Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 108 reply threads

• Author

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

you should be.Both Mariota and Winston are intelligent, hard working football players with amazing athletic gifts.  Winston does come off as immature and Mariota isn't a fiery leader.But both young men are sharp and can make defenses pay on the field.  It is an honor to be able to choose either one to help this franchise out.Bucs passing on either one would be a massive mistake. 

Build the trenches!

• Anonymous

Inactive

you should be.Both Mariota and Winston are intelligent, hard working football players with amazing athletic gifts.  Winston does come off as immature and Mariota isn't a fiery leader.But both young men are sharp and can make defenses pay on the field.  It is an honor to be able to choose either one to help this franchise out.Bucs passing on either one would be a massive mistake.

I think every fan realizes that the Bucs have an excellent opportunity to get a perceived franchise qb, I'm not on board only because I don't believe Lovie will draft one, and if he does, he won't let that qb reach their full potential.If you fire Lovie today, and bring in anybody that has a brain, I'm fully on board (but I'm actually hoping for Connor Cook, tbh)

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think every fan realizes that the Bucs have an excellent opportunity to get a perceived franchise qb, I'm not on board only because I don't believe Lovie will draft one, and if he does, he won't let that qb reach their full potential.If you fire Lovie today, and bring in anybody that has a brain, I'm fully on board (but I'm actually hoping for Connor Cook, tbh)

I wouldn't worry about that. A good QB will always outlast a bad coach. We just have to hope we get a good QB.

• billym

Participant

Two points.I believe the Glazers will make sure one of the QB's is drafted numero uno.And hiring a innovative OC takes care of the Mariota worries.IMO

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shit. Mistakes are all they know how to do!

• billym

Participant

(censored). Mistakes are all they know how to do!

And drafting one of the QB's #1 could be another mistake. But its worth taking a chance IMO. Maybe you strike out, or maybe you hit a homerun. But at least you tried.

• Anonymous

Inactive

(censored). Mistakes are all they know how to do!

And drafting one of the QB's #1 could be another mistake. But its worth taking a chance IMO. Maybe you strike out, or maybe you hit a homerun. But at least you tried.

exactlycant hit a homerun if you dont swing the batwith the rookie wage scale you can afford to make a mistake and give up on a guy if he doesnt work out without crippling your cap

• Anonymous

Inactive

The bucs defense is the best in the NFC South by a good chunk. All we need is a QB who doesn’t turn the ball over three times a game and we’d still be in the hunt. Mariota simply doesn’t turn the ball over. That’s what i want, stop fumbles, stupid INTs from McCown. Guy hasn’t figured out how to hold the ball in the pocket yet after 15 years.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t care who you are, your ice just got thin after a 2-14 (pending) season. I actually have relative faith in Lovie in his realization of having to go get one of the big 2. No one's career is safe after an embarrassing season of having to "win now."He's gotta attach himself to one of these 2 guys. If they succeed then great everyone loves him again, if not, well honestly he was probably on his way out anyways.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The bucs defense is the best in the NFC South by a good chunk. All we need is a QB who doesn't turn the ball over three times a game and we'd still be in the hunt. Mariota simply doesn't turn the ball over. That's what i want, stop fumbles, stupid INTs from McCown. Guy hasn't figured out how to hold the ball in the pocket yet after 15 years.

But would he still throw hardly any pics in a pro style offense where he doesnt have mutiple speedy guys wide up all over the place? I really dont know. Thats my problem when comparing. I can picture Winston playing for the Bucs. I cant picture Mariota playing for the Bucs because I dont know what he would look like. When I think of Mariota I can only think of the Oregon offense that he plays in because thats the only thing we have to go on. Thinking of that transferred over to the Bucs is impossible, so when I imagine Mariota as a Buc I can pretty much only visualize him in a Bucs uni and it stops there.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two points.I believe the Glazers will make sure one of the QB's is drafted numero uno.And hiring a innovative OC takes care of the Mariota worries.IMO

