Is McCown the next Rich Gannon?

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Trouble is, we cannot hang our hat with him at qb.Even IF he is a baller..what then? You got two years, good luck?

At his age, everyone is aware he isn't the long term answer. Maybe win some while grooming a young guy is exactly why he is here and exactly something he would love to do.

I agree.Because what were the other options?Everyone is screaming about his age, so to all of the detractors here give us the name of the young up and coming QB we could have signed? ???McCown gives us the best chance to win now. Isnt that the whole idea? I would rather win some games until we find our franchise QB. Thank God the only people who matter agree with me.

Did you see my posts about strength of defense in the NFC south VS. NFC North? The worst defense he'll face in the NFC South in still better than the best one he faces in the NFC North, passing defense i'm talking.You can't be more objective. Honestly, the passing defense he faced were piss poor as a whole. But I guess how good the opposing team is has little to do with success. I mean he was on **CENSORED** teams so of course he sucked before right? Glennon was on a **CENSORED** team this year and played against much stiffer competition and did better than McCown in every year of his sorry career. I guess you could be right should. I mean i guess he could have gotten like 60% better from year 11 to 12. That happens all the time right? After 14 games you're sure you know what Glennon is and isn't but it apparently takes 11 years for McCown? Why don't you go back through and read the whole thread. I'm sure you won't so i'll summerize. You should expect a lot less from McCown than his 109 passer rating he had last year, a lot less. Thus it should be an open QB competition.

L & L have watched Glennon - and they have watched McCown - they have decided they need protection from having to play Glennon.  Anticipate another qb in the draft - perhaps someone to groom.  They have decided.  You want witch about it in every post you put on the boards - or you can break the streak.  This doesn't mean Glennon can't break through and work his way to the top - but they have decided to protect the position with McCown until his replacement - whomever that might be - surfaces and shows he can take the position from McCown.  AND - no one should be surprised if the bucs follow up by drafting another candidate....

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure that a guy with McCowns resume says “win now”.  I mean functionally you have Chad Henne…not sure that is a win now guy for JAX either.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure that a guy with McCowns resume says "win now".  I mean functionally you have Chad Henne...not sure that is a win now guy for JAX either.

Thank you. People act like we just brought in Jeff Garcia or Alex Smith.This is Josh McCown we're talking about.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJhGgnM28QoHaters gonna hate.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Trouble is, we cannot hang our hat with him at qb.Even IF he is a baller..what then? You got two years, good luck?

At his age, everyone is aware he isn't the long term answer. Maybe win some while grooming a young guy is exactly why he is here and exactly something he would love to do.

I agree.Because what were the other options?Everyone is screaming about his age, so to all of the detractors here give us the name of the young up and coming QB we could have signed? ???McCown gives us the best chance to win now. Isnt that the whole idea? I would rather win some games until we find our franchise QB. Thank God the only people who matter agree with me.

Did you see my posts about strength of defense in the NFC south VS. NFC North? The worst defense he'll face in the NFC South in still better than the best one he faces in the NFC North, passing defense i'm talking.You can't be more objective. Honestly, the passing defense he faced were piss poor as a whole. But I guess how good the opposing team is has little to do with success. I mean he was on **CENSORED** teams so of course he sucked before right? Glennon was on a **CENSORED** team this year and played against much stiffer competition and did better than McCown in every year of his sorry career.I guess you could be right should. I mean i guess he could have gotten like 60% better from year 11 to 12. That happens all the time right? After 14 games you're sure you know what Glennon is and isn't but it apparently takes 11 years for McCown? Why don't you go back through and read the whole thread. I'm sure you won't so i'll summerize. You should expect a lot less from McCown than his 109 passer rating he had last year, a lot less. Thus it should be an open QB competition.

