Viewing 52 reply threads

• Author

• Defense5599

Blocked

Who would you rather have? If I had my choice, I’d take Hunt. He’s younger, has more upside, and it will take only money to get him and a lot less of it due to his situation with that woman. At best, he faces a three game hiatus, at worst, six games. After that, he can be unleashed. With him running, it will keep secondaries honest and create more opportunities downfield for Jameis.

Please wait…

• Mark

Participant

Duh

Please wait…

• Tjax03

Participant

Hunt but we HAVE to get a better Oline. Im talking Colts, Cowboys, Steelers level Oline.

Who is our Oline coach anyways?

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

Hunt. And I’m a HUGE Le’veon Bell fan. But Hunt is younger, would come cheaper, and at least I can believe he cares about football and his team. Bell is out for himself and his money alone, which is fine. More power to you. But you quit on your team and can’t be trusted. Plus while both of these guys have had trouble off the field, 1 of them is a repeat offender and it ain’t Hunt.

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

Do you people realize we have no cap room and Humphries and Smith are unsigned

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

That’s why Hunt is the obvious answer. He would get below the vet minimum because he hasn’t accrued enough seasons. If I’m not mistaken you can essentially sign him to a futures deal if you wanted to.

Please wait…

• Pepsi

Participant

Hunt would be best value. Coleman would be ideal for age and still not cap breaking money. Unless the Oline is waay better, Coleman may be better than Hunt anyway, hes more explosive. Hunt is deceptive, he appears to be a violent powerful runner but hes really not, hes got exceptional balance which gives the illusion of power. Not a knock on him, but Im a little concerned about how good hed be behind our Oline, not sure it would look like KC Hunt.

Please wait…

• Pepsi

Participant

We do realize that.. but our Cap situation is very flexible, theres not telling who were releasing and resigning but their are ton of options for them to go about making some room.

very good change Djax is gone, there 10 mil. Decent chance McCoy is gone, theres 13mil. thats 23,000,000 returned back to our capspace in a blink of an eye.

And then theres Curry, Brate, Dotson, Gholston all wildcards right now. And we dont even know if what theyre going to do with D.Smith for sure.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

That’s why Hunt is the obvious answer. He would get below the vet minimum because he hasn’t accrued enough seasons. If I’m not mistaken you can essentially sign him to a futures deal if you wanted to.

Cap room, schmap room.   We can easily get under the cap by trading/releasing a few guys.   Get rid of G-Mac and suddenly we have enough room to work out deals with Smith, Hump and Hunt.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Get rid of G-Mac and suddenly we have enough room to work out deals with Smith, Hump and Hunt.

Really?

And, how do you suppose that work?

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Hunt. And I’m a HUGE Le’veon Bell fan. But Hunt is younger, would come cheaper, and at least I can believe he cares about football and his team. Bell is out for himself and his money alone, which is fine. More power to you. But you quit on your team and can’t be trusted. Plus while both of these guys have had trouble off the field, 1 of them is a repeat offender and it ain’t Hunt.

Wow.  Hunt didn’t let down his team?  Where was he in the championship game?  Oh he was kicked off the team.  But Bell is the one letting his team down because he didn’t have a contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

no way in hell do the Bucs even need to be thinking about Bell…..they can’t afford him….he’ll be in a decline in 2-3 seasons…if the Bucs were on the verge of a SB, then maybe, but this team has a lot of needs to address other than RB w/ whatever $$$ they have available……

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Wow. Hunt didn’t let down his team? Where was he in the championship game? Oh he was kicked off the team. But Bell is the one letting his team down because he didn’t have a contract.

He never said that Hunt didn’t let down his team. He said he didn’t quit on his team.

Big difference.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

agree–Arians believes in second-chances. Got a few early in his adulthood. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s looking at Hunt. Bucs will have to deal w/ the PR repercussions of having someone w/ history of kicking/hitting women on the field.

Please wait…

• jcaulfield8

Participant

If You think someone is signing Kareem hunt for under the vet Minimum you are on serious drugs

Please wait…

• tog

Participant

I’d suggest being leary of over-projecting both Hunt and Bell given the success that other RBs have had.

Especially in KC. Reid has replaced Charles with West with Ware with Hunt with Williams.

The one mis-step was West. But every other RB has been hyper-productive in that system. Hell, Williams season when projected to 16 games would’ve only been beat by Gurley’s.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

work on the OL, make it robust, and you’ll see the QB, RBs, WRs, TE have career seasons –you don’t need to overpay Bell or lower your standards and pick up Hunt do you?