If you could guarantee me that Lovie allows an OC to work his magic. I think you mentioned Martz in another thread (my apologies if it wasn't you). Sure seemed that Martz under Vermeil, with Green and Warner accomplished more explosive offenses then Martz did under Lovie. Yes I know Knox and Williams are not Bruce and Holt, but didn't the Bears have Hester, couldn't he have been the speed guy that Martz loved?Just my opinion, but I don't believe Lovie will allow an offense to overshadow his defense. I understand how stupid that sounds, as any coach will want to win, but I truly believe he is so stubborn that he is right that he'll go to all ends to prove his way is still relevant.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am a believer in building a good all around team. I am not sold on either QB so I won’t be pissed if we passed on both of them. My idea is to draft BPA regardless of position. If the top 5 pick lands us a future hall of famer it would be more beneficial than drafting a (just ok) QB or a future bust QB. This team has drafted based on need for so long with very little good results. I wouldn’t mind signing a place holder vet or drafting someone later in the draft as our QB. A good team and good coaching can make up for mediocre QB play just look at the Eagles, Bills, Cardinals, and Bengals. Even Flacco, Wilson and Eli Manning are nothing special as QBs and they have won Superbowls. I want to think long term, I’m not primarily interested in filling the stadium next year. A lot of the franchise’s success depends on the scouting of the prospects and coaching, not on the hope of drafting a top 5 QB just because you need one and hoping you strike gold on him becoming a savior.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't worry about that. A good QB will always outlast a bad coach. We just have to hope we get a good QB.

You've mentioned this before, and for the life of me, I can't think of one example where this has ever happened.  Off the top of my head, I'm trying to remember any team having a bad coach, a good QB... having said coach fired, and then the QB bloom into stardom with the new HC.  I also can't remember any HC who was bad that won a lot of games because his QB was good.  Now, you might find something prior to 2000 when the game was different and more run heavy, but that's not the way the game is today.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You've mentioned this before, and for the life of me, I can't think of one example where this has ever happened.  Off the top of my head, I'm trying to remember any team having a bad coach, a good QB... having said coach fired, and then the QB bloom into stardom with the new HC.  I also can't remember any HC who was bad that won a lot of games because his QB was good.  Now, you might find something prior to 2000 when the game was different and more run heavy, but that's not the way the game is today.

Who's guaranteed to be with the dolphins next year. Philbin or Tannehill? Rivers outlasted Norv Turner. Romo has had 2 or 3 coaches right? Stafford is on his second head coach. So is Cutler.

• billym

Participant

Barry Switzer?

• Anonymous

Inactive

The bucs defense is the best in the NFC South by a good chunk. All we need is a QB who doesn't turn the ball over three times a game and we'd still be in the hunt. Mariota simply doesn't turn the ball over. That's what i want, stop fumbles, stupid INTs from McCown. Guy hasn't figured out how to hold the ball in the pocket yet after 15 years.

But would he still throw hardly any pics in a pro style offense where he doesnt have mutiple speedy guys wide up all over the place? I really dont know. Thats my problem when comparing. I can picture Winston playing for the Bucs. I cant picture Mariota playing for the Bucs because I dont know what he would look like. When I think of Mariota I can only think of the Oregon offense that he plays in because thats the only thing we have to go on. Thinking of that transferred over to the Bucs is impossible, so when I imagine Mariota as a Buc I can pretty much only visualize him in a Bucs uni and it stops there.

I agree with this assessment... which is why I'm hoping the Bucs trade down or draft Radny Gregory or Amari Cooper.  I want no part of Winston.  I don't trust him to stay out of trouble.  I wouldn't be upset with Shane Ray either.

