Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 37 reply threads

• Author

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Tryon, Shaq, and JPP are going head hunting next season. Build those trenches!

Build the trenches!

• SunnyD

Participant

Smart smart smart move by Licht.

Hopefully he can also find one of his 2-3 round diamond in the rough iOL.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I would’ve taken Ojulari, but I agree, smart move by Licht. This guy doesn’t need to make an impact right away. He can play in a rotation and use that in game experience to adjust to the speed of the NFL.

• Runole

Participant

good pick!Nice size/speed

• Pennywise

Participant

He’s young too , just turned 22 today

• Boid Fink

Participant

Ah. Remember those Trent Richardson days…lol…

• Barnz1

Participant

Glad we picked a pass rusher. But overlooking Ojulari is a head scratcher to me. The most advanced pass rusher who is basically another Shaq Barrett.

They went for the risky upside pick and fair enough. Tryon is super raw. We will see how it plays out

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

If teams are scared of Ojulari due to medicals Bucs can roll the dice and draft him in the 2nd round.

Build the trenches!

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

Number two edge behind Phillips imho. I think when you factor our needs, value of the pass rushers in general, his tenacity, physical freakish tools, PRODUCTION (12.5 sacks) and the growth from 19-21 or 20-22 from last seen to next time we see him. There’s some definite higher ceiling there as opposed to higher floors, lower ceiling with some other guys we may have passed on. Like I said in another post seems hard to like Oweh n pressures but not Tryon with actual sacks n TFLs. There is something to be said for his playing style n production.
      This year he may have gone out and displayed a much improved technique and put up huge numbers and been a guaranteed top ten pick. He was a pre season All American before opting out. We don’t know , unlike some others who we did see. We also ran the pick in quicker than any other team. So I’m gonna trust our guys on what they know. They did good with their Washington scouts, coaches with Vea and I’m sure they know something we may not. Gonna trust our guys on this one. Also think theres a reason he started being mocked, gaining some momentum and moving up this past week or so.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I am not sure why he is considered one dimensional when he has a nasty cross move across the face of OL to explode inside. And he clearly shows the ability to explode wide. Throw in some spin moves and he isn’t your typical ” project”.

What makes him raw is his lack of consistency.

I have seen many, many edge rushers drafted that are one trick ponies, but Tryon isn’t that type of player. The risk with Tryon is that he doesn’t consistently dominate relative his athletic gifts.

Anthony Barr is a good comparison because people didn’t expect him to contribute as a rookie but he did.

Build the trenches!

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Licht statement after the drafting Tryon:

“First of all, he’s a very fluid athlete.” “He’s got very good feet. He’s got good lateral quickness. He plays with tremendous effort, which raises his game speed in my opinion, because he never gives up. We just thought that his workouts really jumped off the tape — just the way he can move, and move laterally, and play with balance in his drops and things like that. He’s going to be a very versatile guy for us.”

Tryon has speed, 4.65 in the 40 yd

and is athletic, 35″ vertical.

He has really worked hard to reshape his body.

The Bucs may have drafted a real winner.

He plays hard and fast and works hard at getting better.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• Boid Fink

Participant

What did Licht say about Aguayo? Or J. Evans?

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

I think Licht has done a wonderful job building the Bucs.

Probably the only player whom Licht has not had a hand in bring to
      the team is David, and David is one of Licht’s very favorites.

The Bucs got the “draft card” to the podium almost immediately.
      It would seem that they had Tryon well in their mind before it was their turn.

I’m happy celebrating Licht’s numerous good moves.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• m_j

Participant

that’s ok, it was expected as well. not an immediate starter though!

I would have preferred CB, newsome or stokes, but those were gone!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Thank God for Brady, I think most of you mean.

• buc_boi

Participant

Y’all don’t feed the troll

• Pennywise

Participant

Per pfn

Joe Tryon is a young man that is just a gamer. Similar to Williams, Tryon enters an edge-rusher class with a lot of uncertainty around it. PFN’s own A.J. Schulte recently mocked Tryon to the Baltimore Ravens in his 7-Round NFL Mock Draft, and it makes a lot of sense why.

For one, there are a lot of edge-rusher-needy teams in that back end of the first round. The Browns, Ravens, Bills, and Buccaneers all have a somewhat significant need at the position. That certainly creates an opportunity for Tryon to sneak into the first round.