Oh Glennon did better than McCown last year? BS he did. McCown was better than Glennon in every single category.You are asking me to read this garbage again? Where you throw out McCowns 2013 stats and point to the two opportunoties he got years ago on a 2 win team the year before and a 4 win team the year before? Those were the majority of his career stats. I guess he automatically sucks in your book because he wasnt given any other opportunities?I dont really understand how McCown could outplay Glennon by such a huge disparity last year and not be seen as the best option we have right now. Have you seen how skinny Glennon is? NFL QB? Give it up. Your boy Schiano is gone and Glennon is next on the list.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Did you see my posts about strength of defense in the NFC south VS. NFC North? The worst defense he'll face in the NFC South in still better than the best one he faces in the NFC North, passing defense i'm talking.You can't be more objective. Honestly, the passing defense he faced were piss poor as a whole. But I guess how good the opposing team is has little to do with success. I mean he was on **CENSORED** teams so of course he sucked before right? Glennon was on a **CENSORED** team this year and played against much stiffer competition and did better than McCown in every year of his sorry career.I guess you could be right should. I mean i guess he could have gotten like 60% better from year 11 to 12. That happens all the time right? After 14 games you're sure you know what Glennon is and isn't but it apparently takes 11 years for McCown? Why don't you go back through and read the whole thread. I'm sure you won't so i'll summerize. You should expect a lot less from McCown than his 109 passer rating he had last year, a lot less. Thus it should be an open QB competition.

I dont really understand how McCown could outplay Glennon by such a huge disparity last year and not be seen as the best option we have right now.

Average rank of passing defense faced by McCown: 24Average faced by Tampa Bay Bucs: 13McCown's during those 8 games: 109.0 passer rating, 66% completion, 8.17 Y/A, 13 TD, 1 INTGlennon's passer rating against similar defense (6 games): 96.4 passer rating, 64% completion, 7.5 Y/A, 9 TD, 3 INTStill can't understand? McCown played against terrible pass defense, and I mean really bad. Those 6 games were against teams in the bottom half, which still isn't as bad as what McCown played against. So I'll again re-iterate. In the 8 games McCown posted those amazing numbers, average ranking of opposing pass defense is 24th!!! In those 6 games that Glennon played, his average was 22nd!!!My arguement is that McCown is a whole lot more what his first 11 years suggest, not his last 8 games suggest. Quality of your opponent does matter and Glennon faced some really tough defenses last year. I want an open competition because we know what a rookie Mike Glennon will give you against our level of pass defense. If Josh wins the spot, i'll support him, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that he'll post numbers anywhere near that 109 rating against our schedule. Here are what any QB is facingSaints twice (#2 pass defense)Panthers twice (#6)Cincinnati (#5)St. Louis (19th)Atlanta twice (21st)Cleveland (8th)Pittsburgh (9th)Washington (20th)Baltimore (12th)Luckily we also face the NFC NorthGreenbay (24th)Minnesota (31st)Chicago (15th)Detroit (23rd)We'll face 6 teams next year ranked in the top 10 in pass defense. McCown didn't face one during his 8 game run. In fact he only faced one team that was even ranked in the top half of the league, Baltimore at 12th. So facing really bad pass defense, with two monsters at WR and a better than average TE and RB equals a passer rating about 40 points higher than his career.  I'll go further, not that I really need to. Again, his opponents average pass defense ranking was 24th last year. If he starts, it'll be 14 this year, thanks in part to us playing his former horrible division. Again, Josh may in fact be the starter, don't bet the over on his passer rating this year.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed. Not sure what there is to gain by starting McCown.

Not losing as many games while you look for and/or groom your QB of the future.

So maybe one or two more victories. Got it.

