Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• Bucfan2thedeath

Participant

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.phpFirst three picks:1.  OLB/DE Leonard Floyd2.  CB Mackenzie Alexander3.  S Karl JosephThoughts?  The more I look at him, the more I am intrigued by the idea of Floyd in this defense.  If the first three rounds shook out like this I would be very pleased.

Please wait…

• rogersgc

Participant

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.phpFirst three picks:1.  OLB/DE Leonard Floyd2.  CB Mackenzie Alexander3.  S Karl JosephThoughts?  The more I look at him, the more I am intrigued by the idea of Floyd in this defense.  If the first three rounds shook out like this I would be very pleased.

I'm not, he screams Barkevious Mingo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hate the idea of Floyd.  He reminds me of the posterboard for bust.  Love the idea of his potential – but not sure he is a player.  Don’t know him personally, don’t break down film of him.  I’d rather draft a DE with film to back him, rather than a combine performance.Like Alexander, just question if that's the route we should take.  We are flush with CBs now, and this draft adds a weak DE and another smaller CB?  A CB who has never picked a pass off?  Followed up with a smaller S?  A smaller safety who is almost a one game wonder?  A safety who has built his reputation for his performance against Georgia Southern?I know these are just the negatives, but they are scary negatives IMO.

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

Not sure Alexander is going to be available in the second round. In fact I would be pleasantly surprised.  He grades out better than Ramsey and Heargraves at the position in my opinion.  He’s the only true great cover corner in this draft.  Don’t let the “he’s never intercepted a pass” thing fool you, you can’t throw on the dude.  He was hit for over 20 yards on one pass play ever in college and that was because he slipped.  He’s a true shut down corner and if he’s around in the second, we run to the podium and sleep soundly with that choice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think Floyd is best value at 9. I think he could be had in the second and like the previous poster said, I would be very surprised if Alexander is there in round 2.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The fact that Floyd bulked up to 245 for the combine and was just as fast is a little reassuring.  He can add another 5 lbs and be more stout against the run.  I just think he’s one of the better natural pass rushers in the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure Alexander is going to be available in the second round. In fact I would be pleasantly surprised.  He grades out better than Ramsey and Heargraves at the position in my opinion.  He's the only true great cover corner in this draft.  Don't let the "he's never intercepted a pass" thing fool you, you can't throw on the dude.  He was hit for over 20 yards on one pass play ever in college and that was because he slipped.  He's a true shut down corner and if he's around in the second, we run to the podium and sleep soundly with that choice.

or maybe he looked so good because he had Beasley, Lawson, Dodd, and a few other high profile Clemson rushers?  UF and fsu have them as well, so it evens out.I don't think he's the "only true great cover corner" in the draft, that's some high praise for one man while dismissing all the rest.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The fact that Floyd bulked up to 245 for the combine and was just as fast is a little reassuring.  He can add another 5 lbs and be more stout against the run.  I just think he's one of the better natural pass rushers in the draft.

will a few pounds make him stout against the run?  Or will the type of player make him more stout?  I think it’s more of a mental thing – not a few cheeseburgers and push-ups.Maybe he's got the mental thing, but from what I've read he doesn't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The fact that Floyd bulked up to 245 for the combine and was just as fast is a little reassuring.  He can add another 5 lbs and be more stout against the run.  I just think he's one of the better natural pass rushers in the draft.

will a few pounds make him stout against the run?  Or will the type of player make him more stout?  I think it's more of a mental thing - not a few cheeseburgers and push-ups.Maybe he's got the mental thing, but from what I've read he doesn't.

In spite of that, he has explosive athletic ability and an elite first step.  Those are things that cannot be taught.  I'd rather have that as the starting point and work to hone the technique.  Besides, I can see us using him the way the Broncos used Miller.  Sam backer on early downs and rushing from the edge on obvious passing downs.  This would minimize any weaknesses in run defense early on, giving him time to work on that part of his craft.  I'm tired of getting defensive ends with so-so burst and athletic ability.  I want pure juice off the edge. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

will a few pounds make him stout against the run?  Or will the type of player make him more stout?  I think it's more of a mental thing - not a few cheeseburgers and push-ups.Maybe he's got the mental thing, but from what I've read he doesn't.

