Monday, January 20, 2020

Jameis Winston – contract

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    X
    Participant

So if he has a season like last year, or he has a slightly better season but still leads the league in turnovers, do they give him a monster extension (30 mill a season)? Or do they let him walk and the Bucs draft a guy like Tua? If he shows he is a glorified game manager, is he worth all that money? Or do the Bucs rebuild entirely under the guidance of a new GM which the Bucs will almost certainly have next season? He hasn’t been to the playoffs and hasn’t shown much development in the last few seasons, very interesting scenario.

+9
    Rating: +4. From 14 votes.
    Please wait...

The Anomaly
    Participant

I am pretty sure that no QB has ever been given an extension that missed 5 straight years of playoffs.  We’d probably be stupid enough to because we suck.

+11
    Rating: +4. From 18 votes.
    Please wait...
    DontF***UpBucs!
    Participant

what’s the over/under on how many games we go before people start calling for Ryan Griffin?

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
    pewterblood
    Participant

In those circumstances let him walk or try to trade him before the trade deadline. If we sign him to a long term extension, this team will remain the garbage it currently is.

+6
    Rating: -1. From 13 votes.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

In those circumstances let him walk or try to trade him before the trade deadline. If we sign him to a long term extension, this team will remain the garbage it currently is.

afraid you’re right

+5
    Rating: +1. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...
    Butters
    Participant

I don’t see many situations where Winston isn’t the starter in 2020. Either he gets an extension or gets tagged. I guess there is a slim chance he gets tagged and traded but he’s not walking for nothing. He’d have to have a really crappy season and/or do something stupid off the field to nuke his future here. Even if he leads the league in turnovers I don’t think he’s jettisoned. He’s dangling in between superstar and garbage like every play it seems and that’s too dazzling to coaches and GMs thinking they’ll be able to fix him and erase the garbage plays.

+8
    Rating: +3. From 13 votes.
    Please wait...
    Mic
    Participant

He just needs a middle of the pack defense and the wins will come. Multiple top ten offenses is still hard to come by whoever your qb is

+9
    Rating: +7. From 11 votes.
    Please wait...
    Watchman
    Participant

I believe Winston will be the starter in 2020, most likely via the franchise tag.  I am guessing his 2019 season will look like most of his other seasons where he flashes great play along with rookie-like play.  If that is the case I don’t see how a team can justify paying Winston $25-30M per year over 5-7 years.

I am of the opinion that the team should start to rebuild.  The Bucs have a losing record, no cap space, no consensus on Winston as a franchise QB, horrible drafting record over the last 4-5 years.  The teams best defensive player just broke his neck, and the best offensive player (Evans) should probably be traded to help the rebuild.

+4
    Rating: +2. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...
    X
    Participant

If the Bucs decide to rebuild under new general management, which will happen, Mike Evans is 25 and should go nowhere. New QBs need security blankets, and #13 is about as secure a blanket you can get. OJ and 13 are great cornerstones who are young and talented. Jameis is going to be looking for 30 a season, but let’s see if his play merits that. I would hate to see them franchise tag him, basically again, because that would mean he isn’t exactly lighting it up, and would still be under scrutiny as The Franchise quarterback. At that point, I would let him test the waters and would be assuming Tampa would have a top 3 pick to boot. He needs to really shine this season, and keep the turnovers down and get some big time wins with his arm being a big reason why. If not, it might be a tough sell to a new GM. The market price for franchise, or even solid QBs, is enormous, and if they are already on shaky ground it would set this franchise back another three or four seasons.  Which is one heck of a drought.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
    Do_it_Big_Bucs
    Participant

For those that think the Bucs are a worse team with Winston don’t know football.

There is a reason we drafted 6 straight on defense in this draft. It’s because the offense is breaking records and leading the league in a number of categories.    Without a running game.. at all.. without even a middle of the pack OL.

Give this man a top 5 defense and a top 5 running back and you will see playoffs every year.

+8
    Rating: +6. From 10 votes.
    Please wait...
    X
    Participant

Hopefully the new management team can do just that do_it_big_bucs.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

Gotta see some improvement in some things before giving him long term deal. We will see how he is under this “qb guru”.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by BucBalla85.
    Crazyhorse54
    Participant

I thought this was about what #3’s contract said about stunts like getting a golf ball hit off of his head. smh

Rating: -1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...
    JameisTakeTheWheel
    Participant

For those that think the Bucs are a worse team with Winston don’t know football.

There is a reason we drafted 6 straight on defense in this draft. It’s because the offense is breaking records and leading the league in a number of categories. Without a running game.. at all.. without even a middle of the pack OL.

Give this man a top 5 defense and a top 5 running back and you will see playoffs every year.

I get the point your trying to make and totally agree Jaboo needs an improved D and running game, but if he needs a top 5 D and top 5 RB to get to the playoffs, then we don’t need to spend another’s dollar on Jaboo. Bout any starting QB in the league would get you playoffs with both those…. but point is understood and agreed that great improvement in both categories would help Jameis pile up the Ws.

+7
    Rating: +7. From 7 votes.
    Please wait...
    tog
    Participant

There is a reason we drafted 6 straight on defense in this draft. It’s because the offense is breaking records and leading the league in a number of categories. Without a running game.. at all.. without even a middle of the pack OL.

The only records the Bucs broke was with Fitzpatrick.

You’re grossly overplaying how good this defense was. It was top 10, not top 5, and hardly record breaking (unless you’re talking about Fitzmagic).

+3
    Rating: 0. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.