Viewing 34 reply threads

• Author

• Redbeardsports

Participant

http://nflbreakdowns.com/kwon-alexander-vs-the-bengals/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This kid can’t really be as good as he is playing.  So fast and physical.  2 preseason games in and my opinion of our top 4 picks couldn’t be higher.  I love what I have seen from all of them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This kid can't really be as good as he is playing.  So fast and physical.  2 preseason games in and my opinion of our top 4 picks couldn't be higher.  I love what I have seen from all of them.

See, thats the kind of sh1t that scares me..Dipsh1ts like mccown can look good in PS, so (as we all know) it could all be a lie.But, yeah, the kid has looked like a talented player so far. Cannot argue with that. And all of our top picks have shown some flashes, so thats at least nice to see.I still believe had lovie wanted a win against the vikes, he wouldve had one. This team is warming up fast, and that was just training day for them. Next game will be a pretty good barometer of our offense, so im hoping the ol can hold. If they can beat a defense like clevelands, they can contend with a lot of others in the league.Even if its just preseason, its still promising seeing it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We very well might have drafted the qb of our O and D in the same draft… that’s pretty damn exciting.  Kwon is a little undersized and he’ll probably never be an ultimate thumper but his speed is what the new NFL is all about.  54 and 58 could be the best nickel LB pair for the next 5 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We very well might have drafted the qb of our O and D in the same draft… that's pretty damn exciting.  Kwon is a little undersized and he'll probably never be an ultimate thumper but his speed is what the new NFL is all about.  54 and 58 could be the best nickel LB pair for the next 5 years.

Undersized is alright in lovie's scheme. Turnovers are the badass baby boy of defensive speed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He may be lighter, but he doesn’t seem undersized. He seems like a knotted up rock for a linebacker, his arms are huge. And he thumps when he hits, a hard tackler. And a good, clean tackler. I don’t worry about The Wrath. Lovie hit a homer with that pick and it’s obvious. He stays upright and he beats people down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wrath was a great pickup, he is fast and instinctive. It does look like we finally have the proper mike LB to run the Tampa 2. If we really can get a pass rush working this defense could be very good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://nflbreakdowns.com/kwon-alexander-vs-the-bengals/

This article is like 90 percent "I have no idea what's going on because of the camera angle." I don't understand how the author could've conceived of this idea, to analyze our LB corps, seen the limitations that the camera angles created, and still went through with it anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All of the garbage articles that we see posted here and this one recieves criticism?  There is an imbedded video clip of each snap he played, so readers can easily see if their analysis matches the author’s.  Wish we had about 20 of these for many of our key players.  That would be really cool imo.

Please wait…

• synercid7

Participant

All of the garbage articles that we see posted here and this one recieves criticism?  There is an imbedded video clip of each snap he played, so readers can easily see if their analysis matches the author's.  Wish we had about 20 of these for many of our key players.  That would be really cool imo.

It's not everyday that you see a game breakdown from a third party site about a 4th round rookie on an irrelevant team, glad you enjoyed. Some people are just negative by nature and they can't help it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All of the garbage articles that we see posted here and this one recieves criticism?  There is an imbedded video clip of each snap he played, so readers can easily see if their analysis matches the author's.  Wish we had about 20 of these for many of our key players.  That would be really cool imo.

It's not everyday that you see a game breakdown from a third party free site about a 4th round rookie on an irrelevant team, glad you enjoyed. Some people are just negative by nature and they can't help it.

It is the kind of content I would expect to have to pay for tbh.  Forget watching the plays and analyzing them, just cutting the video up and embedding it is work.  I read these mikebot articles everyday that seem like they took an hr tops of thought/writing.  Definitely appreciate you linking it.  Please post any more you come across.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good article.  Wish I could see more of those pop up

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's not everyday that you see a game breakdown from a third party site about a 4th round rookie on an irrelevant team, glad you enjoyed. Some people are just negative by nature and they can't help it.

I would never discourage anyone from posting Buccaneer-centric stuff, but what is this?  It's just play-by-play.  There's no subjectivity here.  There's no journalism.  It's Matt Fries (who is a fine writer and student of the game) telling us what's happening in the video clips.That is, when he can see what's going on."... I don't have anything to evaluate on this play.""There's not a whole lot for [Alexander] to do because no one enters his zone...""On this play we can’t even see anything at all from Alexander.""Alexander is supposed to be in man coverage on Gio Bernard... [but] it’s not really possible for me to tell.""I presume that Alexander dropped into a zone on this play, as he’s off the screen so I can’t know for sure.""Nothing to see from Alexander on this play because he’s off the screen.""The pass is thrown so quickly that there’s not much to look at."You get the same commentary during the game from the loud guy on the bar stool next to you.Again, I would never discourage anyone from posting anything about the team, but this isn't analysis.  It's not the complex and in-depth study that guys like Brett Kollman, Bill Barnwell, Matt Waldman, and Chase Stuart provide.It's just some guy watching the football game.  Like the rest of us.  If video clips were all it took to create compelling sports writing, then you'd see them on every site.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you are unhappy that the article included every one of his snaps and didn’t spoon feed you enough of an opinion of the video of each play provided?Fine.  To each his own.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you are unhappy that the article included every one of his snaps and didn't spoon feed you enough of an opinion of the video of each play provided?Fine.  To each his own.

