Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• dalbuc

Participant

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/03/21/how-the-bucs-got-tom-brady-to-leave-the-new-england-patriots-for-tampa-bay/

The conversation lasted about 90 minutes. Brady did a lot of the talking. In fact, the Bucs had gone in with a detailed plan and under the firm belief that they would have to make an aggressive sales pitch to have any chance of landing the six-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Instead, Brady interviewed Licht and Arians as much as they asked questions of him.

His preparation, as usual, was next level. He knew all about Arians’ offense and was eager to operate it. He could recite, by position, the list of the Bucs’ offensive weapons. He was intrigued by the notion of having two Pro Bowl receivers, Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. He didn’t ask about them as players. He wanted to know, “Are they good guys?’’

…nothing shocking Brady being super prepared.

• Donkey

Participant

Not surprising at all. Brady didn’t go from a 6 round draft pick to the greatest QB of all time by luck. I’ve recently read a lot of tweets from his former teammates and just about all of them were thanking him for showing them how to be a pro and a winner.

• nitey

Participant

Hey Dal, good to see you! I was wondering about you a couple of months back.

• BradyTakeTheWheel

Participant

• Anonymous

Inactive

I do wish Arians would think a little before he speaks. I don’t think anything will happen on the tampering front, but, because it’s Tampa, nothing would shock me.

• leeroybuc93

Participant

If we get punished for cheating against the Patriots I’m going to lose my mind.

• BradyTakeTheWheel

Participant

Amen to that

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hahaha! Right?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tampering is one of Florio’s favorite topics

• Anonymous

Inactive

Florio certainly knows his stuff. May be the smartest media member out there as it relates to the legalities and business side of football.

• Pennywise

Participant

One team that was thought to be a big player for Brady in the weeks leading up to free agency was the Las Vegas Raiders. After all, the club seemed intent on upgrading from Derek Carr and there were plenty of rumors swirling about Jon Gruden’s potential interest in Brady. But, no marriage was made and the Raiders didn’t even make a formal offer in hopes of landing TB12. As Vic Tafur of The Athletic reports, however, Vegas was looking pretty hard into Brady. Part of the reason why they never went all-in in their pursuit was because of the soon-to-be 43-year-old’s price tag and what they evaluated to be a decline in his production over the past couple of years.

“The Raiders were indeed sniffing around Brady as late as this week,” Tafur writes. “And while it is true they never made him an offer, some ballpark numbers were made known to him at some point. The Raiders weren’t going to go as high as the guaranteed $25 million per year for two years that the Bucs gave the 42-year-old quarterback – the game film the last two years just didn’t warrant that in the Raiders’ minds.”

Per CBS sports

• dalbuc

Participant

Of course Gruden wanted an old player, the shocking thing is he didnt want to overpay for an old player. I guess hes gotten better about that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whatever Florio. He regularly gets owned on twitter.

Florio certainly knows his stuff. May be the smartest media member out there as it relates to the legalities and business side of football.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mayock is smarter about that than Gruden is.

Of course Gruden wanted an old player, the shocking thing is he didnt want to overpay for an old player. I guess hes gotten better about that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Florio certainly knows his stuff. May be the smartest media member out there as it relates to the legalities and business side of football.”

Florio is a lawyer, a former employment lawyer. No doubt he is bright, but this is also his “poke the bear” topi because there’s a rule and then there is the reality that this is a very small working community, with overlap between all involved. Brady’s agent knows Licht and Arians very well, probably speaks with the former repeatedly. I mean, I think Yee reps both Brady and Garoppolo, or did at one time, even though you could argue they had competing interest

anyway, that’s why Florio likes the subject. Here’s the Texans coach carefully qualifying his comments after the Patriots alleged they tampered in getting a player guy: “Asked Tuesday whether Easterby made any contact with Caserio before Gaine was fired, Texans coach Bill O’Brien said, “I would say that the answer to that is no, relative to contact about anything having to do with the Houston Texans. No.”

in other words, of course they talked, but just not about the Texans :-)

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

SO glad that Brady chose the Bucs! I haven’t heard the Bucs be the topic of so many conversations and polls on radio and TV since the Super Bowl days. Brady’s effect on this team cannot be overstated. He’s brought a relevance to Tampa not seen in more than 15 years I think. Just today on a poll on The Rich Eisen Show, it was which non-playoff team from last year has the best chance to make a Super Bowl run, choices were Bucs, Rams and Cowboys. Host said besides the obvious answer of the Bucs, what do you think of the other two? Just let that sink in! Not saying it’s Super Bowl or bust for the Bucs, but it sure is great to be involved in these conversations!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.