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

I’d suggest being leary of over-projecting both Hunt and Bell given the success that other RBs have had.

Especially in KC. Reid has replaced Charles with West with Ware with Hunt with Williams.

The one mis-step was West. But every other RB has been hyper-productive in that system. Hell, Williams season when projected to 16 games would’ve only been beat by Gurley’s.

Both RB’s also had good QB’s.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

work on the OL, make it robust, and you’ll see the QB, RBs, WRs, TE have career seasons –you don’t need to overpay Bell or lower your standards and pick up Hunt do you?

At the expense of what?   D-Line and D-Backs are more pressing needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At the expense of what? D-Line and D-Backs are more pressing needs.

Haven’t the Bucs spent a few dollars on free agents and high draft choices on these positions the past decade as well as paying McCoy about > $100-$150/mil for his time on the team?    The age-old argument, which is more important a defense or offense is left for another thread. I think this thread  is about generating a consistent, high octane offense.

Bell and Hunt behind a crappy line gets you Peyton Barber, Doug Martin stats.

Please wait…

• DerekPHFD

Participant

I guess if it came down to it a price to pay I would go with hunt. Say what you will about production from replacements but I would say Pittsburgh is a playoff team with bell over Connor and Kansas City is in the super bowl with Hunt. I may be wrong but you don’t gameplan for Connor and Williams like you do bell and Hunt. Maybe stats look the same, but when a player gets big numbers when the defense is set up to stop you as apposed to the d set up to stop others first makes a difference.

Please wait…

• Nobody

Participant

I guess if it came down to it a price to pay I would go with hunt. Say what you will about production from replacements but I would say Pittsburgh is a playoff team with bell over Connor and Kansas City is in the super bowl with Hunt. I may be wrong but you don’t gameplan for Connor and Williams like you do bell and Hunt. Maybe stats look the same, but when a player gets big numbers when the defense is set up to stop you as apposed to the d set up to stop others first makes a difference.

If the running game, and the running backs were as productive and more efficient than last eyar…I assume the hypothesis here is:

“The passing game suffered from an efficiency or production standpoint due to the opposing teams spending more time gameplanning for it.”

That is pretty easy to examine the evidence:

1) Ben had more yards and more TDs than at any point in his career.

2) Ben’s Quarterback Rating was his best in 4 years, one of the best of his career, and above his career average.

3) Ben’s QBR was the 2nd best of his career and welllllll above his average QBR.

4) Ben’s Int % was his best in 5 years and well below his career average.

5) Ben’s Sack % was the 2nd best of his career and almost cut in half his career %.

6) Ben’s Completion % was the 2nd best of his career.

This team lost 4 of its last 6 games (going 9-6-1) because it found new and interesting ways to beat itself (fumbles, couldn’t get key stops, penalties, RZ, kicking game)…the exact way we do! Its offense was prolific.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Wow. Hunt didn’t let down his team? Where was he in the championship game? Oh he was kicked off the team. But Bell is the one letting his team down because he didn’t have a contract.

He never said that Hunt didn’t let down his team. He said he didn’t quit on his team.

Big difference.

Bell didn’t have a contract.  You can’t just say “Get out there and play.”  This is the pros, not the Army.  Its a business and Bell didn’t sign the contract.  Thats not letting down your team. The Steelers tried to franchise tag him twice and he wasn’t going to have it.   I don’t blame him for not going along with it.  I don’t blame the Steelers for not wanting to pay his demands. They could have just traded him or cut him loose and he would be playing for some team in the NFL and being a good teammate and not letting down his team.  But the Steelers wanted to take advantage of the bargaining agreement to coerce him into playing under their terms and it backfired.  Its on them as much as it is on Bell. If Bell just came out of the blue with this, then I would agree with you.  But the Steelers tried to tag him twice in a row, and he’s a running back who’s peak years will be over soon.  He has the right to try to get a contract.  This is contract stuff, and its not letting down your team.

I guess I side with Bell because the Steelers tried to force him to play and he basically just said no nobody is going to force me to do anything.

Please wait…

• DerekPHFD

Participant

Nobody, he also threw 70 more passes than he has ever thrown, and had the second most interceptions of his career. Also, teams were gearing to stop the pass and I think it allowed more open space for Connor to gain stats. We were the number 1 passing attack in the nfl this year. Teams knew what we were going to do and we should have been able to run the ball more effectively. Is it personal in the running back room? The o line? Coaching? I love reading you anylasis on everything, so I’m looking forward to your opinion.

