Viewing 112 reply threads

• Author

• TBChucky

Participant

Well folks, it seems like only a matter of time before the Redskins have to change their franchise name. How we get all the way to 2014 before people found it too offensive to tolerate is beyond me. But I hate the ‘Skins anyways, so lets have some fun with it. What's your choice of a new name for Dan Schneider's team?I'm feeling the Washington Savages or the Washington Foreskins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Redskins don’t have to change their name and won’t. There’s only one power on this planet that has the power to try, the NFL. If the other owners force Dan to change the name it will happen otherwise there’s not a chance in hell it changes. On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is winning the lottery and 10 is everyone dies I’d say this rates about a 2.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree. The climate is different than it was in 1999, the reverse on appeal is far less certain. The fact that 50 senators signed a petition to have the name changed is more significant than what a lot of fans seem to think. Also, with the advent of the Internet, it’s much easier to organize demonstrations than it was in 1999. This is a distraction that the NFL doesn’t need and it’s not going away, it’s gaining more momentum. Name change is now inevitable. The largest organized tribe is now bankrolling the effort to change the name. It WILL happen. What I don't really understand is why Synder is so against the change, there is a great opportunity here to appear sensitive to the plight of the American Indian and make a TON of new money by changing the name and selling new merchandise. It may take a few years, but the name change IS going to happen. This problem has been active for almost 20 years, and it's getting more attention, it will continue to get more until it changes. JMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Given that the Senate leader helped lead the foolish charge here, perhaps we should rename them the “Reid-skins”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree. The climate is different than it was in 1999, the reverse on appeal is far less certain. The fact that 50 senators signed a petition to have the name changed is more significant than what a lot of fans seem to think. Also, with the advent of the Internet, it's much easier to organize demonstrations than it was in 1999. This is a distraction that the NFL doesn't need and it's not going away, it's gaining more momentum. Name change is now inevitable. The largest organized tribe is now bankrolling the effort to change the name. It WILL happen. What I don't really understand is why Synder is so against the change, there is a great opportunity here to appear sensitive to the plight of the American Indian and make a TON of new money by changing the name and selling new merchandise. It may take a few years, but the name change IS going to happen. This problem has been active for almost 20 years, and it's getting more attention, it will continue to get more until it changes. JMO.

The Redskins have common law protection so yesterday's ruling and the following appeal is only to get federal protection which is CHEAPER for them to protect vs protecting their trademarks in all 50 states. It's purely a money matter. People can complain all they want but it isn't going to change the name anymore then PETA freaks can stop people from eating meat. I'd bet 6 digits on the fact the name won't change. There's just no profit in changing the name either. New merchandise is governed by profit sharing so changing the Redskins would be a very margin increase in revenue for a LARGE cost. The other 30 teams (Cowboys are excluded) would receive the gain that Synder paid for. You'd need all the owners to cover that cost before Synder even considers it. Don't take my word for it we can revisit this in a few years.Some old quotes:Google "Common Law" or read the FAQ's on the US Patent offices site on it. You know the same organization that started this thread."What are “common law” rights?Federal registration is not required to establish rights in a trademark.  Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark and may allow the common law user to successfully challenge a registration or application."http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jsp"If a sports fan decides to produce and sell Washington Redskins gear without obtaining advance permission from the team, and the gear creates a false representation that it originated from the NFL’s Washington Redskins organization, then that fan may be in violation of improperly benefiting from the use of the team’s common law protected trademark and be forced to pay damages related to the infringing use."http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/06/18/loss-of-redskins-trademark-registration-is-overblown/http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/06/18/todays-ruling-does-not-mean-you-can-open-your-own-redskins-merchandise-shop/

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

They should not change the name unless the redskins choose to. Otherwise let the free market decide by choosing to support or not support the redskins. If they are forced to change it, they should go with a name that actually should offend our entire country.The Washington Benghazi Cover UpsThe Washington IRS Consevative TargetsThe Washington Affordable Health Care DebaclesThe Washington National DebtsThe Washington Corrupt PoliticiansThe Washington Illegal ImmigrantsThe Washington IncompetentsThese are just a few to start.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should not change the name unless the redskins choose to. Otherwise let the free market decide by choosing to support or not support the redskins. If they are forced to change it, they should go with a name that offends our country.The Washington Benghazi Cover UpsThe Washington IRS Consevative TargetsThe Washington Affordable Health Care DebaclesThe Washington National DebtsThe Washington Corrupt PoliticiansThese are just a few to start.

