Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

Sunday’s spirited effort by the Bucs against the Seahawks in Tampa Bay’s 27-24 overtimes loss is proof that head coach Greg Schiano has not lost the locker room. The play of rookie QB Mike Glennon is validating Schiano’s decision to bench and release Josh Freeman and go with the rookie.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9386

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish “losing the locker room” could be banned from all sports talk. 1-13 in the last 14 games. Maybe the players are playing for themselves. Maybe they are so good they can overcome some bad coaching (but not enough).The bottom line is Schiano gets out-smarted by every single coach he goes up against. Don't care what the locker room thinks of him really. If we were 3-5 maybe the fact the locker-room may not have quit on him yet *might* come into play. His record is too horrible for it to matter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

… and the Freeman thing was a no-brainer which many people (including myself) said at the time should not be used as a positive when it turns out to be the right move. Obviously it was the right move … Freeman posted some of the worst numbers a QB can put up. Are we really giving the man credit for benching a QB who was performing significantly worse than JaMarcus Russell in certain situations? Good grief. There is objective reporting and grasping for straws.We haven't won any games. Done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Excellent article, Scott. While they played more like the team we expected at the beginning of the season, the key is where do they go from here. The next two home games against Miami and Atlanta are winnable, but an uninspired effort and loss should seal Schianos fate. Also, although many of us thought this, there was a hidden little bombshell hidden in there- "The team remains incredibly confident that an NFLPA investigation will conclude that the leaks about Freeman came from his own agent, and PewterReport.com is researching this issue and drawing that same conclusion, too."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s the problem:Name a single good coach who went on a 1-12 streak at any time in his career outside of an expansion situation?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's the problem:Name a single good coach who went on a 1-12 streak at any time in his career outside of an expansion situation?

Jimmy Johnson

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

D’oh – that’s right. Of course, he also did it with tons of rookies/second year guys and with a team that was coming off of a 3-13 season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great article SR. I appreciate the objective insight!I agree that all is not lost... but I don't think it's going to save Schiano... or maybe it's Dominick that gets the axe? It's starting to look like we should have done everything in our power  last off-season to 1) Trade Freeman, and 2) Keep Mike Bennett. Who wears the blame for these failures? I can understand the PR nightmare that would have occurred if we had jettisoned Freeman in the off-season, but I don't think it could have been any worse than what we actually got. Plus, if we had won a couple of games early, all would gave been quickly forgotten.Just some random thoughts I guess...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I take a step back from this team, from my perspective as diehard, I see a team that really isn’t super talented. We have many late round picks and UDFAs getting a lot of snaps. Schiano losing the locker room or not means little to me. No coach should survive losing 13 of 14. And these players probably won’t make it through a regime change.And that's what this franchise needs: a total regime change from the top down. We tried to rebuild almost on the fly hiring in-house "talent" to take over. What do we have to show for it? An '09 draft with no players remaining. A '10 draft that we were told was one of the most important in franchise history and we bust on 2 2nds and a 3rd. You and I could have picked McCoy at 3. In '11 we took two DEs that aren't great pass rushers, a MLB who's disappeared and nothing else on the current roster. We're all sure '12 was a great draft. We spent a top 10 pick at safety and traded into the 1st for a RB. We've spent premium assets on non-premium positons. We're paying $16mil on two guards, $9mil on a S who is awfully similar to what we drafted with a top 10 pick, and we've given 2nd receiver $8mil a year (and when he goes down we have the UDFA wr roundtable). PewterReport.com had a quote from another NFL exec something to the effect of why would they brag about how many UDFAs they have. Since then we have had a 3-13 season, 7-9, and 0-8 on going.Dominik has to go, Schiano has to go, and the rest of this season will be used to determine which players have to go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Schiano hasn’t lost the locker room (as opposed to players sticking together on their own) then that is quite an accomplishment in the face of a dozen losses, d-line unhappy with the scheme, cutting the QB etc. Maybe Schiano is best suited to be a HC who turns everything over to coordinators (other than who we have now)?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Schiano hasn't lost the locker room (as opposed to players sticking together on their own) then that is quite an accomplishment in the face of a dozen losses, d-line unhappy with the scheme, cutting the QB etc. Maybe Schiano is best suited to be a HC who turns everything over to coordinators (other than who we have now)?

So he'd be in charge of meals and proper air temperature? I don't think he's wired that way Vin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Schiano hasn't lost the locker room (as opposed to players sticking together on their own) then that is quite an accomplishment in the face of a dozen losses, d-line unhappy with the scheme, cutting the QB etc. Maybe Schiano is best suited to be a HC who turns everything over to coordinators (other than who we have now)?

So he'd be in charge of meals and proper air temperature? I don't think he's wired that way Vin.

Lol. I agree he is NOT wired that way. I should've use the sarcasm font

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The players are being professional until they leave the team, then we get the full raspberry effect from them. My guess is that they are playing for pride even if they disagree with the coaches and hoping for the best.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano isn’t the only coach in that building and most of them have plenty of cred that he doesn’t have.  Even if the players have no faith in Schiano, there is enough in that building to keep them going despite it. I don't think any of them really believe in the guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's the problem:Name a single good coach who went on a 1-12 streak at any time in his career outside of an expansion situation?

Landry and McKay?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Scott,Why no credit to Sully for the "extra TE" Carimi playing a good part of the game.  First time I've seen it. Might have contributed to the solid running game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Landry and McKay?

Those guys both ran expansion teams.

Please wait…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.