Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• JDouble

Participant

Is going to hit the open market. I know he comes from a 3-4, but he has the size to be a 4-3 DE. Add him to a list that includes Justin Houston, JPP, Greg Hardy, Pernell McPhee, Jerry Hughes, Brian Orakpo, and Brandon Graham…..we need to assume Micheal Johnson is a FA bust and get one of these guys. Period.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worilds is a solid passrusher but i think hes going to want more money than hes worth

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is going to hit the open market. I know he comes from a 3-4, but he has the size to be a 4-3 DE. Add him to a list that includes Justin Houston, JPP, Greg Hardy, Pernell McPhee, Jerry Hughes, Brian Orakpo, and Brandon Graham.....we need to assume Micheal Johnson is a FA bust and get one of these guys. Period.

from that list though, we need to assume Houston is overpriced or re-signed, jpp is back with the gmen, hardy is not available, Hughes is overpriced, oraKpo  is injury prone, and Brandon graham is more of a bust than MJ.I'd certainly like one of those guys, but I wouldn't overpay either.  Mjs contract gives him one more year in tampa.  Then if we want to overpay then overpay when he's off the books.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worilds seems like an effective starting caliber player but I don’t see him as anything more than that. I wouldn’t want to pay him the $4-6 mil he’ll probably get. I’d rather draft and develop or try to make a smart scrap heap move.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is going to hit the open market. I know he comes from a 3-4, but he has the size to be a 4-3 DE. Add him to a list that includes Justin Houston, JPP, Greg Hardy, Pernell McPhee, Jerry Hughes, Brian Orakpo, and Brandon Graham.....we need to assume Micheal Johnson is a FA bust and get one of these guys. Period.

Was thinking the same thing

• Anonymous

Inactive

from that list though, we need to assume Houston is overpriced or re-signed, jpp is back with the gmen, hardy is not available, Hughes is overpriced, oraKpo  is injury prone, and Brandon graham is more of a bust than MJ.I'd certainly like one of those guys, but I wouldn't overpay either.  Mjs contract gives him one more year in tampa.  Then if we want to overpay then overpay when he's off the books.

Are you paying the tab for these guys' salaries? No? Then why do you care how much they cost? Why do we need to wait until next year? We have around $35M in cap space and that is going to go up when we cut some dead weight. There is no reason to wait. There is also no reason to pick apart these FAs and pass on them, because anyone of them is 10x better than any pass rusher we have. We need a legit pass rush and we need to be aggressive. Michael Johnson might be better this season but is most likely a FA bust.....so what. If he sucks again, cut his ass and keep moving. But don't stop bringing in top pass rushers until we find one that works.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And who knows, maybe we bring in one of these guys and then Michael Johnson comes on strong this season. Crazier things have happened. Then we’d have a badass pass rush with four great D-linemen. We’d be spending a buttload to have it, but since we don’t have a franchise QB eating up $18M/yr of our cap space…..we can afford to pay top dollar for a pass rush.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are you paying the tab for these guys' salaries? No? Then why do you care how much they cost? Why do we need to wait until next year? We have around $35M in cap space and that is going to go up when we cut some dead weight. There is no reason to wait. There is also no reason to pick apart these FAs and pass because anyone of them is 10x better than any pass rusher we have. We need a legit pass rush and we need to be aggressive. Michael Johnson might be better this season but is most likely a FA bust.....so what. If he sucks again, cut his ass and keep moving. But don't stop bringing in top pass rushers until we find one that works.

i care about the cap, not the amount of real money.  I’m not sure tying up 20 mil on RDE is the best way to use our capspace.  Half of those guys won’t be available imo.  Sign Brandon graham for peanuts, but even he has motor issues.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we draft a QB #1 overall and that QB ends up being great, we won’t have to worry about resigning him to a big contract for 4-5 years. Until then, we can sink as much money as we need to into pass rushing FAs in hopes of finding the right one. What else are we going to spend that money on? As long as we don’t do any deals that will handicap us more than 4 years out….there is no harm.

• Anonymous

Inactive

JDUB    +++1

• Anonymous

Inactive

How much will McPhee command on the market?  Not the RE I’m dreaming about, but I like him as a LE slide inside on passing downs guy (though that is the kind of end we have the best chance of getting in the middle rounds of this draft imo).

• Anonymous

Inactive

Giants have gone on record stating they'll franchise JPP if they can't work out deal...think the same for Houston as well. I'm expecting Bucs to show interest in last 3 names on that list which is fine by me. Count me as one that wants Johnson gone.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always felt Johnson was a one year wonder and was super risky…..but trusted Lovie knew better than me. Lol. Anyways, I'm all for giving him OTAs and Preseason to show he is healthy and ready to earn his salary this season. Maybe even give him a few games into the regular season, but if he doesn't start looking like a $9M/yr pass rusher REAL FUCKING FAST than his ass needs to be fired. Jacquies Smith showed some promise last year. Would be great if he turned out to be a hidden gem, but we can't count on that. Bowers is a turd. Gholston is average at best. We need to bring in at least one top pass rushing FA and draft at least one. Same can be said for OL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really want us to sign Jabaal Sheard. He’s only 25 and has experience in a 4-3, where he has some success.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really want us to sign Jabaal Sheard. He's only 25 and has experience in a 4-3, where he has some success.

He has talent. It's just wierd that his production has gone down every year. He might just need a change of scenery from Cleveland. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really want us to sign Jabaal Sheard. He's only 25 and has experience in a 4-3, where he has some success.

He has talent. It's just wierd that his production has gone down every year. He might just need a change of scenery from Cleveland.

I see it as a good thing for us. we can bring him in for cheap and see if the coaches can get him back to form. it not then we can cut bait for little money. its a win-win scenario for us. he was a good DE at Pitt in college and showed that theres potential there

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worilds seems like an effective starting caliber player but I don't see him as anything more than that. I wouldn't want to pay him the $4-6 mil he'll probably get. I'd rather draft and develop or try to make a smart scrap heap move.

Same here, but, ..its not like we don't need some more starting caliber players either.That guy would keep us from worrying about that spot, and allow us to devote our concentration where it needs to be (ol). Technically, it would be worth it (presumably with solid performances yearly).

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we draft a QB #1 overall and that QB ends up being great, we won't have to worry about resigning him to a big contract for 4-5 years. Until then, we can sink as much money as we need to into pass rushing FAs in hopes of finding the right one. What else are we going to spend that money on? As long as we don't do any deals that will handicap us more than 4 years out....there is no harm.

Good post

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree we need to address OL too, and I think we will. I think we will likely cut/trade Anthony Collins and then try to sign a starting caliber OL to replace him. Unfortunately there isn’t a lot of starting caliber OL free agents….so there is no guarantee we can get an upgrade. With pass rush, we can get an upgrade. There are going to be over half a dozen options that would be immediate upgrades over anything we have. Our pass rush has been dreadful for so long now. We have to get at least one of the top guys in FA. If not, I think it will be another failure by L&L.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how much of that was the transition to the 3-4 defense. He might just play better with his hand in the dirt.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Darnell Duckett was released today also.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dockett was an awesome 3tech before the Cards switched to the 3-4 and moved him to end. he was still good but not the passrusher he used to beim guessing some 3-4 team signs him or he gets a big contract. hes 34 and coming off a knee injury though and i dont know if i want to pay that much

• mike25315

Participant

Beast of an athlete, but he'll be 34 before the season starts.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.