Be creative and think of something a team might use like "The Washington Pigheads". :p

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

American Indian’s didn’t adopt the wheel as transportation so this thing could drag on for centuries.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Washington Very Dark-skinned Negroes

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The Schnide.He could be talked into it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the problem with watching Fox News. No one is forcing the Redskins to change their name. They are simply removing the trademark protection afforded them because of their offensive name, as governed by US law. It’s up to the Redskins whether or not the they accept that anyone can use their name and trademark. Well, them and the rest of the NFL owners, who will lose their share of income from unlicensed merchandise. As for a suggested name, I know many are trying to be witty but in all seriousness, I think they should change their name to Washington Renegades. They can still use the indian logo (the trademark was not removed for that) or their R logo and keep their Indian motif.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“…lets have some fun with it. What's your choice of a new name for Dan Schneider's team?"Seems the point of the thread was entirely missed by most.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"...lets have some fun with it. What's your choice of a new name for Dan Schneider's team?"Seems the point of the thread was entirely missed by most.

What day dreaming 101? Let's pretend Freeman rejoins the team as the starting QB while we're thinking of things that will never happen. I'll just sit here and pretend I won the $400+ million powerball drawing then blew it all on booze and women.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The thread clearly stated its purpose. Since that’s not something you’re interested in, what are you even doing here?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He wants to show us all how much he knows about Trademark law.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The thread clearly stated its purpose. Since that's not something you're interested in, what are you even doing here?

Someone has to bring some reality into the Ringling College of Art and Design here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually I'm just pointing out how little most people know. It's funny how they react since everyone knows everything on the internet.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Mighty considerate of you, jackwagon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mighty considerate of you, jackwagon.

That's Mr. Jackwagon to you. I'll be here all day kicking your six if you let me.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

I'll be here all day licking your six if you let me.

Get lost, weirdo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Redskins don't have to change their name and won't. There's only one power on this planet that has the power to try, the NFL. If the other owners force Dan to change the name it will happen otherwise there's not a chance in hell it changes. On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is winning the lottery and 10 is everyone dies I'd say this rates about a 2.

So, to be clear, there's no way that they will change their name unless they do. Clear as mud!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The thread clearly stated its purpose. Since that's not something you're interested in, what are you even doing here?

Someone has to bring some reality into the Ringling College of Art and Design here.

Of course, but what are you even doing here? That was the question.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Redskins don't have to change their name and won't. There's only one power on this planet that has the power to try, the NFL. If the other owners force Dan to change the name it will happen otherwise there's not a chance in hell it changes. On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is winning the lottery and 10 is everyone dies I'd say this rates about a 2.

So, to be clear, there's no way that they will change their name unless they do. Clear as mud!

Ringling grad I see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kicking your ass and taking numbers. I'll be here all day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Washington Silly nannies

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll be here all day licking your six if you let me.

Get lost, weirdo.

How can I get lost if you want me to lick your six. You made up the weirdo stuff not me. I'd never suggest licking your six but somehow you would!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The Washington Mayhem and Six Lickers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Washington Mayhem and Six Lickers.

Hell yea!  The Washington Mayhem and Ozymandias Six Lickers. That's got a ring to it. Gigggity!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        You might want to stop while you can. I won't that's for sure!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

There's no reason to call them the Ozymandias Six Lickers. I don't need a whole team, I've already got you for that assignment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All day really? Oh, right, you have to count the numbers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's no reason to call them the Ozymandias Six Lickers. I don't need a whole team, I've already got you for that assignment.

Six Lickers, plural. You obviously do NEED a whole team!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess in your case I can make an exception and leave. You kick your own ass so I not needed. Doh!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess in your case I can make an exception and leave. You kick your own ass so I not needed. Doh!

Hey leave me out of it. I'm not the guy posturing as an internet tough guy. I'm sorry you not needed. I needed, most people needed. Why we talking like this? Is this another jibe at Native Americans?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey leave me out of it.

No thanks! Your handle reminds me of my consulting days with Axon so you've become my new friend.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would love to see one thread where people dont piss on each other….but alas

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would love to see one thread where people dont piss on each other....but alas

Try the Atlanta Falcon's forums.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Washington Navahoes with some beautiful native american girl as the logo

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did the Washington Bullets change their name for PC purposes? Washington GeneralsWashington StatesmenWashington NativesWashington Snappers (crab as a logo, hilarious)Trying to get this thread back on track 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Washington Navahoes with some beautiful native american girl as the logo

That has my vote. It needs to be a provocative native american girl in the logo though!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually I'm just pointing out how little most people know. It's funny how they react since everyone knows everything on the internet.

I just can't fathom the NFL or the owners being alright with anyone making money off one of their teams. I think the only way they keep the name is if they get the trademark back, IMO..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey leave me out of it.

No thanks! Your handle reminds me of my consulting days with Axon so you've become my new friend.

Ax is a good poster.But back on topic.. Maybe the washington hops? It's the "coolest" of their exports, and who can say they hate hops? It's better than the washington raspberries, which would be another they have a lot of.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just can't fathom the NFL or the owners being alright with anyone making money off one of their teams. I think the only way they keep the name is if they get the trademark back, IMO..

