Viewing 54 reply threads

• Author

• bucs449

Participant

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/15/the-pff-101-no-5-lavonte-david/Tampa Bay is a team used to seeing prototypical 4-3 weakside linebackers doing their thing. InDerek Brooks they watched a player who defined the position for over a decade and is now in theHall of Fame, and Lavonte David is his heir apparent.Like Brooks, David is a smaller linebacker but lightening quick and makes up for that lack of size with how fast he can read the play, react to it and blow it up. David ended the season with a +26.4 grade, dwarfing the next best conventional 4-3 OLB’s +14.4 mark (setting aside Von Miller for the moment because of the unique way in which he is deployed).David’s M.O. is to play with speed and play the game in the backfield, showing an ability to close on the football that we haven’t seen from anybody playing his position for a long time. He graded positively in every facet of the game that PFF grades; as a pass rusher, in coverage, against the run and in disciplinary terms when it came to penalties. In a similar tale to that of Gerald McCoy in front of him and Revis behind him, David got little help from the rest of the Tampa Bay linebacking corps.While David was setting things alight, Mason Foster, the only other Bucs linebacker to play more than 270 snaps, was struggling, especially against the run. David notched 32 combined tackles more than Foster, despite playing a position that traditionally yields fewer, and made 45 more defensive stops from those tackles, showing that he was playing closer to the line of scrimmage than Foster was.When it came to Run Stop Percentage David was the best ranked linebacker at his position, making a defensive stop against the run on 13.5% of his snaps, more than 3% better than the next placed linebacker.Best Game: Week 7 vs. Atlanta (+5.0)In this game against the Falcons David was actually beaten in coverage for a touchdown, (his only one of the year) and yet still finished with his highest grade of the season. How? He made nine defensive stops in the game (no other Buc had more than two), three of which were drive-killing plays on third down. Twice he made stops behind the line of scrimmage wrecking plays before they could ever get going.Look at the speed with which he destroys this running play. He crowds the line before beating the block of an offensive lineman quickly and still beats the running back to the corner, forcing the play back inside to his help, shutting it down.Key Stat: Made 83 defensive stops, 21 more than the next best 4-3 OLB.If there’s one number that shows the kind of player David is, it’s this one. Not all tackles are created equal. A tackle 10 yards down field on 3rd-and-7 isn’t a particularly useful play, but one at the line of scrimmage on 3rd-and-2 is. Defensive stops include any tackle that constitutes an offensive failure on the play. Short of the required distance on third and fourth downs, fewer than 40% of the required yards on first down, and so on.David had 21 more stops than any other player at his position. In fact, he more than doubled the stop total for all but seven other 4-3 OLBs. David was making plays closer to the line of scrimmage than anybody else and did it without sacrificing his position in coverage, finishing just behind Carolina LB Thomas Davis at the top of the coverage grades for the position. In short, David was the perfect WLB in that 4-3 scheme in 2013, and may well have been every bit as good as Gerald McCoy in front of him.Like McCoy, David can count himself extremely unlucky to have had such a fine season and yet still be overshadowed by at least two defenders, struggling just to place on the podium for the PFF Defensive Player of the Year standings. That being said, David had an outstanding season, and well deserves his spot at No. 5 in the PFF Top 101.https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/15/the-pff-101-no-4-gerald-mccoy/If there’s a player that timed a great season badly it’s Gerald McCoy. With J.J. Watt and Robert Quinn both re-writing expectations at their positions, Gerald McCoy dominated as a 4-3 defensive tackle in a way we have rarely seen and it almost passed without notice. Such was the shadow cast by the other two.In fact the Bucs 2013 season had three stud defenders, one at each level of the defense, but the supporting cast around each was so poor that it still couldn’t stop them from ranking in the middle of the pack in most defensive categories.Gerald McCoy was a wrecking ball as the Bucs’ three-technique, causing no end of disruption inside as he penetrated the offensive line to generate pressure more than any other player at his position. The 80 total pressures that McCoy notched were eight better than the next best DT (Ndamukong Suh) and his Pass Rushing Productivity score was, again, some way clear of Suh, who was still a distance clear of the chasing pack.What makes McCoy’s performance so impressive is that he was doing it with virtually no help from anyone else on the Buccaneers’ front. Really, it’s tough to overstate how much McCoy was on his own there. He ended the season with a +57.3 grade overall, but was the only Tampa Bay defensive lineman to earn a positive grade for the season. The rest combined for a -84.7 grade! Despite the total dearth of threats outside of McCoy, teams were still unable to prevent him from causing problems inside and if anything he got stronger as the season went on, collecting a sack in his last four consecutive games.McCoy finally got healthy for a full season and showed why many people thought he was the best defensive tackle available in his draft class and not Ndamukong Suh. Best Game:  Week 14 vs. Buffalo (+9.5)The Bills’ offensive line was much maligned in some corners but actually played pretty well last season, especially when it came to pass protection. We charged two Bills quarterbacks with more sacks than any of their linemen in 2013 and as a unit they actually had the fifth-best Pass Blocking Efficiency figure, allowing only 148 total pressures, again good for fifth in the league.Despite those numbers the Bills allowed McCoy to tear through them to the tune of one sack, two knockdowns and four hurries. He also batted down a pass at the line and all five tackles he made on the day were defensive stops. This was McCoy at his most destructive, wreaking havoc behind the line of scrimmage, despite the rest of the Bucs’ defensive line combining for just 11 total pressures between seven players.Take this play as an example. He powers through the B-gap despite traffic to his outside, causing a rushed throw from the quarterback that ultimately fell incomplete. This is a great example of the positive effect a strong pass-rush can have even if the play doesn’t result in a sack for the rusher.Key Stat: His 80 total pressures was bettered by just four other players; three edge rushers and Watt.Gerald McCoy has become the prototypical 3-technique or under tackle in a 4-3. He is the pass-rushing player on the interior of a four-man line and the player usually tasked with beating a guard one-on-one and disrupting plays in the backfield. McCoy has become as good as anybody at shooting gaps and playing on the opposing side of the line of scrimmage. The level of pressure he has been able to generate playing on the inside, despite little help around him, is remarkable.In any other year McCoy would likely be the Defensive Player of the Year, but in 2013 he couldn’t even be the first runner up in that category at PFF. Despite being overshadowed by the years Watt and Quinn had, McCoy should not go without notice and he is well worth his place at No. 4 on the PFF Top 101.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie must be salivating about those two guys in his defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Better not let that short bus kid JC5100 see this.  Will start a rant about how DT/LB are meaningless positions in “today’s NFL”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

