Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• Mic

Participant

Since we’re seeing a need to draft another OG. Unfortunate to have a second year third rounder not in the conversation to be a starter on this line.

Please wait…

• Ramonb

Participant

I am very happy with the hire of Arians, and I’m not yet sure what Cappa’s future holds.  However, the main issue here is with Licht’s ability to evaluate and pick good players.  He has had some success in the past, but mostly with picks that my grandmother could have made…i’ll also give him credit for Marpet and Godwin.  Aside from that he’s been downright horrible, every year this board is littered with predraft mock drafts, and I would rather have any number of posters here make the selections instead, and I’m not even talking about the most hardcore posters, but even most of the casuals.  His 2nd and 3rd rounds have been nauseating, and even his main stream “successes” are suspect (I’m looking at you J. Evans, Kwon, D. Smith, etc).  Lets not even mention FA misses.

Please wait…

• Buc on the Move

Participant

Yeah a 2nd year 3rd rd. OL should be at least in the conversation.  Haven’t really heard any positive chirping for the kid since practices started last year.

Please wait…

• nybuccguy

Participant

He was switching positions and coming from a small school. It was foolish to think hed be anything year one. Marpets transition made the expectations for Cappa unreasonable. Cappa still has a shot, hopefully BA consider him at right tackle though.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Since we’re seeing a need to draft another OG. Unfortunate to have a second year third rounder not in the conversation to be a starter on this line.

He’s in the conversation.  You just put him there.

Please wait…

• Gareth

Participant

He was physically overmatched last year. He needs a sandwich and a dumbbell. I will reserve judgment until after a full off season in an nfl training program.

Please wait…

• buc_boi

Participant

It’s only a wasted pick when the coaching staff that wanted to develop the young man gets canned.

Please wait…

• acacius

Participant

It’s only a wasted pick when the coaching staff that wanted to develop the young man gets canned.

You mean the same coaching staff that kept playing Caleb Freaking Benenoch over him?

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

True but the GM who drafted him is still there so that’s something.  If he can show the ability to be a weekly contributor then he will stick around.  If not they won’t hesitate to cut him.  They aren’t going to keep him hanging around on the inactive list every week again.   That goes for Ronald Jones as well.  I’ll go out on a limb and say Cappa will make the 53 man roster because he will do enough to earn backup duty.  They still will have to get a couple more O-linemen.

This is an example of how the team is not a well oiled machine.   Its true that the GM has to think long term and not just draft to bail out a sinking coach.  But still, if you draft a guy in the 3rd round who is a project, the expectation should be that he has a higher ceiling than the guy who is more ready to play.  You talk to the coach and say “Dude if I draft this guy do you have the desire and human resources to spend a lot of time coaching this guy up, because right now he’s raw and it may take a couple years.  Because if we aren’t going to do that we should draft someone who is more ready to play.”

Please wait…

• buc_boi

Participant

You mean the same coaching staff that kept playing Caleb Freaking Benenoch over him?

Which ever coaching staff that had the leagues most feared passing attack, yea.

Please wait…

• acacius

Participant

Wait, you’ve been talking about New England this whole time?

Seriously though, where’s your evidence that the old coaching staff was particularly invested in developing Cappa or that the new coaching staff will be less invested in it?

Please wait…

• ufcguy32

Participant

Maybe this team can put him where he played in college. What a novel concept….this cross training shit is getting out of hand. This is exactly why this line besides coaching stunk. Guys out of position all the time bc of their love affair with flexible play….how about this …you go find a bad ass and put him on that line and let him play where he plays.  Simple right….overthinking and being too cute constantly ruined this team year over year  Ryan Smith….as bad as he is we do the same shit with him and set him back years. That and mike Smith is terrible. I truly think all this team needs to be at least 500 is better coaches and scheme . If u add talent it’s a 9 or 10 win team and playoff contender.

Please wait…

• freddy

Participant

Actually our problem may be at LG not RG. They moved Marpet from RG to LG, I guess because GotBeatAlot was even worse as a LG. I liked Marpet’s play at RG more then this at year at LG.  I think BA should have a nice chat with Ali and ask him where he is most comfortable and where he thinks he plays best. Then fix the position left over.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

A project player is not what you would use your third round pick on.   Your second and third rounders should be able to contribute from day one although not necessarily make an impact.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Stop blaming Reid.

He has nothing to do with this.

Please wait…

• buc_boi

Participant

Damn you, Reid!!!

Please wait…

• BP1

Participant

Just for argument, does anyone know how the next 10 drafted players after his pick did last season?

Please wait…

• chXmcd

Participant

Just for argument, does anyone know how the next 10 drafted players after his pick did last season?

if you look at the vast majority of picks after cappa none of them have made a huge name for themselves. lets all give these guys some time to get caught to speed.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

if you look at the vast majority of picks after cappa none of them have made a huge name for themselves. lets all give these guys some time to get caught to speed.

