Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

…… in the event Bowles leaves.

^^mtn^^
      since ’76

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

For sure. He’s a lousy head coach but a genius DC.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep, for a 3-4, he’s the one you want. He has hinted of interest in coaching again.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Why would bowles leave?

I hope hes here awhile. I love 3-4 defense. First time since I’ve been a bucs fan!

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know his interview with Detroit was cancelled, but he has a decent shot at another HC gig.

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

I would think Arians would promote from within instead. He’s said before he’s all about helping assistant coaches work their way up the ladder and then hopefully go on to get their own head coaching jobs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s a strong possibility no doubt, but if they’re going to keep ‘the band’ together for another year, you would want a proven defensive coordinator to keep the ball rolling. Otherwise you slow the development of the young players and possibly lose some key vets.

They don’t come much better than Phillips.

I have a lot of respect for Bowles as a DC, he’s still fairly young and he may eventually surpass Phillips’ ability; but right now, I believe Phillips is a step up from Bowles.

• Roy

Participant

I would think Arians would promote from within instead. He’s said before he’s all about helping assistant coaches work their way up the ladder and then hopefully go on to get their own head coaching jobs.

Problem with that can be if the DC leaves he may take some coaches with him. I hope this is all just academic.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I know his interview with Detroit was cancelled, but he has a decent shot at another HC gig.

Where? I disagree he gets a job anywhere, at least this year. He’ll be here in 2021.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Eagirls is a pretty good possiblity.

I like the Bucs over GB and a good shot at winning it all this year.

Very difficult to keep all the pieces together after winning the SB.

• TBChucky

Participant

Hate to see him go.. SR said Larry Foote would be the likely replacement if he does.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes, would hate to see him go as well.

Hope Harry Foote doesn’t have any problems with toenail fungus or anything like that.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Eagirls is a pretty good possiblity.

I like the Bucs over GB and a good shot at winning it all this year.

Very difficult to keep all the pieces together after winning the SB.

That would be a very eagles move. But they need a head coach to fix wentz not a DC.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree, but that could also work in his favor. A bit of distance may help diffuse the situation.

• kenntak

Participant

If the Bucs win it all, Bowles is probably gone. If Bowles left, Phillips would be a great hire.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

If the Bucs win it all, Bowles is probably gone. If Bowles left, Phillips would be a great hire.

Again, where is he going? Theres 2 openings left.

I’d bet my life savings he gets neither job.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is he not a good fit for the Texans either, IYO?

• Anonymous

Inactive

For those who aren’t as familiar with his accomplishments, here’s a bit of info:

Denver (second stint)
      On January 28, 2015, Phillips joined Gary Kubiak’s staff at the Denver Broncos as the defensive coordinator; Phillips’ second stint at that position with the team. Phillips replaced his predecessor’s complex wait-and-react scheme with a simple style of going after the ball, making Denver the top-ranked defense that season, which carried the team to a 12–4 record and the number one seed in the AFC despite their offensive struggles. In Super Bowl 50, played on February 7, 2016, in Santa Clara, California, the game was seen by some as a contest between Phillips and Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula, as both of them were sons of well-known NFL coaches, and as Carolina had the top-ranked offense in the 2015 regular season. Denver’s defense shut down Carolina and Cam Newton in a 24–10 victory, giving Phillips the first Super Bowl victory of his career.

Following the retirement of Kubiak as head coach after the 2016 season, Phillips was replaced by Joe Woods as the defensive coordinator for the Broncos.

Los Angeles Rams
      After a successful stint with the Denver Broncos, Phillips left to become defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams, alongside new head coach Sean McVay.

In Super Bowl LIII, Phillip’s defense was credited with keeping the New England Patriots and Tom Brady out of the end zone until the fourth quarter, as the Rams only trailed by a field goal for the first three quarters despite the Patriots’ offense having the majority of possession. The Patriots’ offense had to resort to running the ball often, which eventually tired out the Rams defensive line. However, the Rams’ top-ranked offense that game was stifled and they lost to the Patriots, 13–3.

On January 6, 2020 the Rams announced they would not be renewing his contract. This followed their 2019 season in which the Rams went 9–7 and failed to make the playoffs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s in his genes, his dad was a bum Bum. :-)

• Buc on the Move

Participant

While I love the idea of Wade Philips, I just don’t see that happening. I agree with the earlier comment that Arians is a promote your own type of coach more than anything else. Philips would best be paired with an up and coming young offensive coach like he was with McVay.

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I love the idea of Wade Philips, I just don’t see that happening. I agree with the earlier comment that Arians is a promote your own type of coach more than anything else. Philips would best be paired with an up and coming young offensive coach like he was with McVay.

True, but Arians might enjoy someone close to his age to ride around in the golf cart with him.

They could compare their aches and pains of being old farts.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Is he not a good fit for the Texans either, IYO?

Texans can’t possibly be appealing to anyone to be honest.

Deshaun Watson seems set on leaving.

If he stayed, almost anyone would want to go there. You already have a franchise qb.

He leaves?(95% chance hes done there based on what im seeing) watt towards end of his career, traded hopkins) they’ll be the jets for a few yesrs lol.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.