Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 38 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was given a short leash, most likely, to not deal away major assets without signing off with the owners and their advisors. In the event that he gets fired for his abysmal approach to building a team, the owners for posterity’s sake do not want Licht to leave the cupboards bare and their cap room in a struggle by squandering away the things that make this franchise a job that new coaches would want to inherit. A new GM would want to inherit.

I think he is being forced to lowball guys because he has been given enough time to build his squad, and aside from some tweaks here and there, he won’t be doing much dancing in free agency.

Just a guess, but unless a deal is really BUCCANEER friendly and has some perceived real value (as the draft is really a gamble), Bucs will roll quietly out of the gate and into the season with a few new signees with the “value” tag and expendable deals, and draft picks to round out the roster.

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

I think if the Glazers had that little faith/trust in Licht and his process that they would have fired him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think if the Glazers had that little faith/trust in Licht and his process that they would have fired him.

They should have, but I can see them doing a half-assed prove it year on Dirk and Jason. This organization is rotten from the top, I can certainly see them doing something stupid like this. Unless/Until they get a ‘Football guy’ in the CEO/President/whatever role at the top and leave the Glazers out of this then they’ll continue to do dumb stuff that makes no sense.

Please wait…

• Easythe great

Participant

Licht has been pretty damn good in the draft, but free agency not so much. I think hes being very timid right now about his free agency approach. I d o like the fact that he’s signing his own players first.

Please wait…

Bucs fan from Texas.. FIRE THE CANNONS!!!

• Ft Myers Buc Fan

Participant

Cmon…less than a day into the legal tampering period and you are making these type of assumptions? He knows he wants to keep the core players under contract for the long term and wants to lock them up and its always wiser to let somebody else overpay for the first wave who more likely than not, dont live up to the contract and focus on the 2nd and 3rd tier guys.

Glazers are not gonna just throw in the towel this year. Sunny D said it perfectly. If they werent gping to let Licht makes the moves he wants to do to save his job, then they would have fired him already

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

I think it’s also possible that Licht is finally starting to wake up following the Baker debacle.

You can’t just plug and play any and every free agent. You need identify guys with the character and personality to mesh in the locker room.

Please wait…

• BucD

Participant

He should be timid right now, especially with his past abilities, or lack thereof, to sign FAs that work. That said, he can’t let it scare him too much. Build through the draft and you supplement through Free Agency.

He claimed, at the podium during the Combine, that this team is “really close.” Weird, because to me, the issues are…

Need a Left Guard, a Center, and Ali moving back to RG. BTW, I feel I need to reiterate what a fucking disaster move that was. It’s still infuriating to think about.

Outside of GMac, the defensive line/pass rush is an embarrassment. Full stop.

Outside of Grimes and Evans (MMAAAAAYYYBBEEEE Harvgreaves strictly at Nickel), the DBs are garbage.

Not worried about RB. It’s a crazy talented, deep draft. We’ll get at least one, maybe two if we don’t sign a guy in FA.

…I can’t blame him for saying that too much, but is that a team that looks close to you? Not sure how they legitimately fill those holes in one offseason. BTW, I must say that it does seem like the Glazer boys really like Licht. He’s been good at the most important aspect of being a GM. The draft. I doubt he’s been handcuffed by the boys.

Please wait…

• ufcguy32

Participant

Timid gets u sitting on your ass next year. Look at the eagles. Jags. Aggressive as hell. Dude cant evaluate for shit. Its sad i could probably pick free agents better than this clown

Please wait…

• Bucs_4_Life

Participant

Licht’s history of draft choices include:

