Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

Sounds like a good signing!

Jeremy Butler should have taken a roster spot away from Boyle, Waller or Canady

The Baltimore Ravens deciding to release wide receiver Jeremy Butler was easily the most disappointing transaction the Ravens made today in my opinion. When Butler is on the field, all he does is make plays. Butler plays hard and he has sure hands which is something that most young wide receivers have had issues with historically during their time with the Ravens.

Unless there is something internally within the Ravens organization that caused a big fallout between the team and Butler, releasing him makes no sense to me.

More…
      http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/9/3/12787610/opinion-jeremy-butler-should-have-taken-a-roster-spot-from-away-boyle-waller-or-canady

• Buc Bauce

Participant

Dude makes a sweet TD grab at the 1:25 mark…

https://youtu.be/5RF4s4LraxQ

• Drogon

Participant

Nice find. If he is as good as they’re thinking we will have to activate him soon. That one play alone is better than anything our WR after Hump have shown.

• Buc Em 3

Participant

Well hopefully he can be a good player for us cause we have three WR’s worth a damn at the moment.

• TampaBucks05

Participant

It’s awfully hard to get excited about practice squad players.

• Madman

Participant

31 receptions last year for the Ravens. Good depth. I bet he ends up being the #4 WR. Big guy who can step in for Evans or Vjax.

• Defense5599

Blocked

My question is, if he played in eight games last year, how is he still practice squad eligible?

• Garv

Participant

Well, if the Ravens or anyone else wants him they’re free to pluck him from our PS any time. It’s a gamble. But if he’s good enough to make the Buccaneers 53 he will.

“We’re all here because we’re not all there.”
      as always, GO BUCS!!!

• ryan24

Participant

My question is, if he played in eight games last year, how is he still practice squad eligible?

Up to 4 of the guys on a team’s PS can have up to two accrued seasons in the NFL.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I think the Bucs will need to activate Butler or else another team may grab him off the PS.

You wont find a better WR anywhere at this stage

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nice find. If he is as good as they’re thinking we will have to activate him soon. That one play alone is better than anything our WR after Hump have shown.

I’m guessing if this guy was that sought after that the Bucs made him a wink wink nudge nudge deal that once he gets the playbook down they’ll activate him. They just don’t want to go into game 1 being short as he won’t be effective or useful yet. If they didn’t make him any assurances I’m sure the first team that comes along with a roster spot for him will steal him away.

• Bucs_Rule

Participant

I’m guessing if this guy was that sought after that the Bucs made him a wink wink nudge nudge deal that once he gets the playbook down they’ll activate him. They just don’t want to go into game 1 being short as he won’t be effective or useful yet. If they didn’t make him any assurances I’m sure the first team that comes along with a roster spot for him will steal him away.

Or the Bucs could be waiting until after week 1 so that his salary is not guaranteed for the season.

• Defense5599

Blocked

Up to 4 of the guys on a team’s PS can have up to two accrued seasons in the NFL.

Yes but I thought they couldn’t have been on an active roster for more than six games.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d sign him as a sign of good faith. The kid is clearly better than all of the fours, by a large margin. Shepard running close at the moment simply because he plays special teams, while JButs does not. Let him linger around the sideline, give him a contract, get him around the actives. He’s really earned it already. He is missed by their fanbase, and as stated, not pleased by his release.

Dump one of the other trash cans…before the dreaded Saints give him a deal…or the Niners…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or the Bucs could be waiting until after week 1 so that his salary is not guaranteed for the season.

Ugh. That would not be cool, for him. Not sure he won’t swoop in on a guaranteed deal, if one gets tossed his way.

• Booker Reese

Participant

Guaranteeing his salary is nothing – i.e., that’s not why he’s not active in week 1.

By definition, 53 players are guaranteed salary after week 1. He’s a low-paid guy – if you have to guarantee anyone’s $, his is as good as any.

This is more like an extended try-out.

• Cerious

Participant

Yes but I thought they couldn’t have been on an active roster for more than six games.

Right, one accrued season means on the active roster, IR or reserve/PUP list for six or more games in  a season. That means at least 6 but up to 16 games in a season.

The new rule is that up to 4 players on each practice squad can have two accrued seasons. So in this case Butler could have played between 6-16 games in 2014 (one accrued season) and between 6-16 games in 2015 (two) and he is still eligible for our PS.

Here’s a nice link on practice squad rules:

http://www.bucsnation.com/2016/9/3/12782236/2016-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-size-and-more

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Didn’t the Bucs “steal” WR Desmond Briscoe like this several years ago… and basically paid him the max allowable practice squad money ($300,000)??

• SappAttack

Participant

We cut James… we have a roster spot, right?

• Uncle Stan

Participant

Is it true that PS players do not have to accept an offer from another team?

• Booker Reese

Participant

Yes, U.S. That’s correct.

• Defense5599

Blocked

We cut James… we have a roster spot, right?

That spot went to Peyton Barber.

• Madman

Participant

Didn’t the Bucs “steal” WR Desmond Briscoe like this several years ago… and basically paid him the max allowable practice squad money ($300,000)??

Yes, they did. Good memory! Cincy was mad. Looked like a good move. For awhile anyway.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.