They wouldn't be ok with people making off off the name but they have common law trademark rights protecting them no matter what so they can legally halt people doing that and sue them for losses. The only thing that is in jeopardy is FEDERAL rights not state rights. They still control the name at all 50 states level so no one can use the name without their permission.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How about the Washington 18 5 4 19 11 9 14 19?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How about the Washington 18 5 4 19 11 9 14 19?

I'm pretty sure the navajo code talkers could break this pretty easily

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did the Washington Bullets change their name for PC purposes?

Yup.  It's all PC, all the time nowadays.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Name them whatever the local indian tribes name is…or Warriors.not hard at all.  not that I give a crap either way.  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The pussification of American continues

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is nonsense!!

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

the group objecting has the courts and a PR battle, so that’s like two shots to get the change

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just changed the stupid name. It’s the same as if they were named the Washington Coloreds. It’s offensive to a group of people. The NFL wants to penalize players for saying the N word so how could a whole team be named after a derogatory word? It’s stupid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is nonsense!!

NONSENSE!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Washington Prairie Monkeys seems like the best option.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing beats: Washington NavaHOES. A sweet logo of a provocative Native American chick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing beats: Washington NavaHOES. A sweet logo of a provocative Native American chick.

I see you're finally entering the acceptance stage of the grieving process, thats cute. Now who thinks this will stop him from continuing to flood the board with his sophomoric retorts? Yea probably not, but we could always hope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As a shot back at a meddling congress how about the “Washington 17 Trillion Dollars ” as a homage to our national debt. Then change it every year to the debt number.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How about the Los Angeles Redskins? That would be exciting…  :D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or if they don’t move, a more accurate representation would be the Washington Wastrels !!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Washington Redskin Potatoes ? ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see you're finally entering the acceptance stage of the grieving process, thats cute. Now who thinks this will stop him from continuing to flood the board with his sophomoric retorts? Yea probably not, but we could always hope.

I've already said I post what I want, when I want, how I want. You can hope for anything but that's none of my concern.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It doesn’t matter what they change their name to as long as RGIII is the QB there they will be horrible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've already said I post what I want, when I want, how I want. You can hope for anything but that's none of my concern.

Whatever kid, I wish you luck throughout your slowgoing maturation process.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lolz

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Racist replacement names for the redskins.The Washington Spearchuckers.The Washington Porchmonkeys.The Washington WASPs.The Washington Crackers.The Washington Homophobes.The Washington Wetbacks.The Washington Honkies.The Washington skinheads.I just think it would be hilariously funny if they agreed to change the name, and then change it to something far worse than the original.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It doesn't matter what they change their name to as long as RGIII is the QB there they will be horrible.

Still a FAR better QB than anyone on this Buccaneers roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It doesn't matter what they change their name to as long as RGIII is the QB there they will be horrible.

........and he proved it last year, in his SECOND season in God Shanahan's system, by throwing for 3 less TDs and 3 more picks than Glennon.  You need to get educated on this game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

........and he proved it last year, in his SECOND season in God Shanahan's system, by throwing for 3 less TDs and 3 more picks than Glennon.  You need to get educated on this game.

Someone is emotional. Stop! Or you won't win your billions betting on football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone is emotional. Stop! Or you won't win your billions betting on football.

Ha! If you dont like gambling or just "root for your team" , that's cool, I get it, You wouldn't do well betting, too emotional.When the facts are emotions, please let me know.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ha! If you dont like gambling or just "root for your team" , that's cool, I get it, You wouldn't do well betting, too emotional.When the facts are emotions, please let me know.

I don't bet on sports. That's just me. Again, you don't list facts; you list your emotions. Your trolling is getting weak.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't bet on sports. That's just me. Again, you don't list facts; you list your emotions. Your trolling is getting weak.

So RGIII didn't throw 16 TDs and 12 Ints last season?  Weird.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stats? Okay. Glennon was the leader of the worst offense in the NFL last year. Weird.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stats? Okay. Glennon was the leader of the worst offense in the NFL last year. Weird.

Are those stats?  Was he the leader?  Piss poor my boy, piss poor.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tampa Bay was the worst offense in the NFL last year. No? He was the QB. No? Compare him to other QB's last year. No? Seriously, you are a moron.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tampa Bay was the worst offense in the NFL last year. No? He was the QB. No? Compare him to other QB's last year. No? Seriously, you are a moron.