Mike Evans (2014) – STUD, Kevin Pamphile (2014) – Desperately needs to be replaced as Starting LG, Jameis Winston (2015), Donovan Smith (2015) – Has not the consistency to be an elite LT; ranked 25th best LT by the bleacherreport, Ali – Marpet (2015) – Our best and most versatile o-linemen; ranked 10th best C by the bleacherreport, Kwon Alexander (2015) – One of the best young Inside LB in the game, Vernon Hargreaves (2016) – Seriously struggled in his 2nd season and seems to play timid playing on the outside, Noah Spence (2015) – Needs to stay healthy, Roberto Aguayo (2016) – Mistake being taken in the 2nd Rd, Ryan Smith (2016) – Didn’t play as well as expected, O.J. Howard (2017) – Looks like a daft steal to pair with Brate as a dynamic TE duo, Justin Evans (2017) – Makes playing a true cover 1 defense possible but must continue to improve route recognition, Chris Godwin (2017) – BIG Play WR in the making, Kendell Beckwith (2017) – Solid rookie year and young DAWG at LB

The ONLY Free Agents that he has hit on are: Clinton McDonald (DT), Brent Grimes (CB)

With a running game that all but disappeared last season, I’m trying to figure out why he didn’t make a play for Norwell? It’s not like he didn’t get a front row seat watching him play against us twice a year in Carolina! So why isn’t he trying to build up the trenches? The pass rush went on vacation too! Why not go after players like: Sheldon Richardson (DT), Malcom Butler (CB), Nate Solder (LT), Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Ryan Jensen (G), Josh Sitton. Then go after the backend with the likes of Malcolm Buter (CB)

That would show that he is ACTUALLY trying to turn this team around! Thoughts?

Please wait…

• Jpoe

Participant

what IF licht is just secretly making big moves around the league and everything he is doing is just kept super quiet. He sees the whole pewter shitting on him and he is just waiting for the transaction to go through and laugh at allll of us bucs fans as he brings in an elite playmaker at a position we need. what a great big “what IF” because licht isn’t doing shit or making any big moves right now… it will be interesting.

Please wait…

• Ja’crispy

Participant

I think its more so Licht learning from his past FA mistakes. He will go get some younger guys in FA to come improve/help this team. 3 maybe 4 guys. Maybe one higher priced top tier guy, then 3 2nd/3 tier guys. But nothing crazy like he has in the past cuz as we all know it didn’t work out.

Please wait…

• bodydenny

Participant

Piggy-backing on Bucs_4_Life: Licht’s drafts have been OK,but just OK. His real failing is not finding any jewels in the later rounds. Remember the way Rich McKay found Chidi Ahanatou in ( I believe) the 6th round? Steve white was another later pick that panned out. You basically had the best D-line in the NFL with 2 non-premium first rounders (Sapp/12,Booger/15?) and a splash free agent (Rice). The rest of the rotation was filled out with later picks and free agents. Licht has not been able to do this. If you can’t fill out your roster with later picks, you’d better have a clue in free agency. He doesn’t.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht zigs when he should zag. His FA period reminds me of my first middle school dance. Kept stepping on her feet, felt awkward, second guess everything… wanted out but had to stay. Felt like everyone was watching me. Go in for a kiss and bump her head and click teeth.

Licht needs a hug

Please wait…

• Knucknbuc

Participant

Licht sucks as a gm and it’s quite obvious. Could you imagine his record if we didn’t go on that mirage of a 5 game win streak?his fa signing have been mostly disasters except for Grime s McDonald and I’m not ready 2 give up on Jackson yet. Other then that a whole bunch of bums. And his drafts have been ok at best. I don’t count Mike Evans or jameis your supposed 2 hit picks that high. Oj looks ok but we just resigned his undrafted backup long term. His vh3 draft looks like absolute dogshit. Barring noah spence going simeon rice that was god awful and he has hit on no late round picks. Ill give him don smith marpet and kwon tho. Cant blame the glazers 4 telling licht 2 fuck off when it comes 2 the check book.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At Sundelius, the opposite could be asked, or assumed. Why didn’t they extend him if he is in such favor with the owners?

He has been awful as a GM, no denying this. If you think he has done a bang up job, you haven’t been paying attention.

No offense to anyone. But JL screwedmhimself when he traded up for a kicker. In round 2. Who isn’t even starting anywhere. The entire team is a mess. W-L record is bad. Real bad. The team has been lackluster, unexciting, and completely rudderless at times. Shame.

