Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Michael Vick takes credit for starting running QB trend"I was the guy who started it all," he said. Jason Butt    National Football PostJune 21, 2014, 09:47 PM EST.vick_zpsc0fbb9f6.jpgRice & Sapp heckle a rookie QB in Atlanta. Jets quarterback Michael Vick believes he's the reason for the recent trend of NFL teams being more open to mobile quarterbacks. In an interview with ESPN, Vick reflected on his career and talked about he's the reason running quarterbacks have had more of a chance in the past decade. "I was the guy who started it all," Vick said. "I revolutionized the game. I changed the way it was played in the NFL." Vick has a point. He's run for more yards than any quarterback in league history (5,857) and did so despite missing two seasons due to a jail stint stemming from his role in an illegal dogfighting ring. But by no means was Vick the first mobile quarterback in the NFL. Fran Tarkenton was exceptional at making plays with his feet, as were Randall Cunningham and Steve Young. Even Donovan McNabb showcased his running skills early in his career. Vick has been an exceptional talent on the football field. But to suggest he was a pioneer might be reaching a bit. In fact, one of the reasons mobile quarterbacks such as Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel have been drafted has been due to their accuracy and arm strength, in addition to the ability to run the read-option. While Vick's accomplishments should be noted, he may want to take a step back before proclaiming himself the reason for other quarterbacks' success.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a feeling he will be in legal trouble and possibly prison again once he’s out of the league. The guys whole life is filled with stupid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was about to say, ..someone had better bring up Cunningham.Vick is seriously a dummy. But hey, he's the "first African American to" ..drown dogs while in the nfl. He'll always be remembered.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was about to say, ..someone had better bring up Cunningham.Vick is seriously a dummy. But hey, he's the "first African American to" ..drown dogs while in the nfl. He'll always be remembered.

Poor Vick has no idea who Cunningham is or what he did for the game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he needs to look up the name Bobby Douglas.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This doesn’t surprise me at all. He has been spouting off up there in Jet land, about not being named the starter already. And Geno has outplayed him so far in OTA’s.  For a 34 year old QB, who is trying to hang on a bit longer, before retiring, he sure talks a lot of smack.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, let’s take a moment and look back at all of those scrambling QBs and all of the rings they have earned.  Let’s see………..there was………..and who can forget………….and whatever happened to………..  Any team that is looking to succeed with a running QB better have a QB that throw from a messy pocket first.  This “athletic” Qb trend is has ruptured more ACL’s than it has yielded any championships.  Throw hard and throw accurately, all the rest is nonsense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, let's take a moment and look back at all of those scrambling QBs and all of the rings they have earned.  Let's see...........there was...........and who can forget.............and whatever happened to...........  Any team that is looking to succeed with a running QB better have a QB that throw from a messy pocket first.  This "athletic" Qb trend is has ruptured more ACL's than it has yielded any championships.  Throw hard and throw accurately, all the rest is nonsense.

Russell Wilson?Kaepernik ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, let's take a moment and look back at all of those scrambling QBs and all of the rings they have earned.  Let's see...........there was...........and who can forget.............and whatever happened to...........  Any team that is looking to succeed with a running QB better have a QB that throw from a messy pocket first.  This "athletic" Qb trend is has ruptured more ACL's than it has yielded any championships.  Throw hard and throw accurately, all the rest is nonsense.

Kaepernik -  Throws great from the pocket.Wilson - Knows how to succeed the in the pocket. When he breaks the pocket he's more like Brees than Vick, which is to say that he's looking downfileld to make a play with his arm before running.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kaepernik -  Throws great from the pocket.Wilson - Knows how to succeed the in the pocket. When he breaks the pocket he's more like Brees than Vick, which is to say that he's looking downfileld to make a play with his arm before running.

Last season Kap and Wilson both had over 500 yards running it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Last season Kap and Wilson both had over 500 yards running it.

They are great runners but are keen on what matters most.  Throwing from the pocket. If you can't throw from the pocket you can't succeed in the NFL, it's why JFF has zero chance in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bass roots for un-athletic stay in the pocket QB’s like Glennon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This doesn't surprise me at all. He has been spouting off up there in Jet land, about not being named the starter already. And Geno has outplayed him so far in OTA's.  For a 34 year old QB, who is trying to hang on a bit longer, before retiring, he sure talks a lot of smack.

For being the leading rushing quarterback in NFL history I see no reason why he cant be arrogant about that fact.btw love that pic of simeon, sapp, and vick. good times

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This doesn't surprise me at all. He has been spouting off up there in Jet land, about not being named the starter already. And Geno has outplayed him so far in OTA's.  For a 34 year old QB, who is trying to hang on a bit longer, before retiring, he sure talks a lot of smack.