Please wait…

• Hate

Participant

your point??

By the way, I’m firmly in the Hunt camp

Please wait…

• Nobody

Participant

For us last year?

Our running woes (like pretty much all things) were multifaceted:

1) First and foremost is personnel, and overwhelmingly so. DSmith, Jensen, Dot were all poor. Benenoch put some of the worst OG play on the field you’ll ever see. This isn’t just about ability, but also attitude. Everyone on the line not finishing blocks is a contagion. The inverse is also true.

2) There is strong evidence to suggest Warhop’s coaching is a problem.

3) Run game coordinating. DK (and staff) have a tendency to want to be too multifaceted n the run game. He runs an extreme diversity of running plays (all 3 schemes including various Leads) and will run them weak or strong, left or right, from unbalanced sets and a lot of short motion with TE and Flanker.

In my opinion it’s too much. If your personnel is bad up front in the run game, you find out what they’re good at…and you run that…over and over…with subtle differences in formation and minor nuance.

Less is more.

So it’s really the opposite of “predictable play-calling” when it comes to the run game. It’s expecting too much broad competency from guys who aren’t good.

Finally, minor misuse of personnel with OJ. OJ is an absolutely fantastic move blocker in the run game (and a great pass protector). However, he’s just ok as an in-line PoA blocker. We used him too much in the latter and not enough in the former (and using him more in the former has knock-on effects whereby you can run PA off the same look and have, for instance, OJ fake a Lead or slide under the formation to fake a kick out on the unblocked backside DE and then release to flat). Don’t get me wrong. He was used in this way, but more as a wrinkle than as a feature. It should be the inverse. He should be featured that way.

4) RB play (last on the list). For the most part, Barber played well with what he had last year. However, I can recall probably 5-7 Zone carries where the play was blocked well or the cutback was available and he just misread it. Some of those plays should have gone for chunk yardage.

Please wait…

• Hate

Participant

Barber is average at best…a great #2. I want a upper echelon 3 down back and Hunt is that guy.

Please wait…

• Nobody

Participant

Hunt is a great football player. There can be no doubt about that.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Bucs fans, just know that you probably haven’t seen the last of Hunt’s problems.  If he keeps his nose clean thats great. I’ll be happy for him and everyone who doesn’t get punched and kicked. But you really shouldn’t be surprised if he has more problems. The hotel incident is hardly isolated.  You better have faith in the Bucs to be able to do a better job of keeping Hunt out of trouble than the Chefs did.

Here are some excerpts from USA Today article “Family of former Kansas City Chiefs star Kareem Hunt has history of criminal behavior”

….he (Kareem Hunt) grew up being celebrated for his exploits on the field and where his father and other family members are known for something else — their extensive criminal records.

Hunt’s father, also named Kareem Hunt, has been arrested at least 35 times in northeast Ohio and multiple times on charges of domestic violence, according to records obtained by USA TODAY. Most of the felony convictions were for drug-related offenses. He was sentenced to a combined nine years in prison on nine felony convictions……

Even before Kareem Hunt admitted he lied to the Chiefs prior to TMZ posting the video of his Feb. 10 altercation with a 19-year-old woman at a Cleveland hotel, there were missteps. 

In 2011, when Hunt was 16, he was one of four teenage boys in a car when a police officer in Willoughby approached because of suspicious behavior and discovered .38 grams of marijuana and a marijuana grinder, according to a juvenile report obtained from the Willoughby Police Department. The report states that the car’s driver, Matthew A. Hendricks, said the marijuana and grinder were his and his friends, including Hunt, had nothing to do with it….

In 2015 while he was at Toledo, Hunt was suspended for the first two games of his junior season for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Though Hunt has not been charged with a crime, the NFL is investigating three incidents in the past year in which he allegedly was involved in physical altercations — with the woman at a Cleveland hotel in February, with a man at an Ohio resort in June and with another man at a Kansas City club in January…

… “You see the tape and it just kind of breaks your heart,’’ said Louis Ayeni, who coached Hunt at Toledo and is now an assistant coach at Northwestern, referring to the security video from the Cleveland hotel. “He’s so likeable and when he knows you, he’s a really giving, caring person. But his choices and his actions put him in this situation right now.’’

Please wait…

• Jed

Participant

“He’s so likeable and when he knows you, he’s a really giving, caring person.” 

The problem is when he doesn’t know you and gets angry at you. How does he handle this?

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Eagles in the hunt, no pun intended.

