Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• leeroybuc93

Participant

• Pennywise

Participant

damn right, bucs two leaders letting team know…good for Kwon and Jameis

• BucFanFromATL

Participant

That’s one thing I don’t like about Mike Smith calling the defense from the booth. I feel like coaches need to be on the sideline to get up in player’s grill when they are out there on the field BS’n…

I’ve seen Mike Smith lose his s*** on the sidelines plenty of times when he was the HC in Atlanta. So I know he’s capable… but it ain’t gonna happen from the booth. It shouldn’t be Jameis’s Job to ride players with bad attitudes… that’s a coaches job. There’s only a handful of players on this team that is fighting for something… The season is lost but where’s your pride?

You play to win the game… losing isn’t ok. Losing happens… but you shouldn’t be ok with it… not when players are out there giving it everything they got and you laugh when you F up. SMH that’s garbage.

• cheveliar

Participant

Monte just spoiled the hell out of us for 10 years. Short of those stats and more Smitty was doomed from the start.

• wolfet

Participant

Our staff is soft. Shouldn’t be up to just players to police this. I like that JW and Kwon called baker on his BS. Baker is exactly what we hoped he would not be. Koetter and Licht need to cut him as soon as contractually possible

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Our staff is soft. Shouldn’t be up to just players to police this.”

Was there some report that the coaching staff ignores plays like this?

• DCGoth

Participant

The locker room shouldn’t have to be policed by the players. Coaching staff should’ve handled this. Any altercations by players is a breakdown in coaching / leadership, regardless of the justified anger by the player, and I definitely agree that everyone on the team had a right to be pissed off.

I’d rather have a beer bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really?Coaches?Players getting after each other in a locker room after a close loss and a season like this …. normal

Funny thing is we have this thread blaming the coaches and another thread suggesting the players lack desire … because a single back up player went to Applebees at 10:30.

The Red Board ….

• DCGoth

Participant

@CK,

I agree it’s normal for players to be pissed after a disappointment like that; however, one comment in the article was that a lack of concern has been common from staff most of the season. (Paraphrasing, so that is not an exact comment).

The issue I have is that the coaches need to get on the players when they screw up. In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, but I feel like if the coaches are actively riding players for poor play / decisions, it sends a message to the other players that the staff is as passionate about winning as the players are. In watching post-game pressers, Koetter’s monotone just doesn’t give me a warm feeling that he has any passion for the game, or the outcome. (Even with Belichick, who is the king of monotone, you can tell when he’s pissed during post-game press conferences. Koetter just feels like he’s reporting for NPR.)

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Funny. When we had a disciplinarian at HC, it was frowned upon.

Weird…

• DCGoth

Participant

@DH,

Schiano was a little too ‘discipline.’ There has to be some give, and some rapport with the players. I could be wrong, but I never felt the team had a good relationship with Schiano. If you’re gonna have a disciplined staff, it needs to be more Ditka, as he mostly had the respect of his players. Also, same with Tom Landry, as much as I hate to give credit to anything ‘Cowboys.’

One of the best coaches I’ve seen that had a good balance was Madden.

• TCB2W!

Participant

@DonkeyHunter

Uh, the players didn’t like it. “How bad is it there? It’s worse than you can imagine,” says one NFL player who spent 2012 with the Bucs. “It’s like being in Cuba.”

“Peyton cussed him out,” recalls former Bucs defensive end Michael Bennett, who signed with the Seattle Seahawks as a free agent last March. “And I ain’t never heard Peyton cuss.”

According to Bennett, Bucs players weren’t thrilled with Schiano’s legal-but-dubious decree, either.

“People just really hate it when you have to dive at people’s legs,” Bennett says. “At the end of the day, we’ve got to keep going and move onto the next game and try to make a living. Some of these guys (on other teams) are our friends.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000268792/article/greg-schiano-loses-tampa-bay-buccaneers-with-autocratic-style

Haha, I wasn’t on the RB at that time, but I only ever heard the players were complaining. None of the fans I know.

