Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs GM: Choosing Brindza over Barth was a mistakemistake_zps8chsqc3o.jpg Connor Barth made all three of his field-goal tries and three extra points against the Jaguars. JASON BEHNKEN/STAFF By Roy Cummings | Tribune Staff Published: October 16, 2015TAMPA — Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht says he made a mistake letting go of kicker Connor Barth prior to the start of the season.“In hindsight, I shouldn’t have let him go,” Licht said earlier this week on SiriusXM NFL Radio’s “The Blitz.’’Barth was first brought back to Tampa to compete for the Bucs kicker’s job after he was released by the Broncos in late August, but he was let go again during the team’s final roster cutdown.The Bucs opted at that time to go with rookie Kyle Brindza, but Brindza struggled with his field goal kicking, missing five of his last six and two of his last four point-after tries.That led to the release of Brindza, who had been obtained in a trade with the Lions late in the preseason, and the re-signing of Barth, who paid immediate dividends after joining the team again last week.During the Bucs’ 38-31 victory over Jacksonville on Sunday, the Bucs’ all-time leader in field-goal percentage (84.3-percent) made all three of his field-goal tries and three extra points.Barth also recorded five touchbacks on eight kickoffs during the victory over the Jaguars and drove all eight of his kicks into the end zone. That came as a bit of a surprise, Licht said.“(Barth) has always been a steady kicker, but his kickoff leg has always been inconsistent, to put it mildly,’’ Licht said. “But then he comes in here last week and kicks five out of eight out of the back of the end zone. I think one went into the stands. I asked him where that came from and he said he had been working on it. So, he changed up his technique a little bit, but I think he realized that was his best chance to stick around for a long time.’’rcummings@tampatrib.comTwitter: @RCummingsTBO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glad he’s back. I like Brindza’s strong leg but man, that dude has some mental issues with his approach to the game. Very sad and I hope he figures it out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glad he's back. I like Brindza's strong leg but man, that dude has some mental issues with his approach to the game. Very sad and I hope he figures it out.

Think the club foot was acting up?One article stated that he has to go through a routine every day and work it out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This move cost us a game (arguably two). Think of how different things would be if we were 4-1 at the bye. Shame.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This move cost us a game (arguably two). Think of how different things would be if we were 4-1 at the bye. Shame.

I wish they would have just kept wright.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3-2 no doubt....and confidence building!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup.Lovie and Licht deserve heat for this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht has already admitted he screwed the pooch on this one…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We were lucky he was still available. One more week and he would have been picked up by one of the other teams that had struggling kicks that same week.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht has already admitted he screwed the pooch on this one...

That is good to hear, but he isn't a rookie GM anymore.  Can't make such mistakes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht has already admitted he screwed the pooch on this one...

That is good to hear, but he isn't a rookie GM anymore.  Can't make such mistakes.

He cast off two players for one, and that one made him look like a fool.Yup. He cannot keep making those kinds of mistakes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just don’t understand the weight of the difference between kickoffs that are 5 yards deep or on the goal line.The idea that his kick-off ability, not his FG%, will keep him in the league is insane to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just don't understand the weight of the difference between kickoffs that are 5 yards deep or on the goal line.The idea that his kick-off ability, not his FG%, will keep him in the league is insane to me.

There actually is a fairly solid correlation between opponents' starting field position and wins. Obviously punts and turnovers matter too, as they can flip the field.  http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2011/12/how-important-is-opponent-starting.htmlI generally agree with you that FG% more important, but he wasn't lighting it up in preseason there either. Also, cutting Koenen (who kicked off) had a impact on him making or not making the roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reese is right. Brindza I think was perfect in the preseason and had a number of 50+ field goals and was kicking everything into the endzone. At the time, I thought it was the right decision. I think Brindza will eventually figure it out and become a pretty good field goal kicker in the league, but he needed to be let go after the Carolina game. I'm still skeptical that Barth can keep up the long kickoffs for an entire year, if he can, then I'm sure he'll stick around next season. But if the kick offs fade back to around the 10 yard line like they did when he used to kick off for us, then look for the Bucs to again put Murray (on IR) against Barth in the off season.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Touchbacks are important though you dont want to give guys like Lockett a chance at taking it to the house.Hopefully Barth can hold up and keep getting it into the endzone.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.