However, even aside from that, Tryon’s tape sticks out in a good way. He is such a smooth and explosive athlete. The ease in which he covers ground is eye-opening at times. Considering flexibility, Tryon is quick laterally and can bend to reduce surface area around the arc well. It helps give him true schematic flexibility as a potential 3-4 outside linebacker or 4-3 base end.

Despite those physical traits, it is Tryon’s technical ability that is likely attributing to his rise. Tryon has a vast pass-rush plan and toolbox to work with. There are seriously advanced and mental techniques that Tryon displays on tape that are far advanced. There is no reason to think Tryon cannot step in and be an instant problem for opposing teams. Thus, it is why he is certainly among the late 2021 NFL Draft risers.

• SunnyD

Participant

I don’t want to get buried in the weeds arguing about the merits of each individual edge prospect. Simply drafting a player at a premium position in the first round was a smart move by Licht and shows some major development as a GM.

• Live4BUCS

Participant

FWIW Brett Kollman was very high on Tryon. His breakdown in this video makes me happy with the pick.

• mgchat76

Participant

While on the Ross Tucker Podcast, Greg Cosell spoke very highly of Tryon. He mentioned his pass rush ability and ability to drop into coverage. He said “he’s a multipositional sub-front player which is very valuable” and “just scratching the surface.” Then he went on to praise his “outstanding playing personality, he made a lot of plays with competiveness, effort, pursuit”. Sounds like he’ll fit right in on Bowles’ defense. My question is what happens when Bowles takes a HC job somewhere next offseason? Whoever comes in will need to have the ability to maximize Tryon’s versatility.

• Live4BUCS

Participant

Hopefully that job is with the Bucs after Arians retires after winning back to back rings! :)

• buc-in-out

Participant

I love the pick.

With who was left on the board, Tryon was a great pick to solidify a serious lack of depth. Obviously the guy’s a project, or else he would have been picked earlier.. but he is a serious athlete, running a 4.6 40, 35″ vert, 22 reps on the bench, 7.18 three-cone. 6’5, 260, has great foot speed, and he had real production in 2019, showed he has several moves in his arsenal..

Being able to slowly progress and learn behind Shaq and JPP is HUGE. We got lucky JPP and Shaq didn’t miss any time last season. Nelson has shown some progress, now with Tryon I like our EDGE depth if I’m honest.

With how quickly the Bucs pick came in, you can imagine they weren’t interested in trading back, this was a guy they wanted..

I’d LOVE to see the Bucs come out and aggressively trade up to nab Jenkins/Dickerson/Humphrey/Barmore in round 2. Keep building up the trenches!

• seekpar

Participant

I have been touting EDGE at #32 for weeks now.

Thank you Bucs FO.

• Donkey

Participant

Sorry to be the one negative voice here but can’t respect his decision to opt out of playing last year due to COVID. Tells me he doesn’t love football.

• Bucman

Participant

The season was “cancelled” at that point. So he hired an agent to prepare for the draft. He tried to get back in once it was announced they were gonna play. But it was too late and the agent hiring cost him.

• buc-in-out

Participant

^Thanks Bucman, didn’t know that.

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

Tryon is a year away at minimum from having a real impact on the field. He sat out last year and that stunted his development. Still, a good pick for 2022.

• JC5100

Participant

I don’t want to get buried in the weeds arguing about the merits of each individual edge prospect. Simply drafting a player at a premium position in the first round was a smart move by Licht and shows some major development as a GM.

I’m neutral on the pick and could see it working, but your logic is terrible. Winston at #1 and Hargreaves at #11 fit the positional value aspect but were F picks.

• 3rd String Kicker

I would not be upset with an additional edge rusher in round 2 either.

• buc-in-out

Participant

I’d be down to double dip at EDGE, grab Ronnie Perkins or Ojulari if he slips?

• BucsBay

Participant

I liked Ossai more, but I probably got lulled into mock draft rankings. Tryon’s size and strength are big. He said he models him game after Chandler Jones, and I can envision the comparison. Maybe Ossai will drop into range in the 2nd still, although Licht mentioned Gill too, so doubt they would use a premium pick at the position again. QB?

