Viewing 50 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

Lovie Smith and Jason Licht met with the media on Tuesday to discuss the upcoming NFL Draft and spoke on a number of subjects including Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel. Licht was quick to point out the Bucs will draft players that make them a better football team, not just to put fans in the seats.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9770

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am a fan of Lovie’s humor. Completely straight faced and dry lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good thing JFF does both!!! :D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smokescreen.  They are drafting Johnny Manziel otherwise they wouldn’t be saying this right before the draft,

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“…so we like athletic ability and a little bit of quickness and speed at every position, even the quarterback position…” Kiss of death for Glennon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ian Rapoport ?@RapSheet  5mQB definitely an option at 7 RT @Gil_Brandt: I think there’s a split in #Bucs. whether to take QB or position player. It’ll be interesting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ian Rapoport ?@RapSheet  5mQB definitely an option at 7 RT @Gil_Brandt: I think there’s a split in #Bucs. whether to take QB or position player. It’ll be interesting.

Lovie wants the D.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The recent rumor is that the glazers want manziel, but lovie wants defense. Maybe that’s the “rift” we hear of?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winning will sell more seats than any individual player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie wants the D.

Giggity

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smokescreen.  They are drafting Johnny Manziel otherwise they wouldn't be saying this right before the draft,

Smokescreen ?? That ship has sailed . Everyone already thinks they want Manziel from previous leaks and comments.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie wants the D.

Giggity

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie wants the D.

"Position player" seems to imply other positions on the offense. Otherwise Gil would have said " QB or defense "Pretty sure they plan on going offense heavy regardless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good thing JFF does both!!! :D

Beat me to it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel is a franchise QB.  THAT puts fans in the seats.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The recent rumor is that the glazers want manziel, but lovie wants defense. Maybe that's the "rift" we hear of?

Are you implying what Gil is saying in that tweet or is it really out there the Glazers want Manziel? Because I was always under the impression they don't meddle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Honestly, I think they’ve done pretty well not showing their hand. I have no clue of what to expect next Thursday. All we know is they’re willing to trade down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The recent rumor is that the glazers want manziel, but lovie wants defense. Maybe that's the "rift" we hear of?

Are you implying what Gil is saying in that tweet or is it really out there the Glazers want Manziel? Because I was always under the impression they don't meddle.

They don't. It was just something that was passed around here.The idea is that maybe, maybe, the glazers one stipulation was to bring in manziel to ensure getting them off the hook for blackout tickets throughout the year.It's just mere speculation. Nothing like that was said that I know of. But the glazers do indeed want to fill the stadium again and put the bucs back on the map, so maybe it's possible.But, a defensive guru like lovie might see the advantages manziel could bring, so it's still possible the glazers are still leaving it to the fo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the comment about the first rounder ‘starting ‘fairly soon’  (rather than right away) also says a lot.Positions that typically start right away IMO - WR, RB, OG, TE, DT, SS.  Ones that start fairly soon IMO - QB, DE, LB, CB, OTOur first round board is QB or OT.  Maybe I'm just making crap up, but there is some logic to this perspective of what was said...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht was born in Freemont, Nebraska, one of the most conservative sections of the country.  He’s not using his first pick ever as an NFL GM on Johnny Football.  Too many other GLARING needs. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht was born in Freemont, Nebraska, one of the most conservative sections of the country.  He's not using his first pick ever as an NFL GM on Johnny Football.  Too many other GLARING needs.

QB is a GLARING need for this team. 2 career backups do not make a good tandem.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht was born in Freemont, Nebraska, one of the most conservative sections of the country.  He's not using his first pick ever as an NFL GM on Johnny Football.  Too many other GLARING needs.

Keep telling yourself that chief. Maybe you will start believing it soon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keep telling yourself that chief. Maybe you will start believing it soon.

McCown and Glennon are career backups....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol…    Don’t bite

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They don't. It was just something that was passed around here.The idea is that maybe, maybe, the glazers one stipulation was to bring in manziel to ensure getting them off the hook for blackout tickets throughout the year.It's just mere speculation. Nothing like that was said that I know of. But the glazers do indeed want to fill the stadium again and put the bucs back on the map, so maybe it's possible.But, a defensive guru like lovie might see the advantages manziel could bring, so it's still possible the glazers are still leaving it to the fo.

Gotcha. Well the Glazers do need to fix the blackouts and Manziel would certainly help that. Hopefully he's the pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OMG.. Tell me that Manziel groupies don’t sound just like Tebow groupies just before the draft a few years ago. You can tell me the differences between the two QBs until you’re blue in the face but the fact that they turn a blind eye to their obvious flaws intertwines them. I know because I was on the Tebow bandwagon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OMG.. Tell me that Manziel groupies don't sound just like Tebow groupies just before the draft a few years ago. You can tell me the differences between the two QBs until you're blue in the face but the fact that they turn a blind eye to their obvious flaws intertwines them. I know because I was on the Tebow bandwagon.

