Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Con Don DeMarco couldn’t get it passed but Benevolent Biden could…

The real art of the deal.

Bwuhhhahahahahahahahahah

Can’t wait to hear Biggs economics on this one!

• Roy

Participant

Some interesting stuff in this bill. I like this one:

New cars will be required to have technology to detect drunk drivers and a system to keep children from being accidentally left in vehicles on hot days under a series of long-sought safety measures included in the infrastructure bill awaiting a vote in the U.S. Senate.

The most depressing news stories are the ones where people accidentally left their kid in a hot car.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Jbear gonna lose his mind over that one!

It’s muh guddddammmmmwrite to let me kids cook

• Roy

Participant

Yeah well I’ll take a great leap of faith and say that the toddler vote would be in favor of this law.

• Biggs3535

Participant

New cars will be required to have technology to detect drunk drivers and a system to keep children from being accidentally left in vehicles on hot days under a series of long-sought safety measures included in the infrastructure bill awaiting a vote in the U.S. Senate.

The most depressing news stories are the ones where people accidentally left their kid in a hot car.

Why is that in an Infrastructure bill?

It’s hard to say as of yet what exactly is in the bill (the CBO, who routinely underestimates costs, hasn’t even rated it yet) but we’re pretty sure it’s not all infrastructure.

And again, Infrastructure bills have been passed under damn near every administration. When is all of this “infrastructure” spent by our wonderful going to show itself?

• jbear

Participant

Yeah well I’ll take a great leap of faith and say that the toddler vote would be in favor of this law.

I love how you two ding dongs never can seem to find a law or dictate you don’t fall in love with at first glance.

Sure sure, lets put brethalizers in all cars… of course! God forbid anyone have any unapproved fun in the fourth Reich. Nevermind that even if I do drink a beer in my own house, my toddler shouldn’t be condemned to die from a medical emergency because I can’t start the car after I dared to have a cocktail. Besides, drinking is bad for you and the societal costs are huge. For every beer you drink we have determined that it costs the collective 3.2 million in eventual healthcare costs.

My only hope right now is self driving cars but I’m sure the good guys will figure out how to put a breathalizer in there too in case I tell it to go to the wrong place or something.

Nanny state Utopia sounds like the greatest horror movie ever made. Can’t wait.

• jbear

Participant

Why is that in an Infrastructure bill?

It’s hard to say as of yet what exactly is in the bill (the CBO, who routinely underestimates costs, hasn’t even rated it yet) but we’re pretty sure it’s not all infrastructure.

And again, Infrastructure bills have been passed under damn near every administration. When is all of this “infrastructure” spent by our wonderful going to show itself?

Of course it’s not all infrastructure. That would have been the Republican infrastructure bill but since the bad guys lost the election we get to put all these really great, authoritarian dictates in the bill. I bet there is something in there about censoring the bad news too. Of course… nothing to see here Fire assures us that we’ll be fine as soon as they remove the bad part of our brains. The part that allows for objective reasoning.

• Roy

Participant

JBear, I didn’t even comment on the breathalyzer part, and by the way you didn’t comment on the safety device. But having a drivers license is a privilege that can be lost if misused. If you are a drunk driver you can lose your license. Putting in a breathalyzer is not being more restrictive than losing your license is it?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Roy.

• jbear

Participant

JBear, I didn’t even comment on the breathalyzer part, and by the way you didn’t comment on the safety device. But having a drivers license is a privilege that can be lost if misused. If you are a drunk driver you can lose your license. Putting in a breathalyzer is not being more restrictive than losing your license is it?

Of course I agree that drunk driving is bad. I just don’t think having my car test me to start it represents me living in a free society.

• Roy

Participant

Of course I agree that drunk driving is bad. I just don’t think having my car test me to start it represents me living in a free society.

I would agree if the device is for all drivers, but not if its for those who have been convicted of drunk driving. I’m not sure which it is.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I would agree if the device is for all drivers, but not if its for those who have been convicted of drunk driving. I’m not sure which it is.

It’s supposed to be for all new cars, I believe.

Also, Roads and Bridges, bitches:

• jbear

Participant

Well that is really two different things isn’t it. I was assuming that when you said that new cars would be required to have technology to detect drunk drivers there would be some requirement that it be turned on.

Your right of course… Supposedly all I have to do is pull one of these fuses under my steering wheel and I should be able to finally turn off that annoying assed seat belt warning when I dare to start the car without putting it on. Thanks for pointing this out.

• Roy

Participant

JBear, I guess your only hope if you are a Libertarian is to pack up and get off the grid. Move to a cabin in the woods and hunt and fish. Hmm. Well unfortunately the dude that did that got arrested because he refused to move off of a guy’s private property! So if you want to go off the grid you will have to do in on GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. Once again relying on the government to support you.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Regulations are evil.

