Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 37 reply threads

• Author

• Trask Force

Participant

The Bucs obviously have a plan for finding cap money for the return of Gronk. But what if, God forbid, Gronk doesn’t return? That would not be good. There’s no doubt we want Gronk back. But if he doesn’t return there’s the matter of the $10 mil or whatever that was being reserved for Gronk.

Does that give the Bucs the opportunity to sign Jones? He obviously would be a part-time #4 WR once Godwin comes back, but he would have to command more than the minimum. He’s still costing the Falcons $13 mil off their 2022 cap. Would he play for the Bucs for say $7 mil, and would the Bucs be interested in doing that?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

if Jarvis Landry is valued at $3 million with incentives to get to $5, 6 million than i would have to think a recently oft injured Julio Jones would be at the same contract

Clearly, Brady is on board since he reached out via Instagram so if he is ok with lack of targets and chasing a ring, why not get somebody TB12 can trust.

i’m all for it considering nobody stepped up in the absence of Godwin/AB the last month of our season.

Either via players having one big play and not staying healthy (Grayson, Perriman), terrible draft picks (JD) or guys that had a few big players in our super bowl year (Miller/Tyler Johnson); is there really a valid sensible argument not to add a veteran as depth in this all in “Brady last hoorah championship run”

• RHBucsFan

Participant

We should of picked up Landry for that $3m number

• BadabingBucs

Participant

We should of picked up Landry for that $3m number

yeah and it’s not like he joined a WR room that wasn’t crowded with Michael Thomas, Chris Olave, Marquez Callaway.

He likely slots in at the top 3.

The Bucs did invest a sizable amount for Gage so it could be that he was the clear cut 4th option if they had any interest at all.

I see the Bucs more interested in a bargain oft injured player that may want to play with Tom – Julio, Edelman, or Odell

so of those 3, gimme Julio lol

Tom wants a vet

• RHBucsFan

Participant

OBJ had much better production than Julio last year but he’s coming off a later ACL year than Godwin.

I also think Landry is the best receiver on NO. Thomas has been injured of late and Olave is just a name for now. We really screwed up not pursuing him, even worse that we have to face him twice now.

• delgreco

Participant

A few good comments here

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Brady texted julio about playing in tampa.

Would fill in nicely as the #2 while godwin recovers.

Then gage can play his preferred slot role.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Evans, Gage, Perriman/Grayson will be just fine until Godwin is 100%.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Perriman/Grayson had a combined 3-4 good games last season. Pardon me if I’m not overly convinced that they are a solid solution at the #3.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Julio would be amazing to add if the salary cap wasn’t a thing and we didn’t have other glaring needs.

But unless he takes the vet minimum and is ok being wr4 I just don’t see it happening given our current cap issues and needing to still sign Gronk etc.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Get gronk back first then you can worry about whatever after that.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Perriman/Grayson had a combined 3-4 good games last season. Pardon me if I’m not overly convinced that they are a solid solution at the #3.

And, Julio had one good game last season.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

I agree!
        I was saying we should of pursued Jarvis Landry.

• Barnz1

Participant

Evans, Gage, Perriman/Grayson will be just fine until Godwin is 100%.

Just fine won’t be good enough in a receiver driven offense.

Perriman and Grayson are average to below average NFL WR’s. Most teams have equal or better players in their 3-5 spots.

Grayson is especially overhyped by many including the guys on PR podcast. He had 200 yards and maybe a handful of good plays in his “career season” last season.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I agree.

Perriman and Miller can run fly routes no problem except they both have suspect hands. Julio due to his injuries can not cut like he used to. But Julio can still run effective fly routes and has the surer hands.

Last year in Tenn Julio caught 64.6% of passes thrown his way. S. Miller was 55.6 while Perriman was 61.6%.

Build the trenches!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

The GM of this team wants Julio, well gosh darn it……Tommy is going to get him!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

I agree.

Perriman and Miller can run fly routes no problem except they both have suspect hands. Julio due to his injuries can not cut like he used to. But Julio can still run effective fly routes and has the surer hands.

Last year in Tenn Julio caught 64.6% of passes thrown his way. S. Miller was 55.6 while Perriman was 61.6%.

the bottom line is that nobody stepped up last year when AB went looney and Godwin went down

This prevented Tom from #8. This upset Tom. Tom doesn’t forget

I would be surprised if the Bucs didn’t add a vet at some point next year

i would think Julio but could also see Odell in the November timeframe as well.

i think they get more value adding a guy that can play now given Godwin injury and maybe not having to rush him back.

