Friday, May 24, 2019
Shop the newest Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan gear at Fanatics!

Is Winston worth 5 years 150 million?

This topic contains 102 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  tog May. 20, 2019 at 4:17 pm.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Havok904
    Participant

Bootz2004
    Havok904 wrote:
    FIRST QUESTION.

WERE DID THE $150,000,000 NUMBER COME FROM?

5 year deal, $30mil APY. $30mil is about the average rate for new QB contracts.
    —-
    If he’s bad, I doubt he will see that.
    About $65 mill total.

+1
    Rating: -2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

Bootz2004

Havok904 wrote:

FIRST QUESTION.

WERE DID THE $150,000,000 NUMBER COME FROM?

5 year deal, $30mil APY. $30mil is about the average rate for new QB contracts.

—-

If he’s bad, I doubt he will see that.

About $65 mill total.

If he’s “bad” it’ll be the 1st time. Jameis Winston has never been bad. Bad is Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, Blake Bortles. If he got a deal for $65mil total it would be over 2 years.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

The headline sounds scarier than it actually is. If the Bucs continue to structure contracts like they have done in the past, it’s essentially a two year prove it deal with a heavily front loaded contract. If Winston doesn’t work out, he can be cut with minimal dead money.

“With Winston, the Bucs will likely have to guarantee two years, although those figures will again be voidable in case of off-field incidents. He’ll likely get a large upfront roster bonus of $15 million or so to go with an $8 million base salary in 2020, then a $26 million base salary with a $7 million roster bonus for the 2021 season. The Bucs would be able to move on from Winston without any dead money at that point if the former top selection doesn’t live up to expectations on the field.”

There has always been a major flaw with the Bucs structure of their contracts. It doesn’t allow for much of a muddle class. A few large deals with huge base salaries and cap hits, players on their rookie deals and that’s it. Depth has been a big problem here as a result. Nothing left to sign quality depth players or keep them. If the best thing you can say after signing a player to a deal is “We can get out of it easily with no dead cap in a year or 2” then you have deep deep issues as a franchise. That’s not something that should be celebrated but Bucs fans have been conditioned to praise this contract practice. And players don’t care. Come to Tampa, get a huge pay day and then go to a team that might actually make the playoffs on a more secure deal.

+5
    Rating: +4. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Havok904
    Participant

@@Bootz2004

Thanks for the insight.

It never dawn on me how it negatively impacted.

The Bucs are team made of Pros and Schmoes. They can’t afford quality Joe’s, the mid tier guys.

+5
    Rating: +4. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

@@Bootz2004

Thanks for the insight.

It never dawn on me how it negatively impacted.

The Bucs are team made of Pros and Schmoes. They can’t afford quality Joe’s, the mid tier guys.

I read an article from 2013 about how Dominik and Mike Greenberg had structured this team and it made me realize how it really was. We technically would be fine IF injuries didn’t occur but as we all know that’s not realistic. The reason he and Licht for that matter have been so “successful” at finding quality UDFAs is because they rely HEAVILY on them. I think this offseason we’ve spent mostly on those “quality Joe’s” but we are still a ways off from where we need to be to field a complete team.

+4
    Rating: +4. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Do_it_Big_Bucs
    Participant

Accused… ACCUSED of a crime??  Winston loses millions of someone makes un proven allegations against him?    What happened to innocent until proven guilty?   He was never even arrested for his time at FSU and the State attorneys did not bring charges due to the credibility of the accuser.

Im sorry, but a crime must be proven for it to be an actual crime when it comes to this he said she said crap.  I had a friend sit in jail for 90 days on a false allegation.  Lucky for him, she confessed 3 months later when she was caught in a lie, but people can make up anything they want.

+3
    Rating: 0. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Morgan
    Participant

Accused… ACCUSED of a crime?? Winston loses millions of someone makes un proven allegations against him? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? He was never even arrested for his time at FSU and the State attorneys did not bring charges due to the credibility of the accuser.

Im sorry, but a crime must be proven for it to be an actual crime when it comes to this he said she said crap. I had a friend sit in jail for 90 days on a false allegation. Lucky for him, she confessed 3 months later when she was caught in a lie, but people can make up anything they want.

