Currently, there are 0 users and 2 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 84 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Which Buccaneer would you bring Back to the Future?By Sander Philipse Oct 21, 2015 future_zpsmgksfxgr.pngStephen Dunn/Getty ImagesIt's Back to the Future day -- finally, the actual day that Marty McFly went forward in time to in Back to the Future II. Yes, after years of fake Back to the Future days, this is the real one. Great, right?To commemorate that, I'm copying this terrific question from the always outstanding Bucs Brief podcast. Which former Buccaneer would you bring back in his prime to play for today's Bucs?future1_zpshifiwypg.pngMe, I'm going with the late, great Lee Roy Selmon. He remains the most dominant player I've ever seen in a Tampa Bay uniform, even if he suited up before my time. He would destroy offensive tackles play-in, play-out, racking up sacks even while having to play two gaps on every down. From the games from that time I've seen, the closest comparison I've seen in the modern game is J.J. Watt. Yes, Selmon was that good.What about you? Which former Buc would you bring back in his prime?link

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

I’m with you. I saw him play and no one player in our history could make the impact Mr Selmon could.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

#52Eric LeGrande#baller!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

#52Eric LeGrande#baller!!!

I hope you are saying if he could come back to the days before his horrible injury. If not, your post is in bad taste.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm with you. I saw him play and no one player in our history could make the impact Mr Selmon could.

I would love to get the chance to see him play.  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was not around for Leroy, only seen the highlights.  I’d nominate DT Warren Sapp, without the off field stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On this current team? Simeon Rice, Johny Lynch, or Darelle Revis (lol). I hear Leeroy was awesome in his prime but I never got to watch him play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ronde, just what this D needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

James Wilder……BIG back that was a really good runner and had great hands.  Never seemed to get tired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Simeon Rice, nuff said

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LeRoy was the man. Was blessed to see him play.  Dude was almost unblockable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chev,Selmon was the best I've seen in a Bucs uniform.  When he and Hugh Green were on the team together, McKay basically gave them one side of the field to take care of and had the rest of the defense handle the other side. 

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

The real question is: “Would LeRoy still be able to play the same in today’s league like he did back then?” I highly doubt it. That said I’d still take him back just to see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Back to the future: Glazers threaten to relocate Bucs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m leaning toward Simeon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young…..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Alstott. When he ran the ball people lost their minds. Big bruising back, but nimble feet and soft hands. Not to mention we had zero passing game for a large portion of his prime years. Dude was a complete beast.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brad j.Sure, normally average, but top of his game, in playoffs, the guy was money.Kinda joking there though. It would HAVE to be a defender imo. Prob sapp or rice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The first word out of my mouth was Sapp.But after engaging brain for 5 seconds, as awesome as that would be, and he was, I think we need Simeon Rice at this juncture more than Sapp.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

Jon Gruden.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For me, it can’t be any of the 3-4 defenders… not a fit.I'll go with Kevin House.  Today's Bucs need someone who can burn teams deep... in a hurry.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jon Gruden.

Youre right. Gruden IS probably the whitest guy the bucs ever had in rjs...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was not around for Leroy, only seen the highlights.  I'd nominate DT Warren Sapp, without the off field stuff.

Sapp for sure. Sapp beside McCoy would be devastating for opposing offenses. QB's wouldn't have time to burn our DB's.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

Did you guys forget about Gruber?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jon Gruden.

Never though about Gruden but, he'd be a fine choice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On this current team? Rice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp next to Mccoy please.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young.....

I was thinking Sapp or Brooks but now that you mention Young I think you nailed it.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

Steve Young.....

I was thinking Sapp or Brooks but now that you mention Young I think you nailed it.

Only if you had a WCO coach like Gruden to get the most out of him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young.....

Young, without coaching, ..is like the ocean, without the moon.The minute he gets driven up in the delorian by Michael J, his IQ is gonna drop.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think a better question would be which former Buc that is currently playing would you prefer to bring back?It has to be between Michael Bennett & Darrelle Revis.  I'd go with Bennett.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young.....

Young, without coaching, ..is like the ocean, without the moon.The minute he gets driven up in the delorian by Michael J, his IQ is gonna drop.

nonsense

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Have to agree with Selmon, Sapp and Gruber, but would love to see what Winston could do with Jimmy Giles at TE.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

Steve Young.....

nonsense

Fact. Young wouldn't have developed into a HoF'er without going to the niners. If he stayed here he'd have just been on the long list of losers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon and Simeon. Pair them with McCoy and who would need any corners.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp, Simeon, or Hardy

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think a better question would be which former Buc that is currently playing would you prefer to bring back?It has to be between Michael Bennett & Darrelle Revis.  I'd go with Bennett.