Going in with no or an out of shape Gronk and just Gage and Evans doesn’t seem ideal.

all the other guys in our WR room are just that….JAGs. We remember them for a big play here and there but they are average to below average at best.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Perriman, Miller or Grayson are fine as #4 WRs as they are all mismatches against dime defenders. But when put up against nickel CBs I am not so sure. Miller has had his moments and Perriman still can be a mismatch against nickel defenders due to his size. But that inconsistency is not something to bank on.

Julio into the fold allows Perriman, Miller or Grayson to slide into the #4 role until Godwin returns. And then having Gage rotate with Godwin is a plus to having Julio on the roster as a boundary WR. That way the workload isn’t too heavy on Godiwn when he returns.

Plus at that point a dime defender going up against Julio or Gage is a clear mismatch and win for this offense.

Build the trenches!

• Kermit56

Participant

With all respect to TB12 and PR posters, please don’t sign Juli-“ow”. Use the money on defense depth if there are no other options.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

With all respect to TB12 and PR posters, please don’t sign Juli-“ow”. Use the money on defense depth if there are no other options.

He’ll probably end up on IR before he scores his first TD.

• Trask Force

Participant

It’s a big risk, as was the AB signing. It depends on what you are paying him. You need to get him for a bargain basement or incentive laden deal so that if he doesn’t work out it doesn’t hurt the team. Jones doesn’t need the money and nobody is going to pay him a lot anyway, so the question is how fire is left in the belly? How much does he want to play for a chance to win the Superbowl? If he doesn’t play for cheap, he might as well retire, and that may be what happens.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

It’s a big risk, as was the AB signing. It depends on what you are paying him. You need to get him for a bargain basement or incentive laden deal so that if he doesn’t work out it doesn’t hurt the team. Jones doesn’t need the money and nobody is going to pay him a lot anyway, so the question is how fire is left in the belly? How much does he want to play for a chance to win the Superbowl? If he doesn’t play for cheap, he might as well retire, and that may be what happens.

I think the favorites to land him are the Colts, then Packers, then the Bucs.

If anything, he would get a deal similar to Landry – 3 million with another 2-3 in incentives. Could be less as i would expect that to the ceiling given his injury issues the last 2 years.

really depends on how much he values chasing a Superbowl (i.e. McCoy/Sherman with the Bucs). He would have to understand that he is simply here for injury insurance and will be the 4th WR with heavier playing time in the first half of the year while Godwin is rehabbing.

So in looking at those options, he’d get more playing time with the Colts and Packers but it’s friggin cold in Green Bay and the Colts are “maybe” a playoff team in the AFC.

In Tampa, with Brady, he’s guaranteed a shot at a championship ring, no state income tax, warm weather, and to be honest not as much wear and tear on the body if he isn’t getting alot of playing time.

We would basically be offering him the same money he’s get in the other teams but less playing time. So again yeah it comes down to how much he values winning a Super Bowl and he would still contribute more so than Sherman or McCoy.

i could see him going to the Colts but at that point he chose playing time over better chance of Superbowl

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Bucs are certainly the most tempting of the 3 if he wants a ring!

• Swash

Participant

We are more than equipped heading into the season with the stable of WR’s we have on the roster. That room got hit hard again by injury last year but I don’t see a need for an injury prone X Receiver who doesn’t play special teams. The limited cap room should be allocated to Gronk, a veteran DT, and maybe some linebacker depth.

I don’t care what the Vegas odds are, looking at this roster, unless there is another major injury during training camp/preseason Julio Jones is not a fit on the Buccaneers

• Swash

Participant

Don’t overthink it:

Evans
      Godwin
      Gage
      Miller
      Perriman
      Grayson
      One of the midgets to take roster spot while Godwin heals up.

There’s your WR room.

• Vance

Participant

@swash

Don’t overthink it:

Evans – Will always be on the field (LOVE)
        Godwin – Will his production be the same (?)
        Gage – Will be very good for Tampa (LOVE)
        Miller – One trick pony. Inconsistent, I (HATE)
        Perriman – Would rather have Jones (?)
        Grayson – Sky is the limit for this guy. Can he stay healthy (LOVE)

I’ll add Johnson – Does he love football? Has the body and skill set (?)
        Darden- ehhhhhhh (??????) lost

There’s your WR room.

• Kermit56

Participant

The limited cap room should be allocated to Gronk, a veteran DT, and maybe some linebacker depth.

I don’t care what the Vegas odds are, looking at this roster, unless there is another major injury during training camp/preseason Julio Jones is not a fit on the Buccaneers

I like what you’re preaching, Swash.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Don’t overthink it:

Evans
      Godwin
      Gage
      Miller
      Perriman
      Grayson

There’s your WR room.

As much as I’d love to cut darden too early to give up on him.

Slim to none chance he doesn’t make the 53.