• bculaw

Participant

This is symptomatic of the problem with our FO and coaching staff, IMO. Baker has underachieved all year and clearly doesn’t have the type of work ethic we want in the locker room. He’s also one of the guys that complained publicly early in the season about his role. Unless I’m mistaken, he’s also a guy that could be released next season with no negative implication to the cap. In other words, He’s a perfect guy of whom to make an example. Cut the guy NOW and show the team that players with his attitude, effort, and lack of professionalism will not be tolerated. We missed this opportunity with ASJ two seasons (or last pre-season) ago, and with D. Martin last season. You want to change the losing culture? It starts with accountability and with getting rid of those not fully committed to making the team better. His release would benefit this team far more than his continued presence and play.

• bculaw

Participant

And by the way, I’m not blaming the staff and front office for the altercation. They happen and sometimes they’re beneficial. I’m blaming them for the utter lack of accountability that seems to plague this organization. Baker is exactly the type of player you don’t want mixing with a young, impressionable locker room. It’s a mistake to bring him in, but an even bigger one to let him stay and fester. He’s given the team a perfectly good reason to make an example of him (as did ASJ, D. Martin, Bobo Wilson, etc.) and the FO and coaching staff let’s him stay. It’s a bad and longstanding precedent that ultimately harms the team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bennett complaining about having to dive at people’s knees? The freakin irony

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought they did make an example of ASJ by cutting him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Swaggy Fat Boy should be put on IR for the remainder. Bring a practice squad DT type in here and see if you can strike oil. Swaggy Pasta Breakfast is as good as gone. He honestly looked like 10 pounds of crap stuffed into a 5 pound bag. What a joke…lazy.

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Chris Baker‏Verified account
      @cbakerswaggy
      Follow Follow @cbakerswaggy

Not going to feed into this negativity GOD LOVES YOU…I love my job I put my all into every week. I HATE losing more than anyone. I will do my best to help my team win on Sundays!!! NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME SHALL PROSPER

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another homerun by our boy Jason… good job on all these free agents you brought in. Has anyone’s batting average on FA’s ever been as bad as Jason? You’d think a blind squirrel picking names out of a hat would have a better return than he has.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Baker has been awful, and his Twitter made me laugh. He can smile at losses, I can laugh at his twit tweets.

He clearly ate too many fuggin Snickers bars. Did the opposite.

• The Anomaly

Participant

Can’t have team leaders attacking any player, right or wrong. That’s not the way to handle it.

• JC5100

Participant

That’s exactly how to handle it. Have you ever been around football?

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Agree with JC1000
      Its not that he made a mistake, all players do that.
      If he sat at his locker with his head down, the other players would of rallied around him.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Like Kwon has any room to talk.

58 took a horrible angle in the Falcons game and “let” Freeman go on a long TD run in the 4th quarter– didn’t even chase on the play.

• jcaulfield8

Participant

The guys that put it in every single day and live and die on those 16 games each year hate when a teammates Doesn’t show the same passion and commitment to themselves and the team. Now itcould beProcesses situations differently, but in this case I would be willing to bet this is a continual theme if they’re having a go at him in the locker room in front of the press

• BucFanFromATL

Participant

Listen if anyone has played football here on any level and really cared about the win… you understand completely where Winston and Kwon were coming from. They just came off a game on Monday night that they could have won and it literally sent 5 players to IR. The season is over but the majority of the team is still out there giving it 100% and putting it ALL on the line, for pride and respect. PERIOD.

Then you have another game where we were up with the possibility to close out the game on defense. Where the defense actually played a good game up until the end. Kwon is the QB of the defense and he takes a hit to his pride everytime we lose and it is directly the defense’s fault. Especially at the end of the game. Jameis Winston was literally getting murdered behind a makeshift offensive line (missing a bunch of starters due to injury) and he is giving it all of 100% every play. The Buccaneers had a chance to win that game. At the end of the day it comes down to the “why’s”… Why are we playing the game. It’s about pride, it’s about respect, it’s about winning. That is a mentality. Some of these guys are old and have already made millions of dollars and have never been a part of a winning organization, we get it… They are mentally done with the grind of football when the season is over and they feel like they aren’t playing for anything. That is ultimately a LOSER’s mentality. “I got mine” and “we aren’t going to make the post season so it doesn’t matter that I cost us this game, I got my money” that’s BS. No matter how you slice that cake it is infuriating…

