Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Constant relocation takes its toll on NFL wiveswarhop_zpsil6z4xq5.pngPhoto: Simon Bruty/SIBY GRANT COHN    SI.comPosted:    Fri Sep. 4, 2015In cities across the NFL, the demanding rituals of relocation are well-known to the families of players and coaches: contact the realtors, study the school systems, pick a community, find the new doctors, handle the kids’ emotions, shed an old life and start afresh. The teams help, but inevitably much of the burden falls to the wives and girlfriends and significant others. They’re the ones whose work every day allows Sundays to remain paramount for the pros.For the past two years, George Warhop has coached the offensive line of the Buccaneers. He and his family—his wife, Lori; son, Jacob; and daughter, Olivia—are settled and happy. Jacob, 17, is an aspiring artist who works mostly with pencil and charcoal. Olivia, 19, will be a freshman at Elon (N.C.) University in the fall and plans to double-major in business and marketing. But six years ago things were different for this family. They weren’t just difficult; they were touch and go.In May 2009, seven months after George was fired as the 49ers’ offensive line coach and three months after he took the same job with the Browns, Olivia started feeling pain in her left leg. George couldn’t help—he’d already relocated from Northern California to Ohio—so Lori contacted the 49ers’ trainer, Jeff Ferguson. He got Olivia immediately into Stanford Hospital, where a large tumor was discovered in her tibia.The pathology report indicated a benign growth, so the Warhops were stunned when, 10 days later, Olivia’s doctor rushed into the examining room as her stitches were being checked and announced that he had diagnosed a potentially fatal bone cancer. “You can’t move to Cleveland,” he told Lori. “Olivia has to stay here and have tests. You’ll be lucky if we don’t have to amputate.”But Lori knew what was best for her family: She moved the kids to Ohio. Trainers and team doctors from the Browns connected Olivia with the Cleveland Clinic where Olivia received an eventual diagnosis of MyroFibrosarcoma, an extremely rare form of bone cancer. But her leg didn’t need to be amputated, and after a six-hour tibia resection, followed by a six-day hospital stay, followed by wheelchairs, crutches, rehab, three bone grafts, two plates along her tibia and 13 screws, she was declared cancer-free one year after the initial diagnosis. The summer Olivia was in the hospital, Lori spent every day with her. George, while coaching two-a-days, went to his daughter’s room at night and slept in a chair by her bed. The Warhops’ harrowing story is not typical of NFL families, but parts of it are all too familiar. “Everybody thinks the football life is so glamorous,” says Lori. “But there are people in the trenches who do a lot of the hard work. For the team, it’s the coaches, the equipment guys, the trainers. For the [players], it’s the girlfriends, the wives.”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

(Wipes tears)...fire warhop.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is the story’s headline implying football contributed to her cancer?  Story headline should be about the benefits of a profession that offers world class medical coverage seamlessly allowing employees unlimited relocation potential between franchises.  Most of us get fired and find a new gig we have a bit of a coverage transition.  Very happy to read she has recovered. They can all kma on the moving.  Many of those moves are made by choice.  I know they spent a lot of time away most of the year.  Army brat says hi.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I bet she can coach our line up better tho.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Guys, you may not like George Warhop or consider him a good coach, but he’s really not the problem. I think he’s doing his best. The problem is with the coach that hired him and then kept him after his unit didn’t show any progress last season.There is at least two ways you can look at Warhop's lack of success. One is that maybe he's a good coach, but he was coaching crap last season (and lets not blame Gilkey and Cousins on him, L&L sign the players) or he had enough talent last season and just was a lousy coach.Considering the most of the players along that line last year are gone, I think L&L seem to think the problem is with them. I'm willing to give the guy another shot. Koetter coached with Warhop before, if Koetter didn't have any faith in Warhop's ability as coach, I think he'd have strongly pointed that out when hired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Guys, you may not like George Warhop or consider him a good coach, but he's really not the problem. I think he's doing his best. The problem is with the coach that hired him and then kept him after his unit didn't show any progress last season.There is at least two ways you can look at Warhop's lack of success. One is that maybe he's a good coach, but he was coaching crap last season (and lets not blame Gilkey and Cousins on him, L&L sign the players) or he had enough talent last season and just was a lousy coach.Considering the most of the players along that line last year are gone, I think L&L seem to think the problem is with them. I'm willing to give the guy another shot. Koetter coached with Warhop before, if Koetter didn't have any faith in Warhop's ability as coach, I think he'd have strongly pointed that out when hired.