I worry about this too. He has tons of talent which intrigues me but I worry he is just going to get bullied if he is our every down DE.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d rather take Spence at 9 than Floyd at 9. i’d take Floyd in the second, but I don’t want him in the 1st, not even with a trade back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I worry about this too. He has tons of talent which intrigues me but I worry he is just going to get bullied if he is our every down DE.

Man if the Bucs were lining up against him, I'd run right at him every time. I'm confident anyone on our line could handle him 1 on 1. He might be able to beat the tackles on a speed rush on passing down, but I doubt he could anchor and stop a run. Also now that I'm thinking of it, we're going to have 3 of the most athletic interior lineman I can remember us having. Hawley, Marpet and Sweezy are all athletic and nasty run blockers. The pulling guard tandem of Sweezy/Marpet is awesome. And now you put JR Sweezy next to BIGASS Donovan Smith and you got some push over there. BOOM. Sorry to derail a bit. Got excited thinking about OL haha.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In spite of that, he has explosive athletic ability and an elite first step.  Those are things that cannot be taught.  I'd rather have that as the starting point and work to hone the technique.  Besides, I can see us using him the way the Broncos used Miller.  Sam backer on early downs and rushing from the edge on obvious passing downs.  This would minimize any weaknesses in run defense early on, giving him time to work on that part of his craft.  I'm tired of getting defensive ends with so-so burst and athletic ability.  I want pure juice off the edge.

he does have explosive ability.  But how elite is his first step?  Jon Bullard, at 40lbs more was 6 100ths slower at the 10 yard mark.  .06!Is Floyd another Gaines Adams who is fast around the edge but is gonna run away from the tackles?  Or is he gonna stick his nose into it?  I thought folks said Floyd was not very impressive at LB at uga?I just assume that he wasn't misused at uga - by a coach who has been at some pretty high profile jobs.  I assume he wasn't a good player - even though he has immense explosive ability.

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

Not sure Alexander is going to be available in the second round. In fact I would be pleasantly surprised.  He grades out better than Ramsey and Heargraves at the position in my opinion.  He's the only true great cover corner in this draft.  Don't let the "he's never intercepted a pass" thing fool you, you can't throw on the dude.  He was hit for over 20 yards on one pass play ever in college and that was because he slipped.  He's a true shut down corner and if he's around in the second, we run to the podium and sleep soundly with that choice.

or maybe he looked so good because he had Beasley, Lawson, Dodd, and a few other high profile Clemson rushers?  UF and fsu have them as well, so it evens out.I don't think he's the "only true great cover corner" in the draft, that's some high praise for one man while dismissing all the rest.

I guess what I am saying is, I don't see any holes in his game.  He is amazing at open field tacking, looks like a safety doing it. So he makes whatever secondary that gets him more physical.  I love Ramsey and have seen glimpses of greatness with Heargraves and Apple as well, I just think Alexander is a more complete player.  Good kid too, no worries about anything with him, outside of injury.  Which is an every player concern.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes, starting off as an every-down DE he would be a liability in run defense.  But I don’t see him being used like that.  He’d be used the way Minnesota uses Barr and the way Denver used Miller.  Sam on early downs, rushing off the edge on obvious passing downs.  Smith has already said he wants a hybrid-type defense, and I think Floyd fits that very well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That mock is the perfect example of a hard over NEED for a speed DE at 9.  Floyd is too much of a project at 9 for my taste, but I don't know squat about the guy other than he's raw.MacKensie?  Meh. Remote won't fly at the tv.Joseph - Yes please.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Buckner!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes, starting off as an every-down DE he would be a liability in run defense.  But I don't see him being used like that.  He'd be used the way Minnesota uses Barr and the way Denver used Miller.  Sam on early downs,

and how do they use the Sam?  To take on blocks?  You want Floyd being responsible for a gap?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he does have explosive ability.  But how elite is his first step?  Jon Bullard, at 40lbs more was 6 100ths slower at the 10 yard mark.  .06!Is Floyd another Gaines Adams who is fast around the edge but is gonna run away from the tackles?  Or is he gonna stick his nose into it?  I thought folks said Floyd was not very impressive at LB at uga?I just assume that he wasn't misused at uga - by a coach who has been at some pretty high profile jobs.  I assume he wasn't a good player - even though he has immense explosive ability.