Jameis Winston and Kwon Alexander embody the frustration of the organization and the fan base that are completely fed up with that loser mentality. Before Winston became a Buccaneer he had ONLY been a winner. He only lost 1 game in college… He’s won a National Title, He’s won a Heisman, He’s been a part of many winning teams… No matter what the record at the end of the season shows, he has a Winner’s mentality and a Winner’s mindset… He and players of his ilk are going to be the reason why this organization turns the corner WHEN this organization indeed turns the corner.

It goes back to the why’s… one of the most important things Winston said to the media in his exit interviews after his rookie campaign:
      http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/bucs-panthers-turning-point-week-17-jameis-winston-calls-out-team/2259890

His first words at his postgame news conference:

“I’m just ready for next year.”

Winston didn’t want to talk about becoming the third rookie in NFL history to pass for 4,000 yards in a single season. He didn’t want to talk about whether six wins was a sign of progress for a team that won only two last season.

Instead, Winston talked about establishing a mentality in the offseason.

“We’re going to create a winning mindset,” he said. “A mindset that you will never give up. A relentless mindset of being able to persevere over adversity.”

Then Winston suggested the Bucs’ culture needs to change.

“I guarantee (there are) some of our coaches that want it more than some of our players. And that’s the bad part,” he said, pointing at the questioner. “That’s the bad part. Our coaches want it. They want it. They’re up there working hours, don’t even get to see their families. … I know our coaches want it. We need to get our guys to put in the work like our coaches put in.”

They asked Winston about his rookie campaign, throwing for over 4000 yards after the loss week 17 to the Panthers… Winston brushed the accolades to the side because that means nothing to him if the team isn’t successful. We have our leader. It IS Jameis Winston. Does he have growing up and maturing to do? Yes… Does he have flaws in his game? Yes… But the bottom line is, those things can be fixed over time… they will never be fixed without the right mentality… the want to, the desire, the passion to do it. Winston has that and then some.

I’ll finish it off with one of my favorite tirades in coaching history, Mr. Mike Singletary. His words ring true still to this day… it’s about mentality:

“Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach them,” Singletary said of players like Davis, adding that he would rather play with 10 men. “Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.”

• dark uncle

Participant

I have a hard time believing that the anger was over a single smile, this could have been the straw that broke and sent Kwon and Jameis over the edge. These guys practice together all the time, they know the score. I know guys who deceive themselves into thinking they are “all that” but aren’t.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Swaggy Body by Bacon just never practiced hard. He never played hard.

He ate hard. And talked hard.

And sucked hard.

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

I played at the college level, I saw a dust up 2 times in our locker room after tough losses and saw one after a win because of something that happened during the/after the game. These guys aren’t quitting and it’s good to see that they are willing to fight for it. That being said Winston and Kwon need to perform better and lead the team to a non 4-12 season before I could take them too seriously about this.

• Anonymous

Inactive

SB team held each other accountable. That’s what this team needs. Glad to see Kwon take issue with Baker. Maybe the true leaders surface this season.

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Rick Stroud‏
      @NFLSTROUD
      Following Following @NFLSTROUD
      1 min ago
      #Bucs DT Chris Baker, the target of a locker room confrontation by teammates after Sunday’s game, declined an opportunity to talk with reporters Wednesday.

• BerubesBucs

Participant

Rick Stroud‏
      @NFLSTROUD
      1 min ago
      #Bucs DT Chris Baker, the target of a locker room confrontation by teammates after Sunday’s game, declined an opportunity to talk with reporters Wednesday.

—–

Good… not interested in hearing from him ever again.

• The Anti-Java

Participant

BerubesBucs
      Dec 27, 17 at 1:00 pm #1050816
      Rick Stroud‏
      @NFLSTROUD
      1 min ago

—–

Good… not interested in hearing from him ever again.
      ===================

The best play he has made all season.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.