PFF continues to be a joke and show they don’t know anything.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Tampa Bay is a team used to seeing prototypical 4-3 weakside linebackers doing their thing. In Derek Brooks they watched a player…Good start.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

PFF continues to be a joke and show they don't know anything.

The hatred of good Buccaneer football players continues.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Better not let that short bus kid JC5100 see this.  Will start a rant about how DT/LB are meaningless positions in "today's NFL"

Wouldn't allow a DT and 4-3 LB on the list.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Better not let that short bus kid JC5100 see this.  Will start a rant about how DT/LB are meaningless positions in "today's NFL"

And he just gets dumber by the post...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Almost as if on cue...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its amazing, isn't it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Almost as if on cue...

Really we should assemble all his posts and send it off because it is the written account of a mental breakdown. Rare stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Having our "best" (and in McCoy's case expensive) players at meaningless positions is why BAD Buccaneers football continues.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Guess having Sapp and Brooks back then was pretty meaningless too?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Talking about players drafted 19 years ago. Different league now.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

True . People need to stop hating on Mike Glennon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, a league that puts a premium on passing. Definitely don’t want to put pressure on guys like Brees, Ryan, or Newton. Why would we want to do that? Just bring back Freeturd and he’ll save the day…as long as puts down the rolled up $100 bill and stops acting like a walking Pez-dispenser.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, a league that puts a premium on passing. Definitely don't want to put pressure on guys like Brees, Ryan, or Newton. Why would we want to do that?

McCoy doesn't do it.

Just bring back Freeturd and he'll save the day...as long as puts down the rolled up $100 bill and stops acting like a walking Pez-dispenser.