Too emotional. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The whole thing is dumb IMO. No matter what you do, someone, somewhere, will disapprove. Assuming Snyder does change the name, whats next? The global warming crowd demanding the Chargers change their name? After all, producing electricity is causing global warming they claim. And we can't have a NFL team offending anyone with their team name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The whole thing is dumb IMO. No matter what you do, someone, somewhere, will disapprove. Assuming Snyder does change the name, whats next? The global warming crowd demanding the Chargers change their name? After all, producing electricity is causing global warming they claim. And we can't have a NFL team offending anyone with their team name.

This made me laugh.  I am sure some time in the1600's there were some atrocities committed by "Buccaneers".  Perhaps a renaming is in order, with even newer uniforms and logo?Edit: God, I hope not.  I don't want another offseason full of fashion critics debating colors and design.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All while recovering from a torn ACL, please, learn what a good QB looks like. You've been watching your relative (Glennon) play for too long.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To me.. It's less about being actually offended and hurt. It's more about calling yourself the Redskins is just tacky. Mexico could have a team called the Veracruz Gringos with Uncle Sam as the mascot and I'd just think it was ridiculous. Maybe I just don't get offended.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“The global warming crowd demanding the Chargers change their name? After all, producing electricity is causing global warming they claim.”You really come up with some absurd crap. Is it that awkward to defend your position?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Michael Sam demanding the Packers change their because Fudge Packer is a hurtful term.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Michael Sam demanding the Packers change their because Fudge Packer is a hurtful term.

Packers are named after the Indian Packing Company. Why do you think the team was named after a gay slur?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Packers are named after the Indian Packing Company. Why do you think the team was named after a gay slur?

Doesn't matter what they were named for, words evolve or that's what the anti Redskins brigade would have us believe.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doesn't matter what they were named for, words evolve or that's what the anti Redskins brigade would have us believe.

What the heck can redskin mean other than people with red skin? AKA native americans?Personally I don't find it offensive, just insanely tackey. Like when I took my 90 year old uncle out to lunch and he had comments about the "colored waitress".I wasn't offended but jeez there's just some things we don't do in polite company.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Your dumbass didn’t realize that was a joke ? Pull it together Lord Beavis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Your dumbass didn't realize that was a joke ? Pull it together Lord Beavis.

Weren't you supposed to give up imaginary friends? Giving up your alternate accounts might help too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pull it together , Beavis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude who are you talking to? I don’t know much about magic mushrooms, but maybe you should stop partying with Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"The global warming crowd demanding the Chargers change their name? After all, producing electricity is causing global warming they claim."You really come up with some absurd crap. Is it that awkward to defend your position?

That was the point. Try to keep up.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

A point you failed to make with your non sequitur. Put more effort into listening to what you’re being told and stop wasting it on futile attempts at looking witty.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What the heck can redskin mean other than people with red skin? AKA native americans?Personally I don't find it offensive, just insanely tackey. Like when I took my 90 year old uncle out to lunch and he had comments about the "colored waitress".I wasn't offended but jeez there's just some things we don't do in polite company.

It could mean (like one of the explanation for the term says) that it was to do with the red pigment they put on their skin (Beothuk with red ochre), not the actual skin itself.This wasn't even a slur until the PC Brigade decided they needed something else to whine about so went out and found a few liquored up &/or money hungry Native Americans to give their "they're offended" BS credibility.This isn't about people being offended, it's about some white "do gooders" wanting to feel important and some Native Americans looking for a big handout from the team.I really want one of the PC brigade to explain the following to me.If the term Redskin is as offensive to Native Americans as the N word is to African Americans why do you still say the word Redskins while talking about the subject rather than calling it the R word? Seems it's not as bad.Why is it just the NFL team that has the deepest pockets that is the issue here, there are sports teams on reservations that are run by Native Americans that are called the Redskins, why isn't this a blanket thing rather than attacking only the one that can pay out the most?If it's so offensive why are those Native American schools using the name for their sports teams, you go find me one example of a largely African American school using the term Ni**ers as the team name.Why is the name of an NFL team at the top of your list of offensive things to attack, it's a lowly sports team while there is an entire City and State out there called Red People, isn't that offensive too or is it that you know the eventual payout to shut the hell u will be bigger from Danny than the government?Please can you find me an example of the term Redskin being used as a racist term at any point in recent history or a person who when they hear the term instantly thinks "insult" rather than "crappy Washington football team." Surely if it's so offensive but has only recently become such a huge issue there must be some recent trigger.The PC brigade likes to say that the meaning of words evolve so while the term wasn't originally meant as a slur when the Native American themselves came up with it it changed into that over time, well couldn't the same happen the other way where the term has now evolved away from being a slur, you really think when they were naming the team they though "I know, lets find some degrading and insulting name that we can use to offend a large number of people." Why are you even offended by a word? Are you really that much of a mental lightweight that mere words can cause you distress to the point that you campaign for garbage like this, to me that says you have personal issues far larger than the perceived one you a fighting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It could mean (like one of the explanation for the term says) that it was to do with the red pigment they put on their skin (Beothuk with red ochre), not the actual skin itself.This wasn't even a slur until the PC Brigade decided they needed something else to whine about so went out and found a few liquored up &/or money hungry Native Americans to give their "they're offended" BS credibility.This isn't about people being offended, it's about some white "do gooders" wanting to feel important and some Native Americans looking for a big handout from the team.I really want one of the PC brigade to explain the following to me.If the term Redskin is as offensive to Native Americans as the N word is to African Americans why do you still say the word Redskins while talking about the subject rather than calling it the R word? Seems it's not as bad.Why is it just the NFL team that has the deepest pockets that is the issue here, there are sports teams on reservations that are run by Native Americans that are called the Redskins, why isn't this a blanket thing rather than attacking only the one that can pay out the most?If it's so offensive why are those Native American schools using the name for their sports teams, you go find me one example of a largely African American school using the term Ni**ers as the team name.Why is the name of an NFL team at the top of your list of offensive things to attack, it's a lowly sports team while there is an entire City and State out there called Red People, isn't that offensive too or is it that you know the eventual payout to shut the hell u will be bigger from Danny than the government?Please can you find me an example of the term Redskin being used as a racist term at any point in recent history or a person who when they hear the term instantly thinks "insult" rather than "crappy Washington football team." Surely if it's so offensive but has only recently become such a huge issue there must be some recent trigger.The PC brigade likes to say that the meaning of words evolve so while the term wasn't originally meant as a slur when the Native American themselves came up with it it changed into that over time, well couldn't the same happen the other way where the term has now evolved away from being a slur, you really think when they were naming the team they though "I know, lets find some degrading and insulting name that we can use to offend a large number of people." Why are you even offended by a word? Are you really that much of a mental lightweight that mere words can cause you distress to the point that you campaign for garbage like this, to me that says you have personal issues far larger than the perceived one you a fighting.

