Is McCown the next Rich Gannon?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    FLBoy84
    Participant

If you recall, Rich Gannon was mostly a career backup, backing up Steve Bono in KC before he went to Oakland and took off under Gruden and Co. at age 34 (check out his Wiki page if you’re too young to remember). Not saying McCown is the next Gannon, just something to think about. Maybe the switched HAS flipped for McCown and he and Tedford/Arroyo click.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

tumblr_static_url-2.gif

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Or Kurt Warner?  Lovie actually brought McCown back into the NFL 3 years ago to be a b/u. He’d been coaching High School football; said he really studied the game more closely than before in order to teach it. That was all in one of today’s PCs…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Difference is Gannon was actually a good QB when he played McCown other than a few games wasn’t. Again, he's a fill in stop gap spare of a QB. Think Chad Henne and accept that reality and the upcoming season will be a lot less frustrating.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Difference is Gannon was actually a good QB when he played McCown other than a few games wasn't. Again, he's a fill in stop gap spare of a QB. Think Chad Henne and accept that reality and the upcoming season will be a lot less frustrating.

Hard to accept that "reality" when you're projecting the future, wish I had your ability. Don't think anyone saw Gannon (himself included) going from backup to four-time Pro-Bowler, three All-Pros and 2002 League MVP after the age of 34. Not saying McCown will replicate that by any means, but to say he can't is ignoring the possibility. Gannon was a career backup for the most part as well.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Finding some GOOD receivers in FA or the draft will have a lot to do with how good we do in the pass game this season, whether it’s McCown, Glennon, or whoever…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

no

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought about posting about Josh McCown as compared to Rich Gannon and Steve Beurlein comes to mind to me as well. Well, I remember seeing Steve Beurlein I guess in pre-season because he played with a nervous back foot; he then went on season ending I.R. I obviously didn’t see enough, because the next season, Steve did pretty well, winning games and putting up almost four hundred yards in some games.  He was then traded to Dallas and sat behind Troy Aikman, and I’m not going to describe the rest of his history.  What I just learned lessons my own comparison.  Josh McCown doesn’t look like he played nearly as well when he first came out. The comparison to Rich Gannon is better in some ways.I'd hate to say that Josh is as fast as Rich Gannon; but, from what I found on youtube just now, Josh is surprisingly fast . . . definitely faster than Mike Glennon.  Gannon was a legit 4.4 guy at two hundred and tweny pounds.  Josh's arm is definitely stronger than Gannon's, but Gannon has this great accurate and quirky arm; he has a quirky arm that can thrown in all kinds of different angles.  Some quarterbacks have tried to emulate him, but those were more forced efforts. So, Gannon brought a little more to the table than meets the eye.  It just took someone's faith in him to excess(not to mention Tim Brown mostly; he later had Jerry Rice as well . . . Bucs fans should know this). I think we'll be happy with Josh McCown.  The question is can the Bucs brass find a youngster to develop while Josh is enjoying his later career?I'm tempted to say now that I've gotten to write all this down and check out Josh's youtube highlights, that Glennon will probably have a hard time beating him out.  In fact, Josh has the potential to end his career Rich Gannon like. Glennon still has some good qualities, probably a stronger arm than Josh, but just edging him out there.  We've already seen what he can do with his brain; he easily out performed Josh Freeman there.  Maybe Freeman was more lazy than we all know though?With the way Lovie Smith wants an athletic quarterback with Glennon's other skills, Glennon might have a hard time sticking here after his first contract is up.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Difference is Gannon was actually a good QB when he played McCown other than a few games wasn't.Again, he's a fill in stop gap spare of a QB. Think Chad Henne and accept that reality and the upcoming season will be a lot less frustrating.

When exactly was McCown bad?Was it in 2004 (10 years ago) when he went 6-7 as a starter with 4 4th quarter comebacks? On a team that only won 4 games the year before?Or was it in 2007 (7 years ago) when he was 2-7 as a starter on a team that won a grand total of 2 games the year before? He has always had potential but didnt get a legit chance to play on a decent team until last year and was one of the highest rated QBs in the NFL. A lot of BS being thrown against the wall right now......from posters who should know better.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Difference is Gannon was actually a good QB when he played McCown other than a few games wasn't.Again, he's a fill in stop gap spare of a QB. Think Chad Henne and accept that reality and the upcoming season will be a lot less frustrating.

When exactly was McCown bad?Was it in 2004 (10 years ago) when he went 6-7 as a starter with 4 4th quarter comebacks? On a team that only won 4 games the year before?Or was it in 2007 (7 years ago) when he was 2-7 as a starter on a team that won a grand total of 2 games the year before? He has always had potential but didnt get a legit chance to play on a decent team until last year and was one of the highest rated QBs in the NFL. A lot of BS being thrown against the wall right now......from posters who should know better.

Until last year he had a career winning% below .500 and threw more career INTs than TDs. He probably still has a higher career turnover count than TD count but hey, let's ignore history because Lovie has such a great QB record, right?McCown blows

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Jesus christ eating a sandwich Gmac, have you posted ANYTHING positive since FA? You’ve been horrid!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Stephen J Poplawski
    Participant

McCown is a career journeyman backup who was out of football and coaching high school.  He had a good 5 game stretch against sub par defenses playing in a friendly QB system with 2 Pro Bowl WR, Pro Bowl RB, and only managed to go 3-2.  Other than that he still blows chunks and has fleeced the Buccos for $10 million.  He’s a downgrade from Glennon.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If he did good with the bears cast, he’ll do good with our O as long as Tedfords scheme fits him

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Need at least one more good wideout. Then let’s talk.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

agree, needs to be surrounded with better talent. We don’t exactly have Jerry Rice and Tim Brown

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.