Well, they both had good talent around them... One of them won a Peach Bowl, tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OMG.. Tell me that Manziel groupies don't sound just like Tebow groupies just before the draft a few years ago. You can tell me the differences between the two QBs until you're blue in the face but the fact that they turn a blind eye to their obvious flaws intertwines them. I know because I was on the Tebow bandwagon.

ALL qb's have flaws. Every single one of them.The one's who have the least issues, that also intertwine  well with the playcalls, are the most successful. Manning and brady are great qb's, whereas wilson and kap fit perfectly within their systems but aren't statistical monsters like the other two I mentioned.Tebow is nothing like manziel. Manziel has an actual brain and can throw the ball. If manziel gets drafted to the right team he'll most likely be another kap or wilson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good Lord man, reach much?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reaching would be like claiming it’s all a Texas Roots thang with Lovie and John Boy…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reaching would be like claiming it's all a Texas Roots thang with Lovie and John Boy...

Roots are roots. Texas and gator boys are well known for their favoritism.With that said, it's still a bit of a reach. Just something to pile on imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you dont think that plays into who he is and how he handles things then I am going to say you have never been to Nebraska.  It means a lot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Brownies draft Manziel just to put butts in the seats.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Brownies draft Manziel just to put butts in the seats.

Maybe. Their ownership is horrid and the fanbase know it. What better way to appease them than to draft manziel, right?The trouble with that is, they have a good following of hoyer too. He's their version of glennon. Also, they've drafted qb's early in the past, and it bit them.It's tough to tell, but regardless of who they draft, we should have access to one of the top three qb's. And I believe tedford can work well with any of them, as well as it being a long term improvement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL, their ownership is horrible and everyone knows it…based on the one year he’s owned the franchise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you dont think that plays into who he is and how he handles things then I am going to say you have never been to Nebraska.  It means a lot.

Being that he's not calling any shots, where he was born means squat. On the flip side of that, the man in that is in charge has an affinity for Texans....and we all know where Johnny hails from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uh, just because someone was born in a very conservative part of the country doesn't mean that they behave in a conservative way. I mean, if that were the case he would probably be a farmer, an office worker, or a policeman not an NFL GM.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought Licht had final say on the draft?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

haha....in a Bruce Allen sorta way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Final say as in "Hand me your pick, Lovie."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL, their ownership is horrible and everyone knows it...based on the one year he's owned the franchise.

Yup. That situation isn't even close to stable.Drafting manziel, even though they have a fanbase that will show up anyway, would go a long way to show their commitment. Although, as I said, their fanbase does like that hoyer guy. And it's also possible they want watkins, evans, or a trade down.But if they pass on manziel, I think tampa will take him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing conservative about drafting Honey Badger from LSU with all his off-field issues and that panned out for Licht last year in Arizona so your point is moot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL, their ownership is horrible and everyone knows it...based on the one year he's owned the franchise.

Yup. That situation isn't even close to stable.Drafting manziel, even though they have a fanbase that will show up anyway, would go a long way to show their commitment. Although, as I said, their fanbase does like that hoyer guy. And it's also possible they want watkins, evans, or a trade down.But if they pass on manziel, I think tampa will take him.

Watkins or Mack is the pick at #4.  If Manziel is off the board when we pick Bortles is in play at #7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tebow is nothing like manziel. Manziel has an actual brain and can throw the ball. If manziel gets drafted to the right team he'll most likely be another kap or wilson.

we can all look and see different things.  im not sure there is a real way to know if manziel has an actual brain while tebow doesnt.  i think manziel compares to tebow very well – and also to kap.  i dont think manziel compares wilson.also, for every player there are a 1000 different ways to compare him.  so certain comparisons are certainly easy to find, while overall comparisons are easy to dismiss.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That settles it. DONT draft him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“That’s a tricky question, on how I answer it. I guess I could be saying a little bit on how I answer it…to me that statement could only mean one thing:  There is someone we would pick at seven that we would probably plan on sitting his rookie year, but if I said that, it would give something away because the only position you would ever do that with is quarterback and everyone knows that....that's my take :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

they fired Gruden and Allen and promoted Dom becsuse they wanted the franchise to develop a franchise QB and drafting one was the first pick Dom made. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Final say as in "Hand me your pick, Lovie."

I lol'd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

they fired Gruden and Allen and promoted Dom becsuse they wanted the franchise to develop a franchise QB and drafting one was the first pick Dom made.

you don't know that.  ...just because it happened that way.you could have just as easily said: they fired Gruden and Allen and promoted Dom becsuse they wanted Davin Joseph to have a crapload of money and giving it to him was the first thing Dom did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing conservative about drafting Honey Badger from LSU with all his off-field issues and that panned out for Licht last year in Arizona so your point is moot.

He didn't make the pick and it wasn't a first round selection.  Completely different.  Honey Badger was a huge miss for us. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel is a franchise QB.  THAT puts fans in the seats.

yeah...the goofy ones who watch too many YouTube Highlights and bug out when the team starts losing...

Please wait…

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.