Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 33 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most blue states will make Biden’s July 4 vaccine goal. The red ones won’t.

“CNN)The United States looks increasingly unlikely to reach President Joe Biden’s July 4 vaccine goal. We need at least 70% of all adults to have one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, and we’re on pace to have somewhere between 67% and 68%.

The overall picture masks, however, an underlying pattern: Nearly all of the states Biden won will make his goal, while all of the states he lost are unlikely to.
      The vaccine partisan divide among adults is greater than ever currently. As of Thursday’s CDC report, 69.9% of adults in the average Biden-won state have received at least one dose, meaning those states have basically already reached Biden’s goal with more than a little over three weeks to go.
      Compare this to the states Biden lost and Donald Trump won, where an average 54.9% of adults have received at least one dose. The Trump-won states aren’t anywhere close to where the Biden-won states are. You’d have to go back more than a month for the Biden-won states to be averaging a vaccination rate as low as the Trump-won states.

When you break it down by individual states, 13 of the 25 states Biden took last fall have hit the 70% mark. An additional 7 states have at least 67% of all adults with one dose, so they’ll likely reach the 70% threshold by the time July 4 rolls around.

There are zero states that Trump took last fall that have at least 67% of adults with at least one vaccine dose. The closest is Nebraska at 62.8%, which is lower than all but four states Biden won (Arizona, Georgia, Michigan and Nevada).

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Pisses me off but I guess these folks wants to live the covid lifestyle instead of putting it behind us.

Disinformation seems to work pretty damn well

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am sure there are also non political reasons eg more rural, but it’s impossible to deny that if your information sources are foxnews and Facebook and talk radio you’re being fed a big load of anti vaccine bs.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

There’s always multiple layers to everything…

That’s why Biggs struggles… he thinks in binary tangents

Access, education, culture, transportion, etc.

But that’s the beauty of large numbers…

• Coffeeisland

Participant

There’s always multiple layers to everything…

That’s why Biggs struggles… he thinks in binary tangents

Access, education, culture, transportion, etc.

But that’s the beauty of large numbers…

Exactly!

There are multiple layers. Which is why saying the vaccines are perfectly safe is not true.

What you’re missing in this argument is the fact that 1,000’s of doctors advocate for HCQ as preventative treatment. Those doctors and Trump got raked over the coals last year for saying that. The reason given was CONCERNS ABOUT ADVERSE REACTIONS TO A DECADES OLD DRUG.

Now we have a vaccine and again 1,000’s of doctors are expressing concern about ADVERSE REACTIONS TO THE VACCINE. Ow we see those doctors being raked over the coals for saying that!!??

There is plenty of evidence that the vaccines are hurting some people. Why is that now ignored? Why was flimsy (at best) evidence against HCQ given so much weight all of last year?

If you want the vaccine, go for it. But don’t dismiss that some people are truly suffering from it. And don’t dismiss the doctors advocating HCQ without looking with an open mind.

How do you not see the multiple layers you are missing?

• Coffeeisland

Participant

…and BTW

If they are so safe, why have a 20 minute observation area?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

There are approx 1m physicians in the US.

Thousands of doctors is less than 5%… maybe even 1%

The scientific community always has dissent. This is an example

Hydro my have low/med type success rate with covid for some people… best case scenario. Simply as a therapeutic, and there are better options currently.

So yes context, great… but you’re still wrong.

Refusing the vaccine because you read a made up statistic is different than hydro.

The vaccine doesn’t kill people

• Coffeeisland

Participant

More than a dozen countries stopped the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

…when asked, they said a Candy Striper named Fire said they were perfectly safe. But we just have trouble pronouncing the name and sometimes it makes people fart. So we have discontinued its use.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Coffeeisland.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• spartan

Participant

Are these the same people who were so vigorously opposed to opening up, ending the lockdown and emphasized how neanderthally stupid all those red states were? Yea, thought so.

Get back to me when the passage of time shows you were right about SOMETHING then maybe your condescension might carry a bit of weight.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are these the same people who were so vigorously opposed to opening up, ending the lockdown and emphasized how neanderthally stupid all those red states were? Yea, thought so.

Get back to me when the passage of time shows you were right about SOMETHING then maybe your condescension might carry a bit of weight.

You’re actually proving the basis fir them condescension (although not intended that way) by providing a deflection. Opening up versus anti-vaxx is just illogical. One doesn’t connect to the other.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Spartan – presumably you typed all thise words WITHOUT polio, rubella, measles ….

And importantly the SOCIETY you live in, soaking up all the benefits, is basically free of all those diseases because ..wait for it…, you know it’s coming …YOU WERE VACCINATED

way back before the Interweb

• Anonymous

Inactive

• spartan

Participant

Spartan – presumably you typed all thise words WITHOUT polio, rubella, measles ….

And importantly the SOCIETY you live in, soaking up all the benefits, is basically free of all those diseases because ..wait for it…, you know it’s coming …YOU WERE VACCINATED

Irrelevant.

Your Op made some kind of suggestion that the “blue” states have made some kind of advantage on “red” states, or they are smarter because they have a higher vaccination rate. If not then what was the point of it?