Are you sure its not Mark Barron?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chev,Selmon was the best I've seen in a Bucs uniform.  When he and Hugh Green were on the team together, McKay basically gave them one side of the field to take care of and had the rest of the defense handle the other side.

No doubt, lets not forget the Batman who was the leading tackler of that group.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I’m only looking at this year and how we can make the playoffs , I’d say our greatest need is defensive end. Our secondary could probably look adequate  if they had a consistent pass rush . I’d have to go with Leroy over rice. If I went offense, I have to go with Gruber. That would allow us to kick Smith inside and greatly improve our offensive line.  Oddly, based on our desperate need for speed, I would also consider Galloway for straight line speed or Emmanuel as a quick twitch guy in the slot. They were not our best players but might add a new dimension to this offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's a solid point.  I hear that third-stringer is pretty damn good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's a solid point.  I hear that third-stringer is pretty damn good.

Yeah to some on this board he shouldn't be third string.As for previous Bucs still in the league, it would be tough but I would go with Revis. I love me some Revis island.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon hands down.  Anyone who did not watch and appreciate him in his prime was robbed.  the prospect of allowing him to play a 4-3 pass rushing end would thrill me.  Simeon was sensational and dynamic, but not as good as Selmon.  Either would be amazing- a truly special pass rushing force, but Selmon’s mystique and larger than life qualities as a human being easily push him over the top in my opinion.Sapp is Sapp, but that's fine by me.  I don't want to be his neighbor or ask for his autograph, just play ball- something he did as well as anyone.Someone mentioned Gruber and that would be fine with me as a second or third choice.  Write his name in ink as the starter at LT for the next decade or so and protect Winston.It's interesting that no one has mentioned Brooks, despite the downturn of David, or Barber despite the presence of Jennings.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Selmon hands down.  Anyone who did not watch and appreciate him in his prime was robbed.  the prospect of allowing him to play a 4-3 pass rushing end would thrill me.  Simeon was sensational and dynamic, but not as good as Selmon.  Either would be amazing- a truly special pass rushing force, but Selmon's mystique and larger than life qualities as a human being easily push him over the top in my opinion.Sapp is Sapp, but that's fine by me.  I don't want to be his neighbor or ask for his autograph, just play ball- something he did as well as anyone.Someone mentioned Gruber and that would be fine with me as a second or third choice.  Write his name in ink as the starter at LT for the next decade or so and protect Winston.It's interesting that no one has mentioned Brooks, despite the downturn of David, or Barber despite the presence of Jennings./quote]I'm with you on Mr. Selmon and anyone who says otherwise  must have never saw him play. Never has been a more dominant Buc. He dominated as a 3-4 DE. Put him as 4-3 DE and his skills would produce at least 16 sacks per season and dominantly play the run too. The guy truly was unblockable There is a legitimate reason why he was a 1st ballot HOF'er. Yes he was a great player but an even better man. I appreciate all that Sapp, Lynch, Wilder, Allstott, Brooks Rice, and Barber did. But nothing says Buc football like Leroy Selmon and Paul Gruber

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bo Jackson. Sapp is the easy answer. Surprised I haven't seen more Brooks and I'm a huge Ronde fans. Since someone brought up Gruden, gotta give a nod to Monte. Ask for one get five.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Malcolm Glazer

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Late to the party, but Selmon or Rice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's interesting that no one has mentioned Brooks, despite the downturn of David, or Barber despite the presence of Jennings.

The Anti-JavaHall of Famer******Posts: 28216View Profile  Personal Message (Online)Re: It's Back to the Future day--Which former Buc would you bring back in his prime?« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:37:52 AM »Ronde, just what this D needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's interesting that no one has mentioned Brooks, despite the downturn of David, or Barber despite the presence of Jennings.

The Anti-JavaHall of Famer******Posts: 28216View Profile  Personal Message (Online)Re: It's Back to the Future day--Which former Buc would you bring back in his prime?« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:37:52 AM »Ronde, just what this D needs.

My apologies.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

in order of needSimeon RiceWarren SappDerrick BrooksRonde Barber

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bo Jackson.

Bo Jackson? Why so we can watch him play baseball again?I would go with Selmon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp with McCoy would be UNSTOPPABLE!!Who needs edge rushers when you can blow up the pocket?