You assume a lot about the "PC crowd's" intentions without talking to them... I'll do my best to answer it for you.1. In my experience, the N word is "scary" to say because white people here seem to think that saying it will make black person go crazy and physically attack you. Like they're some sort of animal or something.2. The Washington Redskins are a nationally known team. Your average person has never heard of a high school team called the Redskins. I haven't!3. Why? I dunno. You'd have to ask them.4. An NFL team is seen more. I imagine it could be a domino effect. NFL team straightens up, and others are likely to follow. I've never heard of a state called Red People? That would be a tacky name and I hope they'd change it to something classy. I passed by a Burnt Corn, AL once. I laughed a little too hard on that road trip.5. Redskin used as a derogatory word? First google result :PThe earliest known appearance of the term in print occurred on October 9, 1813 in an article quoting a letter dated August 27, 1813 from a gentleman at St. Louis concerning an expedition being formed and to be led by Gen. Benjamin Howard to "route the savages from the Illinois and Mississippi territories[.]" "The expedition will be 40 days out, and there is no doubt but we shall have to contend with powerful hordes of red skins, as our frontiers have been lined with them last summer, and have had frequent skirmishes with our regulars and rangers.""The state reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth.""A linguistic analysis of 42 books published between 1875 and 1930 shows that negative contexts in the use of redskin were significantly more frequent than positive usage"And this sums up my opinion: "As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness."Identifying someone by skin color is just tacky. I believe "Caucasian" is slowly encroaching on "white". As we're starting to call blacks "African American" which is a mouthful so I've stuck with black. Idk about other people, but I'd rather be identified as "that guy in the green shirt with brown hair" than "that white guy". Race is an awful construct that only divides us from out fellow human beings who are ALL members of the human race. If we all had the same skin color, there'd be something else to create an "us vs them" mentality. It's how our ancestral tribes functioned though according to people that research that stuffBasically it's a tacky and outdated name. Washington shouldn't be FORCED to change it. They should man up and change it. Be the Warriors or Braves and get it over with. Or go with my ideas and pick a name and logo that are actually friggen cool. Like the Sharks or Dragons or Knights.Other teams that have lame nicknames IMO: Packers, 49ers, Steelers, Oilers (glad that's gone), Texans (doh!), Jets, Bills, and BrownsTeams with meh nicknames: Titans, Giants, Chiefs, Cardinals (how is that remotely intimidating?) Patriots, Raiders and Bucs are doing it right  8)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the term Redskin is as offensive to Native Americans as the N word is to African Americans why do you still say the word Redskins while talking about the subject rather than calling it the R word? Seems it's not as bad.Why is it just the NFL team that has the deepest pockets that is the issue here, there are sports teams on reservations that are run by Native Americans that are called the Redskins, why isn't this a blanket thing rather than attacking only the one that can pay out the most?If it's so offensive why are those Native American schools using the name for their sports teams, you go find me one example of a largely African American school using the term Ni**ers as the team name.Why is the name of an NFL team at the top of your list of offensive things to attack, it's a lowly sports team while there is an entire City and State out there called Red People, isn't that offensive too or is it that you know the eventual payout to shut the hell u will be bigger from Danny than the government?Please can you find me an example of the term Redskin being used as a racist term at any point in recent history or a person who when they hear the term instantly thinks "insult" rather than "crappy Washington football team." Surely if it's so offensive but has only recently become such a huge issue there must be some recent trigger.The PC brigade likes to say that the meaning of words evolve so while the term wasn't originally meant as a slur when the Native American themselves came up with it it changed into that over time, well couldn't the same happen the other way where the term has now evolved away from being a slur, you really think when they were naming the team they though "I know, lets find some degrading and insulting name that we can use to offend a large number of people." Why are you even offended by a word? Are you really that much of a mental lightweight that mere words can cause you distress to the point that you campaign for garbage like this, to me that says you have personal issues far larger than the perceived one you a fighting.