Recent economic stats show that “red” states are crushing it compared to the tied down, locked down, not allowed to go for a shit without permission “blue” states when it comes to recovering out of covid so that poo poos over that. Based on that, even if they are in a “coccoon” it would appear to be quite a good coccoon to be in.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Recent economic stats show that “red” states are crushing it compared to the tied down, locked down, not allowed to go for a shit without permission “blue” states when it comes to recovering out of covid so that poo poos over that. Based on that, even if they are in a “coccoon” it would appear to be quite a good coccoon to be in.

Share this data, please

• Anonymous

Inactive

Irrelevant.

Your Op made some kind of suggestion that the “blue” states have made some kind of advantage on “red” states, or they are smarter because they have a higher vaccination rate. If not then what was the point of it?

Wow, get weird information but even taking it at face value it’s like you’re saying “yeah we are behind getting vaccinate, but our economies yo”

That’s part of the problem lol

The point of the op and article is that DISINFORMATION works. The more you are in the cocoon the less likely to be vaccinated, in part because of the mindset you just displayed but also because higher incident of hesitancy, less education etc

• Anonymous

Inactive

Share this data, please

Yeah.

Share the “we may die from the virus or make it keep changing but damn if we won’t sell more tires” data

• spartan

Participant

Share this data, please

Stick this in google ..

red states recovering faster

Then pick any one of the articles that are in the result set. To be honest I haven’t got past page 3 but I’ll allow a bit of flexibility … :)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Share this data, please

Stick this in google ..

Then pick any one of the articles that are in the result set. To be honest I haven’t got past page 3 but I’ll allow a bit of flexibility … :)

Lol

The old Trumper special “Google it bitch”

• spartan

Participant

The point of the op and article is that DISINFORMATION works.

And what disinformation would that be?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Share this data, please

Stick this in google ..

Lol

The old Trumper special “Google it bitch”

The Google says this

“ When misfortunes multiplied during the coronavirus pandemic, observers seized on a four-letter word signaling end of days for the largest state with one-eighth the U.S. population and 14% of its gross domestic product. “California doom: Staggering $54 billion deficit looms,” the Associated Press concluded a year ago in May. “California Is Doomed,” declared Business Insider two months earlier. “Is California doomed to keep burning?” queried the New Republic in October. California is “Doomed” because of rising sea levels, according to an April EcoNews Report. Bulletins of people leaving the world’s fifth-biggest economy for lower-cost states because of high taxes and too much regulation stifling business continue unabated.

No one anticipated the latest data readout showing the Golden State has no peers among developed economies for expanding GDP, creating jobs, raising household income, manufacturing growth, investment in innovation, producing clean energy and unprecedented wealth through its stocks and bonds. All of which underlines Governor Gavin Newsom’s announcement last month of the biggest state tax rebate in American history.

By adding 1.3 million people to its non-farm payrolls since April last year — equal to the entire workforce of Nevada — California easily surpassed also-rans Texas and New York. At the same time, California household income increased $164 billion, almost as much as Texas, Florida and Pennsylvania combined, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. No wonder California’s operating budget surplus, fueled by its surging economy and capital gains taxes, swelled to a record $75 billion.”

• Anonymous

Inactive

The point of the op and article is that DISINFORMATION works.

And what disinformation would that be?

Google it

Seriously, too dumb a question to respond to. You’ll claim some dumb shit like I couldn’t answer and that’s fine. Not worth it

• Anonymous

Inactive

I posted CA economy because it’s obviously the biggest and it’s always the target fir Koch Bros bs AND. Conservatives were so angry over restitutions they started a recall of the Governor lol

How about that rebate?

😂

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I Googled it and legit, this is the third link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/10/30/upshot/red-blue-economic-recovery.amp.html

At the top was of course the Washington Examiner… read that one too.

It goes to show that again, statistics require CONTEXT

• FireLicht2020

Participant

And you know it’s funny because here is the INVERSE statistic to the economy (hint: it’s covid)

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-has-hit-people-in-republican-led-states-hardest-study-finds

And you’ve of course seen the stats initially mentioned that red states won’t get the vaccine.

Oh that PESKY context

• spartan

Participant

Seriously, too dumb a question to respond to

If we are too dumb to understand your points, why the hell are you even bothering? That would be the epitome of wasting time.

• spartan

Participant

It goes to show that again, statistics require CONTEXT

It’s never bothered you guys before!

And that is a pay per view article I have no idea what’s in it. One thing I did notice in some of the articles I read, and this is observational, those articles critical of Red State handling of Covid etc petered out about December time, or after that they rehashed the statistics from that time period. Anything of late have a dramatically different song to sing.

And talking about context, the $75 billion Californian surplus includes $26 billion in Federal Covid aid, and $27billion in education spending, $3billion in debt payments and $8billion in reserve deposits, oh, and it’s calculated over 2 years. So thats $5.5 billion per year without digging very deep at all. Surplus still I grant you, but not quite the eye popping number of $75 billion.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Should I show you the stats on red/blue states and federal aid?

