Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 reply threads

• Author

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Interesting take that surprised me.

Build the trenches!

• Barnz1

Participant

If you dive deep enough into films watchers you can find videos of anyone saying anyone was a steal. Probably even Trask! But Kollmann is fairly respected so I was surprised when I saw his Tryon takes also.

Tryon is a traits guy. The traits might be overblown a touch. The one I look at mostly is 10 yard split for get off ability and 1.64 is good not great. On tape I see edge rushers who get out of their stance faster. But 6’5, 260, 34 inch arms is very good. PFF is one who isn’t a fan of Tryon. The reason for this is they measure mostly off what have you proven, how consistent and dominating you are you rep to rep.

The thing I personally worry about (which Kollman mentions) is Tryon is a bit tight hipped when trying to go around the edge. He is not going to win like Shaq Barrett or Von Miller. He is going to need to win with a blend of speed and power. Tryon has dominate reps on tape but they are few and few between compared to someone like an Ojulari. Kollmann is likely extrapolating to say those dominate reps will become way more consistent.

The Bucs would be hoping the same but it is a high risk reward pick for sure. There is bust potential based on his lack of college production but it could go either way.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Kollmann said that Tryon can take on JPP’s role sooner or later. But from what I have seen Tryon needs work still and still needs to prove to be more consistent. But I understand what Kollmann was saying as JPP feeds off of what Shaq does on the other side. And JPP and Shaq compliment each other as a result.

Build the trenches!

• red816

Participant

The article about Joe Tryon posted on The Athletic is very interesting. The kid has been putting in work over the past year training in Los Angeles, working on his body, flexibility, and pass rush moves.

• Natural Selection

Participant

People may be forgetting how raw JPP was coming out. He went juco 2 years then 1 season at USF. Against meh competition he got 6.5 sacks and 16.5 tfl (27 solo tackles) in 13 games that 3rd season after high school. Joe got 8 sacks and 12.5 tfl (also 27 solo) in 13 games of Pac12 football his 2nd year out of high school. Joe isn’t JJP level freak athlete, but he’s pretty darn close. With very similar frames. Joe was significantly more polished as a Soph than JPP as a Jr. Him taking the year off for covid makes the dice roll greater on both extremes. Even if he wasn’t my top pick, he’s got undeniably high upside.

• Pennywise

Participant

Tryon is about power , and like BA said , you can’t teach power , and BA also said guys who rely on speed will get knocked down by NFL OTs

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Tryon will start out in rotation on the edge with JPP kicking on the inside on passing downs. And Barrett on the other side. Throw in D. White blitzing an A gap and things are going to be tough for the NFCS and all other opponents IMO.

Build the trenches!

• JBSouthpaw

Participant

The article about Joe Tryon posted on The Athletic is very interesting. The kid has been putting in work over the past year training in Los Angeles, working on his body, flexibility, and pass rush moves.

I read that article too.

Here is the quote on his hips: ““He trained hard,” said Ryan Capretta, Proactive’s owner and director. “We took a lot of time recalibrating his body. He’s such a freak athlete, with his size and makeup. He’s so lean and explosive. His hips got really loose, so he can bend, and being so tall, we wanted to put a focus on mobility at the front end, and once he attained more mobility, we turned it into explosive movements and things like that.”

Greg Auman does a great job covering the Bucs, only subscription I pay for is the Athletic.

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

Like I said in another thread, Ojulari would’ve been a safer bet but I like the pick because the one position they needed to shore up was edge rusher and Tryon is a proven commodity.

• Pennywise

Participant

Ojulari dropped because he has bad knees , far from a safe pick

• BucsSavant

Participant

He’s also only 240 compared to Tyrons 260. IMO the tryon-jpp comparison is spot on, which is likely why the front office drafted him to be the successor. I expect him to take Nelson’s snaps immediately

• Runole

Participant

Tryon will start out in rotation on the edge with JPP kicking on the inside on passing downs. And Barrett on the other side. Throw in D. White blitzing an A gap and things are going to be tough for the NFCS and all other opponents IMO.

agree Bucs pass rushing should be better this year.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Good pick by the Bucs. Good upside.

• obuc

Participant

Shaq is 6′ 2, so when he leans into the tackle, (who will almost always be taller,) he can get under the tackle’s pads and leverage him out of the way. It will be harder for a 6′ 6″ guy to do that but if Tryon can bend, get low and keep his power, he can do the same thing, he just has to approach it a bit differently.

Jon goes by the 3 cone alot so I’ve been paying attention to that. He runs a respectable 7.18, same as JPP, Barrett’s is 6.9 but he is a bit smaller i think. Tryon’s 10 yard split is actually faster than Barrett’s, so you would think he might beat the tackle to the corner and can change direction to either stay around the outside corner or do a swim move inside.

Either way, his measured numbers suggest he can do it and he can still bull rush guys bigger than him. I read somewhere that he was the only guy to blow through Penei Sewell. Now Sewell returned the favor but he will compete out there, no question.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.