Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• Vance

Participant

So is this team really banking on this guy to be the starting quarterback for this team once Brady retires? I’ll understand this move to be a lottery team. Maybe he is balling in practice at 3rd string. Help me see the future at quarterback please .

• Greattimes

Participant

That is the Bucs plan.

• Greattimes

Participant

Until a QB actually plays in the NFL, no one knows if they will be good or bad. There have been QB’s who get drafted who turn out to be complete flops (Josh Freeman, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel) and there have been QB’s who went undrafted or cut before their rookie season, who turn out to be great. (Johny Unitas, Kurt Warner). There are a lot of Trask haters out there who cite bad things about Trask that are purely figments of their imagination. Until Trask actually gets a year behind the center, no one knows how well he will do.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Apparently the coaching staff was enamored with him.

I just don’t see it.

Would’ve loved that pick to been used for OL DL or CB depth.

Franchise QBs do not grow on trees.

If you wanna learn from anyone, its brady.

I would’ve rather swung for the fences with rodgers watson or wilson. Just like we did with Brady. A proven commodity.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I just don’t see it.

This bodes well for Trask and Buccaneer fans.

• Trask Force

Participant

The plan would be for Trask to take over for Brady once Brady retires. The advantage to Trask is his minimal cap hit. He has a four year deal, so if Brady retires after next year then you have two years of Trask. I don’t think it would be a rebuilding situation, not with the investments the Bucs have in this team. It’s not a start from scratch situation, not as long as you have the O-line and D-line. If you have those two you can at least put together a playoff team.

I think they might bring in some low budget competition, but you can’t pay too much to the other QB or the plan won’t work. You have to spend that extra cap space wisely.

• Anonymous

Inactive

From what I saw of Trask in the preseason, he actually looked much better than Gabbert or Griffin.

• Swash

Participant

I don’t believe so. He’ll be given a shot to compete for the starting job along with another veteran quarterback.. unless the Bucs are able to lure another big time free agent.

I said it then, and il say it again. Taking a quarterback, even if he’s a backup is smart just from a financial perspective. You can’t get a solid backup for the money they are paying Trask for 4 years. I don’t think they picked him to be the obvious heir apparent. Just adding talent to a that position group..

• BadabingBucs

Participant

No.

honestly, Litch had like 3 great drafts in a row and was probably drunk for this draft. The arrogance of this team sometimes is astonishing. Drafting a third string QB and a kick returner

should have went defensive line and offensive line instead.

If Trask doesnt improve to #2 QB next year then he likely is a back-up at best and Bucs will bring in a veteran to compete if/when Brady hangs em up

• SunnyD

Participant

I believe keeping Gabbert as the #2 all year had everything to do with Brady and Brady’s preferences and nothing to do with Kyle Trask’s play.

• theknees

Participant

I believe keeping Gabbert as the #2 all year had everything to do with Brady and Brady’s preferences and nothing to do with Kyle Trask’s play.

Brady prefers Gabbert because he knows that we don’t have any other options at the position.

• SunnyD

Participant

I don’t think so.

Gabbert is his buddy and I believe Brady would rather have an experienced vet as his backup as opposed to a rookie.

• BucHarbour

Participant

This crap really cracks me up. First and foremost, Gabbert is the #2 because of experience, and experience only. Trask was clearly starting to get the offense down in the last pre-season game and dropped some dimes. We drafted him to have someone who could potentially become the starter long term and offer a more salary cap friendly back-up starting next season, assuming Brady comes back. Trask has a good enough arm for the NFL, which showed in that last game he played in. What he has that a lot of others don’t is the mental acuity to quickly pick up offenses and to learn to read defenses pre and post snap. It’s the reason he came out for Florida in the Kentucky game and never gave up the starting spot (nor was in danger of losing it). Then he went on the next year and was on a tear similar to Burrow, who seems to be doing well himself, despite the fact that Gators had fewer top end receiving talents than LSU the year Burrow won it all.

But, way too many get enamored with the cannon arms and the legs that can run all over. Of course, many of the QB’s left are of the not-so-mobile variety. Time will tell if Trask can get it done, but it greatly improved from week 1 of pre-season to week 3.

• Trask Force

Participant

OK, I agree that Trask is probably going to be the starter.

But there’s the problem: High expectations.

The Bucs have one Superbowl, contending for another this year and probably next year as well if Brady sticks around. So you put Trask in the starting role in 2023 and what are you going to expect as a result from that? Go look at the list of starting quarterbacks Superbowl winning QBs and try to find one who was in his first year as a starter. There have been 56 Superbowls and I think every winning team had a veteran starter.

When Brady retires, the Bucs will still be heavily invested in star players on offense and defense and will be looking to win now. Neither the team nor the fans is going to chalk up a year of rebuilding, retooling, recalibrating. Whatever you want to call it, the Bucs aren’t going to do it, not on purpose. So Trask will be expected to contend for a Superbowl in his first year, and that just doesn’t happen in this league. What will the Bucs do if they think they have a Superbowl contender in 2023 and Brady is not around? Will they really put their eggs in the Trask basket?