Taking this with a grain of "I haven't really watched him play", but I am at least somewhat comforted by this part of his profile on nfl.com:

Substantial pass rush potential with a variety of options to the quarterback. Pet move is upfield burst followed by jump­-cut inside tied with inside club.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/leonard-floyd?id=2555285Which suggests he isn't purely a "run around the tackle" guy like Adams.  That said, Eli Harold as a player comparison is hardly exciting.As for whether or not he was misued, this article suggests there was at least some of that:

His coaches moved him inside in order to take advantage of his athleticism and strength, even though he was playing at a trim 6-foot-5, 240 pounds last season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645242/article/2016-draft-prospects-that-will-be-better-pros-than-college-playersAll-in-all, not at all my favorite prospect, but at least they'd be thinking "pass rush" if they were to go that route.  Not that I'm enthusiastic about reaching for need, of course.  Pity this draft doesn't look more like 2011 in that regard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Floyd a lot I just think he is a one trick pony right now (speed rusher) for the number 9 pick I think you should get an all around player.  I like Noah Spence could care less about his 40 time, VH3 is another player I like, size is a factor but that’s why you have Banks, Plus if he can be Ronde Barber for the next 10 years draft him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the draft except for the Floyd pickthat pick sucks complete ass but if you swap someone else better in id be down with this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the draft except for the Floyd pickthat pick sucks complete ass but if you swap someone else better in id be down with this.

Agreed.  Sub in Stanley or Spence and that's a winner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am warming up to the Stanley pick. Assuming Ramsey is off the board. Gotta protect our young QB, and good things will happen.

Please wait…

• firecapt27

Participant

Floyd scares me, so boom or bust type of player. His highlight reel is confusing, gets to the ballcarrier in a blur, but when he goes to tackle, he tackles high and tries to sling the player to the ground. He is not thick enough and as someone mentioned “one trick pony” . His speed will be negated at nfl level. I can see why people like him, but not at 9th pick. he seems to me a late 1st , early 2nd round risk at best. buyer beware. Im surprised some analysts rate him so high, he definately needs to be in a system tailored to his traits, but man he is athletic and has decent instincts. Is he only a 3-4 linebacke at nfl level, can he play in a 4-3 scheme?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am warming up to the Stanley pick. Assuming Ramsey is off the board. Gotta protect our young QB, and good things will happen.

Agreed, Stanley would be a nice pick. I don't like Floyd at all, let him go to a 3-4 team where he'll fit better. I also just don't think he'll be anywhere near the best player available there. I wouldn't take him over Lawson/spence/Ogbah and I'm not 100% sure I want those guys at 9.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Followed up with a smaller S?  A smaller safety who is almost a one game wonder?  A safety who has built his reputation for his performance against Georgia Southern?

If you have watched Joseph play, then you'd know he plays much larger than number indicate. A one game wonder? He's been the best player on WVU since he started as freshman. The hardest hitter in college. He even followed that game up with a great game against Oklahoma.Karl Joseph is the 2nd best safety in the draft. Behind only Ramsey who isn't even a pure safety. He has range and good deep half instincts and closes quick in space. He brings down ball carriers who have 50 lbs on him with ease.That's the only pick of the 3 I actually like.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know these are just highlights but i like what I see from Floyd he plays with tenacity and swagger, warmed me a bit upHis height lankyness use of hands during his speed rush reminds me dare I say it Ricehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlXZ_P2xq8Edit* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PIxviv4PKcWatched more and I definitely would not mind the pick, the way he plays is something we can feed off of

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you have watched Joseph play, then you'd know he plays much larger than number indicate. A one game wonder? He's been the best player on WVU since he started as freshman. The hardest hitter in college. He even followed that game up with a great game against Oklahoma.Karl Joseph is the 2nd best safety in the draft. Behind only Ramsey who isn't even a pure safety. He has range and good deep half instincts and closes quick in space. He brings down ball carriers who have 50 lbs on him with ease.That's the only pick of the 3 I actually like.

youre right, I went back and read some more.  I got caught up with his 3 INTs against Georgia southern.

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.