But that’s a tangent…

The article didn’t make me pay so idk… but it was from March and it articulated the context of economic recover per TYPE of business and city-center based business and other things…

Keep in mind the covid infection rate and deaths too… nothing is free

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously, too dumb a question to respond to

If we are too dumb to understand your points, why the hell are you even bothering? That would be the epitome of wasting time.

That’s why I didn’t bother

• Anonymous

Inactive

And talking about context, the $75 billion Californian surplus includes $26 billion in Federal Covid aid

“ For example, the governor’s estimate includes $27 billion in constitutionally required spending on schools and community colleges, nearly $8 billion in required reserve deposits, and $3 billion in required debt payments in his calculation of the surplus.

“After excluding these amounts, our surplus estimates are nearly the same,” the LAO wrote.

Neither the LAO nor the governor included federal funds in their surplus estimates.”

• spartan

Participant

And talking about context, the $75 billion Californian surplus includes $26 billion in Federal Covid aid

“ For example, the governor’s estimate includes $27 billion in constitutionally required spending on schools and community colleges, nearly $8 billion in required reserve deposits, and $3 billion in required debt payments in his calculation of the surplus.

“After excluding these amounts, our surplus estimates are nearly the same,” the LAO wrote.

Neither the LAO nor the governor included federal funds in their surplus estimates.”

Yea, but this does ….

http://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/05/10/california-has-a-staggering-757b-budget-surplus-1381195

“California is due to receive $26 billion in direct federal aid, and Newsom has included that amount in a $100 billion package he’s dubbing the “California Comeback Plan” as he campaigns against the recall.”

And so does this ..

calmatters.org/politics/2021/03/newsom-legislature-stimulus-spending/

But $26 billion will go directly into a state budget already brimming with cash. Those funds come with very few strings attached; in a memo issued Tuesday, the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office called it “flexible funding.”

Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn’t look like it.

Additionally, I really don’t know how to describe including money they are required to spend on other things as a “surplus”, a surplus being an amount of something left over when requirements have been met according to the dictionary.

• spartan

Participant

Oh, and for the record, back to vaccinations for a moment. My wife was under the weather for about 5 days with congestion and a cough, so eventually I sent her for a covid test. She’s even more stubborn than I am if you can imagine that. Thankfully she seems much improved today.

Anyway, the Nurse at the urgent medical center asked if she had been vaccinated and my wife said no. The Nurse gave her the thumbs up and said they have been dealing with more complications from the vaccinations in the last few weeks than actual covid patients. In fact, a mother brought her 8 year old son in last week for a vaccination. He had an instant seizure and was rushed to the ER across the road. He never woke up apparently. Anecdotal I know, and I have no idea of the actual cause of death of the kid but you can at least imagine why there are more than a few people who are pensive about the vaccination when stories like this get around.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh, and for the record, back to vaccinations for a moment. My wife was under the weather for about 5 days with congestion and a cough, so eventually I sent her for a covid test. She’s even more stubborn than I am if you can imagine that. Thankfully she seems much improved today.

Anyway, the Nurse at the urgent medical center asked if she had been vaccinated and my wife said no. The Nurse gave her the thumbs up and said they have been dealing with more complications from the vaccinations in the last few weeks than actual covid patients. In fact, a mother brought her 8 year old son in last week for a vaccination. He had an instant seizure and was rushed to the ER across the road. He never woke up apparently. Anecdotal I know, and I have no idea of the actual cause of death of the kid but you can at least imagine why there are more than a few people who are pensive about the vaccination when stories like this get around.

Every anti vaxx person has a “nurse told me” story

The weird part is to weigh that anecdote the same as an a tire body of science … while being vaccinated for about 6 diseases

That should be obviously illogical, but it’s common in the anti vaxx community

• spartan

Participant

Every anti vaxx person has a “nurse told me” story

The weird part is to weigh that anecdote the same as an a tire body of science … while being vaccinated for about 6 diseases

This is my wife, and It’s first hand, so I don’t think she is going to spin anything to me for some nefarious purpose. Be it grandstanding or anything else. I am not presenting it as science, but all anecdotal and observational warnings start that way at first, what someone saw. I also accept it could off base, but it supports why some people are skeptical. You can call it stupid if you like, others might call it an “abundance of caution.”

And for the record, when I was young I thought drinking copious amounts of alcohol was smart and fun. Then over the years I learned better, usually :) Additionally I had no choice over the vaccinations I had when I was a kid, so that is rather an apples and orange comparison. My point in case you missed it, is just because I did/used to do something doesn’t mean I continue to think that it is a good idea. This, I have learnt, has demonstrated that sometimes you shouldn’t all things blindly and maybe check them out first? Even medical stuff.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can call it stupid if you like, others might call it an “abundance of caution.”

Stupid might be better :-)

Just kidding. I wasn’t saying your wife was spinning a tale I was saying every anti vaxx has a similar story and that an anecdote has to be weighed appropriately ESPECIALLY WHEN YOURE PROBABLY SIX TIMES SUCCESSFULLY VACCINATED (with lesser science)

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.