Shop the newest Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan gear at Fanatics!

Let's Talk Chargers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    burger40
    Participant

A great test for our defense. Rivers is historically insanely good in December. Before Norv turner left, I believe they were something like 11-1 in the last 3 years’ worth of December games. Let’s see what we can do. Just please don’t fall apart and give the media a reason to go back to ignoring us.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed. Unfortunately we have seen what guys like Rivers can do to the bucs. Rivers stays off the radar somehow. I think the Bucs need to put serious heat on him for the win.

What radar does he stay off of??

I had friend in Cali once tell me that he thinks that San Diego as a franchise, is a bit like Tampa. You just don’t get a lot of media attention on them and they haven’t necessarily been world beaters over the years to garner that attention. That’s how Phillip Rivers can quietly be a good QB and nobody notice. I see the same thing happening with a guy like Mike Evans. He’s great, but it seems like NFL fans will have to be continually re-introduced to him even as he strings together some pro bowls. That’s what having loud mouth guys like Sapp helped overcome. That’s what the diva wide receiver brings to a franchise besides on the field play.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    RogerGoodellSucks
    Participant

Gonna be a tough game. San Diego has played teams tough all year and we’ll be traveling across the country. Their defense can force turnovers so Jameis will need to be smart and limit the turnovers. If the D can keep up this play, I really like our chances in this game. The Chargers o-line isn’t much better than Seattle’s, and if we can put that kind of pressure on Rivers, we will force him into mistakes.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Easythe great
    Participant

The Bucs have to contain Melvin Gordon and the D-Line needs to be disruptive and make Rivers move outta the pocket. They run a lot of crossing routes so the defensive secondary needs to pay attention for pick plays and not blowing coverages. The receivers on San Diego are all 6’3 and 6’4 so our DBs are gonna have to play tough physical football. Tyrell Williams is his go to receiver and Gates is still moving the chains.

Defensively for the Chargers they have a solid D-line butthe secondary is shaky for the most part and have alot of injuries to their DB’s. Bosa has been an absolute beast for them so the O-line is gonna have their hands full with him and Leguit. If we can run the ball and keep Rivers off the field we win this game. I just hope the East to West Coast travel doesn’t affect them.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Bucs fan from Texas.. FIRE THE CANNONS!!!

creamsicles
    Participant

Chargers are the scary type of team who can beat anyone, and have started to figure it out after some disastrous early losses.  I’ve seen a few of the games they lost early this year… they shot themselves in the foot- they didn’t get beat.

i’d argue that their 4-2 string over the past 6 games is just as impressive as our 4-2 string over the past 6 games.  They beat Denver, @Atlanta, @Houston, and an improving Tennessee team.

I believe that they’re the outsider in AFC that no one wants to meet in the playoffs… similar to what the Bucs are becoming in the NFC.

Basically, this is a playoff game for both teams since playoff chances are minimal for the loser.  Both teams are clicking right now… it should be a hell of a game that may be won by turnovers/special teams.   I hope Spence creates the big plays and not Bosa.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Iowabucfan
    Participant

Chargers are the scary type of team who can beat anyone, and have started to figure it out after some disastrous early losses. I’ve seen a few of the games they lost early this year… they shot themselves in the foot- they didn’t get beat. i’d argue that their 4-2 string over the past 6 games is just as impressive as our 4-2 string over the past 6 games. They beat Denver, @Atlanta, @Houston, and an improving Tennessee team. I believe that they’re the outsider in AFC that no one wants to meet in the playoffs… similar to what the Bucs are becoming in the NFC. Basically, this is a playoff game for both teams since playoff chances are minimal for the loser. Both teams are clicking right now… it should be a hell of a game that may be won by turnovers/special teams. I hope Spence creates the big plays and not Bosa.