Please wait…

• ufcguy32

Participant

Exactly. Look at the eagles, being proactive not reactive. This ass clown still doesnt get it. Its not that free agency is bad. Its you cant fcking evaulate. Jville….heavy beavy free agency. Eagles….big trades and bold moves. Im sorry but if this idiot thinks they are close. He should be fired today and throw dirk on his ass as well. I watched them up close…..theyre not close. Believe me. And the division is arguably the toughest in football. You dont go to the playoffs by just resigning guys you went 5 and 11 with. How this guy cant see this is unreal

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

This ufcguy want the Bucs to add more WRs and TEs or what?

If Tampa doesn’t add some help for the defensive backfield and line then you can get mad but what? You’re pissed we didn’t add Allen Robinson and some overpriced guards?

Get a clue bud

Please wait…

• 4halfabuc

Participant

Hope I’m wrong, but it looks like the Bucs instead of stepping up to the free agent table will just get the leftovers!

Please wait…

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Bucs need to fix trenches.

DE
      DT
      OL

Throw in RB and CB too

Licht don’t screw this up! This should be an easy lay up.

Please wait…

Build the trenches!

• Jr.3

Participant

I’m wondering if the Glazer told him he was not aloud to trade away future picks. Peters and Quinn are the only two players I would have liked but I understand why you don’t pull the trigger on Quinn, he has declined as of late and has back problems.

Please wait…

• BucD

Participant

The freak outs here can be pretty damn entertaining sometimes, but the MELTDOWNS currently going down on Twitter in Buc Nation are hilariously entertaining. Even more so than most Bucs games this past season.

Please wait…

• entrekpk23

Participant

Check out Robert Ayers Tweet: https://twitter.com/1_900_ayersjr/status/973702678101536770?s=09

Please wait…

• spartan

Participant

Hey Boid, if Licht is not permitted to do anything to improve the team, why the hell did they not fire him then and get someone else? Your argument makes no sense.

Please wait…

• Tjax03

Participant

Because the owners have no idea what they are doing. This team won’t be great until the team is sold to a group that actually cares about winning.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure it does. For one, you never know what the hell people are thinking. It’s all speculation.

Second, maybe they really planned on having Gruden here but when they heard his proposal, they balked, as would I. So they were probably assuming Gruden would pick his guy. Who knows?

Third, it’s his last year on his deal, there really wasn’t any idea the team would be this awful, and he has had four seasons to try and assemble a winner. He has not, but why bother firing him on his last year when everyone knows the Bucs aren’t winning the Super Bowl next season, and why not just see if Licht can actually pull his head out of his ass long enough to realize he has work to do. And it doesn’t involve drinking beers, and jumping into a swimming pool. It wouldn’t hurt to let him try and get it together…but on a very restricted basis. Cannot cripple the cap, draft kickers within the first six rounds (nor a punter Mark Dominik55), cannot trade away major assets without approval, etc. He put together his team, after half a decade let’s see if he is correct in his assumption that this team isn’t that far off…he said it, not me.

Why not extend him if he is doing a bang up job? He is on a thin line, everyone knows it. So why give him the ability to mire the team, which is in a relatively good position as far as cap goes,having all draft picks stocked, and talent at the offensive skill positions. Resigning guys within the organization is a no-brainer. Brate is a good tight end, worth it. Grimes deal looks bad, but he is a good corner on a one year deal. Can’t hurt future staff with that. Kwon is on a price hunt, I expect the team to look very closely at him…next staff or this one.

It makes sense on some levels to restrict him. Not saying it is true entirely, but it would make some sense. It’s more than just his one chance to get it together. He has had four so far and it has been ugly as hell.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

I think Boid has this one spot on. Same reason why I’ve been stating that the Glazers won’t allow him to trade up for anyone.

Please wait…

• jerseybucsfan

Participant

So far a very rough day to be a fan of this team.