You assume a lot about the "PC crowd's" intentions without talking to them... I'll do my best to answer it for you.1. In my experience, the N word is "scary" to say because white people here seem to think that saying it will make black person go crazy and physically attack you. Like they're some sort of animal or something.2. The Washington Redskins are a nationally known team. Your average person has never heard of a high school team called the Redskins. I haven't!3. Why? I dunno. You'd have to ask them.4. An NFL team is seen more. I imagine it could be a domino effect. NFL team straightens up, and others are likely to follow. I've never heard of a state called Red People? That would be a tacky name and I hope they'd change it to something classy. I passed by a Burnt Corn, AL once. I laughed a little too hard on that road trip.5. Redskin used as a derogatory word? First google result :PThe earliest known appearance of the term in print occurred on October 9, 1813 in an article quoting a letter dated August 27, 1813 from a gentleman at St. Louis concerning an expedition being formed and to be led by Gen. Benjamin Howard to "route the savages from the Illinois and Mississippi territories[.]" "The expedition will be 40 days out, and there is no doubt but we shall have to contend with powerful hordes of red skins, as our frontiers have been lined with them last summer, and have had frequent skirmishes with our regulars and rangers.""The state reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth.""A linguistic analysis of 42 books published between 1875 and 1930 shows that negative contexts in the use of redskin were significantly more frequent than positive usage"And this sums up my opinion: "As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness."Identifying someone by skin color is just tacky. I believe "Caucasian" is slowly encroaching on "white". As we're starting to call blacks "African American" which is a mouthful so I've stuck with black. Idk about other people, but I'd rather be identified as "that guy in the green shirt with brown hair" than "that white guy". Race is an awful construct that only divides us from out fellow human beings who are ALL members of the human race. If we all had the same skin color, there'd be something else to create an "us vs them" mentality. It's how our ancestral tribes functioned though according to people that research that stuffBasically it's a tacky and outdated name. Washington shouldn't be FORCED to change it. They should man up and change it. Be the Warriors or Braves and get it over with. Or go with my ideas and pick a name and logo that are actually friggen cool. Like the Sharks or Dragons or Knights.Other teams that have lame nicknames IMO: Packers, 49ers, Steelers, Oilers (glad that's gone), Texans (doh!), Jets, Bills, and BrownsTeams with meh nicknames: Titans, Giants, Chiefs, Cardinals (how is that remotely intimidating?) Patriots, Raiders and Bucs are doing it right  8)

