Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 reply threads

• Author

• buccaneer4ever

Participant

Unlike failed 2010 first-round quarterback Tim Tebow, failed 2009 first-round quarterback Josh Freeman is willing to play football wherever he can. But Freeman’s debut for the FXFL may have vindicated Tebow’s approach.Tim Casey of the New York Times (as noted on Twitter by Adam Schefter of ESPN) reports that Freeman had a rough game with the Brooklyn Bolts of the Fall Experimental Football League. It’s a three-franchise operation, and on Sunday night the Bolts hosted the Florida Blacktips, a team that per Casey has no set roster and will have no home games.The Blacktips’ roster on Friday night featured only two players with NFL experience, but the man who made 60 NFL regular-season starts completed nine of 16 passes for 32 yards, a touchdown and an interception, and five fumbles. While that technically may qualify him to start for the 49ers in their rematch with the Cardinals, as a practical matter it does nothing to attract any NFL team to give him yet another last chance to show that he recapture his long-lost football form.It’s possible that Freeman had protection problems or other factors that weren’t in his control. But no excuses were offered for Freeman’s inability to compete against players with no ability to compete in the NFL.Freeman stiff-armed reporters after the game. Coach Terry Shea had this to say on Freeman’s behalf: “I’ve got to think that this was maybe just one of those nights where a perfect storm came together for him. It really controlled him.”Before the game, Freeman spoke via telephone to Casey.“I just wanted to keep playing football in any capacity and continue to stay sharp,” Freeman said Thursday. “Stepping in the huddle and calling plays and that whole procedure and process, maintaining my routine that comes along with being in season, I think it gives me a better shot to perform at my highest level if a team does call me up.”It’s the right approach, as long as the player doesn’t get the wrong results. Ultimately, it’s better to have no film than bad film, and it’s hard to imagine Freeman having anything but bad film from his FXFL debut.His best hope at this point may be that the fly-by-night league couldn’t afford cameras to record the game.

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/04/josh-freemans-fxfl-debut-confirms-what-nfl-teams-already-knew/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

talk about a fall from grace, geez!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haven’t worn my Freeman jersey in a few years. But it still has duct tape across the name plate. And a big fat MRSA written in sharpie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not really that far of a fall.He is who we thought he was.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always felt he had below average accuracy but this is just a nightmare.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

from 1st rd pick and starter in the NFL to playing in some garbage 3 team league is a pretty far fall.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huge fall… he brought it on himself, but had some help from Greg Schiano.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

from 1st rd pick and starter in the NFL to playing in some garbage 3 team league is a pretty far fall.

Makes one wonder how weak does the competition have to be for him to be successful.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see JC’s tenure as a GM will be a short one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude should’ve stayed fat and scrambling. 2010 seems so far away

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The first round pick status just denotes a huge mistake by us. Time has proven it was a huge reach. He was draft because of potential. He was incredibly raw and was drafted for 3 attributes. Decent mobility, large body, and strong arm. Everything else had to be developed, and it never did. 2010 was a fluke that was helped by an incredibly easy schedule and he did his best in 4th quarters when defenses softened up. He had zero success in the NFL. Gotta actually climb somewhere to fall. He was handed the job based upon potential, and never improved in any of the areas where the Bucs though he would improve in over time. He is the same "raw" player he was back in 2009.

Please wait…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.