That and a whole new coaching staff. Time to reevaluate everyone.

Please wait…

• Knucknbuc

Participant

eh idk if hes a wasted pick to be hinest he wasnt in enough to even say he was or not. granted caleb benonoch was horrible so you would have to think if he was even competent he would of played. but i digress. im hoping with this new staff they dont tinker with ppl as much like someone said earlier. cappa is 6’8  why the fuck is he at guard and not tackle? oh ali you played rg one year how bout you just play center and left guard? same shit right? oh justin evans youve been a safety but your pretty fast lets try ypu at nickelback we have some injuries. ryan smith your a safety…oh shit nvm your a corner. wtf find a position and stick with the shit.

Please wait…

• Ramonb

Participant

Very good points on the player “flexibility” thing.  While its a nice thing to have players that can play multiple positions in a crunch, the management has put way to much emphasis on this.  We end up having to many jack of all trades master of none scenarios.  I’m with the posters who support drafting a player to be a stud at a given position, and then playing him there as opposed to experimenting with players outside of their natural position.

Please wait…

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I am very happy with the hire of Arians, and I’m not yet sure what Cappa’s future holds.  However, the main issue here is with Licht’s ability to evaluate and pick good players.  He has had some success in the past, but mostly with picks that my grandmother could have made…i’ll also give him credit for Marpet and Godwin.  Aside from that he’s been downright horrible, every year this board is littered with predraft mock drafts, and I would rather have any number of posters here make the selections instead, and I’m not even talking about the most hardcore posters, but even most of the casuals.  His 2nd and 3rd rounds have been nauseating, and even his main stream “successes” are suspect (I’m looking at you J. Evans, Kwon, D. Smith, etc).  Lets not even mention FA misses.

not sure i agree entirely with all your points… yes, Licht has a big say if the draft and FA but lets not act as if DK and Lovie didnt have a say at all.. What ill never understand is how can we put the blame solely on the GM but if this year we happen to hit on the draft and/or FA most here would say its all cuz of BA.. imo that’s not fair to Licht..

Please wait…

• Ramonb

Participant

That’s a fair argument.  I guess we really don’t know how involved Koetter or Lovie were in the draft process, but the assumption is that the GM plays the biggest role in talent acquisition, and to that end, the Bucs, whether due to Licht or the previous coaches, have done a terrible terrible job.

Please wait…

• flichter

Participant

Everyone likes to blame Licht for drafting lackluster players… how about some blame for the coaching that failed to develop them?  A lot of our picks were productive in college, I don’t believe their talent and ability suddenly disappeared once they fly into TIA lol

I’m really intrigued to see if some of the guys labeled “bust” by fans don’t turn it around now that it sounds like we’ve got a legitimate staff. Actually developing younger guys and putting them in a spot that utilizes their strengths, instead of exposing weaknesses isn’t something we’ve had in Tampa for awhile for the most part.

Please wait…

• flichter

Participant

For the people saying he’s physically over-matched and needs to eat a sandwich… He’s 6’6 and listed at 305… he’s not exactly small for his height lol. The Patriots Oline are all between 300-315, except for Marcus Cannon at 325. Maybe gain 5-10 lbs, but preferably he just turns what he already has into upped strength.

Everyone likes to blame Licht for drafting lackluster players… how about some blame for the coaching that failed to develop them?  A lot of our picks were productive in college, I don’t believe their talent and ability suddenly disappeared once they fly into TIA lol

I’m really intrigued to see if some of the guys labeled “bust” by fans don’t turn it around now that it sounds like we’ve got a legitimate staff. Actually developing younger guys and putting them in a spot that utilizes their strengths, instead of exposing weaknesses isn’t something we’ve had in Tampa for awhile for the most part.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

Cappa was always a projection.  Let’s see how he does this coming season.

Every player that gets drafted doesn’t have to be a Pro Bowler right away for them to be a successful pick.  Expectations around here are ridiculous.  Patience.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

I don’t know, but as for Ronald Jones, I was looking at the RB production and none of the Day 2 and beyond guys did very well.  Kerryon Johnson would have been a better pick obviously, but he only got 641 yards.  Guice would have been good if he didn’t spend the whole season on IR.

But it shows that Licht was in a tough spot.   On the one hand you don’t want to reach, and high 2nd round pick is critically important to use wisely.  But on the other hand if you don’t use a Round 2 pick on a RB you have nothing after that.  So he would have no running back in an off-season when getting a running back is one of the highest priorities no disrespect to Barber.  So obviously in hind sight he saw the Ronald Jones mirage and went and drank the sand.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.