• Swash

Participant

*see “one of the midgets”*

I don’t see him beating out Miller.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I like Darden’s potential but given the current WR situation I see him having a hard time making the squad.

Evans
      Godwin
      Gage
      Perriman
      Miller
      Grayson
      Johnson

Those are the top seven right now with others competing to sneak in like Darden, Jonsen, Thompkins, and Sterns. Please note that Miller is the only undersized WR of that “top seven” and Miller has major speed. Also, Miller has shown he is willing to play special teams now.

If Miller, Grayson or Johnson take a step back then one of the undersized WRs like Darden, Thompkins or Sterns could sneak in.

Build the trenches!

• The Freeman

Participant

Godwin should start the season on PUP, Johnson and Perriman size could make the difference over the “midgets” group (Geiger is 5’10, Grayson and Miller are 5’9, Darden 5’8, Sterns and Thompkins 5’7).

Godwin could miss half of the season (or more?) and he’ll need time to regain his cutting ability on routes…
      we may not see the real Godwin in 2022 and we’re all-in again, so Julio could be worth a shot for the right price.
      (hard to get used to the idea of no longer having the luxury of 3 Pro Bowler receivers in our starting lineup!)
      do not exclude an OBJ if Gronk retires.

i’m not worried about the 4th and 6th spot, what’s the probability of another down year for Johnson, Perriman and Miller (+ Grayson taking a step back)?
      i’m confident that at least one of them will bounce back… Miller’s healthy, Johnson’s in football shape and Perriman will have the TC to build some chemistry with Brady.

still not convinced Darden is the 5th guy (=returner), but he could be the 6th (inactive on game day) that you don’t want to expose on the practice squad, we’ll see if there is a better returner among the new toys or if they’ll have to search a new one after a disappointing pre-season.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I feel strongly that since Godwin will be out a bit that Johnson and Perriman make the initial 53 man roster. Need WRs that can play on the outside. Gage can do it as well and I expect Evans to be kicked inside in the slot to mix things up. But overall it will come down to what Scotty Miller does IMO. if Miller rebounds and continues his special teams progress he makes the team as he is a mismatch against most nickel and dime defenders.

Build the trenches!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

7 WRs make the team to start – final spot comes down to JD, Grayson and Miller

If other players win KR/PR battle, JD is cut. Offers nothing as a receiver

If not, I’m guessing they keep Miller and try to stash Grayson on practice squad

If the Bucs sign Julio Jones, they 2 out of the aforementioned are practice squad/cut

Depends on Godwin status, if he is going to miss anywhere anytime to start the season, given tough schedule, Bucs will sign a vet WR

If not, Bucs might sign OBJ in Novemberish for playoff run

Either way I see them overloading for final run

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Evans
      Godwin
      Gage
      Perriman
      Grayson
      Miller
      Johnson

We’re fine, especially if Gronk comes back.

Don’t need Julio.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Evans
      Godwin
      Gage
      Perriman
      Grayson
      Miller
      Johnson

Don’t need Julio.

I would agree but does Tom Brady agree?

I guess we will find out

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Evans
      Godwin
      Gage
      Perriman
      Grayson
      Miller
      Johnson

Don’t need Julio.

I would agree but does Tom Brady agree?

I guess we will find out

Doubtful lol

“But godwins ahead of track!”

Don’t care. Hes not healthy.

Last year proved can never have too many weapons!

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Well to update Jonsen was cut and Miller is out injured again for first day of mini camp.

I suspect after mini camp the WR landscape for the Bucs may change with Darden actually showing signs of life so far. But it is too early to tell.

I think the team evaluates what they have now and may decided to bring in a WR before training camp.

Build the trenches!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Well to update Jonsen was cut and Miller is out injured again for first day of mini camp.

I suspect after mini camp the WR landscape for the Bucs may change with Darden actually showing signs of life so far. But it is too early to tell.

I think the team evaluates what they have now and may decided to bring in a WR before training camp.

it’s Brady’s last harrah so i just dont them having the patience

if we had a vet shell of them self receiver in the Rams game, we likely win that game. So many drops in that first half

so it boils down to this, do the Bucs think they have enough to make up for Godwin injury for first 4 games. if they do, then count on OBJ in November. if they dont, i’d expect Julio signing in July

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Go ahead and sign Julio.

He’ll be on IR by Week 3.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Us not signing Jarvis Landry for his crazy low number is a travesty. He would have been an amazing fit here.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Go ahead and sign Julio.

great…just in time for Godwin’s return

Could be the difference between 3-0 and 1-2 and a first round bye

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Go ahead and sign Julio.

great…just in time for Godwin’s return

Could be the difference between 3-0 and 1-2 and a first round bye

Lol.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.