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

Donnie Abraham in his prime was a better CB than Barber.  But Barber’s prime lasted a lot longer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyone not saying Selmon is just crazy, in my admittedly biased opinion.  He is the best pure football player to ever be a Buccaneer.  He could and did single handily take over games. He was a monster pass rusher and a monster vs the run.  One of the most complete DE to ever play the game.  No disrespect to Sapp or Brooks but Selmon had the greatest impact on this team in its entire history.  And for those saying Rice, Simeon simply is not on the same level as Selmon. Rice would certainly make this team much, much better right now, but not as good as Selmon would make it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyone not saying Selmon is just crazy, in my admittedly biased opinion.  He is the best pure football player to ever be a Buccaneer.  He could and did single handily take over games. He was a monster pass rusher and a monster vs the run.  One of the most complete DE to ever play the game.  No disrespect to Sapp or Brooks but Selmon had the greatest impact on this team in its entire history.  And for those saying Rice, Simeon simply is not on the same level as Selmon. Rice would certainly make this team much, much better right now, but not as good as Selmon would make it.

Which is why I said I would want Selmon and Rice. Just picture them two teamed up with McCoy. The QB would have roughly 1 to 2 seconds of time. It would be ridiculous. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Which is why I said I would want Selmon and Rice. Just picture them two teamed up with McCoy. The QB would have roughly 1 to 2 seconds of time. It would be ridiculous.

OK so if we are gonna do that....D-Line = Slemon, Sapp, McCoy, Rice - that would destroy any team out there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

on this current team?Would have to be Selmon or Simeon as pass rushing end is our biggest weakness.John Lynch would be nice to have on this team too.Steve Young in his prime because who wouldn't want a HOF QB on this team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lee+Roy+Selmon+Hof&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=AC8AB2C40219F81558A3AC8AB2C40219F81558A3I wouldn't want to tarnish Lee Roy's legend with today's rules... and, I'm sure other teams would just wait for Licht to cut him after dangling him as trade bait.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Raheem Morris

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t want to sound sacrilegious, but would Selmon be as dominate today as he was back then? He was great, don’t get me wrong, but wasn’t an offensive lineman back in the 70’s/80’s more like a linebacker today, in the 250 mold? Would he be able to handle/push/avoid 320 lineman just as easily?--in no way am i saying he couldn't, just curious.I would take Rice, more so because he played against the 300+ lineman and excelled. Just a bit easier for me to think he would play at that high level now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't want to sound sacrilegious, but would Selmon be as dominate today as he was back then? He was great, don't get me wrong, but wasn't an offensive lineman back in the 70's/80's more like a linebacker today, in the 250 mold? Would he be able to handle/push/avoid 320 lineman just as easily?--in no way am i saying he couldn't, just curious.I would take Rice, more so because he played against the 300+ lineman and excelled. Just a bit easier for me to think he would play at that high level now.

Today's athlete is stronger, bigger, faster.. You're likely right

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

YAC is YAC… don’t look back!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjlyOe3oX_0

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

YAC is YAC... don't look back!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjlyOe3oX_0

Thanks for those pleasant memories.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember when McKay called him Kevin Apartment.  We haven't seen anyone lift the cap like that since Galloway...

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

I remember when McKay called him Kevin Apartment.  We haven't seen anyone lift the cap like that since Galloway...

Got to get  us one of those burners with some hands for next year--speed kills and keeps safeties out of the box.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren Sapp.Or Hardware.The guy that draws a line in the sand gets his guys together and says, "enough".BTW for those defending the helping-hand-crew:https://youtu.be/f0TyG2uwTFk?t=41THAT'S what's missing on this team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren Sapp.Or Hardware.The guy that draws a line in the sand gets his guys together and says, "enough".BTW for those defending the helping-hand-crew:https://youtu.be/f0TyG2uwTFk?t=41THAT'S what's missing on this team.

Love Lynch... but, he'd be serving as much suspension time as he would be playing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't want to sound sacrilegious, but would Selmon be as dominate today as he was back then? He was great, don't get me wrong, but wasn't an offensive lineman back in the 70's/80's more like a linebacker today, in the 250 mold? Would he be able to handle/push/avoid 320 lineman just as easily?--in no way am i saying he couldn't, just curious.I would take Rice, more so because he played against the 300+ lineman and excelled. Just a bit easier for me to think he would play at that high level now.

Today's athletes benefit from the advanced training and care that Selmon would also receive.  The medical care available now would have certainly lengthened his career. Also, considering that Selmon was playing it of position basically in a 3-4 (all while never bellyaching I might add..) I have no doubt that he would transition into today's game just fine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love Lynch... but, he'd be serving as much suspension time as he would be playing.

Agreed about Lynch.  Hate to say it, but he is a relic that today's NFL has basically banned.  Lynch would probably say as much. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donnie Abraham in his prime was a better CB than Barber.  But Barber's prime lasted a lot longer.

I know this is heresy to many, but I don't disagree at all.  Abraham remains one of the most under rated Buccaneers of all time in my opinion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donnie Abraham in his prime was a better CB than Barber.  But Barber's prime lasted a lot longer.

I know this is heresy to many, but I don't disagree at all.  Abraham remains one of the most under rated Buccaneers of all time in my opinion.