Please wait…

• Pennywise

Participant

I said long ago, Glazers will NOT allow this current staff GM and coaches to spend big in free agency, they are one and done to right the ship, and they won’t allow JL to saddle any future staff with bad signings

Dirk and JL will have to get things right with what they built over last cpl years, and this years draft…..and no JL will not be allowed to trade up

it’s sheet or get off the pot time for Dirk and JL

if they wet the bed as I suspect they will, get the guy I wanted this year as HC, Defillippio, who was Eagles QB coach but is now Vikes OC

Please wait…

• Tjax03

Participant

So going into jameis option year we will have a new staff

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

Much rougher day for Arizona and they’ve spent WAY more money than the Bucs today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hard not to think someone has their foot on the brake when you have Ayers and Kwon and GMC tweeting about the need for talent

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

Scratch that:

#Bucs have already spent over $30 million with Evans, Brate, Grimes, Humphries, Barber, Elliott, Glanton, Tandy and Allen! And have about $30 million more earmarked for contract extensions for Kwon Alexander, Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet later this year.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

The above is how you actually become a good team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@graham

you mean by drafting well so you have drafted players to reward/re-sign?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like I said, he will sign a lot of JAG’s, and if he signs a big time player, odds are it has been approved (Suh would sell jerseys and tickets) by The Glazers and their ilk. He hasn’t been re-upped for a reason.

Four years in, and this team has his fingerprints all over it. It is a roster he assembled and thought would be solid. Not sure what he was thinking, I have been lambasting him for not getting pass rushers years ago, even Dominik TRIED to shore up the ranks, it isn’t his fault that the players were either mental duds or lacked talent, or often both. It’s been a long time since the team has put together a pass rush. Long overdue, and odds are it won’t get solved this season.

But regarding these signings, if Licht can sign Okafor, bring in Josh Sitton or Jensen, sign Poe or Suh, hey Gaines or M.Claiborn,!then he will have addressed team needs with proven commodities. And I can’t blame the owners for hamstringing him, if that is Indeed what they are doing, because he hasn’t shown any solid game plan to date. The team is horrible on defense and the offense has gaudy numbers, but the turnovers are bad. The entire culture is loser football. We all know it, and it absolutely stinks. I am sick of it, but what can we do except rail against the leadership until media senses the dislike and reports it, and he gets replaced so we can enjoy watching football in the fall and winter again. It’s been a long while since we had something to look forward to, and I will be watching carefully to see if Licht sobers up. A DAMN KICKER?!?! Time for us to root for a winner again. We have been subjected to such a bad culture of losing and losing badly, we think winning 8 games is a solid season. Awful, and that doesn’t jibe with my personality. I hate losing, and watching losers is even worse.

Another dilemma is, what to do with the staff if they win say 9 or 10 games and they don’t make the playoffs but show some improvement (which given how bad the record was, how bad the defense played, and how many stupid turnoves and penalties the offense had), shouldn’t be hard, but with a loser culture, consistency has to be called into question. I think he wins 9-10 games, he gets a short, owner friendly extension to see if he can replicate his success. If not, he gets fired and the team knows he isn’t capable of fielding a consistently tough team. They move on without having to pay his salary for the next four years…which is something the owners must absolutely hate. I couldn’t imagine cutting a check to people I fired years ago. Ugh.

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

The Glazers have and always had Jason on a leash.

I wouldn’t be suprised if the Glazers aren’t behind some of the FA picks and draft picks.

Hell, they may have forced Dirk on Licht to avoid paying big $$ for a new coach.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

@CrownlessKing

Correct.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We don’t draft well. Licht doesn’t draft well.

Please wait…

• Tjax03

Participant

Maybe the glazers are the problem. I dont see things ever changing until the team is sold

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

We don’t draft well. Licht doesn’t draft well.

A typical perception based on unrealistic expectations. Licht has drafted exceptionally well in comparison to his peers. As evidenced by the amount of players he’s drafted or signed as un-drafted free agents getting to second contracts with this organization.

The freaking out around here the last couple weeks is getting to me. I may need to take a break.

Please wait…

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.