I think this is exactly it.  Glazers and the FO are definitely in "win now" mode.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Win now vs build. Who knows. What I do know is we face tough pass defenses and our weak spot is looking like QB which does not bode well for us winning many divisional games this year. Even if we draft a rookie who wins the starting job, he’s still a rookie and make the same set of rookie mistakes Glennon did.I'll say it for the 2nd year straight, we'll be as good as our QB in 2014.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Polian raved about McCown. “I think he can still make all the throws and he doesn’t have a lot of mileage on him,” Polian said of McCown. “Second of all, he is very bright, very resourceful and is a great competitor. I happen to be friends with Chris Palmer who coached him in the UFL. Chris coached Eli Manning among other great quarterbacks in his long career. And he said that Josh McCown has everything you would want in a quarterback and the best thing about him is that he is not a swashbuckler. He realizes at this stage of his career he should make the high-percentage throw, that he shouldn’t turn the ball over, that you can win games by playing good, solid, sound football and not try to hit the big play all the time. “And I think that with the running attack that the Bucs have, with the people they have to run the ball — there is a stable of them — I think they will have a good, solid attack and Josh will do just what he did in Chicago.”

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Polian raved about McCown. “I think he can still make all the throws and he doesn’t have a lot of mileage on him,” Polian said of McCown. “Second of all, he is very bright, very resourceful and is a great competitor. I happen to be friends with Chris Palmer who coached him in the UFL. Chris coached Eli Manning among other great quarterbacks in his long career. And he said that Josh McCown has everything you would want in a quarterback and the best thing about him is that he is not a swashbuckler. He realizes at this stage of his career he should make the high-percentage throw, that he shouldn’t turn the ball over, that you can win games by playing good, solid, sound football and not try to hit the big play all the time. “And I think that with the running attack that the Bucs have, with the people they have to run the ball — there is a stable of them — I think they will have a good, solid attack and Josh will do just what he did in Chicago.”

Boom !!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I dont really understand how McCown could outplay Glennon by such a huge disparity last year and not be seen as the best option we have right now.

Average rank of passing defense faced by McCown: 24Average faced by Tampa Bay Bucs: 13McCown's during those 8 games: 109.0 passer rating, 66% completion, 8.17 Y/A, 13 TD, 1 INTGlennon's passer rating against similar defense (6 games): 96.4 passer rating, 64% completion, 7.5 Y/A, 9 TD, 3 INTStill can't understand? McCown played against terrible pass defense, and I mean really bad. Those 6 games were against teams in the bottom half, which still isn't as bad as what McCown played against. So I'll again re-iterate. In the 8 games McCown posted those amazing numbers, average ranking of opposing pass defense is 24th!!! In those 6 games that Glennon played, his average was 22nd!!!My arguement is that McCown is a whole lot more what his first 11 years suggest, not his last 8 games suggest. Quality of your opponent does matter and Glennon faced some really tough defenses last year. I want an open competition because we know what a rookie Mike Glennon will give you against our level of pass defense. If Josh wins the spot, i'll support him, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that he'll post numbers anywhere near that 109 rating against our schedule. Here are what any QB is facingSaints twice (#2 pass defense)Panthers twice (#6)Cincinnati (#5)St. Louis (19th)Atlanta twice (21st)Cleveland (8th)Pittsburgh (9th)Washington (20th)Baltimore (12th)Luckily we also face the NFC NorthGreenbay (24th)Minnesota (31st)Chicago (15th)Detroit (23rd)We'll face 6 teams next year ranked in the top 10 in pass defense. McCown didn't face one during his 8 game run. In fact he only faced one team that was even ranked in the top half of the league, Baltimore at 12th. So facing really bad pass defense, with two monsters at WR and a better than average TE and RB equals a passer rating about 40 points higher than his career.  I'll go further, not that I really need to. Again, his opponents average pass defense ranking was 24th last year. If he starts, it'll be 14 this year, thanks in part to us playing his former horrible division. Again, Josh may in fact be the starter, don't bet the over on his passer rating this year.

What metric are you using? Yards per game? The Cardinals were the 14th ranked pass defense and gave up 233 ypg.The Packers were the 24th rated and have up 247 ypg.That is a difference of 14 ypg........one dropped pass. Or one pass deflected. You are right Josh McCown is probably shaking in his boots right now as we speak. We are all doomed!!!!I surrender, you win the argument.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJhGgnM28QoHaters gonna hate.

But he's an old journeyman QB so that year doesn't [email protected][email protected]!#[email protected]#$##%$#%@#$(/sarcasm

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.