Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

What would you have done? Draft Chubb at 7, or trade down and draft Vea, Stewart, and Davis. I’ll go with the latter all day, all night.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t know what your haul would be before the trade down, so I take Chubb and never look back.

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

The terms of the deal had been agreed upon before the night of the draft (TB’s 1st, for Buff’s 1st and 2 2nds).

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

I trade down.

• Nobody

Participant

Hmmm, if I think of my best case scenario coming into this draft:

Nelson OG
      Jackson CB
      Walton RB

…and sub Chubb for Nelson and grab Watson and Cichy in 5 and 6…

That is s difficult one. I feel like Chubb is a better football player than Garrett who went 1 overall last year. I’d be very surprised if Jackson doesn’t turn into a very good, ball-hawking CB. And Davis is a very good all-purpose back with transferable running traits and low tread. He would be on the field for us on running and passing downs.

Those 3 players I love versus Vea (love), Jones (like), Stewart (very unsure), Davis (like), Cappa (project that will boom or bust with Pass Pro technique/leverage development), Whitehead (very unsure).

Hmmmmm…

• blind melon

Participant

We know what Licht would have done if he were to stay true to the board – Chubb would be a Buc.

That said – I think that the offer on the table would have increased due to Chubb still being there at 7 (notable elite talent league wide), which may have had the trade occur anyway… (two firsts instead of …)

• creamsicles

Participant

I put a premium on pass rushing DE, so I would have taken Chubb… and I’m usually in the trade down camp. It’s just so rare to get a chance at an elite guy at DE. I would have taken a CB in second, possibly with a trade down, and also got Cappa. If I traded down in second, I should have options at RB, like Walton or Heins. I dump Sweezy and pick up a safety like Reid. I loved the Buc’s trade down, but would feel awfully good with this type of Chubb scenario as well.

• creamsicles

Participant

Oh… and Chubb was my only guy to have me stick at 7. I would have traded down with Nelson or Barkley there… even though I like both greatly.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

We got the best DL in the draft.

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• nitey

Participant

This would have been a very tough decision, but given that I could pick up two extra players and still get a player I liked at #12 – I’d have to take the trade down. It’s the only responsible thing to do for the franchise. No pick is a sure thing, and being able to get 3 chances for the pro-bowl player is the main factor.

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

Trade down. Draft capital is everything.

If we were a player or two away then maybe take Chubb. We were 5-7 players away with holes at RB, CB, Safety and OL.

We freaking nailed it!

There were wide spread reports that the talent level from picks 20 to 60 were about the same, so even more so when factoring this particular draft class.

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

It makes the haul that much bigger.

• Redrum

Participant

The only player I would have taken over the trade is Barkley.

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

I think Vea is going to be a more impactful player than Chubb. It’s just a feeling.

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

Trade down was best option no matter what, way too many holes needed filling.

• Biggs3535

Participant

It was always draft Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley, and trade back if they are gone. That hasn’t changed for me. You take Chubb and work the rest of the draft.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Prior to the draft I would say Chubb. Seeing how it played out I like how it went anyway.
      I dont think there would have been a wrong decision either way.

We essentially picked up two additional corners. Time will tell if they make an impact. I like how they both play and they both fit roles that were huge needs.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

There is a Chubb type (or 3) that comes out every year. There is only a Vea type that comes along every 5 to 10 years. Oh, and we get 3 other players with the picks acquired and additional trade down. Easy peezy!

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

^^^^^^ I agree.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d still take Chubb and live with the results. It’s 1a (Chubb) and 1b (trading back) for me

• NotDeadYet

Participant

Vea will make the whole front 7 better and disrupt opposing blockingschemes more often than Chubb. And we get 2 extra 2nd round picks this year, which should speed up our building of the D.

• BucNCane

Participant

Chubb and Jones would also look mighty fine.

I like Carlton more than Stewart but if 1 pans out then a trade back would make more sense.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Jameis Wins-A-Ton
      May 7, 18 at 7:37 pm #1082604
      There is a Chubb type (or 3) that comes out every year. There is only a Vea type that comes along every 5 to 10 years.

This shit is laughable, and I’m not bashing Vea. You ladies need to chill out on the Vea hyperbole.

Why did a “5 to 10 year player” not get drafted until #12?

• BucsBay

Participant

I didn’t realize until I saw this by Schefty that Denver was all set to trade down with Buffalo from #5 until Chubb was still on the board @5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4wDEUOF7Yg&t=279s

• RudeGuy

Participant

I would have gone with Chubb. I don’t remember many on PR ringing the Vea bell prior to the draft. Maybe a few after SR pimped him on one of his mocks several weeks back.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Nobody knows how it’s going to play out with Vea, but I have never seen a DT with as much potential ever.

@Biggs I think the reason he went #12 is because he’s not very polished. He’s far from a finished product.

He plays with high pad level at times and his tackling needs some work. I assume if he was better his senior year on those two points he would have been easily top 10.

I thought there was no chance he would’ve made it past the 9’ers and Raiders, but the QB’s obviously played some part in that.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

@Biggs & Goldson

Jameis Wins-A-Ton
      May 7, 18 at 7:37 pm #1082604
      There is a Chubb type (or 3) that comes out every year. There is only a Vea type that comes along every 5 to 10 years.

This shit is laughable, and I’m not bashing Vea. You ladies need to chill out on the Vea hyperbole.

Why did a “5 to 10 year player” not get drafted until #12?

In addition to G.A. making valid points I would say that team needs played a big part along with the premium position narrative. #1 players @ QB, DE, CB, Safety, RB, OT & OG all went before the top DT. I 100% stand by the statement that we will not see a guy like him come out in the next several years. Guarantee there’s a guy comparable if not more skilled than Chubb next year at defense end.

Vea is a game plan wrecking ball. Just wait!

#nochubby4chubb

• Graham

Participant

The speed and athletic profile in a nearly 350 pound man are the traits that only come along every 5-10 years.

This is a tough question. I’d imagine we’d be upset if Licht had passed Chubb up. I also think he would have asked for more for the pick with Chubb being available. Would we have been even happier with say Vea, Jaire Alexander at #22, and Davis/Stewart in the second? Or even a quick move back up to land both Vea and James? Hard to say in hindsight.

Keep in mind Denver had this exact same option, if not more, and chose Chubb.

For our purposes I like what the trade accomplished for the depth of this team. I foresee them being better overall after the additions via free agency, trades, and the additional picks in the draft.

They added legitimate pass rush. A nasty center and an in house upgrade at guard in lieu of that center. Three run stopping defensive tackles. An explosive RB. Secondary depth with early picks. Re-signing of multiple players to extensions. Kept a starting CB for one more year.

Jason Licht has addressed everything he’s needed to. From the #1 overall pick in 2015 to this. Now they just have to put it on the field.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Graham
      May 8, 18 at 6:40 am #1082728
      The speed and athletic profile in a nearly 350 pound man are the traits that only come along every 5-10 years.

That point is closer to being accurate that the gross hyperbole some posters are placing on Vea. Some of you homers need to pump the brakes on the hype.

• Defense5599

Blocked

Very tough call. We nailed this draft, whereas who knows what would’ve happened had we stood pat and taken Chubb

• BP1

Participant

The pick would have been Chubb. PR would have had a meltdown if Chubb was there at #7 and we traded down.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.