Shop the newest Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan gear at Fanatics!

Let's Talk Saints

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    nitey
    Participant

Well, the thing we have going for us is that both Koetter and Smith have history in going up against Sean Payton and Drew Brees. Smith already knows what to expect from both of them and honestly this is a game we should win. It won’t be easy and the formula is going to be the same as the last four games, get turnovers, avoid turnovers, keep Brees uncomfortable and avoid costly penalties.

The Saints season is over as far as getting to the playoffs without winning the division. They will be desperate for a win and that both helps and hurts us.

If the Bucs are the team they think they are, then they should win this game going away. Bucs 30 Saints 21.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

TampaBucks05
    Participant

Cocky. Not a good way to go… Brees has put up some good numbers. Respect that.

I respect Brees, he is a surgeon and he COULD slice us up from the pocket. I am not doubting his ability to do so. But he’s simply never been the type of QB that beats you by rolling out and extending plays.

If he tries to do that, we will smoke him (especially at his current age). Mark it down.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GOBUCS!!YKJ
    Participant

Yes Brees used to torch us with Colston, Sprolls and Graham thank goodness Graham and Sprolls are gone, JG didn’t look the same in Seattle…..None the less gotta watch the TE seims up the middle..  Brees is also a Jedi Master at the 2 min drill just needs 30 sec tics to score when he’s hot.  So yes we have to put pressure on him and force him to make mistakes.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    nitey
    Participant

Cocky. Not a good way to go… Brees has put up some good numbers. Respect that.

I respect Brees, he is a surgeon and he COULD slice us up from the pocket. I am not doubting his ability to do so. But he’s simply never been the type of QB that beats you by rolling out and extending plays. If he tries to do that, we will smoke him (especially at his current age). Mark it down.

I agree. Brees has never been much of a rollout quarterback. He can do it, but his MO has been stepping up with a quick delivery. Collapse the interior of the line has always been the way to beat Drew. As long as we have McCoy and McDonald playing the interior and Ayers and Spence coming from the sides, we should be okay.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    nitey
    Participant

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/126989/best-and-worst-qbs-of-week-13-andy-dalton-carves-up-eagles

I wouldn’t read too much into this, but it’s a talking point anyway. Brees was considered to be one of the bottom 3 quarterbacks in last weeks games. Maybe age is catching up or maybe he’s just trying to do too much to compensate for his defense. But I sure hope this is a trend we see continue next Sunday.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GMACsBlankey
    Participant

If we continue to let our linebackers play downhill and our corners to play aggressively on the outside, I like our chances.

I’d also play Tandy over Conte again. Two safeties who can make plays downfield (to a very limited extent) could be a necessity.

Evans should explode again.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Tandy has been around forever. He must pass all eyeball tests.

WVU.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    CaptainStagger
    Participant

This game needs a few things to happen for a win.

1. We need a presence to show up at WR outside Evans and Brate. Who ever it is, they need to force the saints out of double coverages. Shep, Martino, Huff, Dye….someone needs to step into both the slot role (Hump) and the deep go route role (Shorts).

If you have been watching Shorts has been targeted 1-3 times a game on deep routes which stress a defense and keep them honest. Shep has been uber reliable when playing and I’d put him in the slot as a 3rd down WR and Saftey blanket. Move Huff and Martino to the wideout and let them run the go and fly routes to stretch the field.

2. It’s Quizz not Martin that needs to be the focal point of a rushing attack designed to chew clock. Complimentary football, the ground game must be punishing and churning out 1st downs to take pressure off ailing WR core.

3. Pressure pressure pressure ….I’d have McCoy and Ayers side by side, and get a big push up the middle and in his face. Hit him early, hit him hard, and watch him crumble.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Stop with the Huff Huff pass

talk.

He aint anything. He is a Kr/Pr lite.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Swillyboy15
    Participant

Should be a W but against Brees anything can happen. Their CB play is awful and Evans should have a huge day against Moore or the other guy #40. The Saints DL is semi decent with Fairly, Rankins, and Jordan but it should not be too tall of a task for our OL to keep Winston upright. I see the Lions played a lot of zone yesterday and Brees arm looked extremely weak. I think we win and Jameis has a big day.

#40 Delvin Breaux

The Lions beat him like a drum. He blew coverage multiple times. Whoever he covers, throw at him all day.

I expect Dirk to come out spreading the ball around and putting Jameis in good situtations. That’s what the Lions did and their game was waaaay more one sided than the score indicates, they couldn’t punch it in in the red zone or it would have been over by the 3rd qtr.

Mix up the run and pass and set up Jameis on the play action. If Humphries can’t go and Stocker is out again, we’ll see Chuck, Huff, and Dye… all 3 of those guys bring speed and expect more lateral and deep plays than normal. We could honestly come out with a whole bunch of new formations to get those guys mix matches.

On Defense, pressure, pressure, pressure. Get Brees off his spot and bodies flying around him and he’ll throw up some picks. No zone coverage he’s proven he’ll pick it apart. You gotta respect him though. They’ve had some moving pieces on their OL so look for Smith to exploit that with unique fronts and blitz. I like our chances. we just need to stay focused and execute the gameplan… and pressure lol

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    J.A.S.H.E.R.
    Participant

I know we have Spence but I really wish we had Jaq Smith for this game. He completely wrecked Brees last year in New Orleans.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Mic
    Participant

I’m pretty sure new Orleans didn’t fix that revolving door spencce and Ayers are gonna be on brees all day. Just like rivers we have to watch the checkdowns and curls short passing routes that brees loves to do to negate a pass rush

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TampaBucks05
    Participant

Exactly, Mic. Now is not the time for Mike Smith to get soft b/c of the threat of the Saints’ downfield passing attack. Don’t change what got you here, Mr. Smith! Gotta stay aggressive and take Brees’ short & dump off options away. If we can do that, our DL is going devour #9.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GMACsBlankey
    Participant

Grimes sneaky got the hell beat out of him against the Chargers. needs a bounce back game.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

The Saints started our 4 game losing streak during our playoff push last year, didn’t they? It will be awesomely ironic if we kick off the last quarter of the season by taking them out this time.

It would be! If Ingram is out and the fans show up (two things that I think will happen) we should be able to handle this Saints team without incident. Evans is going to bust Moore’s ass all over that field on Sunday (don’t forget that Moore was labeled a “locker room cancer”, so I’m sure there is no shortage of hard feelings between him and the Bucs organization). As far as another poster suggesting that Brees might “roll out of the pocket” and beat us deep…. I just have to chuckle. The guy was never a mobile QB and his age is catching up to him. Couple that with the way our defensive front has been playing and its just hard to even imagine a scenario where Brees beats us on a roll out. In fact, I hope the guy tries that nonsense, that way I can watch Noah Spence break his shoulder.

With exception of Payton Manning, just about every NFL QB  will break containment to avoid the pass rush.

Brees doesn’t make a living doing it, but he will bust your azz a couple times a game leaving the pocket.

For a short QB, rolling out gives him a clearer view of the field and the Saints practice that.

So get ready to chuckle even more.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.