• Lawdy

Participant

two superbowls

• Trask Force

Participant

two superbowls

Yes well I was referring specifically to the current regime.

• BucHarbour

Participant

You expect him to keep you competitive while you continue to rebuild the roster with younger, cheaper talent to make another run. The ONLY way you sustain success is by having a QB that can play at a high level for a decade or more. If you keep hiring guns to come in here, most aren’t going to get it done, and you’re going to be spending a fortune to do it. Brady cost a lot, but he’s one of the rare guys that just makes everyone better and was worth it. Most QB’s don’t make the whole team better like Brady does.

Besides, who would you go after that might be available after that? The only one that might be available is Rogers, and he’s no spring chicken, and he doesn’t have that “lift everyone” effect that Brady does. Most SB capable QB’s don’t hit the market. On the rare occasion that they do, they cost a fortune.

The Bucs are following the absolute best path. It’s the same one that Green Bay has when they brought Rogers in with Favre still there. Green Bay has been a competitive for most of the last 30 years. Would be nice to do that here.

• Anonymous

Inactive

OK, I agree that Trask is probably going to be the starter.

But there’s the problem: High expectations.

The Bucs have one Superbowl, contending for another this year and probably next year as well if Brady sticks around. So you put Trask in the starting role in 2023 and what are you going to expect as a result from that? Go look at the list of starting quarterbacks Superbowl winning QBs and try to find one who was in his first year as a starter. There have been 56 Superbowls and I think every winning team had a veteran starter.

When Brady retires, the Bucs will still be heavily invested in star players on offense and defense and will be looking to win now. Neither the team nor the fans is going to chalk up a year of rebuilding, retooling, recalibrating. Whatever you want to call it, the Bucs aren’t going to do it, not on purpose. So Trask will be expected to contend for a Superbowl in his first year, and that just doesn’t happen in this league. What will the Bucs do if they think they have a Superbowl contender in 2023 and Brady is not around? Will they really put their eggs in the Trask basket?

You expect a dropoff but hope that dropoff is not that much because you have the pieces in place for Trask to successfully make the transition and take over as the starter. At the very least, you’d expect a good showing and for this team to contend for the playoffs.

• kenntak

Participant

I know the opinions about Trask can be strong, but there is still a chance this could work. I am not going to toss him onto the garbage heap until he has had some playing time. Winston had 5 years. Trask could be a Rosen, but he could also be a surprise gem.

• Greattimes

Participant

Where would the Bucs be if they had not drafted Trask last year? The Bucs would have had to draft a QB this year. This is the weakest QB crop to come out in a long time. There is not a single QB coming out this year that is better than Trask. Some desperate teams will draft a QB in the first round because what they have is either not working or getting old. There is also no guarantee that Brady will be back next season.

• TURBO

Participant

I will be absolutely shocked if Brady doesn’t come back for one more season.

If he wins the super bowl this year, he has to come back for the chance at the only 3 peat ever!

Doesn’t win the Super Bowl this year, he has to come back for one more shot at #8…

His play hasn’t fallen off in the slightest, and as long as he has the surrounding cast to win, I think it’s a lock he comes back for one more year.

• Kermit56

Participant

I think it’s a lock he comes back for one more year.

From your lips (fingers on a keyboard) to God’s ears.

• TURBO

Participant

I think it’s a lock he comes back for one more year.

From your lips (fingers on a keyboard) to God’s ears.

If he doesn’t, we are screwed unless we make a big splash with a big time QB ala Karen Rodgers, etc…

No way we will pick up where we left off with any QB on our roster not named GOAT!

• BucBalla85

Participant

I definitely wasn’t on board with the Trask pick but it’s true about if Brady chooses not to come back to have something in place isn’t worst idea but if Brady was coming back then that was definitely wasted pick could have used for this game. However it’s definitely argued well that even if he wasn’t coming back you use that asset in something that is gonna help you win now when you are in win now mode. Then again a team coming off a sb win isn’t worst thing that they also look to future as bad as you think Trask might be.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

If Brady were to retire this off-season, bucs would hold a QB competition. You are crazy if you think Trask is handed the job as a near 3rd round pick. I’d imagine they’d look for a veteran QB

highest ranked free agent QB you ask – Jameis Winston. Not sure how that would work if BA is coach but likely would be too awkward to consider, albeit on paper, you’d def bring him in to compete

Aside from Blaine Gabbert, other Free agent QBs – Teddy B, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Colt McCoy, Ryan Fitzpatrick – very underwhelming to say the least

likely they’d bring Gabbert back as well as Trask and consider another free agent to compete or trade

not sure if we would acquire a Russell Wilson let’s say

• FLASH

Participant

If Brady were to retire this off-season, bucs would hold a QB competition. You are crazy if you think Trask is handed the job as a near 3rd round pick. I’d imagine they’d look for a veteran QB

highest ranked free agent QB you ask – Jameis Winston. Not sure how that would work if BA is coach but likely would be too awkward to consider, albeit on paper, you’d def bring him in to compete