He saved the day over and over. Wasn't enough to save this retched franchise though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, a league that puts a premium on passing. Definitely don't want to put pressure on guys like Brees, Ryan, or Newton. Why would we want to do that?

McCoy doesn't do it.

Just bring back Freeturd and he'll save the day...as long as puts down the rolled up $100 bill and stops acting like a walking Pez-dispenser.

He saved the day over and over. Wasn't enough to save this retched franchise though.

Wow. Just another soul desperate for attention. You make this a sad place.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David over Kuechly? That might upset a guy I know….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OK so pass rusher and pass defender. The top pass rushing DT and the top coverage LB aren’t valuable in a pass happy league. Look you want to argue Goldson and Barron are wastes of space and that you should never pay Doug Martin one thin dime on a second contract I’m there with you but two guys who are the best at suppressing passing are insanely valuable in the modern NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCoy and David were so important to pass defense we wouldn’t have been #32 in 2012.  the pieces that matter, defensive backs and defensive ends, sucked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCoy and David were so important to pass defense we wouldn't have been #32 in 2012.  the pieces that matter, defensive backs and defensive ends, sucked.

Classic example of misattribution. It was the coaching that caused the #32 ranked pass defense that year, not just the players...... BLITZ!!!!DT and LB are important in pass defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where exactly are they wrong?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

SD…  Assume blue font for frgs post

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCoy and David were so important to pass defense we wouldn't have been #32 in 2012.  the pieces that matter, defensive backs and defensive ends, sucked.

Hey there is a diving competition at the skyway. Need a ride?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just looked at the entire list.  That’s the crappiest ranking I’ve ever seen.  I guess I know not to read anything else from that PFF site.  I’d never heard of it until now.  Obviously I was better off.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

FRG and Java are right. PFF is great for tallying numbers. When they start to falter is when they try to decipher meaningful conclusions from their numbers .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David over Kuechly? That might upset a guy I know....

I just looked at the entire list.  That's the crappiest ranking I've ever seen.  I guess I know not to read anything else from that PFF site.  I'd never heard of it until now.  Obviously I was better off.

Nailed-it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL @ Kuechly being #80. What a god damn disgrace it was he won DPOY.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

I guess PFF's grading metric downgrades for jumping on piles late and being dragged for 5 yards after initial contact ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That was funny. BTW, were the fork is Ruud nowadays?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That was funny. BTW, were the fork is Ruud nowadays?

Ruud was signed by the Texans after Cushing got hurt...but it seems he has been released...he is no longer on their roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess PFF's grading metric downgrades for jumping on piles late and being dragged for 5 yards after initial contact ?

The scouting report is out on Keuchly. In on a lot of plays and is above average against the pass but struggles to take on lead blockers and lineman in power running schemes which is rough for a MLB. The NFL is moving away from that type of stuff and the division he plays in doesn't feature a ton of power schemes, now Schiano is gone it's even less. He's a good player and probably should be in the top 50.

Please wait…

• Masterchief

Participant

McCoy doesn't do it.

Only thing 'wretched' here is your disdain for two of our best players, based off some asinine theory of yours that somehow they are inferior because "Its a passing league".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The scouting report is out on Keuchly. In on a lot of plays and is above average against the pass but struggles to take on lead blockers and lineman in power running schemes which is rough for a MLB. The NFL is moving away from that type of stuff and the division he plays in doesn't feature a ton of power schemes, now Schiano is gone it's even less. He's a good player and probably should be in the top 50.

This is a popular narrative, but the numbers don't back it up. PFF ranked Kuechly #3 in run stop percentage in 2013, behind only Brandon Spikes and Paul Posluszny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Run stopping, I’m sure. He stops a ton of runs. I didn’t say he couldn’t stop the run, I said he struggles to disengage lead blockers and lineman. What I’m insinuating is that he lacks the strength/power part of his game that the true great MLB such as Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher and so on had. Like I said, the game is becoming more Finesse so he may well be ahead of the curve. We’ll see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Run stopping, I'm sure. He stops a ton of runs. I didn't say he couldn't stop the run, I said he struggles to disengage lead blockers and lineman. What I'm insinuating is that he lacks the strength/power part of his game that the true great MLB such as Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher and so on had. Like I said, the game is becoming more Finesse so he may well be ahead of the curve. We'll see.