For being the leading rushing quarterback in NFL history I see no reason why he cant be arrogant about that fact.btw love that pic of simeon, sapp, and vick. good times

He said he started it all....that is a blatant lie. He said he revolutionized the game....that is quite the stretch. He didn't say he was the best running qb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He revolutionized how to be a dumbass.That's his contribution to the game.Go vick..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was one of the 1st ones to run some option read in the NFL though , so he has a point . There were running QB’s before him , but designed running plays and Read Option is pretty new phenomenon for the NFL  . It was believed it couldn’t work.Now Read Option is common place.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was one of the 1st ones to run some option read in the NFL though , so he has a point . There were running QB's before him , but designed running plays and Read Option is pretty new phenomenon for the NFL  . It was believed it couldn't work.Now Read Option is common place.

Yeah, but the read option part of it has to be a very small part of your QB repertoire for it to work.  In San Fran for example it's about 11% of the plays - even that may be too heavy for long term success.Counting playoffs, the 49ers had more penalties for offensive holding (26) than Kaepernick had rushing attempts on zone-read plays (21).  In 2012 these plays accounted for 1.7 percent of yards and 1.8 percent of touchdowns, counting playoffs, league wide. I bet it was less last year with RGIII dinged up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It was really Cam, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson who changed how the game is played today. Vick was that weird anomaly but he wasn’t what changed the league.Cam and the Panthers were really the first to bring the read-option to the NFL. The 49ers and Seahawks adopted it and we were off - with every team in the league looking for some type of flavor of it. Vick was before his time...just like Steve McNair, Cunninham and those before him. I wonder if Vince Young was serious about his conditioning and play if he could succeed in today's NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Im Ron Mexico?

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

what an azzhat

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kaepernick hasn't earned a ring.Vick's an idiot, he was fast as hell but was never anything special as a QB. He had a cannon for an arm and combined with his legs he had everything you want out of a QB physically, but he just wasn't ever all that great. He was fun to watch and put up some pretty numbers but he's got quite the inflated view of himself. Especially considering the guys who paved the way for him, like Steve Young, Tarkenton, Cunningham.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kaepernick hasn't earned a ring.Vick's an idiot, he was fast as hell but was never anything special as a QB. He had a cannon for an arm and combined with his legs he had everything you want out of a QB physically, but he just wasn't ever all that great.

He was fun to watch and put up some pretty numbers

but he's got quite the inflated view of himself. Especially considering the guys who paved the way for him, like Steve Young, Tarkenton, Cunningham.

I wish fans would properly define what their interests are with a QB.  If you want someone who is fun to watch that is one thing, wanting a winner is completely another.  I happen to believe, despite all the media hype otherwise, that the QB is a piece of the puzzle, albeit a big piece, he's a piece nonetheless.  The pieces that surround the QB are more important than the QB himself and that will never change IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree, that was my point, 10lb. He was a highlight reel but I don’t care if we have a guy like that, I’d rather have a Brad Johnson at QB and win big games than a guy like Kaepernick or Vick and lose them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vick had every tool imaginable to be the best QB in NFL history except for the gray matter between the earholes.The evidence is clear. He never won anything or made his team better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree, that was my point, 10lb. He was a highlight reel but I don't care if we have a guy like that, I'd rather have a Brad Johnson at QB and win big games than a guy like Kaepernick or Vick and lose them.

Exactly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vick had every tool imaginable to be the best QB in NFL history except for the gray matter between the earholes.The evidence is clear. He never won anything or made his team better.

Lol!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kaepernick hasn't earned a ring.

He and the Niners got rings in 2013. Both Super Bowl teams get rings.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I’m aware of that. I thought we just meant the “big” one. The ring players actually want to show off haha.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was one of the 1st ones to run some option read in the NFL though , so he has a point . There were running QB's before him , but designed running plays and Read Option is pretty new phenomenon for the NFL  . It was believed it couldn't work.Now Read Option is common place.

Yeah, but the read option part of it has to be a very small part of your QB repertoire for it to work.  In San Fran for example it's about 11% of the plays - even that may be too heavy for long term success.Counting playoffs, the 49ers had more penalties for offensive holding (26) than Kaepernick had rushing attempts on zone-read plays (21).  In 2012 these plays accounted for 1.7 percent of yards and 1.8 percent of touchdowns, counting playoffs, league wide. I bet it was less last year with RGIII dinged up.

Doesn't matter anyway. Steve young had designed running plays when he first played. Then there was favre, who was actually touted as a "running qb" coming out of college.And theses aren't even guys I would say equal vick in that regard, but they prove vick had nothing new on anything. The knowledge of having a running qb at the helm hasn't been a new thing. They simply haven't used it as much. It's obviously riskier, so they (coaches) prefer to have their qb upright the whole game/season.And cunningham, in the running game, might actually have been better than vick. So he can't even say with a hundred percent certainty he's the best running qb ever.Vick is just a washed up dog-killing has-been who wants to get his name out so he can hopefully get his name somewhere and get credit. He knows his time is about up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Randall Cunningham, the Ultimate Weapon, changed the game long before Vick. Randall-SI.jpghttp://section215.com/2013/06/11/randall-cunningham-documentary-planned/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man. Vick never saw that?? ..must’ve been a futball fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His head is so big Ron Mexico has to wear a sombrero!

Please wait…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.