Aside from Blaine Gabbert, other Free agent QBs – Teddy B, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Colt McCoy, Ryan Fitzpatrick – very underwhelming to say the least

likely they’d bring Gabbert back as well as Trask and consider another free agent to compete or trade

not sure if we would acquire a Russell Wilson let’s say

Wilson’s Cap hit is 37 mil in 2022 and 40 mil in 2023. He is a UFA in 2024. Can the Seahawks keep him with their Cap taking that much of a hit?

• TURBO

Participant

I’d expect a trade rather than a FA signing… I wouldn’t want any of those FA guys.

We truly NEED TB12 back next year.

• Boid Fink

Participant

WTF were you watching? He played like crap. His No touch fumble and the ball just coming out of his had was hilarious. That just screamed he either has weak hands or small hands, or both. ,

This crap really cracks me up. First and foremost, Gabbert is the #2 because of experience, and experience only. Trask was clearly starting to get the offense down in the last pre-season game and dropped some dimes. We drafted him to have someone who could potentially become the starter long term and offer a more salary cap friendly back-up starting next season, assuming Brady comes back. Trask has a good enough arm for the NFL, which showed in that last game he played in. What he has that a lot of others don’t is the mental acuity to quickly pick up offenses and to learn to read defenses pre and post snap. It’s the reason he came out for Florida in the Kentucky game and never gave up the starting spot (nor was in danger of losing it). Then he went on the next year and was on a tear similar to Burrow, who seems to be doing well himself, despite the fact that Gators had fewer top end receiving talents than LSU the year Burrow won it all.

But, way too many get enamored with the cannon arms and the legs that can run all over. Of course, many of the QB’s left are of the not-so-mobile variety. Time will tell if Trask can get it done, but it greatly improved from week 1 of pre-season to week 3.

• BucHarbour

Participant

Good grief you’re clueless. Apparently you weren’t paying attention or had one too many. Kyle Trask went 12 of 14 for 146 yards (12.1 y/comp) with a TD and a passer rating of 142.6, the exact same rating as Brady, in that Texans game. But, yeah, sure, he played like crap. Shit, where did my eyeballs go. Rolled right out of my head.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Brady will play next year. The only scenario where I think he doesn’t is if we win it all again. That’s a mighty nice sunset to ride off into… but I think he loves football too much…

But also I’m sure he wants to spend time with his family.

Trask will get a shot to compete but nothing screams starter material. I’d rather we start Gabbert quite frankly.

Hell no to Winston’s dumb ass coming back.

Bridgwater is solid.

Maybe we could get Garap for cheap?

Or maybe we load up on defense and go back to 90s Buc ball? What’s Shaun King doing these days 🤔

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I know the opinions about Trask can be strong, but there is still a chance this could work. I am not going to toss him onto the garbage heap until he has had some playing time. Winston had 5 years. Trask could be a Rosen, but he could also be a surprise gem.

There sure is.

Theres also a chance if we don’t repeat this year regardless of who we took instead of trask(cb? Ol? Dl?) Would’ve helped us repeat this year. Much more then trask certainly

• TURBO

Participant

I think the opposite is true.

Brady wins a super bowl this year, that makes it a lock he returns for the chance at the first 3 peat ever!

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think he’s back because he said he would retire when he couldn’t lead his team to where he wants it to be. He was damn near mvp if not was mvp this year. Was arguably best qb in the game last year. He will be back. We will just have to do some reshuffling like they did last offseason.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I think the opposite is true.

Brady wins a super bowl this year, that makes it a lock he returns for the chance at the first 3 peat ever!

Or he retires winning 2 in a row..

Who doesn’t want to go out on top?

• BucHarbour

Participant

Who doesn’t want to go out being the first to win 3 in a row? I think it’s more likely he’ll leave if they don’t get it, than if they do. But who knows how tightly Gisele has his balls in her hand. Might squeeze them extra tight if he doesn’t quit after the season. All we can do is wait and see.

• Greattimes

Participant

Theres also a chance if we don’t repeat this year regardless of who we took instead of trask(cb? Ol? Dl?)

So, just how many picks are you trying to parlay that pick that the Bucs used for Trask?

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Theres also a chance if we don’t repeat this year regardless of who we took instead of trask(cb? Ol? Dl?)

So, just how many picks are you trying to parlay that pick that the Bucs used for Trask?

Huh? I don’t mean all 3. I mean any position sans qb could’ve helped us repeat this year.

Hopefully its a moot point tho!

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

They’ve some how managed to turn it into about 5-6 of them.

Quite amazing.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.