You made an assertion that Gilkey and Cousins being on the roster should be blamed on LiLo yet later in your post offer a psychological reversal stating Koetter could've influenced Warhop being gone if he felt his coaching was subpar, conveniently forgetting that LiLo are the decision-makers for staff and personnel hirings.But back to the point...fire Warhop, his wife and kids, and every thing associated to his suckage...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe if her husband was a good coach they wouldn’t bounce around so much.  ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Guys, you may not like George Warhop or consider him a good coach, but he's really not the problem. I think he's doing his best. The problem is with the coach that hired him and then kept him after his unit didn't show any progress last season.There is at least two ways you can look at Warhop's lack of success. One is that maybe he's a good coach, but he was coaching crap last season (and lets not blame Gilkey and Cousins on him, L&L sign the players) or he had enough talent last season and just was a lousy coach.Considering the most of the players along that line last year are gone, I think L&L seem to think the problem is with them. I'm willing to give the guy another shot. Koetter coached with Warhop before, if Koetter didn't have any faith in Warhop's ability as coach, I think he'd have strongly pointed that out when hired.

You made an assertion that Gilkey and Cousins being on the roster should be blamed on LiLo yet later in your post offer a psychological reversal stating Koetter could've influenced Warhop being gone if he felt his coaching was subpar, conveniently forgetting that LiLo are the decision-makers for staff and personnel hirings.But back to the point...fire Warhop, his wife and kids, and every thing associated to his suckage...

Licht and Lovie are responsible for the players and coaches, but I'm sure they take into account information from the coaches. If Warhop recommended that Gilkey and Cousins should be looked at and L&L signed them, that's one thing. But L&L are responsible for keeping those players ON the roster, Warhop doesn't make that decision. As far as the Koetter connection goes, it works the same way, if Koetter had a problem with Warhop being on his side of the coaching staff, I bet he could have influenced L&L to make a change. It still would have been L&L's ultimate call, but I can't envision them keeping Warhop unless Koetter was on board with the call. Make no mistake, Koetter had other suitors, if he wasn't on board with Warhop coaching the offensive line, especially with the problems Atlanta had on their line, are you confident he still would have come to the Bucs?Ultimately it still comes down to L&L. If Warhop is still employed, it's their fault whether it's because he's a bad coach or because they are giving him crap and telling him to make it into an effective offensive line. Last season, I think the players were crap, this year, I expect better.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

wah!  I guess that $400 K a year salary doesn’t make it worth while. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe if her husband was a good coach they wouldn't bounce around so much.  ::)

Ouch!Truth hurts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Responsibility of the Oline falls on Lovie.  Warhop, Anthony Collins, EDS, and the draft picks are his.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe if her husband was a good coach they wouldn't bounce around so much.  ::)

Not even that really.  I am sure the guy could settle in at a college program and be an online coach for 20 years in one place.  Make a pretty nice living for himself as well.  If family stability is really a top priority for the Warhops.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

(Wipes tears)...fire warhop.

Lmao!

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Is the story's headline implying football contributed to her cancer?  Story headline should be about the benefits of a profession that offers world class medical coverage seamlessly allowing employees unlimited relocation potential between franchises.  Most of us get fired and find a new gig we have a bit of a coverage transition.  Very happy to read she has recovered. They can all kma on the moving.  Many of those moves are made by choice.  I know they spent a lot of time away most of the year.  Army brat says hi.

If I read it right I think it was the daughter with the cancer.

Please wait…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.