You don't need to talk to the PC Brigade, they flap their gums enough any time they think something and demand everyone think the same way.#1 I've read many people say "I dare you to walk up to a native American and say hey redskin." The same assumption is there & it's idiotic in both cases, sure you will get a percentage of African/Native Americans that will react but they are generally of the type who are looking for a fight no matter the reason, you find those types in any group that is of a certain (large) size. It has no bearing on the word being a slur or not, they will just perceive it that way to start something.#2 Who cares what the average person has heard of, this is about the term Redskin being "offensive so no matter the size of the group using it the impact is there, anyone with the agenda to fight against the travesty that is people using this word should in theory has done a little research on the subject and then those teams would have popped up, but then they don't fit the agenda to get a big payday like attacking 1 entity for the use of the word.#3 You don't have to ask them because if as Native Americans they are choosing to use the word for their teams they very obviously aren't offended in any way.#4 You've never heard of Oklahoma? It literally mean Red People, meaning one of the 50 states is a racial slur to the very same people, AN ENTIRE STATE.#5 I have googled it in the past and nothing comes up as example of it being used as a slur, just claims that it is offensive but no examples of this ever happening is given. Your examples don't show the term being used as a slur, just as a way to name a group of people, a group of people that used the term first as a way to differentiate between themselves & Europeans, If they can use Red Man & White Man to simply differentiate between the 2 side why is it suddenly a slur/negative when the white man uses the same exact terms?"I am a red man. If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, in my heart he put other and different desires. Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for Eagles to be Crows. We are poor... but we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die...we die defending our rights." – Sitting Bull"My Father—Restrain your feelings, and hear calmly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me." – Chief Black ThunderThree chiefs of the Piankashaws wrote (1769): "…You think that I am an orphan; but all the people of these rivers and all the redskins will learn of my death."Those traitorous, racist arseholes trying to offend their own people.    ::)It's a word, it's neither offensive or inoffensive, it's the intent of the the work when in use that dictates that.I totally agree with "As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness" which is why I don't really agree with "Identifying someone by skin color is just tacky" I think it's sometimes just the easiest, quickest and most effective/obvious way in many case of point out a person, it's not racist if the goal is to simply point a person out from a large group, yes it's singling them out but that was the goal in the same way using their clothes would have been but then I'm of the thought if you want racism to go away stop making it a big deal when the intent isn't there, we're not all the same, we have male & female, young and old, black, white, red, etc. why is it so wrong to use something that IS different as a descriptive tool if there are no harmful intentions behind it, the very fact that you can't is making a bigger deal out of the differences than if you were to use them IMO.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

Hallelujah!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let me get this straight.....the Skins will be horrible with RG3 at the helm but we will be playoff contenders with Glennon?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Snyder does change it, it won’t have anything to do with Indians

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let me get this straight.....the Skins will be horrible with RG3 at the helm but we will be playoff contenders with Glennon?

Well Cosell did say last season after watching film that Glennon is a more advanced passer than RGIII.... not really that big of a stretch unless you are just distracted by bright shiny things like a highlight scramble.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well Cosell did say last season after watching film that Glennon is a more advanced passer than RGIII....

do YOU buy that Glennon brings more to the table than RG3?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch closely this year.  RGIII is not half the player he was two seasons ago.  You dont like Glennon, I get it.  Glennon was more productive with a lot less last season and yes, he is more prepared to play than RGIII and gives us a better chance to win.  RGIII came in guns a blazing and then Shanny forced him to play when he wasn't ready and dare I say, ruined his career.  Do you really think RGIII has anything anymore?  He was the worst 2nd year QB in a Shanny led offense ever.  It's not because he's dumb, that is definitely not the case, it's because he's three steps slower and scared. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do you really think RGIII has anything anymore? 

a year removed from injury, absolutely i do!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do you really think RGIII has anything anymore? 

a year removed from injury, absolutely i do!!

You are going to be very disappointed this season, as will Subway, Gatorade, Adidas and anyone else hoping for his success.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the term Redskin is as offensive to Native Americans as the N word is to African Americans why do you still say the word Redskins while talking about the subject rather than calling it the R word? Seems it's not as bad.Why is it just the NFL team that has the deepest pockets that is the issue here, there are sports teams on reservations that are run by Native Americans that are called the Redskins, why isn't this a blanket thing rather than attacking only the one that can pay out the most?If it's so offensive why are those Native American schools using the name for their sports teams, you go find me one example of a largely African American school using the term Ni**ers as the team name.Why is the name of an NFL team at the top of your list of offensive things to attack, it's a lowly sports team while there is an entire City and State out there called Red People, isn't that offensive too or is it that you know the eventual payout to shut the hell u will be bigger from Danny than the government?Please can you find me an example of the term Redskin being used as a racist term at any point in recent history or a person who when they hear the term instantly thinks "insult" rather than "crappy Washington football team." Surely if it's so offensive but has only recently become such a huge issue there must be some recent trigger.The PC brigade likes to say that the meaning of words evolve so while the term wasn't originally meant as a slur when the Native American themselves came up with it it changed into that over time, well couldn't the same happen the other way where the term has now evolved away from being a slur, you really think when they were naming the team they though "I know, lets find some degrading and insulting name that we can use to offend a large number of people." Why are you even offended by a word? Are you really that much of a mental lightweight that mere words can cause you distress to the point that you campaign for garbage like this, to me that says you have personal issues far larger than the perceived one you a fighting.