Philly Voice’s Jimmy Kempski considers the Eagles a landing spot for free agent Kareem Hunt.
      This isn’t the first time the Eagles have been connected to Hunt. The league is expected to hand down Hunt’s suspension before the start of free agency, so there should be clarity on his status in the coming weeks. Hunt is likely to have interest from multiple teams.

Please wait…

• Yensumi

Participant

I would rather have Hunt as well because we all know Bell does not care for his teammates, he’s younger and obviously cheaper. Hunt is also a repeat offender by alligations which in my opinion are true. I could care less I just want a Super Bowl in Tampa in 2020!

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

I would rather have Hunt as well because we all know Bell does not care for his teammates, he’s younger and obviously cheaper. Hunt is also a repeat offender by alligations which in my opinion are true. I could care less I just want a Super Bowl in Tampa in 2020!

But maybe you would care more if he was suspended?  Every time he does something he will get suspended.  They are already investigating three incidents.  So he will be suspended 4 to 6 games out of the gate minimum.  I don’t know much about the other two incidents.  Then any further incidents will be probably the rest of the season and then some.  So enjoy the Peyton Barber and Ronald Jones show in 2019 if we sign Hunt.  I agree we are really shooting to do something in 2020.  Do you really think Tampa Bay is the place where a troubled player will settle down and stay out of trouble?  Sure its possible..  There’s always a first time!

Please wait…

• tampaspicer

Participant

The argument that Tampa is trouble is bullshit. Every major city offers opportunity for someone looking for trouble to find it.

Please wait…

• Chesapeake Bay Bucco

Participant

Neither cancer needs to be here

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

The argument that Tampa is trouble is bullshit. Every major city offers opportunity for someone looking for trouble to find it.

I’m not criticizing Tampa Bay.  I live here.  Its more the organization than the city.  All I’m saying is name one player who has been reclaimed from the behavior scrap heap here in Tampa.

Please wait…

• tampaspicer

Participant

I’m not criticizing Tampa Bay. I live here. Its more the organization than the city. All I’m saying is name one player who has been reclaimed from the behavior scrap heap here in Tampa.

Talib is the only one that comes to mind of the top of my head. My opinion is if you can’t stay out of trouble in Tampa your chances is other cities decreases dramatically.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Disagree with the bolded part. That KC defense was terrible, hence Sutton getting his walking papers soon after.

Please wait…

• blind melon

Participant

Good thread.

I picked Hunt, he has lots of positives if he can keep his self in check.

Bell is a non-starter for a variety of reasons (Diva, Cost, etc.)

O-line needs help first – or no RB is running wild on the Bucs.

I expect Arians will pick up a back or two (that can catch) this off season.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Good thread.

I picked Hunt, he has lots of positives if he can keep his self in check.

Bell is a non-starter for a variety of reasons (Diva, Cost, etc.)

O-line needs help first – or no RB is running wild on the Bucs.

I expect Arians will pick up a back or two (that can catch) this off season.

Agree with all of this. Particularly the part in bold.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

Tampa is known for its nightlife, something not all NFL cities are known for.   Notice that when these guys get in trouble, it always happens at night.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Tampa is known for its nightlife, something not all NFL cities are known for. Notice that when these guys get in trouble, it always happens at night.

Aside from maybe two or three, the overwhelming majority of NFL markets have recognizable “night lifes”.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

I guess I side with Bell because the Steelers tried to force him to play and he basically just said no nobody is going to force me to do anything.

This is a bit of an odd take. I say that because the Steelers offered him a multi-year deal at being the highest paid RB in NFL history. The contract they offered him had more money in it that both David Johnson’s and Todd Gurley’s. To say that the “Steelers tried to force him to play” is rather disingenuous.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Bucs fans, just know that you probably haven’t seen the last of Hunt’s problems. If he keeps his nose clean thats great. I’ll be happy for him and everyone who doesn’t get punched and kicked. But you really shouldn’t be surprised if he has more problems. The hotel incident is hardly isolated. You better have faith in the Bucs to be able to do a better job of keeping Hunt out of trouble than the Chefs did.

Here are some excerpts from USA Today article “Family of former Kansas City Chiefs star Kareem Hunt has history of criminal behavior”

….he (Kareem Hunt) grew up being celebrated for his exploits on the field and where his father and other family members are known for something else — their extensive criminal records.