... you could've just watched the game and learned everything that was in this article.The point of journalism is either to 1) provide information, or 2) introduce an opinion.  This piece leaned toward point #1, but the information was so freaking bland and obvious, it'd be like me responding to your snide remark with, "This is a reply to your comment.  I'm hitting many of the letter keys.  Sometimes the shift key too."Oh, but I still would've been missing the video clips.  And you're making it very obvious how much you hate reading when there aren't moving pictures on the screen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have found very few sports writers have a good working knowledge if the games they cover.  Mass media also tends to write for an audience that isn’t intimately familiar with the topics they are reading.  Over time, I have found it much more profitable to see it myself, and form my own opinion.  I did record the game and have watched segments multiple times.  That is a wonderful resource for me at home in front of the TV.  An article like what is linked allows me from any of my mobile internet devices to zoom in on a very specific aspect of the game I have interest in.  To try and present it as less professional because it doesn’t follow some antiquated rules for journalism is laughable. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have found very few sports writers have a good working knowledge if the games they cover.

So we should just accept shallow journalism on the off chance that the writer doesn't know what he's talking about?

Mass media also tends to write for an audience that isn't intimately familiar with the topics they are reading.

That's true.  The Tampa Tribune and Tampa Bay Times have won awards in sports journalism for serving up our local sports news in nice, unintimidating packages for their mass readership.Maybe our disconnect stems from our different perspectives.  If I see a site breaking down the play-by-play analysis of a middle linebacker, I'm looking for things like... cloudy versus clear reads, improvisational ability and how the linebacker operates outside the playcall, traits that make him unique (like J.J. Watt shooting the A gap, almost refusing to engage centers or guards during the last five weeks of his rookie season, and how the defense changed around him to facilitate that), how his teammates' play directly influenced his on-field decision making, how other players reacted when put in similar situations, etc.But that's not what NFLbreakdowns.com is trying to be.  It says on their website, "We wanted to help bridge the gap between most people’s basic understanding of the game to the level of a confident analyst."So maybe I'm not the target audience.

Over time, I have found it much more profitable to see it myself, and form my own opinion.

Over time?  Bro, this is how all critical thought works.  If anyone isn't thinking this way, then they're already behind the curve.However, that doesn't mean the world should be one big, gray, boring ball floating through outer space.  As a critical thinker, you consume journalism because (and I reiterate from a previous post) it either 1) introduces you to new information with which you can supplement or evolve your worldview, or 2) introduces you to an opinion with which you can challenge, refine, and reforge that worldview.Where NFLbreakdowns.com falls short, in my opinion, is in #1.  It doesn't introduce any new information.  I'd hope that 90 percent of this board picked up on many of Matt Fries's points during their viewing of the game.

I did record the game and have watched segments multiple times.  That is a wonderful resource for me at home in front of the TV.  An article like what is linked allows me from any of my mobile internet devices to zoom in on a very specific aspect of the game I have interest in.

I take no issue with the video clips.  I think they're an awesome addition to any sports article.  Bill Barnwell uses them all the time to illustrate a great hit, a nice pass, or the violent handfighting between offensive and defensive linemen.  But the content has to have substance too.  If Barnwell embedded a video of Jameis Winston throwing a pass down the seam to Tim Wright, and then wrote, "On this play, Jameis took a five-step drop and rifled the ball down the seam to Tim Wright..." it doesn't really achieve anything.  And there's so much to write about there.

To try and present it as less professional because it doesn't follow some antiquated rules for journalism is laughable.

Answer this question: in nonfiction, if you're not writing to educate and you're not writing to editorialize... then why are you writing?Matt Fries is a good writer, and NFLbreakdowns.com seems like a website with a solid vision.  So far, to me, they could stand to bolster their execution a little bit, because sites like Pro Football Focus, Football Perspective, Football Outsiders, Smart Football, and Grantland, have this niche filled.  And they're doing it a lot better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I liked the article.There are plenty other threads with feel good articles and fluff pieces.  This is a change of pace and I like it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I liked the article.There are plenty other threads with feel good articles and fluff pieces.  This is a change of pace and I like it.