You don't need to talk to the PC Brigade, they flap their gums enough any time they think something and demand everyone think the same way.#1 I've read many people say "I dare you to walk up to a native American and say hey redskin." The same assumption is there & it's idiotic in both cases, sure you will get a percentage of African/Native Americans that will react but they are generally of the type who are looking for a fight no matter the reason, you find those types in any group that is of a certain (large) size. It has no bearing on the word being a slur or not, they will just perceive it that way to start something.#2 Who cares what the average person has heard of, this is about the term Redskin being "offensive so no matter the size of the group using it the impact is there, anyone with the agenda to fight against the travesty that is people using this word should in theory has done a little research on the subject and then those teams would have popped up, but then they don't fit the agenda to get a big payday like attacking 1 entity for the use of the word.#3 You don't have to ask them because if as Native Americans they are choosing to use the word for their teams they very obviously aren't offended in any way.#4 You've never heard of Oklahoma? It literally mean Red People, meaning one of the 50 states is a racial slur to the very same people, AN ENTIRE STATE.#5 I have googled it in the past and nothing comes up as example of it being used as a slur, just claims that it is offensive but no examples of this ever happening is given. Your examples don't show the term being used as a slur, just as a way to name a group of people, a group of people that used the term first as a way to differentiate between themselves & Europeans, If they can use Red Man & White Man to simply differentiate between the 2 side why is it suddenly a slur/negative when the white man uses the same exact terms?"I am a red man. If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, in my heart he put other and different desires. Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for Eagles to be Crows. We are poor... but we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die...we die defending our rights." – Sitting Bull"My Father—Restrain your feelings, and hear calmly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me." – Chief Black ThunderThree chiefs of the Piankashaws wrote (1769): "…You think that I am an orphan; but all the people of these rivers and all the redskins will learn of my death."Those traitorous, racist arseholes trying to offend their own people.    ::)It's a word, it's neither offensive or inoffensive, it's the intent of the the work when in use that dictates that.I totally agree with "As with any term perceived to be discriminatory, different individuals may hold differing opinions of the term's appropriateness" which is why I don't really agree with "Identifying someone by skin color is just tacky" I think it's sometimes just the easiest, quickest and most effective/obvious way in many case of point out a person, it's not racist if the goal is to simply point a person out from a large group, yes it's singling them out but that was the goal in the same way using their clothes would have been but then I'm of the thought if you want racism to go away stop making it a big deal when the intent isn't there, we're not all the same, we have male & female, young and old, black, white, red, etc. why is it so wrong to use something that IS different as a descriptive tool if there are no harmful intentions behind it, the very fact that you can't is making a bigger deal out of the differences than if you were to use them IMO.

1. The same could be said for any slur. If some stranger says that crap to me I'm gonna ignore em and get along with my day.2. It does matter. You can't crusade against something you don't know exists xP3. Again with relativity. Some people are okay with it, others aren't. Kinda how black folks call each other niqqa and some of us find that weird and backwards. It's even weirder that a lot of youths that aren't black use it now too lol4. If I slurred at you in Chinese, would you know? Average person doesn't know this trivia and thus it's hard to fight against. Doubt the name gets changed this century.5. It's all relativity and how you perceive it. You perceive it as not a big deal. I perceive it as kind of a deal because redskin is just.. tacky and outlandish. I remember getting into the NFL in 9th grade and thinking "Wow. They call their team the redskins? That's weird. I figured a DC team would be the Generals, but whatever."Redskin just seems like one of those words or phrases that your 90 year old relative uses. I'd feel embarrassed if my uncle called a native american a redskin. I know I wouldn't call a NA a redskin. First and/or last name will do :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol. Saw a “white” kid today at the mall on his phone saying very loudly, n***er over and over.I politely went up to the security guard (ironically african american) and told him that this kid was probably going to get beat up sooner or later, and that he should keep an eye on him (halfway joking).He came back a half hour later, while I was still eating at the food court and told me.."yeah, that kid is an idiot."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, this thread is going well…sigh.  We may need a heavy handed mod to com in here and clean up the place.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol. Saw a "white" kid today at the mall on his phone saying very loudly, n***er over and over.I politely went up to the security guard (ironically african american) and told him that this kid was probably going to get beat up sooner or later, and that he should keep an eye on him (halfway joking).He came back a half hour later, while I was still eating at the food court and told me.."yeah, that kid is an idiot."

Java is in Tampa ??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, this thread is going well...sigh.  We may need a heavy handed mod to com in here and clean up the place.

Quit cher whining!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, this thread is going well...sigh.  We may need a heavy handed mod to com in here and clean up the place.

Why?  I think this has been a pretty good discussion.I like that there is very little in the way of moderation.  One man's cleaning up, is another man's censorship, and one man's mess is another man's salient point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/redskin-name-update

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/redskin-name-update

Well that's just dumb being as the guy is from the State of Red People, get that slur in order before whining about a sports team.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The Oklahoma bit has zero traction.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pelosi is one of those PC people.Just saying.."Sign it first, then read it." Lol!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Washington Rednecks/Redbacks/Reds/Skins/Pork Rinds

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

I think some, particularly women, would find the Witchita St. team name offensive. The Shockers. :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think some, particularly women, would find the Witchita St. team name offensive. The Shockers. :)

Nonsense.. women love the shockers

Please wait…

Viewing 112 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.