Hunt’s father, also named Kareem Hunt, has been arrested at least 35 times in northeast Ohio and multiple times on charges of domestic violence, according to records obtained by USA TODAY. Most of the felony convictions were for drug-related offenses. He was sentenced to a combined nine years in prison on nine felony convictions……

Even before Kareem Hunt admitted he lied to the Chiefs prior to TMZ posting the video of his Feb. 10 altercation with a 19-year-old woman at a Cleveland hotel, there were missteps.

In 2011, when Hunt was 16, he was one of four teenage boys in a car when a police officer in Willoughby approached because of suspicious behavior and discovered .38 grams of marijuana and a marijuana grinder, according to a juvenile report obtained from the Willoughby Police Department. The report states that the car’s driver, Matthew A. Hendricks, said the marijuana and grinder were his and his friends, including Hunt, had nothing to do with it….

In 2015 while he was at Toledo, Hunt was suspended for the first two games of his junior season for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Though Hunt has not been charged with a crime, the NFL is investigating three incidents in the past year in which he allegedly was involved in physical altercations — with the woman at a Cleveland hotel in February, with a man at an Ohio resort in June and with another man at a Kansas City club in January…

… “You see the tape and it just kind of breaks your heart,’’ said Louis Ayeni, who coached Hunt at Toledo and is now an assistant coach at Northwestern, referring to the security video from the Cleveland hotel. “He’s so likeable and when he knows you, he’s a really giving, caring person. But his choices and his actions put him in this situation right now.’’

This is apparently a non-issue for certain Bucs fans. In Hunt’s case, he has 1 incident but other people in his life have multiple. In our QB’s case, HE’S had the incidents and that falls on deaf ears for some. So, for those who are in full favor of our QB, Hunt’s “issues” are of no concern. Yet… they’ll still keep talking trash on the Cowboys.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

You do realize that had a certain player on DEFENSE, not lined up offsides, the Chiefs would be in the Super Bowl right now, right?

Please wait…

• DerekPHFD

Participant

Yes I do. I also think that if Hunt is on the field they sustain at least 1 drive in the entire first half and come away with at least some points, and that offsides may not be the issue in the second half. The game was built off of more than that one play.

Please wait…

• GIJoeWasThere

Participant

You do realize that had a certain player on DEFENSE, not lined up offsides, the Chiefs would be in the Super Bowl right now, right?

If they have Hunt they score 21 points or so in the 1st half.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

If they have Hunt they score 21 points or so in the 1st half.

Not necessarily. They didn’t score 21 points in the 1st half earlier this year vs the Pats… when they had Hunt.

Please wait…

• DerekPHFD

Participant

Come on man if you bring up regular season, they gameplanned to stop hunt, and did a solid job. But it allowed hill to destroy them. My point is without having to gameplan against hunt, they were able to keep a single high safety and stop hill. No one fears a player like Williams or ware.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

The New York Daily News reports the Jets have no interest in signing free agent Kareem Hunt.
      As the Daily News’ Manish Mehta notes, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan removed Joe Mixon from his 2017 draft board after Mixon committed physical assault on a young woman at college, and Maccagnan hasn’t regretted it. Maccagnan is taking the same approach with Hunt. The Jets are tentatively expected to be among Le’Veon Bell’s most ardent pursuers once free agency opens in March.

Please wait…

• The Anomaly

Participant

There is zero chance either guy is here.  Nada.  Zilch.  Zero.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
      2m
      2 minutes ago

Commissioner Roger Goodell says the Kareem Hunt investigation should conclude “soon” and that he’ll go back on the exempt list whenever he signed, as he awaits likely suspension. … on Reuben Foster, he said just because his charge was dropped doesn’t mean he won’t be suspended.

Please wait…

• blind melon

Participant

There is zero chance either guy is here. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Curious to how you justify this assessment.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport said he expects the Buccaneers to consider signing free agent Kareem Hunt this offseason.

“I would expect teams like the Bucs with big time running back needs and the propensity to make a splash in free agency to be linked to him,” said Rapsheet in a radio interview with 95.3 WDAE. It sounds like Rapoport is just speculating, though he’s correct in assessing the Bucs’ running back need. Only three teams rushed for fewer yards than Tampa Bay in 2018 while only the Cardinals averaged fewer yards per carry. Hunt would be a noticeable improvement on Peyton Barber, who was one of the league’s least efficient rushers last season. The former rushing champ should resurface at some point, though interested teams will likely wait until they know the length of his suspension before signing him.

Jan 30 – 8:07 PM

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

If I had to choose between the two I would take Kareem Hunt . Don’t worry in 10 years this will be a none issue cause there will be no Gender.

Please wait…

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.