For sure, man.  Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion.But it's baffling to me that you guys don't understand -- this is as much a fluff piece as the article about Russell Shepard's trucking company.  It's empty.  It's Matt Fries providing play-by-play on all the things we saw on Monday night.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So far, to me, they could stand to bolster their execution a little bit, because sites like Pro Football Focus, Football Perspective, Football Outsiders, Smart Football, and Grantland, have this niche filled.  And they’re doing it a lot better.

I bet I would enjoy reading/watching those as well.  I assume those to all be pay services, if not please link up their Buc material and it would be greatly appreciated.My confusion is over your objection to what you seem to agree is an article more focused toward "serious" fans than the typical mass media offering.  When you seem to indicate you prefer that type of focus to the general newspaper style articles.  Yet a free site attempts to serve your preference, while not as well as pay services, and you object over the plethora of general style articles that are posted here daily.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This kid can't really be as good as he is playing.  So fast and physical.  2 preseason games in and my opinion of our top 4 picks couldn't be higher.  I love what I have seen from all of them.

Yep, totally agree.Like Boid said, Kwon may be lighter but that dude is built and plays fierce. Kwon and LVD in the nickel is just awesome.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would never discourage anyone from posting Buccaneer-centric stuff, but what is this?  It's just play-by-play.  There's no subjectivity here.  There's no journalism.  It's Matt Fries (who is a fine writer and student of the game) telling us what's happening in the video clips.That is, when he can see what's going on."... I don't have anything to evaluate on this play.""There's not a whole lot for [Alexander] to do because no one enters his zone...""On this play we can’t even see anything at all from Alexander.""Alexander is supposed to be in man coverage on Gio Bernard... [but] it’s not really possible for me to tell.""I presume that Alexander dropped into a zone on this play, as he’s off the screen so I can’t know for sure.""Nothing to see from Alexander on this play because he’s off the screen.""The pass is thrown so quickly that there’s not much to look at."You get the same commentary during the game from the loud guy on the bar stool next to you.Again, I would never discourage anyone from posting anything about the team, but this isn't analysis.  It's not the complex and in-depth study that guys like Brett Kollman, Bill Barnwell, Matt Waldman, and Chase Stuart provide.It's just some guy watching the football game.  Like the rest of us.  If video clips were all it took to create compelling sports writing, then you'd see them on every site.

Did you read the second page?  Because he was talking about the run game, there were less of the "he's off screen" comments.  All in all, I thought the article was good, and I would go back to that site during the regular season. It isn't perfect, but better than most of the drivel that comes out as articles in the preseason anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I bet I would enjoy reading/watching those as well.  I assume those to all be pay services, if not please link up their Buc material and it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/category/pro/teams/nfc-south/buccaneers/https://grantland.com/tags/tampa-bay-buccaneers/http://www.footballoutsiders.com/archiveshttp://www.footballperspective.com/http://www.smartfootball.com/Football Outsiders, Football Perspective, and Smart Football focus less on specific team news and more on the nuance of the sport.  But give them a read anyway.  They're outstanding.  As for Grantland, I highly recommend their podcasts, as well as the exposé they just did on the Bucs a few weeks back... https://grantland.com/the-triangle/and-the-bucs-shall-rise-again/Also give Cold, Hard Football Facts a look-see: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/team/30/And check out Brett Kollmann's breakdown of Jameis Winston in the Rose Bowl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYa6S6UA0MUHere's Matt Waldman spending an hour discussing Kenny Bell's college exploits (this one's a little roughly-produced, but give it time... the content and analysis is great): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19OVxvFhZyYThere are tons of small-time analysts and free third-party websites that are absolutely killing it right now.  If a site charges a membership fee, many times it's for hard analytics that people can use for gambling.  But most of these places (save for ESPN) give the actual content and analysis for free.

My confusion is over your objection to what you seem to agree is an article more focused toward "serious" fans than the typical mass media offering.

No, maybe I've misrepresented myself.Newspapers and television tend to focus on the very basic workings of the sport.  Yards per carry.  Touchdowns.  Tackles.  Things like that.NFLbreakdowns.com is a little more complicated in its analyses, but not much.  They even say it on the website, "The world of football is very overwhelming. Commentators use complicated terms like Cover 2 and Pistol-formation on a routine-basis, but they don’t analyze the game much further than explaining a basic play concept. This is why NFL Breakdowns was created."

When you seem to indicate you prefer that type of focus to the general newspaper style articles.

NFLbreakdowns.com looks like it tries to achieve that level of focus, but my contention is that it falls short.I presume that Alexander dropped into a zone on this play, as he’s off the screen so I can’t know for sure. How quickly he reacts to the pass tells me that he is. Hill can be an elusive runner, but on this play I don’t think he does a good job with avoiding the tackle. He just kind of dances in place. Alexander does a good job of attacking the ballcarrier and bringing him down.That's not analysis.  That's watching a video clip and relaying what you see.  The only piece of information that we get, as readers, that isn't in the video is, "Hill can be an elusive runner." And that's not exactly Pulitzer material.