• billym

Participant

If you could guarantee me that Lovie allows an OC to work his magic. I think you mentioned Martz in another thread (my apologies if it wasn't you). Sure seemed that Martz under Vermeil, with Green and Warner accomplished more explosive offenses then Martz did under Lovie. Yes I know Knox and Williams are not Bruce and Holt, but didn't the Bears have Hester, couldn't he have been the speed guy that Martz loved?Just my opinion, but I don't believe Lovie will allow an offense to overshadow his defense. I understand how stupid that sounds, as any coach will want to win, but I truly believe he is so stubborn that he is right that he'll go to all ends to prove his way is still relevant.

No I have never made the Martz argument.And I think Lovie hiring Tedford shows he is interested in an innovative offense.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's guaranteed to be with the dolphins next year. Philbin or Tannehill? Rivers outlasted Norv Turner. Romo has had 2 or 3 coaches right? Stafford is on his second head coach. So is Cutler.

I can't give you Tannehill because I don't think he's a "good" QB.  I also can't give you Rivers, Cutler, and Romo because they all developed under good coaches.  Norv Turner is an excellent offensive coach, so was Mike Shanahan.  If I remember correctly, Romo developed under Bill Parcels and he wasn't too bad either.  Those 3 guys have a lot of Super Bowl rings amongst them.  Stafford is really the only one who I'd say would qualify.If the Bucs draft Mariota or Winston, they'll basically come in under the circumstances that Matt Stafford did.  That's not something I'll be excited about.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can't give you Tannehill because I don't think he's a "good" QB.  I also can't give you Rivers, Cutler, and Romo because they all developed under good coaches.  Norv Turner is an excellent offensive coach, so was Mike Shanahan.  If I remember correctly, Romo developed under Bill Parcels and he wasn't too bad either.  Those 3 guys have a lot of Super Bowl rings amongst them.  Stafford is really the only one who I'd say would qualify.If the Bucs draft Mariota or Winston, they'll basically come in under the circumstances that Matt Stafford did.  That's not something I'll be excited about.

My point is a good QB will get more chances than a head coach will. You just have to find the good QB who's worth that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a harder decision than you think because Amari Cooper is the better player and screams Hall of Famer. A little shorter, but this is a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green type player and pairing him with Evans could be historic.

• Anonymous

Inactive

My point is a good QB will get more chances than a head coach will. You just have to find the good QB who's worth that.

I do agree that this was true back in a day, but because of the new financial structure of the NFL draft, I don't think so any more.I honestly think that if Stafford had been drafted under the current structure, I'm not so sure he's the QB in Detroit right now.  In his first 2 seasons he was 3-10 and hurt a lot.  His completion pct was under 55% and all his other numbers were just as bad.  The 2011 had 6 QB's taken in the first 36 picks that year.  It's not inconceivable that the Lions take one of those 6 to compete with Stafford.  My reasoning why I feel this way is spurred from what has happened in St. Louis with Bradford.  The only reason the Rams never really tried to replace him was because of all that money he got when he signed.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a harder decision than you think because Amari Cooper is the better player and screams Hall of Famer. A little shorter, but this is a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green type player and pairing him with Evans could be historic.

I'd be more accepting of Cooper at #1 than I would of Mariota or Winston.

• Anonymous

Inactive

With who throwing the ball?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Second round, trade, wait till 2016. Lot of options.

• Anonymous

Inactive

With who throwing the ball?

Mike Evans will end up with 70+ receptions, 1100+ yards, and 11+ TD's in 15 games this year with these bums throwing the ball.  Cooper and Evans, with Jenkins at TE, could make the passing and running game much easier.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hes an Odell Beckham type of player. People now see why I said Beckham was the best WR in last years draft class.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hes an Odell Beckham type of player. People now see why I said Beckham was the best WR in last years draft class.

Odell Beckham?  I won't go that far.  Having Eli Manning running the show makes playing WR a lot easier than it does with Glennon and McCown.  Plus, Evans' numbers are just as good if not better. 

• Anonymous

Inactive