Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 32 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh McCown not ready to retirePosted by Mike Florio on December 23, 2014, 2:18 PM ESTWhile it’s unclear whether the decision represents good news or bad news for Tampa fans, it’s news regardless.Buccaneers quarterback and friend of PFT (who may not be a friend of PFT after the crack in the opening line to this article) Josh McCown will be back in 2015.“You know what, I try to approach every one of them that way, just so that you get the value, you enjoy the moment, and you know, you get everything out of every game,” McCown said, via JoeBucsFan.com.  “I don’t know if it’s at that point yet.  Obviously, right now, at this point in the season, and your body’s tired and all those things.  But once you get away from it, it kind of resets things.  I feel good.  My plan right now is to keep playing.”After a great performance in 2013 as the injury replacement for Jay Cutler in Chicago, McCown signed a two-year, $10 million deal with the Buccaneers.  He began the season as the starter, but a thumb injury put him out for several weeks.  The ineffectiveness of Mike Glennon resulted in McCown returning to the lineup.For the year, McCown has 2,091 passing yards in 10 games, with 10 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions.  It’s a far cry from his 13 touchdowns against one pick in 2013, but keep in mind that the Bucs lost their offensive coordinator not long before the start of the regular season and had to get by without one the entire year.Maybe next year they can hire Marc Trestman, the possibly-soon-to-be-former Bears coach who replaced Lovie Smith in Tampa.  If Trestman can do with McCown in 2015 what Trestman did with McCown in 2013, the Bucs could run away with the division.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has three options: 1.) Stay on the roster and collect $5.25 million 2.) Get cut and collect a $1 million signing bonus3.) Retire for nothing He's not retiring.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This all fits in with Lovie’s original plan…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please release him. I dont want to watch him, hear him, ponder his thought processes. Please just go away!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please release him. I dont want to watch him, hear him, ponder his thought processes. Please just go away!

They guy is gonna be the 2015 starter unless the rookie QB somehow beats him out in camp. McCown is Lovie's anointed QB until further notice. #LovieLogic

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should cut McCown because we could use the $5 million we would save in cap space elsewhere.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m ready for Josh to retire.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why retire. He is gonna be a starting QB in 2015.

Please wait…

• GARCIAFAN

Participant

I hope this doesn't turn into another Derrick Brooks situation, where a beloved Tampa icon can't admit his skills have deteriorated and it's time for him to retire.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would liked Trestman as OC.  and only then I would be ok with Mclown

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m cool about it if he doesn’t retire. Good for him.However, he had better not be starting for our team next year if he Glazers want my money.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well he looked like a retiree all season long. Those 3 granny passes did it for me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope this doesn't turn into another Derrick Brooks situation, where a beloved Tampa icon can't admit his skills have deteriorated and it's time for him to retire.

I LOL'd

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

I'm cool about it if he doesn't retire. Good for him.However, he had better not be starting for our team next year if he Glazers want my money.

How about if Winston/Mariota are sitting there learning the offense while McCown starts the season?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm cool about it if he doesn't retire. Good for him.However, he had better not be starting for our team next year if he Glazers want my money.

How about if Winston/Mariota are sitting there learning the offense while McCown starts the season?

No. Because you are hurting their development by giving them second team reps.Then you are putting them out there, by what...game three?You draft them, you believe in them and start them, with all the practice you can give in the meantime.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

No. Because you are hurting their development by giving them second team reps.Then you are putting them out there, by what...game three?You draft them, you believe in them and start them, with all the practice you can give in the meantime.

I hear ya, but delaying their debut would give the new O-line a chance to gel also.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hear ya, but delaying their debut would give the new O-line a chance to gel also.

Have they gotten better at all this season??Not dismissing your claim, but they had a whole season to iron out the kinks, and man..they sucked. Do you really believe the can improve without another overhaul? I think it would be just as bad as it has been.Warhop can only own some of that blame. Can't blame him for linemen being completely bowled over, or ran around. Physically, and maybe mentally, they are being beat. We hopefully bring in a better guy than warhop, but I'm doubtful that they get it turned around before midway of next year. Especially if the players aren't adjusted properly, or enough upturn is made, regarding where everyone sits at the line.Here's to hoping lovie (or, hopefully, whoever else) drafts qb #1, then ol, ol, ol, ol, ol, etc.

Please wait…

• hstork

Participant

Mccown has no place in the nfl and definitely not on the bucs in any capacity. He needs to be released as soon as the clock strikes zero against the saints. Worst decision lovie made in the offseason and definitely sent our season down the toilet.

Please wait…

• beckygriffin

Participant

keep him around, even if (when) we draft a qb if we dont drastically improve the oline we’ll still need a body under center to take a beating and id rather it be mcclown than a guy we invested a top 2pick in. also maybe we’ll get another top 2 pick next year too!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

keep him around, even if (when) we draft a qb if we dont drastically improve the oline we'll still need a body under center to take a beating and id rather it be mcclown than a guy we invested a top 2pick in. also maybe we'll get another top 2 pick next year too!!

