Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• TBChucky

Participant

This will probably spark some debate.. PR also had an article saying the same thing. Both good reads.

Please wait…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

He should be a lock imho.

Please wait…

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

Interesting. Well, the award is “for the year”. That said I’ll agree that 2020-21 is Licht’s year.

However, most executives in the league have laughed at us because we’re “all in”. This team was all-in or nothing this year.

The cap obviously is going to be interesting. We still need more than 20 players under contract to even field a full roster next season. Our offense is decently set. Losing Godwin would be a big blow. Not to mention our defense losing Suh and or Shaq would be a big blow while focusing on getting LVD back.

Please wait…

• BChaves8

Participant

Executive of this year? Absolutely.

Please wait…

• jcaulfield8

Participant

he signed gronk and brady. that as well as the 2020 draft (2 potential allpro- wirfs and winfield) should lock him in for it.<br />
      People can laugh at us all they want. we are two wins away from winning it all and almost every team is is bad or worse situations cap wise than we are

Please wait…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by jcaulfield8.

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

Fair points. However I’m curious to know our plans for the future at QB. I doubt we invest a pick in the first three rounds if at all next year. Won’t matter if we win a SB this year and/or next!

Again this team is about winning now.

So we’ll probably have a journeyman QB once Brady hangs it up ready to bridge the gap. I think GMs are conditioned that they have to build rosters for long term stability not boom and fizzle.

Please wait…

• leeroybuc93

Participant

I doubt there’s even a debate. This will be Licht in a landslide.

Please wait…

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

He finally woke up and realized we need to rebuild the trenches and get good QB play. He let Jameis the pick six machine go and signed the GOAT to take his place. Then he drafted a quality tackle first off.

Please wait…

• BucWonder

Participant

[postquote quote=1349456]

I agree 100% This is Licht’s team we are watching.

Go Bucs!

Please wait…

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I vote for Brady to be Exec of the year. Brady chose us, not the other way around. Brady talked to Gronk and brought him in. Brady talked to AB and brought him onboard. With Brady signed, it was imperative to get a starting RT and traded up for OT Wirfs. He didn’t trade up for S Winfield and got lucky he fell.

When Vea went down, Bowles asked to trade for DT McClendon from Licht.

There are two personnel major differences between last year and this year: QB Brady instead of QB Winston and S Winfield instead of S Edwards. Gronk and AB are ancilliary additions.

But, hey, go ahead and praise a GM who stumbled into Brady and Winfield. Remember, GM Licht still had plans to retain Winston if Brady didn’t choose us, granted Winston was plan C.

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I’ll give Brady GM of the year, sure.

Since this is a one year prize, and not an example of his total body of work… I could see him undeservingly winning this award.

This is an 8-8 team that added Brady.

Brady brought Gronk, AB, Fournette, etc.

I know we are all excited, but give me a break with this crap.

Downvote away, honks

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

Not over Brandon Beane

Please wait…

• leeroybuc93

Participant

[postquote quote=1349507]

This isn’t blind homerism. He’s going to win it. Go ahead and make peace with that.

Please wait…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

[postquote quote=1349480]

Hopefully Brady plays til he’s 50!

Please wait…

• BucBalla85

Participant

For getting Brady yes but at the same time it was Brady that made Brady happen. I suppose we can credit him for building up that offense so that helped Bradys choice later. Who would have thought that loading up that offense for Jameis did serve a positive outcome. So I think he deserves it for this year.

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

[postquote quote=1349510]

What’s the case Licht has over Beane?

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Hopefully all of you crowing us already isn’t jinxing it!

GO BUCS

Please wait…

• leeroybuc93

Participant

[postquote quote=1349519]

The Bills main source of improvement is from a guy drafted 3 years ago. He’s done a great job but the award is about what you’ve done this year.

Please wait…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

[postquote quote=1349522]

Whos crowning us? Idk about you but NFCG this year has exceeded my expectations.

Would i love to play in the super bowl in tampa? Duh.

Even if GB shits on us, very proud of this organization this season.

We will be nationally relevant & n perennial super bowl contender as long as brady is here.

He is more to credit our success, but JL deserves a lot of credit as well. Nailed the 2019 & 2020 drafts thus far.

I have 0 doubt we will be even more of a dangerous team next year, as hard as that is to believe.

