Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• kegan

Participant

I know that many want to say bye to Brate. I think they can extend his contract for relatively small dollars…making this year cap hit around $1.5 million. Brate has been dependable…can’t say the same for some other TEs. Why not keep him…he wants to stay in Tampa, helps the team, and has shown flexibility with compensation.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Cut brate & re-sign him for 2-3 mil.

• seekpar

Participant

Yep keep Brate at a discount and trade OJ for draft capital.

• kenntak

Participant

Brate is not flashy but he is very reliable, and makes plays when you need him to. Was it Brady who said Brate has the best hands on the team?

• Roy

Participant

It really depends on what Brate wants. Because although Brate is under contract for a few more years, its at $6.25 mil for 2021. The Bucs will want to refinance his contract and probably give him less money for maybe two years. So that puts the ball in Brate’s court. He can go along with that plan, or he can get cut loose and shop himself around. If that happens he can probably do reasonably better on another team. Obviously I don’t know what Brate would choose between those two options.

But here’s what I’ll say about Licht. He may not be on the exact same page as the fans or even Bruce Arians. We all want to bring back all the same guys, but Licht probably realizes that if you want to have a winning organization you have to keep restocking the shelves with some new product. You have to bring in some new blood every year and not spend all your money trying to recreate the past. So far we’ve seen the low hanging fruit getting picked, but don’t assume that Licht is totally laser focused on bringing all these guys…like Brate… back into the fold when the free agents will be out there.

• kegan

Participant

If they cut Brate…he won’t be back. He can easily sign with another team for more money. So, if they dis him…he moves on. If they show they value him…I think he signs cheap.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Yeah I thought he was on his final year for some reason.

Hopefully he’ll restructure.

Can’t pay the #3 TE 6 mil.

• kegan

Participant

I agree restructure his deal. Seems like he really wants to be a Buc!

• m_j

Participant

there is shortage in a TE market, he can choose where to go if we offer him less. now having SB and having caught that lombardy :-) he will be hard to keep at less!

• Boid Fink

Participant

I thought Hudson caught the trophy?

• Greattimes

Participant

I’d keep Brate over Howard. Brate is much more reliable and doesn’t have the injury history of Howard.

• Barnz1

Participant

Brate is an easy cut unless they can somehow restructure.

His a 3rd string TE making 6mil. Right now we have around 13-14mil cap space without our premium pass rusher who generates all our pressure and our TE1 Gronk from last season.

Brate is way down on the list of priorities to keep around.

• Boid Fink

Participant

I agree with Barnz, with the clause that if he can agree to take less or restructure he should stay. Depth and continuity for a reliable target Brady likes is invaluable comebgame time and situational ball.

Brate is pushing 30, so what little speed he has will start to diminish enough to make him replaceable. That said, he’s been a good tight end for this team. With Jameis as the QB he would get drilled over and over reaching for those off target bullshit passes he would lib out there.

• Axxon

Participant

It’s clear its time for the Buc’s to fish or cut Brate.

• obuc

Participant

Howard will continue to get hurt but he is most valuable to be traded now. Problem is Gronk plays 2 years at most and then you are back to drafting a TE again.

I think howard and Brate are making the same. Howard is the one who should NOT get guaranteed money and offer to take a reduced amount of money. If he doesnt want to do that, then maybe they should trade him.

• buc-in-out

Participant

We CANNOT pay 3 TEs $6 million a year, that’s crazy talk. OJ’s contract is guaranteed to injury, we cannot cut him because he won’t pass a physical… Gronk will be re-signed probably at $5-6 million, Brate needs to take a paycut or we get rid of him.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.