Yeah Donnie was the man. Legit CB that many forget about. Also, Brian Kelly was very good as well but not to Abrahams caliber.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed - that's why I said Sapp or Hardware.The vid link was an example of the attitude I was talking about.  After knocking the snot out of his brother-in-law, Brooks, Lynch, and Abraham all get up and walk back to their positions, leaving the guy knocked out on the ground.None of this helping hands ****.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed - that's why I said Sapp or Hardware.The vid link was an example of the attitude I was talking about.  After knocking the snot out of his brother-in-law, Brooks, Lynch, and Abraham all get up and walk back to their positions, leaving the guy knocked out on the ground.None of this helping hands ****.

I get what you are saying with the attitude but for me it is just a sign of respect helping someone up. Ray Lewis has done it, Reggie White did it, and our boy Ronde did it.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Yeah Donnie was the man. Legit CB that many forget about. Also, Brian Kelly was very good as well but not to Abrahams caliber.

Donnie, Rhonde and Brian we good but the best CB in Bucs history was MIke Washington. Not only was he the best but also the biggest.  He was unique-- a 6'2'' 200 lb shut down corner in those days.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donnie, Rhonde and Brian we good but the best CB in Bucs history was MIke Washington. Not only was he the best but also the biggest.  He was unique-- a 6'2'' 200 lb shut down corner in those days.

Another favorite of mine was Ricky Reynolds.  I remember Jerry Rice once put him in the top two or three cornerbacks he faced in his career.  That is high praise.I love talking old school like this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW for those defending the helping-hand-crew:https://youtu.be/f0TyG2uwTFk?t=41THAT'S what's missing on this team.

Hell ya, it is!!!The pussification of society is an awful concept.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I get what you are saying with the attitude but for me it is just a sign of respect helping someone up. Ray Lewis has done it, Reggie White did it, and our boy Ronde did it.

Have watched all the Patriots games this year and several of their players have helped the opponent up off the ground after the whistle. Those guys definitely don't have the mental fortitude and toughness to win championships....The "helping hands" stuff is a non-issue. It's just people reaching to find criticism.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Have watched all the Patriots games this year and several of their players have helped the opponent up off the ground after the whistle. Those guys definitely don't have the mental fortitude and toughness to win championships....The "helping hands" stuff is a non-issue. It's just people reaching to find criticism.

Amen to that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Today's athletes benefit from the advanced training and care that Selmon would also receive.  The medical care available now would have certainly lengthened his career. Also, considering that Selmon was playing it of position basically in a 3-4 (all while never bellyaching I might add..) I have no doubt that he would transition into today's game just fine.

Absolutely.  People who never saw him play just can't understand how good he was.  The only thing Lee Roy might have trouble with today is his preferred method of tackling aka Jack Ham style, ripping the guys head off. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would have to go with Simeon Rice in his prime. We need an edge rusher that can get to the QB’s blindside consistently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's totally sacrilegious!!!!  LOL Hey Leroy was/is my fav for far more reasons off the field than on.  And he has the credentials for all the accolades he gets or doesn't get on the field.  Dude was just a great athlete and smart.  Used his quickness for the most part, but was stronger than people realized. I'll say this, it wouldn't have mattered where you put him, he would have excelled.  So yeah I'm taking my man all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch the vid again.Then go back and look at that soft as baby **** defensive performance we just put up against Kirk Cousins.  Then come back here and talk to me about it being a non-issue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's totally sacrilegious!!!!  LOL Hey Leroy was/is my fav for far more reasons off the field than on.  And he has the credentials for all the accolades he gets or doesn't get on the field.  Dude was just a great athlete and smart.  Used his quickness for the most part, but was stronger than people realized. I'll say this, it wouldn't have mattered where you put him, he would have excelled.  So yeah I'm taking my man all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

having read comments from coaches and players who faced him, I bet you're right. He probably would have been a dominating force in today's game.(He retired when I was 10, so I don't have many memories of him playing)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

having read comments from coaches and players who faced him, I bet you're right. He probably would have been a dominating force in today's game.(He retired when I was 10, so I don't have many memories of him playing)

No worries dude.  I happened to have had the opportunity to see him play and to get to know him off the field.  And like I said earlier, for me, he was greater off the field than on.  But he was a bad a$$ on it.  Cat quick and stronger than most gave him credit for.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Amen!  The point about his strength was spot on.  There is weight room strength and the is real world strength or "country strong".  Selmon was "country strong" in an out of this world kind of way.  the praise and stories of feat heaped on him by his contemporaries is stunning.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No doubt, lets not forget the Batman who was the leading tackler of that group.

Batman was fun to watch.  I loved the way that defense played together……

Please wait…

Viewing 84 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.