Id be shocked if we didn’t win the NFC south by 3+ games next year. Barring something insane like NO or Atl trading for deshaun watson.

Please wait…

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

Licht has definitely demonstrated the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Some mistakes he has repeated more than once.

Darrel Revis was a mistake. Drafting Aguyao while I understand he it seemed like a safe pick is bad. I understand wanting to solidify the position so he drafted Gay. I understand there was no room for patience if we were going to have Tom Brady. If Brady wasn’t on the roster I wouldn’t have been surprised if Gay stayed for another year like Aguyao got.

High priced free agents like Michael Johnson and that offensive tackle I can’t remember were mistakes.

Not investing more into the offensive line and reaching for experimental players. He’s done much better in 2019 and 2020. Hopefully the trend continues.

Please wait…

• BucBit2

Participant

Would only show how hard it is to build a team. Dude has made good moves and bad, but bring in Brady and Brady changes the team . . and the GM is somehow a genius.

Please wait…

• BChaves8

Participant

Licht built a talented enough team that Brady chose to come here. There were other organizations that he could have gone to, but he came here because he saw the potential. Licht has had some awful moves for sure but he built this team. Credit where its due.

Please wait…

• TBChucky

Participant

Almost everyone else thought Brady was cooked.. He apparently wasn’t. It honestly was a ballsy move by Licht that could’ve backfired horribly. Obviously it worked out, as we’re one win away from the Super Bowl. I think Licht deserves credit where it’s due. It’s kinda hard to say we aren’t the most improved team in the 2020 season. Cleveland is probably the other, but they got bounced already.

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

You guys are hilarious.

“Took a gamble on Brady”.

When the alternative was:
      Winston
      Rivers
      Bridgwater

Uhhhh…

Here is where I’ll give him credit: he put the chips on the table and built a team to win now. That’s great. We have a nice 2 year window.

So if this is a one year award, then I could see him in contention for the award.

But without Brady, this isn’t a playoff team. That bailed us out big time.

And good for us… glad we caught that break.

We’re all on the same side here, wanting to win a championship.

If you want to crown Licht this year after 6 abysmal years… go for it.

For me, it’s simple “about damn time”.

Please wait…

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

I would argue even without Brady this is definitely a playoff team. If it wasn’t for Winston we were a playoff team last year too.

Super Bowl team? Nope. But if you added one of those QBs instead of Winston this is definitely a playoff team.

Brady made it a Super Bowl team.

Please wait…

• Nobody

Participant

[postquote quote=1349585]

I don’t believe this is the case at all.

There were a few members of the media that were talking absolute nonsense. His metrics and, more importantly, his tape showed 100 % the exact opposite from the narrative of “Brady’s arm talent is fading.” It was always a clearly unexamined, shallow narrative that people in sports media put out there without much rigor. Its shallow clickbait at its finest.

Looking at Brady’s end of the year tape (particularly the Buffalo game…which I did on here), the throws he was making and the types of incompletions he had and why they were happening, should have trivially dispelled this narrative.

It was obvious that we were staring at +4 wins with the Brady signing.

Please wait…

• Nobody

Participant

[postquote quote=1349770]

Definitely don’t agree with this.

This is a QB league and Brady is the overwhelming signal of this season.

Bridgewater and/or Rivers are -2 to -3 Win Ratio QBs when compared to Brady under the absolute best of circumstances for those guys. Without an offseason for them? I could easily see 8-8 as the outcome for this team. Forgetting the 2nd or effects and intangibles of belief and amplification of the play of those around him, just the 1st order effect of Brady’s actual play is a huge differential between average NFL QBs (at this point) like Bridgewater and Rivers. The difference between absolute Elite QB play (Brady was # 3 DVOA) and average QB play (#13 and #18) is a gaping chasm in the NFL.

Again, just first order effects of Brady. We certainly don’t win any games we lost without Rivers or Bridgewater. Then:

1) We DO NOT come back against the Chargers.
      2) We very likely lose 1 against the Falcons.
      3) We very likely lose against the Giants.
      4) The Raiders and Vikings games are entirely different and we likely lose one or both of those games.

Those are 5 wins where Elite situational (clutch) or Elite overall QBing was absolutely the difference- maker.