I going to go out on a limb here and guess you don't sell tickets for the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

keep him around, even if (when) we draft a qb if we dont drastically improve the oline we'll still need a body under center to take a beating and id rather it be mcclown than a guy we invested a top 2pick in. also maybe we'll get another top 2 pick next year too!!

Why would that matter? The people who "work" for the bucs are just glorified bums.They water down drinks, so I'm not shocked that they have been putting a watered down product on the field.Since the whole scenario stinks like five day old gym socks, I'm pretty sure lovie will have mccown starting again next season. How else are the Glazers going to say, "hey, F U fans?"There is always a new and creative way for them to do the next stupid thing, which I'm sure they will. If it sounds smart, lovie isn't going to do it. He's smarter than the rest of us, remember?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would that matter? The people who "work" for the bucs are just glorified bums.They water down drinks, so I'm not shocked that they have been putting a watered down product on the field.Since the whole scenario stinks like five day old gym socks, I'm pretty sure lovie will have mccown starting again next season. How else are the Glazers going to say, "hey, F U fans?"There is always a new and creative way for them to do the next stupid thing, which I'm sure they will. If it sounds smart, lovie isn't going to do it. He's smarter than the rest of us, remember?

I'm not sure how Lovie thinks these days. Most fans wanted to see Mike finish out the season at QB, but he goes with McCown. Rainey should be the RB based on performance and he goes with Martin and Sims. Then we get all the crazy moves at PR and KR. How do we explain all the moves on the o-line the past few weeks?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure how Lovie thinks these days. Most fans wanted to see Mike finish out the season at QB, but he goes with McCown. Rainey should be the RB based on performance and he goes with Martin and Sims. Then we get all the crazy moves at PR and KR. How do we explain all the moves on the o-line the past few weeks?

I think the shortest answer is the best. Lovie is trying to save face.Before that, he didn't care and just wanted to do it his way. Because, you know, "playoff race" and all...I just want to know where these buccaneer hc are going for lunch. It's making them retarded, whatever it is. Lovie makes about as much sense as a bag of pissed off cats. Which is just par for the course for this team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After watching this last game a few times….just to see if I believed my own eyes….I am 100% convinced that McCown is the starter solely to lose…on purpose…no QB who has been in the NFL for 15 years could even remotely suck as much as McCown did last week….not even McCown….as Lovie said, McCown is the QB because he gives the team the best chance to win….get it?….Just like he said repeatedly this week that he will be playing players who have not started all season because they give the team the best chance to win….get it?….Lovie has known for weeks the definition of winning at this point….trust him….and Gilkey…our new starter….*wink.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The best QB in the league (Rogers) rode the pine for over 3 years before he got his chance. Steve Young was crap until he was traded and spent 4 years on the bench before he got his second chance. Let's rush a young QB to failure.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s a nice guy and all but GTFO. I’m sick of his face and his suck ass play on the field. Damn bum. I’m good with Glennon as backup for our young QB. The McCown experiment was doomed from the start.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown has stunned me with how bad he has been. I knew he wasn’t the 104 QBR guy from last year but I thought we’d get mediocre not awful.He is the lowest rated passer in the NFL. He is below Bortles, Smith, Carr, Stanton and, well, everyone else. For Football Outsiders, he is the 42nd rated DYAR passer meaning there are at least 10 backups that must be better than he is at their job - and that includes 1 guy on our roster. He's not "the worst" because Bortles is there but good news in DVOA he is the 43rd rated passer so he's found last in that category.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown isn’t a credible backup.  People gave a lot of flack for Dan Orvlosky but he hasn’t ever been this bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All season ticket holders should wait to renew their pass until the last minute if they plan to start the clown next year again. I suppose the only way to pressure the owners to make changes is the ticket sale. So guys wait until preseason, there will be still good seats available.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh McCown. Hired gun. Who wants the number 1 pick next year? McCown can bring that to you….for a price.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Have they gotten better at all this season??Not dismissing your claim, but they had a whole season to iron out the kinks, and man..they sucked. Do you really believe the can improve without another overhaul? I think it would be just as bad as it has been.Warhop can only own some of that blame. Can't blame him for linemen being completely bowled over, or ran around. Physically, and maybe mentally, they are being beat. We hopefully bring in a better guy than warhop, but I'm doubtful that they get it turned around before midway of next year. Especially if the players aren't adjusted properly, or enough upturn is made, regarding where everyone sits at the line.Here's to hoping lovie (or, hopefully, whoever else) drafts qb #1, then ol, ol, ol, ol, ol, etc.

You missed a small but important word in my post.I hear ya, but delaying their debut would give the new O-line a chance to gel also.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He doesn’t have to but he does have to accept the back-up role again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What about now?I don't want him back as a player at all. He can be a rah rah cheerleader for some other team

Please wait…

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.