Do you live in the TB area?….Winston was taken off the mural on the side of the stadium last season and he doesn’t get commercials on local TV (car sales, for example). The other stars on the Lightning, Rays are doing commercials. Not Winston. No one wants him representing their products. He’s a liability because of his track record of being a shady thief, groper, etc…..I’m not sure he’ll ever lose that image. Maybe if he moves on to another franchise/city.

+4
    Rating: 0. From 8 votes.
    Please wait...

-------------------------------------------
    Following the Bucs since 1981

tog
    Participant

The Athletic had a piece recently (forget which one) which referenced Winston and how his next deal could be impacted that at least some franchises don’t want to deal with him.

That is, the national writer was implicating he would get less than expected on the FA market (based on his play) because there are at least a few (if not more) teams that have a need for QB but would not sign him.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Do_it_Big_Bucs
    Participant

Accused… ACCUSED of a crime?? Winston loses millions of someone makes un proven allegations against him? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? He was never even arrested for his time at FSU and the State attorneys did not bring charges due to the credibility of the accuser.

Im sorry, but a crime must be proven for it to be an actual crime when it comes to this he said she said crap. I had a friend sit in jail for 90 days on a false allegation. Lucky for him, she confessed 3 months later when she was caught in a lie, but people can make up anything they want.

Do you live in the TB area?….Winston was taken off the mural on the side of the stadium last season and he doesn’t get commercials on local TV (car sales, for example). The other stars on the Lightning, Rays are doing commercials. Not Winston. No one wants him representing their products. He’s a liability because of his track record of being a shady thief, groper, etc…..I’m not sure he’ll ever lose that image. Maybe if he moves on to another franchise/city.

I have lived in Tampa and Tallahassee.  Well aware of the mural removal.   Also, well aware that he never stole crab legs from Publix.  He was told by the manager specifically he could have have them, as well as birthday cake the week before for free.  He didn’t just walk into a Tallahassee Publix and “steel” crab legs.   He was told he could have them.   He admitted this on live TV as well as several players told me this as well.  And he wasn’t alone.  Scores of players for years have done that there including FA&M players.

Winston has gotten a bad wrap for sure. Some his fault, others for witch hunts.  Don’t let his character assasination by the media troll you into thinking he is any worse of a human being than you or anyone you know is.

+4
    Rating: +2. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

GameTime
    Participant

Character assasination? Cmon.  Are you runoles infamous son?  The dude has earned his rep.

+5
    Rating: 0. From 10 votes.
    Please wait...

Do_it_Big_Bucs
    Participant

Character assasination? Cmon. Are you runoles infamous son? The dude has earned his rep.

Remember the made up story about Winston point shaving the Louisville game because FSU came back from 21 down?   That false rumor was started by a fictitious blogger named incarserated Bob. Well, the national news media ran with it. It showed up on ESPN and even had Randy Moss talking on TV about the fake story.  Ppl believed it.  It was fake.  Also, they ran with the story about autographs and said he must be selling his signatures because there are several on EBay for sale.  Never mind that he signs autographs for an hour after every baseball game.

The news media camped out in Tallahassee specifically looking for any dirt on the kid for over a year.  All because he was undefeated and on his way to winning the Heisman.

So yea, a media character assasination was done in college on an amateur and immature athlete that no one should be sumbject to at that age

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

buc_boi
    Participant

Lol

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

tog
    Participant

I read an article from 2013 about how Dominik and Mike Greenberg had structured this team and it made me realize how it really was. We technically would be fine IF injuries didn’t occur but as we all know that’s not realistic. The reason he and Licht for that matter have been so “successful” at finding quality UDFAs is because they rely HEAVILY on them. I think this offseason we’ve spent mostly on those “quality Joe’s” but we are still a ways off from where we need to be to field a complete team.

This is an interesting point but why does it prevent the Bucs from having a “strong middle class”. First, the middle class has been hollowed out in the NFL generally (as has been widely reported).

Second, I don’t see how not giving signing bonuses doesn’t prevent the same structure on smaller deals?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.