Great post.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Corinthians 3:17

NotDeadYet
    Participant

Chargers have always been tough on us…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    CaliforniaBuc40
    Participant

I am from So Cal so i know how great Rivers is and how bad the Chargers are. Their defense has been stingy of late and i believe are the only team to force a turnover in every single game they have played this year. Gordon will be the one to stop this week and hope that our line can pressure Rivers. This will be a gear grinding game as i think they are writing up the same exact game plan for the Bucs. They also are very much like the Bucs, where they often lose by stupid mistakes or turnovers.  I will be at the game so should be a fun experience, GO BUCS!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BP1
    Participant

San Diego is a special place for the Bucs. Let’s continue the tradition this Sunday.

Prior to Brooks’ arrival in Tampa Bay, the Bucs had been a laughingstock for a generation. That point was driven home in 1996 when Brooks and Sapp were sitting in a San Diego hotel room, getting ready to play the Chargers.

“Playing a late game, we got a chance to see the pregame shows,” Brooks said. “Those guys were making jokes about the Yucks, the Yuckaneers, the quarterback rating for Trent [Dilfer]. They were making fun of us. It kind of resonated with us and Warren and I just looked at each other. I was upset. But he was pissed. He went to a new level with his anger.“I internalized and said, ‘I’m going to do something about this.’

But he externalized it. We went to pregame and he just went off on how we were being so disrespected by everybody. We went out there and went down 14-0 before you could sneeze. But then we fought back and won that game.

I think the confidence that we built on the road that day was the turning point. I don’t think it’s ironic or a coincidence that we came back a few years later and won a Super Bowl in that same stadium.”

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Bucs have two wins against the Chargers.

Another Dragon to slay.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    VirgilCaine
    Participant

Bucs have two wins against the Chargers. Another Dragon to slay.

no acid prediction?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    xbucsx_4_xevax
    Participant

Am I the only one that thinks this game won’t is ours?… looking at how Verner and Grimes  have been playing and VHlll actually sticking with WRs it feels like the d-line is set up to have another monster game. A lot of pressures and blitzes on Rivers and LD54 making his splash plays in very confident about this game. Winston knows how to win people he’s done it his entire life why doubt him now?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Bucs have two wins against the Chargers. Another Dragon to slay.

no acid prediction?

No Simpleton. Get your dunce cap.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Garv
    Participant

The Chargers are better than their record IMO and they’re playing at home. The young Buccaneers have to travel across the country which has been a problem in the past. I worry about Rivers and the Buccaneers have GOT to put pressure on him. Don’t know much about the Chargers OL but I have to assume they’re better than Seattle’s.

I’m not being negative but suggesting this will not be easy and hope the Bucs keep the pedal to the medal, keep practicing hard and stay focused. Do that and they should win but there are NO guarantees in the NFL. I do believe Koetter, coaches and the players know how important EVERY game is and am optimistic for sure. Really look forward to getting out to the Ray Jay on December 11 riding a four game win streak against the Saint but for that to happen the goal has to be one Sunday at a time.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

"We're all here because we're not all there."
    as always, GO BUCS!!!

TampaBucks05
    Participant

This has TRAP GAME written all over it. These young Bucs will have to keep their noses out of the newspaper and in their playbooks if they even want a SHOT at a W this week.

A long trip across country against an inter divisional opponent followed by a primetime matchup against a division rival the following week is a recepie for disaster, no matter who your coach is.

To make matters worse, the praise the Bucs have been getting from the national media has grown to a deafening level since Sunday night (which is great from a fans perspective, but also a cause for concern when you consider that these are the same players who were so busy reading their own press clippings after winning the season-opener that they couldn’t keep from getting blown out the following week against what has proven to be a 4-6-1 ball club).

Speaking of that Cardinals game, there are striking similarities between the week that led up to it and this week so far; we have a young team that is getting a lot of public praise for a huge win, riding an emotional high, going over to the west coast to play what is supposed to be a team with a strong offense.

I just hope our team isn’t looking past the Chargers to next week’s match against the  division rival Saints. That game got flexed to primetime this week, which further adds to my level of concern. Fellow Bucs fans certainly don’t seem to be too concerned about the matchup.

It was just a week ago that those of us on this very board were watching the Seahawks boards, saying “I hope their players feel that way too.”

Again, let’s hope ours don’t (take this game lightly).

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.