Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Jameis Winston doesn't mind 'gunslinger' labelRick Stroud, Times Staff Writer Thursday, August 13, 2015 gun_zpsoc9twyij.jpgJameis Winston has made steady improvement since struggling early in camp and seems to have a handle on the Bucs' offense heading into Saturday's preseason game at Minnesota. EVE EDELHEIT | Times  Jameis Winston is often called a gunslinger, which conjures images of a strong arm and quick trigger but also deadly mistakes.Guess what? The Bucs quarterback actually likes the description.“I mean, I like it. It’s a good thing,'' Winston said. "I like throwing the football and making big plays. I’m very aggressive.''Winston threw 25 touchdowns and 18 interceptions last season. But as a freshman, he had 40 TD passes and only 10 picks.But Winston insists there are a lot of reasons a pass play may result in an interception and he's more focused on learning from those mistakes and not repeating them."That’s why the early years, it’s about decision making,'' Winston said. "One thing (Florida State) coach Jimbo Fisher always says, "make the right the decisions and know why you made the decision.' If I know my whys and I make a mistake, I know I won’t make that same mistake again.''Winston struggled early in training camp, especially the first day in pads during a blitz period when was intercepted three times in his first five attempts. But he has made steady improvement since then and seems to have a handle on the Bucs' offense heading into Saturday's preseason game at Minnesota."When people talk about interceptions, it’s a lot of things that come with interceptions,'' Winston said. "Anything can cause an interception. But at the end of the day, the stat sheet is going to say the quarterback has the interception. My objective is not to focus on interceptions at all. My objective is to play football the best I possibly can and move the ball up and down the field.''

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After hearing all of this, teams are going to blitz the hell out of jameis.I certainly hope he, and the oline, are ready for it.Theyre going to bring the blitz early and often. So hopefully koetter will throw some wrinkles in the playbook to deal with that. Because it is pretty much a foregone conclusion imvho. They see the los with two rookies on it, and a rookie winston sitting behind it, and you bet they cant help themselves to call the blitz. I would.But thats the point of the constant blitzing "drills" in camp. Wise choice by, probably koetter, who should know as well as anyone that rookie qb's, even if they arent winston, will traditionally get picked on. The defense will at least try to attempt to rattle him.I say, make them pay for it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After hearing all of this, teams are going to blitz the hell out of jameis.I certainly hope he, and the oline, are ready for it.Theyre going to bring the blitz early and often. So hopefully koetter will throw some wrinkles in the playbook to deal with that. Because it is pretty much a foregone conclusion imvho. They see the los with two rookies on it, and a rookie winston sitting behind it, and you bet they cant help themselves to call the blitz. I would.But thats the point of the constant blitzing "drills" in camp. Wise choice by, probably koetter, who should know as well as anyone that rookie qb's, even if they arent winston, will traditionally get picked on. The defense will at least try to attempt to rattle him.I say, make them pay for it.

Slants to Mike Evans ought to stop that crap!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

quick slants and screens will kill a blitz real quick, hell even a draw play can rip a defense if the blitz is onits easy to adjust to a team that wants to blitz too much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After hearing all of this, teams are going to blitz the hell out of jameis.I certainly hope he, and the oline, are ready for it.

DCs seem to go with either "throw the kitchen sink at 'em" or keep it simple and wait for mistakes when it comes to rookies. Seemed like Kiffin used to go real vanilla with the pressure. Thought I saw some stats from college that JW was pretty effective v. blitz.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston is really good against the blitz.But if a team like Carolina sits in cover three and let their front four wreck havoc that is where Winston will make mistakes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston is really good against the blitz.But if a team like Carolina sits in cover three and let their front four wreck havoc that is where Winston will make mistakes.

100% agree. Its when the front four are in his face while the LB's are hanging back in the flats where he will run into problems.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully he never loses the gunslinger mentality. If we wanted a conservative QB, might as well just rolled with Big Mike.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let Jaboo do his thing baby.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup, thats true as well.The trouble is though, that he cant compare yet. He has already admitted that lb's are much faster in the nfl. Maybe its because of david that he thinks that?Hopefully.However, if were going by traditional stats vs rookie qbs, within the last ten years, id say theyve been more about "throwing the sink" at them. Maybe they calm it down with winston, but idk about that.I know you cannot let him sit in the pocket. He will kill them of there is no pressure on him.Mainly, i worry about how hes going to react when cb's and lb's jump routes in mid-blitz, trying to read his eyes. I know he can "shake them" with a look, but when the pressure is on, and the outlet valve is covered, will he throw anyway, causing an int or picsix?I believe that might be his biggest moutain to climb within the nfl. Cb's arent a joke in the nfl. They arent converted wideouts anymore, they do this for a living. Its their life. The blitz is just the steppingstone to that defensive endevor, so it goes without saying that they almost HAVE to go after him, regardless of college statisticals.This is why i am certain, if koetter is as brilliant as we hope, that he will have some answers to the oline, and the future blitzings jameis surely will face.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup, thats true as well.The trouble is though, that he cant compare yet. He has already admitted that lb's are much faster in the nfl. Maybe its because of david that he thinks that?Hopefully.However, if were going by traditional stats vs rookie qbs, within the last ten years, id say theyve been more about "throwing the sink" at them. Maybe they calm it down with winston, but idk about that.I know you cannot let him sit in the pocket. He will kill them of there is no pressure on him.Mainly, i worry about how hes going to react when cb's and lb's jump routes in mid-blitz, trying to read his eyes. I know he can "shake them" with a look, but when the pressure is on, and the outlet valve is covered, will he throw anyway, causing an int or picsix?I believe that might be his biggest moutain to climb within the nfl. Cb's arent a joke in the nfl. They arent converted wideouts anymore, they do this for a living. Its their life. The blitz is just the steppingstone to that defensive endevor, so it goes without saying that they almost HAVE to go after him, regardless of college statisticals.This is why i am certain, if koetter is as brilliant as we hope, that he will have some answers to the oline, and the future blitzings jameis surely will face.

He thinks the LBs are faster because they certainly are.Are we all not in agreeance on that?

Please wait…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.