Sub Rivers/Bridgewater out for Brady in those 5 games and you lose a minimum 3 games. At 8-8 with Chicago and Minnesota (assuming that Minnesota game turns into a loss) having the tiebreaker over us, they get in and we’re out. We’d have the tiebreaker over Arizona.

Please wait…

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

Well, when you present such a sound argument it’s hard to disagree.

I didn’t analyze it as well as you have. I think it’s fair to say Brady changed the identity of the team for the better. More than any other player could have.

I simply thought we’re a better team than the Colts and the NFC is weaker than the AFC so if Rivers brought the Colts to the playoffs he could’ve done that here for the Bucs.

Bridgewater I think could’ve been okay too. Again, just keeping it simple he doesn’t turn over the ball. This offense is super powered. But it’s fun to speculate.

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

So as I said, this isn’t a playoff team without Brady.

Licht didn’t put some elite team together.

He realized that Winston was an awful pick and found a way to convince Brady to come here…

Awesome.

But without Brady this team wins 8 games

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

And we better have a plan once he retires…

Because we are all gonna feel spoiled after 2 years with him

Please wait…

• BucBit2

Participant

This team may not even win 8 games without Brady, not just because of his individual play but because of the impact he has on the whole team, accountability etc.

Please wait…

• buc_boi

Participant

Lol

You can literally tell when people’s high from beating the saints starts to wear off as this topic progresses.

I’m still in the clouds, yalls tolerance must be too high.

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Bro I’m plenty pumped, but I’m not gonna start worshiping a failed GM because he got bailed out by Brady.

This was definitely his best piece of work. Solid draft, good FA moves.

We still lack trench depth and our future at QB isn’t great.

Happy that he finally got us to the playoffs after 6 atrocious and head scratching years.

Happy to eat crow if White continues to play well.

Happy to eat crow if he has another great year next year.

Just like I would have been happy to eat crow had Winston turned it around.

I’m just not some blind optimist.

Please wait…

• Tyler

Participant

I agree with you. But I also think Licht is improving as a GM and this year shows that. Not just because of Brady but because of the draft too. AND if it’s because he listened to others to draft who cares? At least he is willing to listen to others and use them to make informed decisions, like he did last draft. I just hope he continues to improve and become better. He started off terrible and like you said 6 years of misery. However if he keeps showing improvement I like him. He’s a likable guy that has the ability to bring in talent. (And HOPEFULLY he learned to never draft a kicker again, if he makes that mistake again then obviously he hasn’t learned.)

If you dump him and get a new GM you might start off with square one and backtrack far more than you gain.

Stability is what the Bucs have lacked for 20 years, I hate how fans won’t be patient and let people improve.

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I’m not saying dump him. He certainly earned another year.

I’m not gonna crown him either.

Vaughn was still a very bad pick.

He got lucky that Wirfs and Winfield fell… sorry that is the truth. Those picks were no Brainers.

AB came here because of Brady.
      Fournette came here because of Brady.

We TRADED for Gronk and while he was decent, he still looks pretty slow. His leadership and blocking cannot be overlooked, and with OJ going down it made this pickup look even better.

But then again, Licht drafted OJ who cannot stay healthy… and he took a TE when we needed youth in the trenches.

So I’m still not impressed LONG TERM with Licht and what he has built… but I will give him credit in giving us a win-now team.

Please wait…

• Lawdy

Participant

very nice read: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30815719/from-hot-seat-super-bowl-how-gm-jason-licht-built-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Please wait…

• SaskBucs

Participant

I would think he has to win. No one did a better job THIS YEAR. Bucs are in the super bowl with a roster of Licht picks and signings.

I have been down on Licht a few times. Prolly called for his head once or twice but again… Bucs are in the Super Bowl! He has clearly improved at his job and some stability and longevity will usually allow people to do that so I am happy he is still here guiding this team. If he can successfully bridge the QB gap after Brady and keep the Bucs contending for the next 10 years… he’s the best. If Brady leaves and Bucs head to the cellar for 6-7 years then he was an ok to mediocre GM who helped manufacture a SB win hopefully and we will be forever happy about that.

The Colts Right now are possibly the Bucs in 2 years … What are Ballards options currently? Tough to kill him for not getting a QB in there. Stafford was his best bet and it’s not easy to always have a top 15 QB on your team.

Please wait…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.