Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• BerubesBucs

Participant

Am I the only one thinking this? Can’t recall specific examples off the top of my head but there have been a LOT of ticky tacky calls that had huge impacts in games I’ve watched up to this point. Not just in Bucs games. Other games as well...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Same crap to me. Saints got robbed on that Melton recovery, IMO. But hey, when do we ever get breaks?  Seriously?We get a crapton of bad calls though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The crew from week1 Bucs/Titans game is calling MNF Colts/Jets…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They are trying to protect the players, too many injuries.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Same crap to me. Saints got robbed on that Melton recovery, IMO. But hey, when do we ever get breaks?  Seriously?We get a crapton of bad calls though.

im not speaking just on the Bucs games. Saints got some bad calls against them yesterday. I have Sunday ticket and I dont ever let my tv sit on commercials. If The Bucs are on commercial, I'm flipping through. I have just seen an enormous amount of game changing calls so far this year. And they have all sucked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Monday night football might turn into a 5hr game with this crew

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A user on Reddit made a good post about the increase in penalties.To visual a bit better, user LMAbacus created a chart showing Week 2 was a very abnormal. qczzMNB.pngFor more information on penalties, check here: http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes! I knew it!

A user on Reddit made a good post about the increase in penalties.To visual a bit better, user LMAbacus created a chart showing Week 2 was a very abnormal. qczzMNB.pngFor more information on penalties, check here: http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes! I knew it!

That chart is unbelievable.  What does that work out to, like 50+ more penalties than any other week?  Wow!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it were up to me, I’d double the amount of officials currently being used, this way they won’t miss any calls ever. I’d probably also replace whistles with foghorns. If we can stretch games to about 6-7 hours, that would be ideal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it were up to me, I'd double the amount of officials currently being used, this way they won't miss any calls ever. I'd probably also replace whistles with foghorns. If we can stretch games to about 6-7 hours, that would be ideal.

They should also have brooms and tennis racquets to harass players...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Saints got robbed on that Melton recovery, IMO.

robbed?  ha.  learn the lesson of a freight train known as CONTE!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

miss those replacement refs yet?  NFL should have never caved to this group

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It gets worse every year. The basis for calling penalties for years has gone from “what the ref actually SEES” to what “he thinks he might have seen” and interpreting (at game speed, no less) what a players “intent” was, et al. IOW, the calls are largely subjective, not so much objective…   I was reading the other day Larry Csonka, the bruising Dolphin FB of the '70's, no longer watched NFL football, as it had become such a pansy sport...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I disagree. He clearly had possession of the ball and both of his forearms were down as he was sliding out of bounds. What kills me is watching a long run/return get called back for some b/s penalty. We've seen this against both sides. I get that they are trying to protect players, but HTF does throwing a penalty flag for holding help do that? They are ruining the game with this crap. Even the announcers see it. I don't know how many times I heard "they just need to let the players play" on sunday and it wasn't just for the Bucs game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Refs are throwing far too many flags this season. I look for – and expect – a flag after any decent play. Then I see the replay and just shake my head. Melton was in. The bad call against the Saints was the roughing call. Vacccaro hugged Winston's legs and got flagged.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL has totally overcomplicated the game with its multitude of new rules.  You can watch games where you will have flags on 5 or 6 consecutive plays! The biggest problem for me is pass interference.  Gruden says this all the time on MNF, and I wholeheartedly agree, that pass interference should be OBVIOUS.  For instance, Browner interfering with Louis Murphy in the endzone last week.  Where the defender actually contacts and disrupts the other player’s ability to catch the ball.  Guys touch each other on every play, doesn’t mean it is interference.  For instance, last week VJax was called for OPI in the endzone.  His had was on the guy, but if you watch it, there is no way he pushed the defender or interfered with his ability to make a play.  Guy was out of position and it was a perfect pass.The problem is that the refs focus on these so called "points of emphasis" that result in these highly technical calls that are inconsistently applied.  My least favorite is the how frequently pass interference is called on plays where the pass is underthrown and the WR runs into the defender, who almost always has good position, to try and get back to the ball.  How is that a penalty?!  The throw is bad.  The quality of the throw matters -- for example, if it is overthrown by 10 yards, it doesn't matter how blatant the interference is, it is uncatchable and no foul.  Using this rule basically says that a bad throw can negate good positioning by a defender.  Stupid.  The same with the abundance of flags that get thrown when a defender has his hand on the back of a receiver.  Did it interfere?  Did the arm turn the receiver or interfere with his ability to catch.  A ton of great defensive plays get penalized by lazy officiating on those plays.The "defenseless receiver" and "controlling the catch" rules rely on an ambiguous "make a football move" rule that is not consistently enforced and is counter-intuitive.  How about ground can't cause fumbles and two feet down with control is a catch?  That is easy.  Defenseless receiver?  Rule assumes the offensive player has a greater right to the ball than the defender has to break it up.  If you hit a guy with your helmet, etc. it is a personal foul.  Defenseless receiver calls are unnecessary.  The QB rules are even worse.  Can't hit high, can't hit low. When the league gets smart and gets a new commissioner, I hope he (or she) decides to go through and simplify the rulebook and then pays refs year round so these calls can get consistent.  With betting, fantasy, one week/day fantasy leagues---fans have more money than ever riding on NFL games.  Bad/suspect officiating will prove to be bad for business unless they clean it up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Robbed?  The call was close and probably correct.  The call against "Jack" Smith for roughing the passer was BS.  So was that tripping call on the screen pass to Martin.  Those were two huge calls that went the Saints way and both highly debatable.A call that was not made was a big gain for the Saints on a sweep to the left when they clipped the heck out of our DE.  That was right in front of the refs and led to a big gain for the Saints.The MNF game was hard to watch...refs took the game completely over.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can’t say about the NFL as a whole because I pretty much only watch the Bucs’ games. In the bucs' games the penalty on the first play from scrimmage has really darkened my outlook. Plus, we don't get the replays I'm used to so it's hard to say. There's been some stinkers for sure.

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

The crew from week1 Bucs/Titans game is calling MNF Colts/Jets...

The MNF group had just as many bad / questionable calls as Sunday. Even Gruden was commenting about the questionable calls.Out of the whole group of soft calls Monday, my biggest gripe was the one where the dude on the Jets defense, (can't remember who), was called for a penalty for tackling Luck around the head / neck. Yeah, his hands were there for a second, but the replay shows he mainly sacked him from pulling on his jersey.The NFL is already way too soft on protecting QBs and WRs. If it gets any worse, the only sacks allowed will be if you can huff and puff and blow the QB over. Either that, or put a couple velcro flags around his waist. It's getting to be close to flag football anyway, may as well take it to the next step. :)

Please wait…

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.