• The Freeman

Participant

prefer to wait for Elerson Smith in the 3rd or 4th round to add another edge rusher, nearly every year there is a good one available in the middle of the draft: see Alex Highsmith, Maxx Crosby, Matt Judon, Trey Flowers, Jared Allen, Robert Mathis…

• Roy

Participant

The Bucs came in late on a run on DE/Edge rushers. We won’t know if its the end of the run until we get into the 2nd round. But you had Phillips at 18, Paye at 21. Then you had Turner, Rousseau, Oweh, and then finally Tryon. So Thats six guys in back half of the round. The Bucs obviously felt good about Tryon or they wouldn’t have taken him. PR had him mocked to the Bucs and all that but I’m just sayin…. he was at the end of a run and you can make out of that what you want.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Roy, we were at the end of the run of Offensive Tackles early in the first round last year, how’d that turn out for us?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Sorry to be the one negative voice here but can’t respect his decision to opt out of playing last year due to COVID. Tells me he doesn’t love football.

pretty sure he wasn’t a coward afraid of covid but maybe he thought he had such a good showing as as sophmore, might as well rest the season to be healthy for the NFL.

let’s hope he wasnt’ a coward anyway

• Pepsi

Participant

Hopefully he develops more power than he displays here

• obuc

Participant

We know Jon is big into testing numbers so I went out and grabbed Tryon’s. Here they are.
      Height 6′ 5″ 78
      Weight 270 lbs 59
      Arm Length 34¾”
      Hand Size 10⅜”
      10 Yard Split 1.68s
      20 Yard Split 2.76s
      40 Yard Dash 4.78s
      Vertical Jump 30½”
      Broad Jump 115″
      3-Cone Drill 7.18s
      20 Yard Shuttle 4.67s
      Bench Press 19 reps

Wait a second, the weight isn’t right. That says 270, not 260.That’s because that isn’t Tryon’s numbers. Those were JPP’s numbers! Now lets really look at Tryon’s. . .

Height 6′ 5″* 78
      Weight 259 lbs*
      Wingspan 82¾”*
      Arm Length 34″*
      Hand Size 10¼”*
      10 Yard Split 1.64s*
      20 Yard Split 2.69s*
      40 Yard Dash 4.68s*
      Vertical Jump 35″*
      Broad Jump 116″*
      3-Cone Drill 7.18s*
      20 Yard Shuttle 4.36s*
      Bench Press 22 reps*

JPP was 10 pounds heavier obviously. He also had a better reach by 3/4″ of an inch. But other than that, Tryon out vertical jumped JPP by 5 inches, his 40 , 20 and 10 times were better. His bench was better and their 3-cone, an important measure was identical to 1/100th of a second.

the point is, you have a guy who is the literal build clone and athlete measurable clone of JPP. from whom, Tryon will learn his techniques and inherit this defense’s mean streak. He can rotate almost immediately, practice across from Tristan Wirfs and grow over the course of this next year.

As an aside, Bruglers publication, The Beast, listed detail stats and reviews on some 300 players, I believe. He listed HIS top 100 at any position in order of his grade on them. Coincidentally, he had Tryon as the 32nd best player in the draft. 5th best edge.

I prefered Oweh, who he listed as the 4th best and 26th overall. Oweh’s measurables were insane but to my point, if you knew that you were getting a 22 year old JPP would you complain or would you feel good about it? Because, I think that is what we got.

• BucsBay

Participant

Can he do backflips though?

• BucBalla85

Participant

Looks like a beast! Happy we addressed depth at pass rush position. Keep building depth on the trenches and maybe some depth at lb as well.

• Boid Fink

Participant

It’s curious to me because a few here have said he is a good run stopper…but some scouts say he is actually an average to below average run defender. He has some highlight worthy tape, hopefully he learns how to be stout like Gholston.

Hopefully he develops more power than he displays here

• ABuccsFan

Participant

Y’all don’t feed the troll

Yeah, Boid stood on the table stating Simeon Rice was a first ballot HoF’r, so he sure knows talent.

“For a brief, shining moment in history a select breed truly lived free.”…….Unkown

• dalbuc

Participant

Rice should be HoF. He won’t ever get there but he should.

Tryon checks a lot of boxes: size/speed ratio, production, position of need and value. If he’d played this year he’d have gone a lot higher especially in this edge class.

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

Tryon, Shaq, and JPP are going head hunting next season. Build those trenches!

Tryon looks like a project pick to me. Not impressed. He looks more finesse than physical. He has some good burst but, will need to build strength and add some moves at the LOS