Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• MPOG

Participant

There’s been talk about hiring a new hc or dc that runs a 3-4. This thread isn’t meant to debate that. I’m just curious about how our talent would do in a 3-4, because I don’t know a whole lot about how that defense works. So to those of you who do, would Lavonte move inside to one of the middle positions? And could Gerald move to an outside position on the line?

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

Wouldn’t work

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

GMC is not a typical 3-4 linemen, not big enough especially since he slimmed down. David could be a nice OLB rushing the passer and covering TE’s

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve always wanted to see what McCoy’s quick burst would look like on the edge… and David plays better going forward.Not holding my breath, tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCoy would be a monster 3-4 END in a 1 gap scheme. He’d pretty much shut down the run game if anybody tried to run on that side. Think Sheldon Richardson/Muhammed Wilkerson type. However, David would be useless in the 3-4. Usually the inside backers are bigger.The problem is that base defense it won't matter at the end of the day. We simply don't have OLB capable to rush the passer consistently. We're better off where were at just need to stop playing so aggressive every snap.

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

For our players 4-3 is the best defense we could run, the problem is that the tampa 2 cant work without a pass rush witch we simply just don’t have at the end position. If Lovie would actually Blitz once in awhile maybe we could get a pass rush but nope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gerald could move to a 3-4 DE and have success. His salary is a bit high for that position in that scheme, but it could work.I'd like to see Lavonte slide inside and have us draft/sign an athletic pass rushing DE/OLB for the outside. A 3-4 defense could work with a few tweaks in personnel on the d-line. Look at the additions we've made in just one offseason to the d-line, the same can be done for a 3-4.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty sure the very first time I signed on, I care not remember how long ago save it was a couple life times I’m pretty sure, the sewing club was in full regale trumpeting the imminent move to the 3-4. Indeed they ran plenty of folks off with that stuff.  I'm kind of surprised it took a week to see it again. Good stuff! 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3-4 defensive end plays stand up football and sets the edge. 3-4 DE relies on standing hand to hand combat to beat his opponent when the rip needs to be made.  Gerald does not/ is not effective at that type of play.  Gerald is all thighs and butt.  Gerald plays nose down, shoot the gap football because his legs and his get off are his strength.  Gerald would not be good at 3-4 DT either because you want a space eater there to maintain a balanced center of the LOS while slowly collapsing the pocket.  LVD is great at rushing the passer, but his ability to be a every down pass rusher is capped by his size.  He would be a 8/10 everydown pass rusher.  He's a 10/10 sideline to sideline heady pursuit LB.  While I think LVD would ultimately have success at 3-4 OLB, he would be misused in that role.  On the other hand, I think Kwon would make a good 3-4 OLB.  He plays kind of recklessly, let him pin his ears back and go in that case.  I DO think Lansanah and Bruce Carter could man the middle.  Carter as the tackler and Lansanah in primary coverage - he has a nose for the ball.Ultimately, we've got 2 all-pro guys perfectly fit for the 4-3.  While I think the ceiling for a 3-4 is higher, the 4-3 can do just fine, as long as the rest of the scheme is pretty aggressive.  This passive cover 2 shit is more and more outdated with each passing year, as QB's and WR's become more and more settled in with the new non-contact rules.  We'd have to do a serious roster overhaul on the defense to covert to the 3-4 effectively (I'm talking trade McCoy and LVD for draft picks), and I don't think, a) any of us are down for watching ANOTHER rebuild, or b) that the roster is necessarily the problem.  To me, the problem is Lovie Smith and his outdated play calling.IMO

Please wait…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.