I think the line between finesse and strength and Kuechly and Lewis, Willis, and Urlacher is a lot closer than you think. No 240 lb player has the strength to overpower a 300+ guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6oRy0p5Byo

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hard to believe Brees was #60 and Brady was #90.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brady did not have his best season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brady did not have his best season.

Tends to happen when your top 3 weapons are gone and you are trying to make due with rooks.  Considering all the skill players they lost before the season and then 7 starters on D I thought they did amazingly well. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So we had the  4th, 5th and 18th player on this list and were ranked 17th! 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Btw, micheal Bennett was 16th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Run stopping, I'm sure. He stops a ton of runs. I didn't say he couldn't stop the run, I said he struggles to disengage lead blockers and lineman. What I'm insinuating is that he lacks the strength/power part of his game that the true great MLB such as Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher and so on had. Like I said, the game is becoming more Finesse so he may well be ahead of the curve. We'll see.

I think the line between finesse and strength and Kuechly and Lewis, Willis, and Urlacher is a lot closer than you think. No 240 lb player has the strength to overpower a 300+ guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6oRy0p5Byo

Kuechly benched 27 reps at the combine.  Same as Urlacher.  5 more than Willis or Foster.  I don’t know what Lewis did but he was only 235 back them so I doubt it was any better.  Kuechly is a lot closer to Urlacher than the popular opinion around here that he is another Ruud.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Luke Weakly

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So we had the  4th, 5th and 18th player on this list and were ranked 17th!

Yeah, Schiano was pretty terrible, wasn't he?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup. Cant wait to see how good this team is with a real staff in charge.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Put the realest staff you want in charge, but if the starting QB turns into a doped up psycho intent on destroying the team, and the media helps him out, and the fans are stupid enough to believe it, and the fans are stupid enough to believe it, and then you throw in a MRSA outbreak, well… things probably aren’t going to go well. Schiano was clearly not ready for the NFL, but he wasn’t near as bad as the butthurt crew likes to portray him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Put the realest staff you want in charge, but if the starting QB turns into a doped up psycho intent on destroying the team, and the media helps him out, and the fans are stupid enough to believe it, and the fans are stupid enough to believe it, and then you throw in a MRSA outbreak, well... things probably aren't going to go well. Schiano was clearly not ready for the NFL, but he wasn't near as bad as the butthurt crew likes to portray him.

(1) ^ Thats some serious irony right there.(2) Schiano wasn't that bad, thats why he had all those other job offers...oh, wait...

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Why was Lovie unemployed last year? Oh, that’s right, he had no job offers.Seriously dude, try to move past the butthurt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Put the realest staff you want in charge, but if the starting QB turns into a doped up psycho intent on destroying the team, and the media helps him out, and the fans are stupid enough to believe it, and the fans are stupid enough to believe it, and then you throw in a MRSA outbreak, well... things probably aren't going to go well. Schiano was clearly not ready for the NFL, but he wasn't near as bad as the butthurt crew likes to portray him.

except none of that stuff really effected the defense and with 3 elite defensive players and several more adequate starters they were ranked mid pack. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why was Lovie unemployed last year? Oh, that's right, he had no job offers.Seriously dude, try to move past the butthurt.

he could of had a DC position if he wanted it.  Best nfl job Schiano could have hoped for was being a position coach for his buddy Belichick and that didn’t even happen.  But in the interest if fairness I’ll give him this year and let’s see if he get a nfl HC job offer like Lovie did.  Want to make a bet?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell, Pedophile State University didn’t even want him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why was Lovie unemployed last year? Oh, that's right, he had no job offers.Seriously dude, try to move past the butthurt.

Sorry son, I dont get butt hurt when guys like you call the fans stupid by repeating yourself in the same sentence.  I also dont get butt hurt when someone marginal fails at their job and isnt offered another one. 

Please wait…

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.