Unless we are regulating a uterus.

Then they are great

• spartan

Participant

As noble as this may be, anyone care to explain to me what part of infrastructure this relates to?

• spartan

Participant

Still going over bits of this, but my take on this so far is there is a whole lot of spending and not a whole lot of infrastructure.

• jbear

Participant

The neverending let down continues.

Yesterday, Biden unveiled his EV plan in which he plans to ask automakers to ensure that half of all vehicles are EV’s by the end of the decade. Many people have been excited about this push to electrify and it’s clear that the administration is leaning heavily on American companies to innovate and be creative. So of course, he only invited the three largest employers of UAW members to the summit.

So innovation is Biden’s America…. GM, Ford and Chrysler…. because they have unions…. again this represents innovation in Biden’s America. Hundred year old business killing unions.

Including them is one thing but to exclude the actual innovators! Blasphemous.

Where was Tesla you ask? It seems that Elon has had some issues getting along with the unions so… What about some of the upstart innovators? Nowhere to be seen. GM, Ford and Chrysler.

We’re screwed.

• RK Barrett

Participant

|

Where did you read about groups getting excluded?

• RK Barrett

Participant

I see it now. UAW event.

Press Sec said this is just one event. Guess we still see. Can’t exclude Tesla from EV initiatives

• jbear

Participant

I see it now. UAW event.

Press Sec said this is just one event. Guess we still see. Can’t exclude Tesla from EV initiatives

We agree on something? Wow, Joe is in trouble.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

They will hold another and include Tesla, Fisker, Lucid… etc.

Those are the 3 top Dawgs in my mind.

Problem is Nikola and Lordstown have given the EV competitors to Tesla a black eye and thus, shaken investor confidence.

I’m 700 shares deep in Fisker so I have a bias… will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Biden pumping for the top Dawgs was expected but also tone deaf.

He will need to focus on the upcoming EV only companies or his message will be lost.

• RK Barrett

Participant

Pretty fascinating actually because he did this meeting at the request of the IAW because they endorsed him. They did so AFTER flirting with Trump on NAFTA

The UAW has long been against EVs because EVs have few parts and many foreign components, so bad for factory workers in the US. But, they realize that is a battle they will lose because EVs are the future, so they endorsed Biden in large part for this type of event

I don’t know how Fisker stands against competitors but the EV stock play is a no brainer

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Tesla has the head start but the stock is over valued

Lucid has the tech and is the true competition to Tesla. Their design is meh but they are high end design and tech. Lucid Air will be selling out. I question their price point but I have a small position.

Fisker is much different. They are outsourcing the factories to Magna. They are brand and design focused like Apple does. Henrik Fisker creates beautiful cars. They are more affordable and have a very attractive lease option. Ocean is 39k before rebate. Solar roof. California mode. Name recognition. I’m a huge fan…

I’m all in on EV and am playing some smaller plays as well. Will keep adding.

Should be interesting to see what Biden does with the EV only startups

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Have a lot of Tesla (probably too much)
      Tesla is often a 4th Q stock. Maybe there is a little wishful thinking in that statement.
      The advantage Tesla has is in battery technology.
      Musk keeps talking about a new battery that would allow him to sell for a bit under $40,000
      and compete with piston driven cars. That would be a problem for all EV competitors.

Have a bit of Lucid. Got it way early, still a SPAC, CCIV, long before it went to 60 and then back down. Lucid has a 1st class factory in Ariz. But more importantly Lucid has Saudi money. The money that the Saudis have already made on their initial investment is breath-taking. First cars will truly be luxury cars but around $140,000. Plan is to sell around $72000 in 1.5 yrs. Head man is an outstanding car manufacturing person. He had complete charge of the Tesla factory when they started the S model. Regarding the design of the “Air” model…I think it just drips money and prestige.

Fisker is hard to predict for me. They have the lowest cost and this is very important. You can make 3 nickels faster than 1 dime. But their range is about half of a Tesla. If Tesla succeeds with their new low cost battery and can sell a model in Fisker’s price range, it could be a problem for Fisker. Also not completely comfortable with an outside builder assembling the car. It has worked in some cases in the past, but if there is a problem on the assembly floor, it sometimes can prove hard to resolve.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• jbear

Participant

They will hold another and include Tesla, Fisker, Lucid… etc.

Those are the 3 top Dawgs in my mind.

Problem is Nikola and Lordstown have given the EV competitors to Tesla a black eye and thus, shaken investor confidence.

