simply do not think the Buccaneers were overly impressed with Dalvin Cook’s skill set. McNichols was ranked anywhere from the seventh to the ninth best running back in this class. If you pop the hood and look deeper he was probably top five as far as a well-rounded RB…being able to run, catch and pass block. Plus, trading up from 50 to mid 30s would’ve cost us at least a 3rd and 5th. I would much rather have Evans, Godwin and Beckwith over Dalvin and a 4th round leftover pick.

Of course they were impressed with Dalvins skill set, they are not idiots. If you read the articles written by SR and MC you will know it was character issues that was a concern, dude hangs with thugs.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

as is mcnichols…

• nybuccguy

Participant

as is mcnichols…

Which is why he went in the 5th round and Cook was never an option. Thanks for proving my point.

• LouisCarter

Participant

I have a feeling that some in this thread were arguing to keep Glennon and draft an Olineman #1 in 2014.

You boys wouldn’t know an offensive game breaker if it whacked you in the ass.

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

I have a feeling that some in this thread were arguing to keep Glennon and draft an Olineman #1 in 2014. You boys wouldn’t know an offensive game breaker if it whacked you in the ass.

And for many of the Poe-Tater-Headz on this board…IT whacking them In the ass is something they deal with often.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

I figure this is a good thread to ask all those who cry like girls when you watch your college football…

Would Bobo Wilson be a good punt returner?

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

I figure this is a good thread to ask all those who cry like girls when you watch your college football…

Would Bobo Wilson be a good punt returner?

Maybe we put Hargreaves back there. Dude has to earn his check……

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

No no on Bobo…

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

I figure this is a good thread to ask all those who cry like girls when you watch your college football… Would Bobo Wilson be a good punt returner?

He wouldn’t be bad, I would just hope we had better.

I beleive last last year he could have started at WR.. this year Bono will be about 7th best.   We have loaded up and I love it.

• CaptainStagger

Participant

If common knowledge says don’t draft a RB in the first round, then trading up in the second round still overvalues the position.

• CaptainStagger

Participant

Also worth noting, next year’s class is pretty stacked.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Also worth noting, next year’s class is pretty stacked.

Not nearly as stacked as this past season. In fact, there are not a ton of Heisman type RBs outside of Guice in Baton Rouge, that I can think of off the top of my head. Scarborough is a nice piece but, he’s not Heisman caliber.

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

Saquon Barkley out of Penn State is scary good. Imo he’s the best of the bunch.

• Naismith

Participant

I think it’s pretty clear that the Bucs weren’t that high on Cook. They knew where they had to get if they wanted him and were willing to come out of the draft with less picks than they went in and still didn’t make the move.

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

Cook’s gonna be pretty average in the NFL

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Cook’s gonna be pretty average 5.2 yards per carry in the NFL

FIFY

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

Cook’s gonna be pretty average 5.2 yards per carry in the NFL

FIFY

With the poor OL in Minnesota, this is highly unlikely.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.