Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

Arians doesn’t want to call plays again, and says he might quit if he loses Leftwich, who he trusts to call the plays. PFT then concludes that in order to keep Leftwich in the fold and to get Brady to extend his deal past next season that the Bucs should promise Leftwch the HC job once Arians retires. Are you ready to see the HC job handed to Leftwich?

From PFT: Bruce Arians has made it clear that he’ll be back in 2021. If he had lost offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich to a head-coaching job elsewhere, that may not have been the case.

Appearing Thursday on The Herd, Arians said that he’d consider retiring only if he he had to go back to calling offensive plays.

“If I lost Byron or Todd [Bowles], I’d have to think about [quitting] because not losing any coaches this year makes next year so much easier and so much easier to repeat,” Arians said. “But once you start deleting your coaching staff, I don’t want to go back to calling plays. And Byron right now is still the only guy I trust doing it. And I’d have to think long and hard if I was going to lose him.”

While the failure of any team to even interview Leftwich for a head-coaching job made it much easier for Arians to return, things could get interesting after the coming season. If Leftwich begins to receive head-coaching interest, the Bucs could end up losing both Leftwich and Arians if someone else hires Leftwich and Arians then retires.

The best plan for the Bucs, then, could be to promise the job to Leftwich whenever Arians retires. Before Tom Brady agrees to extend his contract beyond 2021, he may insist on that kind of an arrangement.

• harrybucman

Participant

I trust in Bruce, he’s delivered so far why doubt him now.

• Pennywise

Participant

Been saying it for a year

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I’d like Brady to be the default OC.

I don’t trust Bruce, but I do trust Brady, who altered Bruce’s offense to help the Bucs win a Super Bowl.

• harrybucman

Participant

That’s a flat out lie.

• Pennywise

Participant

Tom moore on lefty

“I’ll say this to you. I’ve been around a long time. Byron is absolutely fantastic,” Moore said. “He is a great presenter of game plans. He has a great rapport with people. He had a great rapport with Tom [Brady]. And in my personal opinion, Bruce has done a fantastic job of training Bryon to be a head coach. He trained him to be a coordinator, and Bruce lets him go.

“Now Bruce gave up playcalling, which was very, very dear to Bruce and he loved it. But he has so much faith and so much trust in Byron that he gave it up to him and let him do it. And he’s done a great job. And as I’ve told people, he just had a four week interview with the four playoff games. It is what it is; if you don’t like that, I don’t know what you like.”

“[Leftwich is] really good. I sit in on most all these meetings, not to check on him or anything like that. I learn stuff, too.”

Moore went on to compare Leftwich to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in his burning desire to be a superior head coach, always eager to learn and grow.

“I’m surprised he didn’t get interviewed this year,” Moore said, adding he is confident Leftwich will be a truly great head coach.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I’m definitely on board with Leftwich or Bowles as the next hc if Arians hangs them up after this season. Excited to see how our attempt to repeat goes. I think if they pull that off I think Arians and Brady both retire.

• theknees

Participant

Yeah, our next head coach will be Bowles. Lefty isn’t head coaching material. He’s in his sweet spot as an OC. Doesn’t have the personality strong enough to be the head coach. And honestly, from what I hear, he’s not interested in being a head coach.

• BucBalla85

Participant

That would be a win for Tampa. As hard as it will be to keep winning after Brady leaves, keeping those two here helps keep some continuity with who is still here and has a few big names to draw some free agent interest. The biggest thing will be finding a long term solution at qb before all that goes down.

• Donkey

Participant

I’d be ok with giving him a shot.

• aquilus

Participant

I think this is Todd Bowles job to lose

If we have a high powered offense this year like many of us are expecting I see Lefty going on to make his own mark.

I dont see the market for Todd Bowles being as large and I think his time as the Jets HC is a mark on his record

I think Bowles is the HCIW

• Pennywise

Participant

Bowles was a awful hc ,better coordinator, easy pass.

• Bucman

Participant

Leftwich is almost guaranteed to be the Bucs HC in 2022. Unless the Bucs completely suck and go 0-16.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.