I’m 700 shares deep in Fisker so I have a bias… will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

He will need to focus on the upcoming EV only companies or his message will be lost.

Well I’m 11k warrants into canoo they are supposed to be building a factory in Oklahoma but if you’ve seen their vehicles you know that they are cutting edge.

I didn’t expect them to be there but Jesus it was disappointing to see the criteria and who was there.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Just saw a video on Reddit from July 10, 2021,

where a test driver got the Lucid Air up to 235 miles/hr.

From what I could see the ride was smooth at that speed.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I sold most of my lucid at $60 and I also got in cheap when the rumor started around $12 with cciv. Still holding a little but the merger deal wasn’t great. Specifically the $15 PIPE dilution that attracted short sellers.

I think the luxury play is interesting but their market cap doesn’t feel justified just yet for me to add. I think 20-25 is the right price for another year or so but maybe it gets a boost before then so I’m holding small.

Fisker is following the Apple model and I think their model, especially with the shortages, will mean that they don’t dilute with an offering to build their own manufacturing plants but also the marketing and design and name recognition of Fisker gives a sort of cult-like following similar to Elon. The stock is undervalued based on market cap, they’ve hit all milestones, and they have 18k reservations so they are sold out until almost 2023. They have an affordable under 30k model coming out and a pickup. The LA auto show will reveal the finalized specs on the Ocean, which I’ve reserved myself.

I also have IDEX which is a penny stock with lots of potential.

I don’t know much about Canoo but I’ll check em out.

I’m staying away from Workhorse, Hylion, Nikola, Lordstown, and Solo. Don’t care for management or product.

Arrival is an interesting play that I’m considering going into…

Obviously there is some saturation and then you have the big boys like GM and Ford trying to get in late.

Then the giants… Tesla and Nio and to a lesser extent Xpev.

Tesla P/E ratio is insane. And Musk is a loose cannon with this bitcoin crap and doge etc. I have Telsa in my roth 401k but I won’t play them in my brokerage. I find their cars to be Kia-like with brand recognition. I think they will, in 10 years, no longer be the top dawg in EV and will be focusing on Mars etc.

Nio and Xpev I’m not interested in Chinese stocks right now… too much manipulation and having lived there, people are right to be skeptical

• spartan

Participant

What started as a shouting match turned into an interesting conversation. Learned some good stuff here. Thank you.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Even though Tesla is high priced,

if they come with the new battery, it will be cheap.

New battery has a range of 1000 miles and will last for 1 million miles.

Wal Mart has committed for a fleet of trucks. Their idea is to use the truck

for 200,000 miles, and then take the battery out and put it in a new truck.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

The battery is enticing but I think Tesla trades flat for a bit so the P/E can catch up.

Maybe I’m wrong and I haven’t done my due diligence with their battery because Musk annoys the crap out of me…

I’d rather play the higher risk higher reward in my brokerage and the safer plays in my 401k.

That hasn’t been great in 2021 as small cap has gotten hammered but with some cagey selling and buying I’ve managed to be up a little despite the rough go at it for small cap.

Large cap has been killing it and so has my 401k this year which is great… but I still think large cap pulls back here soon and money money back to speculative stocks…

Again could be wrong but here are my positions:

Fisker 700 shares
        Lucid 100 shares
        Idex 1000 shares

Not EV:
        Fubo 100 shares (sports media gambling play)
        Htbx 1000 shares (t cell cancer play)

Then sitting on cash for dips

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Fire:

I think you are doing fine.

I can see that you are getting better, and learning more, as time passes.

As you keep trying you will find what you are comfortable with.

There are many ways of making money in the market, but you have to
      find an approach that fits your personality. Otherwise you make mistakes
      during times of extreme pressure.

I killed it last year with big money. But this year I am only up a bit as of now.
      Was up 18% at the end of Jan, but that is now only a memory.

Last year was growth, especially growth tied to staying home.

This year is more the recovery of stocks that were beaten down by Covid. Value over growth.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Yeah agreed the value stocks have had a nice ride.

I’m quite curious how the market reacts to the infrastructure bill. The portion for EV was pretty lite.

Also thinking the correction may not come until 2023.

But then also the delta variant and any shut downs…

Lots of variables but I like my positions for a bit…

Let’s see how they do this time next year.

Any other plays you currently like?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

@jbear what is the strike price for your warrants with GOEV?

Charts aren’t looking very good. It fell below NAV of $10. I don’t know the history of why other than it was taken down with the rest of the EV stocks.

If it establishes support at $7.90… there is a double bottom… it could be poised for a bull run.

If you’re doing a set and forget then disregard but if you’re wondering where it is going, the volume isn’t good… and it will likely retest the recent support.

It needs a catalyst.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.