Yet a free site attempts to serve your preference, while not as well as pay services, and you object over the plethora of general style articles that are posted here daily.

Don't give NFLbreakdowns.com a pass because their content is free.  There's free content from all over the internet that's informative, entertaining, well-researched, well-articulated, and unique.Pay sites are for fantasy football players.  No one is paying for analyses these days, because so many outlets are offering quality content for nothing.

Please wait…

• 69ragtop

Participant

My technical football IQ ended a long time ago playing in high school. With that said people keep talking about Kwon being undersized .    Provided the sources I looked up are right I was looking at the following players for size comparison.  Kwon 6'1 227lbs  ( and he is only 21yo)Lawrence Taylor  6'3  237lbsJohn Lynch    6'2 220lbs  Yes I know he was a SS but in context of hitting and run stopping Ray Lewis      6'1 240lbs        Ronnie Lott 6'0 203lbs  Another safety so maybe he shouldn't be in the listDick Butkus  6'3 245lbs Mike Singletary  6.0 230lbsHardy Nickerson  6'2 230lbsLavonte David  6'1 233lbsDerrick Brooks 6'0 235lbs      Those are some pretty damn good players .  I don't think he is undersized it seems he is perfectly sized IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’ll put on a little muscle as his body continues to mature. He’ll probably play around the same weight as David and Nickerson. Nothing wrong with that. Love the fact that we have four guys in the LB corps that can start. With Kwon and Carter, we turned a team weakness into a strength (well, thus far at least).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He'll put on a little muscle as his body continues to mature. He'll probably play around the same weight as David and Nickerson. Nothing wrong with that. Love the fact that we have four guys in the LB corps that can start. With Kwon and Carter, we turned a team weakness into a strength (well, thus far at least).

The Hardware Man teaching The Wrath of Kwon how to run the ship. I love it.  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My technical football IQ ended a long time ago playing in high school. With that said people keep talking about Kwon being undersized .    Provided the sources I looked up are right I was looking at the following players for size comparison.  Kwon 6'1 227lbs  ( and he is only 21yo)Lawrence Taylor  6'3  237lbsJohn Lynch    6'2 220lbs  Yes I know he was a SS but in context of hitting and run stopping Ray Lewis      6'1 240lbs        Ronnie Lott 6'0 203lbs  Another safety so maybe he shouldn't be in the listDick Butkus  6'3 245lbs Mike Singletary  6.0 230lbsHardy Nickerson  6'2 230lbsLavonte David  6'1 233lbsDerrick Brooks 6'0 235lbs      Those are some pretty damn good players .  I don't think he is undersized it seems he is perfectly sized IMO.

I certainly think that he is a tad undersized compared to some of the MLB's around the league but that should be just fine for our D that relies very heavily on the MLB dropping and patrolling the middle. It will be 3rd and short sometimes and he is unlikely to be a thumper capable of taking on a fullback or guard and still making a tackle while preventing a first down.  Compared to some of the league's better MLB'sKuechly 6'3 - 242Wagner 6'0 - 240Bowman 6'1 - 241Derrick Johnson 6'3 - 243Jerod Mayo - 6'1 - 250Pat Willis (retired) 6'1 - 240

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shelton Quarles 6’1 225

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I certainly think that he is a tad undersized compared to some of the MLB's around the league but that should be just fine for our D that relies very heavily on the MLB dropping and patrolling the middle. It will be 3rd and short sometimes and he is unlikely to be a thumper capable of taking on a fullback or guard and still making a tackle while preventing a first down.  Compared to some of the league's better MLB'sKuechly 6'3 - 242Wagner 6'0 - 240Bowman 6'1 - 241Derrick Johnson 6'3 - 243Jerod Mayo - 6'1 - 250Pat Willis (retired) 6'1 - 240

I think we should ask McCown how the Wrath of Kwon felt tonight.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A helluva hit!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only bright spot in the game tonight. This kid is going to be an absolute monster. Makes Lavonte look slow he’s so fast!!What a duo they're going to be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A helluva hit!

I was watching the game with my uncle tonight and you never hear this man use swear words, but when Kwon put that hit on McCown he yelled out "F**K". I was like OMG. He went right for one of the biggies. LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is that hit    https://vine.co/v/eI5iK9tuVOB

Please wait…

• 69ragtop

Participant

That hit is very much along the lines of the other players in my list.Only time will tell but that kid really looks like the real deal.      McCown is one thing but I can't wait to see how he does against some of the power RB's

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is that hit    https://vine.co/v/eI5iK9tuVOB

That definitely was not a Ruud tackle.

Please wait…

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.